Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raumr
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 1942
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 pm 
 

Vond - Selvmord 1

Not recommended if you're feeling down.

Top
 Profile  
kazhard
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:42 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Québec, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:51 pm 
 

Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun

Love this era of Meat Puppets.

Top
 Profile  
SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:08 am
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 pm 
 

Hällas - Shadow of the Templar

What a journey.

Top
 Profile  
gestapothrash
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:55 am
Posts: 1262
Location: The Land Down Under
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:00 am 
 

Anvil - Hard 'N' Heavy

School Love! What a tune
_________________
UltraBoris wrote:
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2354
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 am 
 

Mercyful Fate - Satan’s Fall

That time of the year

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 136
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:51 am 
 

My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River

Mournful goodness...

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2519
Location: Not in Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:46 am 
 

Reverend Bizarre - Teutonic Witch

Their only album I've been coming back to lately.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30634
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:06 am 
 

Mercyful Fate - A Gruesome Time

There's something super Halloweenish about these ominous lurching melodies and the eerie, stomping riffs. Just bleeds atmosphere. Tremendous rocking grooves on here too.

Wolf - I Will Kill Again

Man I love that guitar tone. Bonus is that the writing is great too. This album just has a sense of "bigness" about it, with that massive clear sound and the way the choruses are enunciated and seem to just soar - you can't really ignore this music, it is just larger than life.

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross

Going for a triptych of campy horror themed metal this morning - a good shot of energy.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:46 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:25 am 
 

Dead Kennedys - Winnebago Warrior

My 3rd favorite song on Plastic Surgery Disasters
_________________
I Do Not Think, Therefore I Am Not Am.

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6610
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Mercyful Fate
Going for a triptych of campy horror themed metal this morning - a good shot of energy.


If you don't mind some doom/death metal, Druid Lord's Hymns for the Wicked would also make a good addition to that.

NP: Beast Conjurator - Among These Graves

More blasphemous thrash/death/black metal that originates from Brazil.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30634
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:24 pm 
 

colin040 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Mercyful Fate
Going for a triptych of campy horror themed metal this morning - a good shot of energy.


If you don't mind some doom/death metal, Druid Lord's Hymns for the Wicked would also make a good addition to that.


Not bad, a bit too standard though.

Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

This kind of lo-fi stuff is fascinating to me. Utterly genuine macabre-ness.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 136
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:01 pm 
 

The_Grindcrusher wrote:
Dead Kennedys - Winnebago Warrior

My 3rd favorite song on Plastic Surgery Disasters


By far their greatest LP….

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1340
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:47 pm 
 

Dusk - ...Majestic Thou Art In Ruin

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2937
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:43 pm 
 

Ad Infinitum - "Unstoppable"

The other two singles haven't impressed me as much, but I keep returning to this one, one of my favorite songs of the year. If the rest of the album is closer to it or to the debut last year, this will be a strong contender for my year-end list.

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 412
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:13 pm 
 

Not metal...
Radiohead- I Might be Wrong

I absolutely love the continuous riff that can be altered during the song. It's the song that really hooked me on this band.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7128
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:45 pm 
 

Seven Spires - Shadow on an Endless Sea

Yup, this is going to be my album of the year. I'm extremely doubtful that anything could topple it.
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:56 pm 
 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Not metal...
Radiohead- I Might be Wrong

I absolutely love the continuous riff that can be altered during the song. It's the song that really hooked me on this band.

Radiohead is actually my favorite band, I'm glad you're liking them so far! In Rainbows is my favorite album of theirs.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:58 pm 
 

Just finished listening to Bleed the Future by Archspire. I've spent several hours now, reading and writing about the story of the album and the one in Relentless Mutation (which look to be parallel), and my brain fucking hurts. Anyway, crazy fast as always. Gotta love Archspire.

Top
 Profile  
gestapothrash
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:55 am
Posts: 1262
Location: The Land Down Under
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:03 pm 
 

Saxon - Power & The Glory

Essential listening for any metalhead.
_________________
UltraBoris wrote:
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Top
 Profile  
kazhard
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:42 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Québec, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:30 pm 
 

TAD - 8-Way Santa

TAD + beer = awesome

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 136
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 pm 
 

Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain

This is what would happen if Sabbath moved to Lousiana and started playing in crack dens....

Top
 Profile  
kazhard
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:42 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Québec, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 pm 
 

Candlemass - Ancient Dreams

Plenty of rock solid riffs on this one.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2937
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:07 am 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Seven Spires - Shadow on an Endless Sea

Yup, this is going to be my album of the year. I'm extremely doubtful that anything could topple it.


I could swear that you said you didn't like extreme metal. There's quite a lot of it on this album. There's a good band in there somewhere, but they don't fully click for me.

NP: Lethian Dreams - "Leaving Light"

I love the way the drums sound on this especially. Kind of a looser, more room ambiance vibe, and those double kicks and toms have so much punch. A perfect balance to the swirling, floating qualities of the vocals and guitars.

Top
 Profile  
Immortal666
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:32 am
Posts: 914
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:38 am 
 

Tiamat - The Scapegoat

This song is alluring in its blasphemous beauty.

Top
 Profile  
Xymosys
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 am
Posts: 741
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:31 am 
 

Cryhavoc - Cryscyhte

Remarkable band! For the diehard fans of Sentenced's Amok album. Catchy, powerful, melancholic, mystic and dramatic!

_________________
No fear, no pain, nobody left to blame...I'll try alone, make destiny my own

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2519
Location: Not in Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:56 am 
 

Lordian Guard - My Name is Man

*Bursts into tears*

Top
 Profile  
MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 660
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:12 am 
 

Primus - The Pressman

I always loved the dark and intimidating Funk of Pork Soda!
_________________
I can't hear you, are you talking to me?

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30634
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:31 am 
 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
Not metal...
Radiohead- I Might be Wrong

I absolutely love the continuous riff that can be altered during the song. It's the song that really hooked me on this band.

Radiohead is actually my favorite band, I'm glad you're liking them so far! In Rainbows is my favorite album of theirs.


The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac and Kid A are all really great. Ought to play them again soon too. They get a lot of shit from internet jokes but are a quality band.

Seasons of the Wolf - The Reaper
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6610
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:40 am 
 

Blasphemy - Demoniac

Huh, this is actually pretty cool...that one diabolical tremolo riff sounds like Sepultura circa 1985 or 1986. :D

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2354
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:31 am 
 

On a bit of a Pumpkins kick.

Smashing Pumpkins - Snail

Love the kind of psychadelic vibe this album, and most of their stuff has, over the distorted guitars and pounding drums. Some times Corgan comes across as overwrought but always feels genuine.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1794
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:50 am 
 

markhebb wrote:
Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain

This is what would happen if Sabbath moved to Lousiana and started playing in crack dens....


Lol.

I wish NOLA was the actual birth place of Doom.

WORM - Foreverglade

I love this more and more each new full listen. It grips you.
_________________
Gas_Snake wrote:
....my attention span is not your guinea pig. If even one of your songs exceeds 10 minutes, you're either a fucking genius or you need to self-edit that shit.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:53 am 
 

Whitechapel - Kin. My buddy said the album was pretty good, so I decided to listen since I got time for it. Not bad for a deathcore album so far.

Update: it wasn't bad. I'm listening to Somatic Defilement now, cause I think old-school deathcore is more my thing.

Top
 Profile  
forestcorpse
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 5231
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:42 pm 
 

Newcromantia - The Warlock

Love this!
One of the best bands ever.

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 324
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:00 pm 
 

Mastodon - Hushed & Grim

Only two songs in, on first listen: these first two are pretty awesome!

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2937
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:05 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Radiohead is actually my favorite band, I'm glad you're liking them so far! In Rainbows is my favorite album of theirs.


The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac and Kid A are all really great. Ought to play them again soon too. They get a lot of shit from internet jokes but are a quality band.


Do they? I always thought they were the internet's darling. They have things I like here and there, but the only full album that connected with me was Kid A. Although I must say that it's been so long since I've listened to the others that I'm probably way overdue for a reevaluation. I just had too many friends who thought they were the best music the universe had ever conceived and I always came away underwhelmed.

NP: Vintersea - "Fiery Tongue"

I can't wait for their next album, this one was a huge step up from the debut. Blackened prog metal is a niche I want to explore more.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Do they? I always thought they were the internet's darling. They have things I like here and there, but the only full album that connected with me was Kid A. Although I must say that it's been so long since I've listened to the others that I'm probably way overdue for a reevaluation. I just had too many friends who thought they were the best music the universe had ever conceived and I always came away underwhelmed.


Unfortunately, Radiohead is a huge victim of overhype. They are an amazing band, but the descriptions many fans give seem to suggest that they're some kind of inhuman musical geniuses. They're really just a normal band who makes good music that can reach a wide audience.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2937
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:22 pm 
 

I get it, being a pretty big Tool fan. They're incredible, but they have a lot of cringey fanboys who are a bit over-effusive about them and turn off people who don't like them or are more on the fence.

NP: VOLA - "Under Your Fur"

I'm getting happier about my top 5s of the year for metal and non-metal. This is definitely one of them for the latter.

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6610
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:32 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

WORM - Foreverglade

I love this more and more each new full listen. It grips you.


It's quite an earworm, eh? ;)

NP: Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty

Some blasphemous thrash/black metal with creepy atmosphere. I love the notable Hellhammer influences during the slower bits.

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 1444
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:40 pm 
 

Shadow of Intent - Where Millions Have Come To Die

Oh no.
I've found another band in this... uh... somewhat divisive subgenre that I like. What ever will I do?

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30634
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:01 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Radiohead is actually my favorite band, I'm glad you're liking them so far! In Rainbows is my favorite album of theirs.


The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac and Kid A are all really great. Ought to play them again soon too. They get a lot of shit from internet jokes but are a quality band.


Do they? I always thought they were the internet's darling. They have things I like here and there, but the only full album that connected with me was Kid A. Although I must say that it's been so long since I've listened to the others that I'm probably way overdue for a reevaluation. I just had too many friends who thought they were the best music the universe had ever conceived and I always came away underwhelmed.

NP: Vintersea - "Fiery Tongue"

I can't wait for their next album, this one was a huge step up from the debut. Blackened prog metal is a niche I want to explore more.


I just see a lot of jokes and shit talking, I know there are also plenty who genuinely like em. And yeah - can't let the hype dictate things too much for your taste.

Year of the Goat - Subortus

Really liking what I am hearing off this one so far. Heavier than the last one by quite a bit.

Yeah this song fucking slays. Revelrous evil vibes. It's funny that they sound so much like Wytch Hazel but the two bands are polar opposites in being Satanic and Christian respectively.

edit - Unless the last few songs suck or something, this is easily their best work yet and I am glad they fulfilled the potential. Killer fucking rock and roll.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2560, 2561, 2562, 2563, 2564, 2565, 2566 ... 2580  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: agent_fist, Caspian88, Empyreal, HeavenDuff, Kalaratri, Ludorff, mornox, Necrodictator, oldmetalhead, wEEman33 and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group