Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:32 am 

After browsing through "High Roller Records" releases, and trying to decide on which version of Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction" I should go for, I thought if there were any other bands that had such large quantity of alternate record sleeves. I mean, "Ample Desctruction" has like four? And I can't really decide, although I'm for the most part tempted to go for the one with the four horsemen :-D

Spoiler: show

I know Iron Maiden's newest "Senjutsu" has two sleeves as well (even though there is technically "one" that is the main one). Hypocrisy also has two different covers for their "Abducted" release. Iced Earth has a ton, especially for their first three albums. Virgin Steele's earliest albums have some differences, and Manilla Road got a ton of alternate cover arts when their albums were re-issued:

Open the Gates

Mystification:

Out of the Abyss:

The Circus Maximus:

Atlantis Rising:

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:47 pm 

Night on Bröcken, Fates Warning's debut album, has three different cover arts, all of which are terrible lol

Will of the Gods is Great Power by Scald has at least six alternate cover arts in total, at least two for each format.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:55 pm 

Does it count if the alternate artwork is only there in case the original is too explicit for display? Plenty of Cannibal Corpse albums have an obviously toned down version. Except when it comes to The Bleeding where the supposedly censored version seems just as gory to me. :???:

Also although I'm not really a fan of the music, Morbid Angel's Domination has interesting artwork for the vinyl version.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:30 pm 

Kreator's last four albums have had alternative cover arts.

For Enemy of God, it was the Re-Visited version which came in a DVD sized digi case if I recall correctly.
ImageImage

Hordes of Chaos, the vinyl version had a different cover. And then they did a special reissue of this as well (the Ultra Riot version), that came in a box with new art
ImageImageImage

Phantom Antichrist, special / limited editions had different cover art.
ImageImage

Gods of Violence, not sure which versions have the different cover, but it exists.
ImageImage

Coastliner
Metal newbie

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:59 pm 

Maiden showed that censorship can improve graveyard vibes...

ImageImage

...and that brain farts can ruin a classic character:

ImageImage

From a cool low-fat weirdo punk to a red-eyed cliché zombie (men and beasts with red eyes are always the bad guys) in only 18 years. What a career...

PS: Not really alternate sleeves but altered sleeves - but still... deserve to be mentioned.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm 

The Scorpions are kind of infamous for questionable covers featuring nudity and an under aged girl. The latter was Virgin Killer and it got a new cover just showing the band. Lovedrive just had a woman's breast with bubble gum stuck to it, it got changed to a all black cover wit a blue scorpion in the center. Some have said the Animal Magnetism cover is suggestive but they never changed that.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:51 pm 

SquirrelHunt wrote:
Night on Bröcken, Fates Warning's debut album, has three different cover arts, all of which are terrible lol

Will of the Gods is Great Power by Scald has at least six alternate cover arts in total, at least two for each format.

Wow, I was not aware that "Night on Bröcken" had alternate artwork!

Great example with Scald, had forgotten about that one! Lots of alternate spellings of the title as well :lol:

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:30 pm 

Autopsy's Severed Survival has the original art and the censored art. Personally, I like the censored art much more.

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:38 pm 

Carcass has completely different art for Reek of Putrefaction and Symphonies of Sickness.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:59 am 

From memory Priest’s Point Of Entry album had two different covers - we got the computer paper roll one in Australia….

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:27 pm 

I saw a Pissgrave CD, in my local independent record shop. It had black paper, in front of the actual cover, under the plastic.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:54 pm 

MatsBG wrote:
After browsing through "High Roller Records" releases, and trying to decide on which version of Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction" I should go for, I thought if there were any other bands that had such large quantity of alternate record sleeves. I mean, "Ample Desctruction" has like four? And I can't really decide, although I'm for the most part tempted to go for the one with the four horsemen :-D

Either the first or third. Because boobs!!!

And that 4th one is just boring.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:55 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Autopsy's Severed Survival has the original art and the censored art. Personally, I like the censored art much more.

They're both good, but, yeah, the 2nd is actually a little scarier.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:56 pm 

Immortal's Battle in the North.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:05 pm 

MatsBG wrote:
Manilla Road got a ton of alternate cover arts when their albums were re-issued:

Those are ALL good! except for Circus Maximus, which ALL versions suck! Looks like art for one of the lower-tier 80's/early 90's thrash bands.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 am 

I remember a couple instances- the debut albums from Sadus and Germany's Deathrow, where they re-issued the album with an entirely different title as well as different artwork. Sadus's debut "Illusions" was re-issued as "Chemical Exposure" and Deathrow's first was originally called "Riders of Doom" but was re-issued with new artwork as "Satan's Gift."

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:26 am 

Septic Flesh reissued their first five albums changing the quirky but charming artworks of the originals with new ones made by their frontman Seth Siro Anton in the style of their later albums, a style that i never found to be very appealing. It'a pity because some of the older cd's have become really pricey lately.

At least they changed Revolution DNA's horrid artwork, but i don't think i want to own that one in general :lol:

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:54 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

Also although I'm not really a fan of the music, Morbid Angel's Domination has interesting artwork for the vinyl version.
For that album cover, I always thought Trey must have just been learning Photoshop 1.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:34 am 

My vinyl version of Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla has some random flying machine man on the cover. Quite ugly.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:17 pm 

Iced Earth seem to do this a lot. There are at least two cover versions of the debut and Burnt Offerings and I am aware of three versions of Stormrider - original vinyl, original CD and later CD. I wouldn't be surprised if other albums of theirs does the same.

madman101
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:12 am 

Reply to topic