Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:35 pm 

I remember doing a thread about your favourite releases from Profound Lore Records. Now, time for Season of Mist C:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:41 am 

On top of my head if we don't count reissues my favorites are probably Septic Flesh's two albums Communion and The Great Mass (my favorites so far of their symphonic DM era) and Solstafir's Otta (barely metal, but really original and inspired)

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:15 am 

Oh so many favourites; from Oxiplegatz to ...And Oceans' debut and sophomore, from the WAR series to other weird yet wonderful shit such as Cultus Sanguine and Atrox; but probably my favourite of them all would be Bloodthorn's 'In the shadow of your black wings'.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:43 am 

Cannabis Corpse's 2011 release is pretty good.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:05 am 

Esoteric. There's no competition there.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:58 am 

I was extremely surprised to know that YouTube shredder Sarah Longfield is signed to this label. I'm guessing they signed this non-extreme metal artist for the same reason Metal Blade signed The Goo Goo Dolls years ago: maximum cash flow to sustain a niche product.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 am 

Bleed the Future by Archspire. The album drops tonight, but I already know I'm gonna like it more than anything else I've heard from this label.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:18 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I was extremely surprised to know that YouTube shredder Sarah Longfield is signed to this label. I'm guessing they signed this non-extreme metal artist for the same reason Metal Blade signed The Goo Goo Dolls years ago: maximum cash flow to sustain a niche product.

She's not active as a performing artist at the moment and she really wasn't big at all outside of YouTube, if you look at the bills she was on and the venues she played. SOM has its moneymakers and flagship acts and she wasn't one of them.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:30 pm 

Destroyer 666 is by far my fave band on that label

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:38 pm 

I don't pay as much attention to labels as many here seem to, so this took a bit of research and I've probably overlooked something. But here are a few standouts.

Cynic - Traced In Air - Focus was impossible to live up to, but this is a solid more modern interpretation of their sound.

Exivious - Liminal - even more Cynic-sounding than Cynic themselves, worthy heirs to the mantle.

Gorguts - Colored Sands - I'm not as into the dissonant/avant-garde death sound as some here are, but this is that style done right.

The Great Old Ones - Cosmicism - black metal just how I like it, just as heavy and pummeling as it is atmospheric and mysterious.

Edit: forgot a major one - Ava Inferi - Onyx - I'm always a bit skeptical of operatic vocals in metal because they're so often kind of insipid, but they really work here in a doomier setting.

Honorable mentions - lots of other interesting bands, especially Alkaloid, Archspire, Beyond Creation, Carnation, Earth Rot, Funeral, George Kollias, Green Carnation, Hate Eternal, Hooded Menace, Horrendous, Ne Obliviscaris, Regarde les Hommes Tomber, Rotten Sound, Shape of Despair, The Old Dead Tree, and Voyager, although without doing more research I suspect some of my favorite material from the older bands is on a different label.

Frank Booth wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

She's not active as a performing artist at the moment and she really wasn't big at all outside of YouTube, if you look at the bills she was on and the venues she played. SOM has its moneymakers and flagship acts and she wasn't one of them.

Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd think she's famous outside of Youtube guitar nerds. Even a band like Animals As Leaders is unknown in the mainstream, and they're about as big as technical instrumental music gets.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:56 pm 

Was inquisition on this label?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

Season of Mist signed some YouTube musician because they wanted to expand their roster by signing Punk bands? Because, y'know, that's how Goo Goo Dolls got signed by Metal Blade in 1988.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:16 pm 

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but there are bands that pay to get their albums released on Season of Mist. At least that's what someone I trust who got an album released by them told me.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:34 pm 

Paying to have your album released/paying to get booked/paying to play are some of the lowest, most fucking pathetic things a band could do. That fucks up the scene as a whole for everyone.

Fuck that kind of bands.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:00 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:

Yeah they got dropped after everything resurfaced with Dagon.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:11 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Paying to have your album released/paying to get booked/paying to play are some of the lowest, most fucking pathetic things a band could do. That fucks up the scene as a whole for everyone.

Fuck that kind of bands.

Never heard of this and I have friends on there, and they've had nothing but good experiences with the label.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Fuck that kind of bands.

huh? don't understand this at all. marketing is never organic, I don't see the problem.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:54 am 

wraithlike wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

Fuck that kind of bands.

huh? don't understand this at all. marketing is never organic, I don't see the problem.

The fact that this is how the world works doesn't make it right... if i had a pence for every artist that got slapped in the face by the reality of being on a buy-on tour i could probably go on a buy-on tour myself :lol:

The pay-to-enter in SoM is new to me too. I knew Napalm Records does it with smaller bands

~Guest 94579
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:00 am 

wraithlike wrote:

It completely changed live music for the worse (at least at the local level). Bands would have to pay an amount to get a time slot, and hope they would recoup that in ticket sales. For small bands playing their first shows, this usually didn't happen. It's been like that since I was a teen at least. I believe before then, bands would get an amount from the venue, who would then make a profit from the people the band would bring in, from stuff like cover charges or drink sales. Maybe somebody over 40 can elaborate further.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:

Yeah they got dropped after everything resurfaced with Dagon.

Thought so. Then I’ll go with them. Terrible human Being and I don’t really listen to them that much anymore (though their most recent album was phenomenal); but facts are facts. Inquisition were a beast of a band. Unfortunately, my personal values/ethics makes it very difficult to ever consciously truly enjoy their music again.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:25 pm 

Season of Mist, allegedly from what I know, does accept releases from bands who pay them for "distribution" -- I can't confirm it because I've never done it, but I have heard that... and I've not heard it ONLY about SOM... but they were probably the biggest label I've heard it about.

In terms of albums, I loved the D666 releases (until we learned what a POS KK was - doesn't change the impact of those albums), you also can't forget the Carpathian Forest and Mayhem records, but I would have to pick both ANAAL NATHRAKH albums... My first introduction to one of the sickest bands ever...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:04 pm 

oxwah wrote:
wraithlike wrote:

It completely changed live music for the worse (at least at the local level). Bands would have to pay an amount to get a time slot, and hope they would recoup that in ticket sales. For small bands playing their first shows, this usually didn't happen. It's been like that since I was a teen at least. I believe before then, bands would get an amount from the venue, who would then make a profit from the people the band would bring in, from stuff like cover charges or drink sales. Maybe somebody over 40 can elaborate further.

Not over 40, but we still have venues and promoters who'll actually pay local bands to play shows. Almost all of them are at dive bars or metal breweries (for local examples: Atlas Brew Works in DC, Adriot Theory in VA, and the new Lovedrafts Brewing Co. in PA) sometimes with no cover charge for patrons. Sadly, the pay to play venues exist here too, and here in central PA, we've had a few bad stories regarding a few places that have hounded bands for selling x number of tickets and/or a certain amount of merch or they'll have to pay back the difference. It's a fucking real good way to kill the local scene, and I've heard a guitarist say it's really demotivated him to the point he hasn't even picked up his guitar since before quarantine. I think the smaller bands are wising up to it; mostly the only people who get suckered into the pay to play scheme are no-name metal/deathcore bands and garage metal bands played by dudes in their 40s.

SkinnyBunny
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:19 am 

Been listening to Auðn a lot, their latest album "Vökudraumsins fangi" is a goddamn masterpiece imo

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:50 am 

Craft - White Noise and Black Metal is a standout for me.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:14 am 

Der Weg Einer Freiheit's releases on Season of Mist so far (Stellar and Finisterre) have been great and I'm sure their new album will be no different.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:49 pm 

DeadKid wrote:

Good choice! Craft is highly underrated! Since they just put out the box set, I hope that means new music may be on the way soon!

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
DeadKid wrote:

Good choice! Craft is highly underrated! Since they just put out the box set, I hope that means new music may be on the way soon!

Fuck The Universe is incredible. Not familiar with that album above mentioned
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:58 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:
DeadKid wrote:

Fuck The Universe is incredible. Not familiar with that album above mentioned

Yeah, TSR and FTU are classics in my opinion. WNBM is their most recent album and their first on Season of Mist. I would say that the album is my second favorite album from them behind FTU. Definitely worth a listen if you haven't heard it!

Reply to topic