* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Prigione Eterna wrote:
I always thought he stood out among the screamers, but actually little of what he's done is really death metal; even less than Akerfeldt who at least did Bloodbath, which is straight up death metal.

Akerfeldt did vocals on both Brave Murder Day and Crimson, both are examples of fucking phenomenal death metal vocals, what are you talking about? Bloodbath is only a side kick in comparison.

Phenomenal indeed, I meant that neither Opeth, Katatonia nor Koskinen's bands are strictly talking "death metal". They also both do or did much more than death metal screaming. But perhaps you're right that it's too nitpicky a distinction...

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 pm 

markhebb wrote:
John Tardy….end of debate

The most inhuman death growls ever committed to wax. You can pretty much cite anything he’s done- but Cause Of Death would be the pinnacle…

Yes, a thousand times over. No one else comes close.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 am 

It's weird to see Akerfeldt mentioned so much, in my shitty opinion he sounds pretty weak and is easily my least favourite aspect of Bloodbath.

I like powerful and/or wet-sounding growls. LG Petrov and Corpsegrinder have been favourites of mine over the years, but otherwise I don't think about it too much. Van Drunen and early Chuck Schuldiner I love as well.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 am 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
I agree with those that mentioned Demilich, if anything because that kind of singing is so unorthodox, even for death metal.

For some reason mostly only Finnish singers seem to be able to pull it off. Antti Haapanen on my longer list has a more powerful, less frog-like version of it. It's superficially similar to what a lot of brutal/slam bands do, but the character and effect is quite different. Amputated's "Gargling With Infected Semen" is kind of the near-parodic apotheosis of it.

Floodland wrote:
Prigione Eterna wrote:
I always thought he stood out among the screamers, but actually little of what he's done is really death metal; even less than Akerfeldt who at least did Bloodbath, which is straight up death metal.

Akerfeldt did vocals on both Brave Murder Day and Crimson, both are examples of fucking phenomenal death metal vocals, what are you talking about? Bloodbath is only a side kick in comparison.

I don't think that's quite fair since Bloodbath is actually just straight-up death metal and pretty iconic at this point, where as much as I adore them BMD and Crimson are much more than just death metal. But regardless, Akerfeld's actual output of harsh vocals is still pretty extensive (almost a dozen albums plus some guest appearances), probably more than guys like Lord Worm, who has been mentioned a number of times.

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:40 am 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
Pelata wrote:
Pasi Koskinen

You are right insofar the thread is titled 'Favorite death metal vocalists'. However, Pasi has done some really impressive growls, be it in a death metal context or not - the first two Shape of Despair albums as a prime example.

My own picks seem to align with what many people have been saying in this thread: Mikael Akerfldt, Ross Dolan, Frank Mullen, Peter Tagtgren, Bo Summers, Paul Kuhr, John Gallagher; one I didn't see mentioned yet is Spiros Antoniou from Septic Flesh.

EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:13 am 

mirons wrote:
one I didn't see mentioned yet is Spiros Antoniou from Septic Flesh.

I've only heard a couple of their songs, but those vocals are really good. I got a little turned off by the weird cleans in "Anubis", but I'm starting to warm up to them. Might listen to some of their albums soon.

AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:52 am 

The dude from Portal. Guy with clock on head. Fantastic DM vocalist. Truly creepy sounding.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am 

I can only agree with the John Tardy and the Septic Flesh guy mentions. Great, great performers. LG Petrov always sounded to me too much of a try-hard than having a voice that is both organic/natural and unique.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:10 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
mirons wrote:
one I didn't see mentioned yet is Spiros Antoniou from Septic Flesh.

I've only heard a couple of their songs, but those vocals are really good. I got a little turned off by the weird cleans in "Anubis", but I'm starting to warm up to them. Might listen to some of their albums soon.

Just listen to everything these guys did from Mystic Places of Dawn all the way to A Fallen Temple, Revolution DNA NOT included. Holy fucking shit those vocals, like a fucking alien.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:32 am 

Endarkening wrote:
markhebb wrote:

The most inhuman death growls ever committed to wax. You can pretty much cite anything he’s done- but Cause Of Death would be the pinnacle…

I promise I'm not saying this to be an edge lord, but I do not like his vocals. They are so distracting and strange to me. I can still enjoy and appreciate some Obituary now and again, but definitely not for his vocals.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 am 

SladeCraven wrote:
Endarkening wrote:
markhebb wrote:

I promise I'm not saying this to be an edge lord, but I do not like his vocals. They are so distracting and strange to me. I can still enjoy and appreciate some Obituary now and again, but definitely not for his vocals.

Haha, that what makes Obituary so awesome, Tardy's twisted, unique, ghoulish vocals and that in turn what makes Obituary so singular among all death metal. Tardy IS Obituary, and vice versa.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 am 

Quote:
Haha, that what makes Obituary so awesome, Tardy's twisted, unique, ghoulish vocals and that in turn what makes Obituary so singular among all death metal. Tardy IS Obituary, and vice versa.

They're definitely unmistakable, I'll give him that. There's no confusing Obituary with anyone else.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:08 am 

Not the biggest Black Metal fan but I think maybe a similar thread for favorite vocalists in that genre would be cool as well.

devil1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:15 am 

Bret Hoffman ( rip) always enjoyed his fast- savage growls

EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:26 am 

des91 wrote:
Not the biggest Black Metal fan but I think maybe a similar thread for favorite vocalists in that genre would be cool as well.

Why not make one?

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:40 am 

des91 wrote:

I wouldn't know who's who even under a gun point. I love black metal, but vocally they all sound the same to me.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:41 am 

devil1111 wrote:
Bret Hoffman ( rip) always enjoyed his fast- savage growls

Good call. His vocals on Retribution are major league! Love those vocals, love that album.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:44 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
des91 wrote:

Why not make one?

There's already this one that could be bumped.

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127718

EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 pm 

Good idea, I'll bump that

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:55 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
des91 wrote:

Why not make one?

Just feel like I’m not qualified enough to make one, as I only like maybe 5 bands in the whole genre. But I am interested to see how people view the vocalists of the ones I do like.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:16 pm 

Since the big names (and my personal favorites) have been already mentioned, I'd like to mention the guy from Lykathea Aflame, not particularly original, but he sounds how demons (likely) sound.

Spoiler: show

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:43 pm 

Have to go with Chris Reifert, Craig Pillard, and Wannes Gubbels. All three have different styles, but also carry attributes of everything I want to hear in death metal vocals.

AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:09 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Have to go with Chris Reifert, Craig Pillard, and Wannes Gubbels. All three have different styles, but also carry attributes of everything I want to hear in death metal vocals.

Finally someone else recognizes Reifert. Endorsed.

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:22 pm 

markhebb wrote:

Death metal Scooby Doo? Pass.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:59 pm 

Runko wrote:
markhebb wrote:

He didn't say Rick ta Life.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm 

Runko wrote:
markhebb wrote:

I think that's a better description for later Six Feet Under-Barnes albums.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:21 pm 

mirons wrote:
Prigione Eterna wrote:
Pelata wrote:
Pasi Koskinen

You are right insofar the thread is titled 'Favorite death metal vocalists'. However, Pasi has done some really impressive growls, be it in a death metal context or not - the first two Shape of Despair albums as a prime example.

C'mon folks, Ajattara have at least as much DM as BM in their DNA :P

And Litho has Kotamäki and Stanne in his original honorable mentions list, who are known for doom and melodeath respectively, so there's always leeway...
What I mean: outside of SoD (which is a great showcase of his infernal deep end, though the recording quality was mostly meh when it came to all vocal parts including Nata's :grr: ), Koskinen did all the growls live with Amorphis starting with 1999 at least, and they did play material from Tales and even some TKI material back then, which is quite DM-ish if you ask me. The Moscow-2002 show is on youtube and features The Castaway, Drowned Maid, In the Beginning and BWD, let alone the tracks from Elegy that still have a strong (if "melodic") DM flavour.
They played Grail's Mysteries in 2003, but both the (infamous) Tuska-2003 and Ruisrock-2003, which did include it, are only available online in truncated versions (I don't even know if full recordings exist; I'd probably kill for the complete Ruisrock-2003 show... same as for many other boots from that Amo era)

And then there is TStFftB, which is deathgrind, and especially their live boot features some brilliant growls and screams courtesy of Herr Arschstein... in all honesty, while I'm quite likely among P.A.Koskinen's biggest fans like evah, I have an issue with how he is too fond of multitracking in the studio, which he doesn't really need. All those "harsh harmonies" might be fun and creative and what not, but when I just want to hear the voice without gimmicks, it's always live boots.

Yeah, the song is a bit of a tribute to No Love Lost :)

Okay, now that I've done gushing about P.K. (for now), I'll throw in a few more names not yet mentioned (or maybe I can't read, that's also possible).
These all have that infernal quality to their growls and also quite a bit of versatility to their midrange and sometimes above.

- Michael Dormann of Anasarca

- Sébastien Croteau of Necrotic Mutation

https://necroticmutation.bandcamp.com

- "Unexpected Visitor" of Perkulatory (may or may not be Dan Swanö, would be cool if people who know Swanö's voice better than I do could weigh in)
https://perkulatory.bandcamp.com/album/ ... dependence

And then, I really like early Tomi Koivusaari. Yes he didn't really know what he was doing in terms of technique and his voice was basically gone by Elegy (in terms of getting the best sound, they should've actually had Koskinen do all the vocal parts back then, but I guess the band did have enough commercial sensibility to "ease the new frontman in" gradually). But holy hell, Koivusaari had character in spades back then on TKI and Tales...

(yes it's one of my favourite Amorphis songs)

A somewhat similar sound is found with Danny Martinez of Crucifixion:
https://lacavernarecs.bandcamp.com/albu ... -of-horror

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:29 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:

- "Unexpected Visitor" of Perkulatory (may or may not be Dan Swanö, would be cool if people who know Swanö's voice better than I do could weigh in)

Doesn't sound like him, and I think he was pretty much done doing extensive vocals by then.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:09 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Chris Barnes in early Cannibal Corpse albums have some of the most grueling growls I've ever heard, and that's what makes those early CC albums shine. It's kinda sad to see where Chris's vocals are at now though...

This. Weirdly enough I enjoy his vocals the most on The Bleeding, which is where everybody started hating his vocals because it was sounding shot to shit. I thought at that particular point his voice had more character and wasn't just the standard meat and potatoes death metal sound, and at this point he was using high screeches more and more.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:15 am 

Outside of the ones already mentioned (particularly, in my opinion, Mikael Åkerfeld) one my favorites is Alucarda Bellows/Vanessa Jakobsen over several of the death metal acts she's been involved with over years. There's something about her tone that I just absolutely love.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:03 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:

Doesn't sound like him, and I think he was pretty much done doing extensive vocals by then.

Thanks! Who could it be then?! It's sort of infuriating they're so mysterious)))))

I think I should also add Britta Görtz to my list - can't say I particularly like the music of the bands she's been in so the only release I bought that has her vocals is this new Hiraes album, but she's got an outstanding voice.

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:20 am 

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Johan Hegg
LG Petrov
Peter Tägtgren
Corpsegrinder
Chris Barnes (Eaten Back to Life, Butchered at Birth, and Tomb of the Mutilated)
Phobia!

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:32 am 

Fisher "Corpsegrinder" (grow the fuck up already, you're like 50 or older) is unbearable in terms of vocal delivery. Barnes was/is tenfold better than Fisher will ever be.

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:11 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Since the big names (and my personal favorites) have been already mentioned, I'd like to mention the guy from Lykathea Aflame, not particularly original, but he sounds how demons (likely) sound.

Spoiler: show

my dude really sounds like some ancient gargantuan beast

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:02 pm 

Classic era Akerfeldt is hard to beat, for me.

Demon of the Fall is an absolute harrowing beast.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:11 am 

Akerfeldt really is fantastic, and might be objectively the best but I just can’t get into Opeth unfortunately. Just too slow and droning to me.

Though it’s been awhile since I sat down and listened to them, maybe I’ll give them another shot.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:06 pm 

des91 wrote:
Akerfeldt really is fantastic, and might be objectively the best but I just can’t get into Opeth unfortunately. Just too slow and droning to me.

Though it’s been awhile since I sat down and listened to them, maybe I’ll give them another shot.

They have their fair share of doomier moments and mellower passages, but they have plenty of speedier sections as well, with Morbid Angel and black metal influences at times. I definitely wouldn't characterize them as "slow and droning" on average, but you can't expect constant blast beats either.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:20 pm 

I really like Barney from Napalm Death, but mostly on certain records vs their music as a whole. He sounds incredible on The Code is Red and Smear Campaign. I'm not really that into older Napalm Death so it's an interesting pick, but he has one of my favorite sounds on those two albums. He may sound just as good on the records following Smear Campaign, I just haven't kept up with them enough to know.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:43 pm 

Not sure about FAVOURITE death metal vocalists, but one I particularly love is Niilo Savanen from Insomnium. If anything it's his specific tone - not too deep and gutteral, somewhat midrange but just a killer fucking roar that's almost a low scream, and packs a great emotional punch that fits their music perfectly.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:45 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Not sure about FAVOURITE death metal vocalists, but one I particularly love is Niilo Savanen from Insomnium. If anything it's his specific tone - not too deep and gutteral, somewhat midrange but just a killer fucking roar that's almost a low scream, and packs a great emotional punch that fits their music perfectly.

Sevanen can and has gone much lower than his usual tone, in fact I wish he actually utilized his low growl much more. He definitely is one of my favorite vocalists in extreme metal though:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next