Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:49 pm 

https://loudwire.com/corpsegrinder-debut-studio-album-new-music/

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 am 

It feels so weird to hear Corpsegrinder's vocals outside of Cannibal Corpse, but the little bit that I heard sounds interesting. Will definitely be giving this a spin when it comes out.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Last edited by PrinceRhaegar on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 am 

The snippet posted sounded like modern death metal pablum. Respect The Neck? Get on his thanks list? Fuck me what a sad state, sounds like something Barnes would do.
Yes, I'm grumpy and jaded and old.

Cyrdarxes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:06 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
It feels so weird to hear Corpsegrinder's vocals outside of Cannibal Corpse, but the little bit that I heard sounds interesting. Will definitely be giving this a spin when it comes out.

I take it you've never heard Montrosity's first two albums or Paths of Possession's last two albums?

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:51 am 

Endarkening wrote:
The snippet posted sounded like modern death metal pablum. Respect The Neck? Get on his thanks list? Fuck me what a sad state, sounds like something Barnes would do.
Yes, I'm grumpy and jaded and old.

It's stupid as fuck, I will definitely avoid this at all costs. I'm fine with taking a grumpy old man stance on this one.

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:23 am 

More Jasta bullshit. Puts together an album and pays for a name performer to come in, record vocals, uses their name and sells it as 'their solo band'. Dee Snider and now Corpsegrinder. Fuck off.

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:39 am 

the little snippet does sound a little too basic. I love the guy's voice, and as much as I like Cannibal Corpse, I wish I got to hear it paired with something else more often. Any time he's featured on something he elevates the track. But yeah that sample sounded pretty weak (other than his vocals). And if that sample's any indication, his voice alone won't be enough to carry this project

also wtf y'all getting upset over some stickers and thanks or autographs? that stuff's just fun for some people, let em have their little bit of parasocial interaction with corpsegrinder. get over yourself lol, how do you get offended by this shit.

It's so bizarre how uptight metalheads are I swear

like the music is shit, fine, fair criticism. but don't really get the anger about any of the other stuff.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:00 am 

I love his voice. I love his neck.

The track features both (at least I suppose an official video will feature the latter) and I'm personally interested in how it's gonna turn out.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 am 

Cyrdarxes wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:

I take it you've never heard Montrosity's first two albums or Paths of Possession's last two albums?

He's good in Serpentine Dominion and the parts on the last Dethklok release he did too. Haven't heard the newest Voodoo Gods yet.

But yeah, what's the problem with this? I don't get it.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
I love his neck.

LOL. He sure is an odd looking fella...

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:47 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Haven't heard the newest Voodoo Gods yet.

It's not quite bad, but apart from Fisher's vocals pretty pedestrian.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 am 

Fuck, I thought he had died when I started reading.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:41 pm 

This sounds like a groovier version of Cannibal Corpse based on the snippet, but I've learned the hard way not to judge a book by its cover on several occasions. I'll be looking forward to checking this out when it lands.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm 

opening riff sounds like hatebreed. the follow up riff sounds like it could be cool.
no hopes. really indifferent. production is modern on point.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:20 pm 

I thought Corpsegrinder didn't write anything?

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:37 pm 

Opus wrote:

He didn't write anything for this album, this is a collaboration with Jamey Jasta (similar to Dee Snider's recent solo albums) where Jasta and co. write the music and George contributes the vocals.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm 

It's weird that this is being called a solo album then, if Corpsegrinder didn't actually write anything.

I wonder how long it goes until this is confused with the Corpsegrinder on the site, that was his first band before Monstrosity apparently.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:46 pm 

Quote:
"The death metal record, titled after George Fisher's brutal stage name, will be released Feb. 4 via Jamey Jasta’s Perseverance Music Group. The Hatebreed vocalist also co-produced the album alongside Nick Bellmore (Dee Snider / Kingdom of Sorrow). Corpse fans will also get some guitar from death metal master Erik Rutan, who plays on the track “Acid Vat.”"

"When Jamey approached me to do this record, I was fired up to get into the studio with Erik Rutan and record the vocals!” Corpsegrinder says. “It's a mix of Death Metal, Thrash and Hardcore, and it sounds heavy as hell!!! I'm really excited about it, and I can't wait for the world to hear it!!!"

So basically, this is in no way shape or form a solo album by Corpsegrinder. He wrote nothing, and this is almost 100% the project of the producers Jamey Jasta and Nick Bellmore, who want to market this as a Corpsegrinder solo album to cash in on the success of Cannibal Corpse and Corpsegrinder's charisma.

It also baffles me that they are asking for crowd funding on this. These guys are all renowned professionnal musicians and don't need people to pour money in the project before the album is actually released. All this to have your name featured on a crappy thanks list. This gives me shitty Jari Mäenpää vibes.

Outside of all the crap surrounding the project, the music sounds okay. Granted we only got to hear 30 seconds of it. It has very noticeable death metal and hardcore elements, and kind of reminds me of some beatdown hardcore style. It's not a bad idea per se, but it's a genre that is hard to do well while also making something memorable enough for it to not just come and go and be forgotten 2 months after the release.

I also always find it extremely weird when producers or extreme metal vocalists try to promote music through vocalists. Don't get me wrong, Corpsegrinder is a solid vocalist, and I love a good number of extreme metal vocalists. But in extreme metal, vocals are typically more a cherry at the top of the cake, more then they are the main course. You need solid foundations in extreme metal, and I personnally have very little interest in looking up a band solely based on who the frontman is.

Anyway. I'll still give it a listen, because Erik Rutan is involved. As for Hatebreed's vocalist being involved in this, especially on the production, I can't say that this is good news. Hatebreed is one of the shittiest, wannabe tough guy hardcore garbage band there ever was. I don't see what kind of positive input this guy could have on this whole project. But hey, I'm not expecting a lot out of this, so the best that can happen is that I could be pleasantly surprised. Worse case scenario is that it will just be bad or mediocre and that the whole project will fade away, and Corpsegrinder will just go back to doing CC stuff.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:23 pm 

Just gave the snippet a listen. Nothing exceptional, but who knows? We might hear something cool here.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:14 pm 

Sounds like mallcore bullshit. Not exactly expecting an Ace Frehley 1978 Solo Album effort
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Last edited by gestapothrash on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:39 pm 

Love Corpsegrinder but this McMetal. I bet it’ll be inoffensive (IE not egregiously out in left field) and generic and forgettable.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:05 am 

This sounds like it'll be dumb as hell. But snapped up by the press because of the name. Probably what the masterminds intended.

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:32 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Opus wrote:

He didn't write anything for this album, this is a collaboration with Jamey Jasta (similar to Dee Snider's recent solo albums) where Jasta and co. write the music and George contributes the vocals.

Corpsegrinder doesn't write anything for Cannibal Corpse either, afaik.
Phobia!

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:43 am 

Sure, but CC isn't billed as a solo project.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Sure, but CC isn't billed as a solo project.

Right, this is basically Jamey Jasta's band with Corpsegrinder doing vocals. The only thing 'solo' about this release is the name.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 am 

He's spent 30+ years in bands and has never even picked up an instrument... then puts out a solo album without even making an attempt to write a single song himself. I believe this is what the kids call "cringe af".

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 am 

Should have called it the Jasta or (whatever) Project featuring Corpsegrinder but I guess that would not have gotten as much exposure.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am 

yeah the way this worked out is weird. Corpsegrinder was approached to do a solo record, which is the opposite of how it normally works. makes the whole thing feel really manufactured. though weirdly i don't feel the same about the Dee Snider stuff even though that was almost made in the exact same way. i guess because Snider isn't currently in another really popular band and is known for being a bit more loose and free with his projects, it feels less inauthentic?

NationalPerspective
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm 

Guys, calm yourselves a little. We only have this little snippet right now.

I (while this may be my inner Fisher fanboy speaking) will personally be buying and listening to this when it comes out. I won't be pre-ordering it but, I'm a little optimistic for this.

Hexenmacht46290
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:13 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
It also baffles me that they are asking for crowd funding on this. These guys are all renowned professionnal musicians and don't need people to pour money in the project before the album is actually released. All this to have your name featured on a crappy thanks list. This gives me shitty Jari Mäenpää vibes.

Because it wouldn’t make money otherwise. They won’t play live(unless restrictions really get lifted, and it’s in between Cannibal Corpse and Hatebreed tours), and Spotify streams only pay real money, for big, established bands. This’ll make a few hundred, or maybe even thousand $USD, off Spotify(and mostly because of name recognition), which won’t pay for the production of the product. Super fan die hard editions are the only way to make a profit off of it. I’m not saying it makes them posers or anything, it’s just how it is. The people involved in this don’t do side projects that don’t make money. They aren’t underground artists who don’t prioritize money.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:50 pm 

I think it's weird to call this a "solo" record like many people here, but the reaction to this project in particular is strange. Ozzy has a dozen "solo" albums where he didn't write a single note of music and by all accounts cannot even play an instrument (harmonica doesn't count). There's countless examples of this too. It isn't a new phenomenon at all.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:59 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
More Jasta bullshit. Puts together an album and pays for a name performer to come in, record vocals, uses their name and sells it as 'their solo band'. Dee Snider and now Corpsegrinder. Fuck off.

Have you actually listened to the records Jasta did with Dee? I think they are pretty fucking awesome, the both of them.

HeavenDuff wrote:
Hatebreed is one of the shittiest, wannabe tough guy hardcore garbage band there ever was.

The Rise of Brutality begs to differ!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:22 pm 

ghroth wrote:
I think it's weird to call this a "solo" record like many people here, but the reaction to this project in particular is strange. Ozzy has a dozen "solo" albums where he didn't write a single note of music and by all accounts cannot even play an instrument (harmonica doesn't count). There's countless examples of this too. It isn't a new phenomenon at all.

There's a world of difference between mainstream music and underground death metal. And even then, Ozzy is an outlier. Dio wrote songs, as did Dickinson and Halford in their solo endeavors. Having a lead singer that contributes nothing but vocals and lyrics is exceedingly rare in underground music; being DIY is a huge aspect of the culture.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:26 pm 

NationalPerspective wrote:
Guys, calm yourselves a little. We only have this little snippet right now.

I (while this may be my inner Fisher fanboy speaking) will personally be buying and listening to this when it comes out. I won't be pre-ordering it but, I'm a little optimistic for this.

No need to patronize us, bro. Just as much as you're in your rights to be a fanboy who puts hope in this, we are allowed to voice our negative opinions and expectations out of this.

ghroth wrote:

I think it's a combination of factors that makes this feel contrived and generally unappealling. I personnally don't agree with the whole "he doesn't play any instrument" argument. Nobody should give a shit about this, vocals are just as important any anything else. But if you look at the rest of the info we have... that's where it comes off as some contrived, manufactured and unauthentic project. You compared this to Ozzy, but it's completely different. For starterds, Ozzy working on a solo project outside of Black Sabbath felt like a natural evolution of his career, especially after he left Black Sabbath for a while. He also writes lyrics for his solo project. This new "Corpsegrinder" project is not a George Fisher project by any means. It was designed and produced entirely by Jasta who then invited Fisher to contribute vocals for it. Corpsegrinder is basically a session musician on what is marketed as his "solo project", and that's what feels like bullshit. It looks like shit to sell "Respect the neck" merchandise.

Edit: typos

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
"Respect the neck" merchandise

Dear God, that's dumb as hell. Yeah, this is a cash grab built on name alone with no input from the name it is attributed to. I might even go so far as to call it... selling out.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 pm 

George has bills to pay. I don't blame him.

A man's gotta eat...especially at his size.

And seeing that neck up close it is impressive. I do respect it.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:39 pm 

George is such a great bunch of lads, his Instagram is so wholesome. He can't make that much out of CC since he'll only get performance fees, not writing royalties, so whatever. I personally will most likely ignore this, but I don't chastise him for it, or the merch.

Him doing a guest spot on the final Deeds of Flesh album in 2020 was super-cool too

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 pm 

According to Wikipedia he hasn't even written a single Cannibal Corpse lyric since 1998?? That's probably common knowledge but I honestly thought he contributed... like, anything to the band other than his performance and presence.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:48 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
George has bills to pay. I don't blame him.

A man's gotta eat...especially at his size.

Does't mean the project is not shit though.

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:11 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
According to Wikipedia he hasn't even written a single Cannibal Corpse lyric since 1998?? That's probably common knowledge but I honestly thought he contributed... like, anything to the band other than his performance and presence.

I believe he mentions this in the ''Centuries of Torment'' DVD, saying he feels his lyrics isn't up-to-par with the rest, so he leaves it to the others (mainly Alex and Paul).
Phobia!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next