Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:23 am 

So Archspire are finally letting us hear some new stuff, 20 second teaser of the song sounds fucking sick IMO.

https://youtu.be/LY8RFaMs0Ac

Thoughts?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:29 am 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this. I've liked everything they've done so far, and they have made a little niche for themselves within technical death metal. I'm only judging by that small snippet, but I think this is going to be another great album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:11 am 

For this to finally grab me, they need to chill out and let the songs breathe instead of having the majority of them be tweaker tech with a few mosh parts like they usually do, and Oli especially needs to chill the fuck out and keep the whole "Strange Music rapper doing tech death" thing to an occasional party trick for when the song calls for it, not constantly being a motormouth like he usually does.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:25 am 

That's kinda their gimmick though, and they're one of the best at it. It'd be like asking a funeral doom band if they'd pick up the tempo occasionally. It's not something I'm in the mood for often, but it's kind of fun to hear stuff that's just balls-out bonkers. Origin's Antithesis has a similar effect.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:46 pm 

Tough to say the new album will top Relentless Mutation. Either way, I'm ready for new Archspire.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:38 pm 

Title and cover art for the next album

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 pm 

I have to be in a certain mood for them. Really talented band, I'll probably check it out

JimbolikesPizza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:19 pm 

Excited to see the new album and loved Relentless Mutation.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 pm 

Soulless tech death, can't stand it. Guys are also fucking assholes and full of themselves.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:30 am 

orphy wrote:
Soulless tech death, can't stand it. Guys are also fucking assholes and full of themselves.

On one hand, they've been cool to my friends who have toured with them. On the other hand, yeah, they kind of have a rep on big packages for being pains in the ass who will set the whole night back multiple times a week because they take a fucking insane amount of time to set up most of the time and will not just say "good enough" if they're having technical problems. Oli's also an annoying manchild idiot who, to the best of my knowledge, lost social media privileges for at least a year as a condition of not getting chucked off SOM after he made some criminally unfunny edgy jokes about the Le Bataclan attacks.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:33 am 

Archspire is not a tech-death band trying to reel in non-tech-death fans. They're not going to adapt their music to please people who don't enjoy them. Why anyone would think that is beyond me.

"Soulless"-counter: 1

Oli being a manchild is true though, no doubt about that. Dean is definitely full of himself, though he tries to hide it. Jared doesn't even try to hide it. Dunno about the rest, Tobi seems like a great guy.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm 

New song released in its entirety.

I love the song, but I don't think it will win any of the people disliking the band over

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:18 pm 

Song's great! Another sweet tech death release this year.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:37 pm 

Song is sick, especially the last minute or so. Fucking hell.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:49 pm 

Wow, lots of talking shit in this thread. From what I've seen of Dean and Tobi, they're both really laid-back, cool, genuine guys.

Anyway, water-cooler gossip aside, this song kicks ass.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jiggleslinky
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 pm 

I'm impressed at how the song keeps that mid paced groove throughout the entire thing. I'm so excited for this album.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm 

Theres just something about Archspire's fast vocals that really do it for me and pulls me in. New song is killer. Looking forward to the rest (despite my previous post).

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 pm 

I think I read somewhere that Oliver's biggest vocal inspiration are all rappers, and I think that really shows in this song. Especially that stuttered vocal pattern (it probably has a name but idk what it is) at 2:38.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 am 

tahu157 wrote:
I think I read somewhere that Oliver's biggest vocal inspiration are all rappers, and I think that really shows in this song. Especially that stuttered vocal pattern (it probably has a name but idk what it is) at 2:38.

It's just splitting a double-tracked part in half with panning. First you hear it in the left ear, then in the right, then in both ears.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:21 am 

tahu157 wrote:

Dude's entire shtick is that he wants to be able to fast rap but with harsh vocals. Hell, the start of Calamus Will Animate is a direct rip off (self admitted) of Tech N9ne's Stamina
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:11 am 

It started off kinda grabbing me with that big, chunky mosh riff at the start, but then it descended into their typical obnoxiously jumpy and twitchy methed-out Spawn of Possession antics while Oli did his best to emulate some obnoxious chopper dude who can mash ludicrous amounts of syllables into a single bar but can't actually make an enjoyable rap to save their lives (e.g. Twisted Insane, almost everyone associated with Tech N9ne). There are a lot of things that made Spawn of Possession legendary and Archspire somehow manages to not hit a single one of them despite clearly having them as their main source of inspiration.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:09 am 

Early Tonedeff and mid-era Busdriver are some examples of well-done hip-hop vocal gymnastics.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:29 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
tahu157 wrote:

It's just splitting a double-tracked part in half with panning. First you hear it in the left ear, then in the right, then in both ears.

Sorry I think my timestamp was off just a bit. More like 2:40 where he does that buhbuh, buhbuh, buhbuh, pattern. Almost like a heartbeat. I wish I had an example rap song to contrast with but I don't.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Busdriver

Busdriver is pretty great.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:33 pm 

matras wrote:
New song released in its entirety.

I love the song, but I don't think it will win any of the people disliking the band over

Pretty damn good! Frankly, this is far less wanky than the reputation of Archspire would have led me to leave. Honestly, it's pretty coherent, if fast. Sure there's some fast tapping but this isn't some completely astructural wankfest.

Also I hate to be the one to state this but the last 1:30 of this song--everything after the solo--is just, like, four breakdowns in a row, lmao, like wow. Those are some good old meatheaded chugdowns. They aren't even trying to be like complicated or technical.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm 

Archspire is one of the only (if not the only) modern technical death metal bands I can stand, because, despite their ridiculous speed, they're still songwriters. Like, I can actually remember an Archspire song after I hear it. Also, at 350 beats per minute or whatever the fuck they advertise themselves as, it becomes easier to find a groove in the music and it doesn't really sound so ridiculously fast all of a sudden. The first two songs from Relentless Mutation are excellent examples of this.

OAmazoni
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:14 pm 

They've done what they propose to do, fast, clean and brutal tech death
Really excited for the new album

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:14 pm 

The second single is out:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:36 pm 

Yeah that song was fantastic. Even better than the first single. Looking forward to this album even more now.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:42 am 

The second single is probably the best song I've heard from Archspire, but I can't be the only one who hears the riff from Pounded into Dust?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:27 pm 

The third single is out:

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:18 pm 

the sort of rapping parts and the reliance on the pick squeals are the only real turn offs for me....otherwise their new stuff is fucking really impressive. new song is cool.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:47 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The second single is out:

Damn, first song ended with like four braindead breakdowns in a row and this one just started with one!

I'll have to listen a few more times but as I'm listening, this song seems really damn vocal-driven. Besides the speed of the riffs the guitars weren't doing much of note underneath the vocals. I almost concur with the guy above--the instruments almost feel more like a beat for the vocalist to perform over.

oh my fucking god this one ends with a breakdown too they have to be intentionally doing this at this point

_Summum_Malum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:44 pm 

*bump* (sorry if this is a repost - browser timed out)

I can't wait. I've listened to this track once, and am trying to hold off for the album. I love Relentless Mutation (wearing the shirt right now). Some of the most colourful (tech) death metal around. There's a certain pop sensibility to their music that I find refreshing. It's almost mall metal, yet isn't.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:49 pm 

The hype machine for this album is through the roof:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/archspire ... re-review/
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:55 pm 

I'm really excited for this album, all of the singles have been amazing. The guitars seem a lot heavier than they were on Relentless Mutation, so that's pretty exciting.

_Summum_Malum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:09 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
The hype machine for this album is through the roof:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/archspire ... re-review/

I can't wait for this. I'm very excited. I'm spinning this bad boy Saturday morning.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 pm 

This sounds like 6 shredder Instagram reels played at the same time, put on fast-forward.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:22 pm 

The full album stream is up:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:02 pm 

Liked the album. But the story made me feel physical pain in my brain, so confusing... I love it.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:50 am 

AOTY.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next