Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThePoop
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: New Hampshire, United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:13 pm 
 

I don't have a specific artist in mind, but I wanted to call into attention how fucking metal a lot of Mongolian folk music is. The speed and melodies remind me a lot of a pre-electric Iron Maiden or maybe something akin to melodic black metal. Plus throat singing is pretty much a form of harsh vocals.


This one even ventures into some crushing doom territory ;)
_________________
My favorite Carcass album is Swansong.

Top
 Profile  
ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 251
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:23 pm 
 

searching for other things, ran into this thread. I've long thought Gary Numan's first couple of albums and his Tubeway Army albums had powerful, metal-esque synth riffs.

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 3560
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:38 pm 
 

I have a weird one. Detroit rapper Trick-Trick. Very aggressive, and some really dark lyrics. I mean, a rap song with lyrics about the smell of cooking flesh?



I've been a fan since around 2005.

Top
 Profile  
AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Posts: 180
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm 
 

Dalek
Massive Attack
Front 242
Depeche Mode
the Offspring (seriously, Ignition and Smash have plenty of metalesque riffs - way more than Sum 41 and Pennywise mentioned earlier in this thread)
Chris Liebing (German Techno artist/producer)
Metallica (I kid! Kinda - specific to Load/Reload era)

Finally - the most metal non-metal song? Crazy by Seal. Dead serious.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2481
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:47 pm 
 

Since I'm on a Pumpkins kick I'll go with Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of cuts are filled with thick heavy guitar riffs and raging drums. Which they will follow up with something as far from musically heavy as possible.

Top
 Profile  
Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:38 pm
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:00 am 
 

John Coltranes Love Supreme always seemed metal af to. I cant get enough of the super fast playing and amazing phrasing.


Last edited by Bluesyboy on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 399
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:16 am 
 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Since I'm on a Pumpkins kick I'll go with Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of cuts are filled with thick heavy guitar riffs and raging drums. Which they will follow up with something as far from musically heavy as possible.

Quiet is metal as fuck
_________________
Bushido wrote:
You underground metal elitists are real a pathetic bunch of girls. No offence.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 399
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:17 am 
 

Muse actually has some crushing riffs in some songs.

_________________
Bushido wrote:
You underground metal elitists are real a pathetic bunch of girls. No offence.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 2940
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 am 
 

Jesse Sykes, not only because she often worked with metal bands and musician (Bill Herzog who was shortly in the band Earth also played in her band Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, and she did session vocals on Sunn O))) & Boris collab Altar) but also because her alternative country/folk music has always been infused with a good dose of metal, be it in the layering, distortion, phrasing and riffing, or some of the bluesy/doomy riffs here and there.

Your Own Kind:


Reckless Burning:


Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep) with Sunn O))) & Boris


AxeCapitol wrote:
Dalek


I also came to say this. Dalëk were so out there at the time, they often shared the stage with metal bands like ISIS.

Top
 Profile  
PETERG
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 am 
 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm gonna say Sum 41, and I know I might not make friends by saying this. But I remember listening to the album Does This Look Infected? back in high school, and this album specifically was heavier then their previous records and regardless of how pop their sound was, their approach to punk was more metallic on this album, and it shows in tracks like Still Waiting and The Hell Song. Their track entitled Pain For Pleasure from the album All Killer, No Filler was also a voluntary tribute to heavy/speed metal.



Sum 41 is the pinnacle of Kerry King's career so they must be metal as fuck.




For me artists like Beastie Boys who play hip hop with punk and rock, or more folk oriented groups such as Dead can Dance have some really heavy songs.
"Sabotage" by Beastie Boys has the most metal intro of all time.
_________________
R.I.P. Diamhea.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3146
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:00 am 
 

Bluesyboy wrote:
Jon Coltranes Love Supreme always seemed metal af to. I cant get enough of the super fast playing and amazing phrasing.


Yeah, although I'd argue that on Giant Steps the "sheets of sound" approach on that album is even more "metal", though both are easily some of my favorite albums ever. More uptempo jazz is surprisingly similar to metal in ways, a lot of bebop, for example. Completely different vibe and sound palette, but the "shredding" isn't worlds apart from shredding in metal and hard rock. Of course, there are many other reasons to like these other kinds of music besides that facet, but if you get past the need for electric guitar/bass/drums you can find spiritual commonality in some bluegrass, classical and such as well.

Top
 Profile  
Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:38 pm
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:41 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Bluesyboy wrote:
Jon Coltranes Love Supreme always seemed metal af to. I cant get enough of the super fast playing and amazing phrasing.


Yeah, although I'd argue that on Giant Steps the "sheets of sound" approach on that album is even more "metal", though both are easily some of my favorite albums ever. More uptempo jazz is surprisingly similar to metal in ways, a lot of bebop, for example. Completely different vibe and sound palette, but the "shredding" isn't worlds apart from shredding in metal and hard rock. Of course, there are many other reasons to like these other kinds of music besides that facet, but if you get past the need for electric guitar/bass/drums you can find spiritual commonality in some bluegrass, classical and such as well.


I just found Love Supreme to be the easiest Jazz album for me to get into since the melodic phrases are pretty similar to each other. A lot of jazz sounds kind of random to my untrained ear when the phrases barely repeat since I only got into it this summer.. It feels like when I first started listening to death metal. I love to imagine how insane Coltrane and Davis would've been if they had been metal guitarists lol.

What does sheets of sound mean? I'll have to re-listen to Giant Steps.

As for commanality I would definitley agree. I always found how the harmonica goes off non stop on this album to be pretty metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqTkkUzH5w&t=4s

Top
 Profile  
Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:38 pm
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am 
 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Muse actually has some crushing riffs in some songs.


I can't stand Muse. My roommate used to blast them non stop and I cant really see a metal fan liking their riffs compared to actual metal bands, but to each there own.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2481
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 am 
 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Since I'm on a Pumpkins kick I'll go with Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of cuts are filled with thick heavy guitar riffs and raging drums. Which they will follow up with something as far from musically heavy as possible.

Quiet is metal as fuck


That is one of the cuts I was thinking of along with stuff like.


Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2481
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:37 am 
 

Tad - Wood Goblin



Sludgy and metallic. Never really paid these guys much attention back when the Seattle scene was huge.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3146
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:50 am 
 

Bluesyboy wrote:
What does sheets of sound mean? I'll have to re-listen to Giant Steps.


It's the style of improvisation he employed in this era (late 50s/early 60s), where he put together flowing patterns of arpeggios (sometimes running through several different chords stacked together) and scales, sometimes called vertical harmony.

Top
 Profile  
GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:22 am
Posts: 117
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:22 pm 
 

IamDBR wrote:
What are some artists that can rival metal bands in terms of heaviness, aggression, speed, themes/lyrics etc. Something with a harder edge than most music.

Some from the top of my head:
Johnny Cash: heavier in a much different way, I was absolutely blown away by Ain't No Grave when I first heard it
Demented Are Go: campy horror gimmick backed with punkish & rock 'n roll leanings, sparked my interest in psychobilly
Swans: loud, psychedelic, surreal & heavy as fuck, if only 'drone/ambient metal' was this compelling
GosT/Pertubator: indifferent to synth overall but they have some good moments here & there, plus the metal aesthetic is a nice bonus
Necro: not much into his stuff nowadays; filthy rap with some noticeable (death) metal influence in the lyrics & artwork
Death Grips: again currently not much into their stuff but I remember enjoying them a lot
Combichrist: because DMC

Looking forward to your contribution!


Dead Kennedys. Amp up the harshness on "Plastic Surgery Disasters" a bit and it's practically a damn metal album.
_________________
Concerts I've Been To

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 1492
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:31 pm 
 

AFI between 1997 and 2000, from "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" up to/including "The Art of Drowning".

Top
 Profile  
nekuomanteia
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:37 pm
Posts: 597
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:10 pm 
 

Across Tundras always struck me as metal yet not metal. Is it desert rock or desert doom? Country Doom? What ever it is the band is amazing. They don't just dip their toes in metal but they appear to delve in sitar music as well, which makes the whole enterprise ethereal.


Top
 Profile  
Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:38 pm
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:17 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Bluesyboy wrote:
What does sheets of sound mean? I'll have to re-listen to Giant Steps.


It's the style of improvisation he employed in this era (late 50s/early 60s), where he put together flowing patterns of arpeggios (sometimes running through several different chords stacked together) and scales, sometimes called vertical harmony.

So I guess thats done in metal alot except not with improvising? Like when Bruce will just sing high G, A, and B notes over C,D, and E power chords during a chorus?

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3146
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:45 pm 
 

Well, that's an overly simplified explanation of it. There are whole academic courses dissecting it, and they get way out of my comfort zone of musical theory knowledge. What Iron Maiden and others do isn't really harmonically complex enough to qualify, you'd have to get into the more tech/prog bands probably to find anything close.

Top
 Profile  
Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:38 pm
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:10 pm 
 

Oh Yeah I meant in a more simple way. I don't really think of tech/prog bands when I think of metal though.

Top
 Profile  
AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Posts: 180
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 pm 
 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Tad - Wood Goblin



Sludgy and metallic. Never really paid these guys much attention back when the Seattle scene was huge.


Tad are just metal to me. Point blank. Tad is heavy - both musically and physically. Even more metallic than AIC and Soundgarden at their absolute sludgiest.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2481
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:52 pm 
 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Tad - Wood Goblin



Sludgy and metallic. Never really paid these guys much attention back when the Seattle scene was huge.


Tad are just metal to me. Point blank. Tad is heavy - both musically and physically. Even more metallic than AIC and Soundgarden at their absolute sludgiest.


Yep, I agree. But they aren't on the archives...

Top
 Profile  
AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Posts: 180
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm 
 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Tad - Wood Goblin



Sludgy and metallic. Never really paid these guys much attention back when the Seattle scene was huge.


Tad are just metal to me. Point blank. Tad is heavy - both musically and physically. Even more metallic than AIC and Soundgarden at their absolute sludgiest.


Yep, I agree. But they aren't on the archives...


Archives are Uber subjective. There’s no exact science. But I get your point.

Top
 Profile  
milosh111
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 7:22 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:07 am 
 

Skinny Puppy. Especially on Rabies, with a little help from Al Jourgensen...



Last edited by milosh111 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Pedr00
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:20 am 
 

VulpesInfernalis wrote:
Dir en Grey. What can be more metal than having been invited twice to Wacken, and playing with 7-string guitars and double bass and play actual death metal combined with avant garde metal and experimental rock?


Agree. Dum Spiro Spero is a fantastic and heavy album.


I put on the list Matanza / Matanza Inc. from Brazil.


Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 588
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 am 
 

I've always felt that the Tea Party came dangerously close to metal.
This tune is heavy-as-hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsSmRrYawoE

Top
 Profile  
funeralravens
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm
Posts: 140
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:27 am 
 

Lycia. This ethereal wave/darkwave/gothic rock band influenced a lot of funeral doom and dsbm bands, and they were even covered by Xasthur and Shape of Despair. Check this out:

Top
 Profile  
CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 am
Posts: 710
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:24 am 
 

Some of Harvey Milk's output would qualify here, particularly Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men which is in parts straight up sludge doom in the same style as the Melvins.

_________________
I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
This is filth

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chinese_Whispers, Crossbones, Empyreal, Fearoth, firelord_, Kirakishou, RestlessChild, Scorntyrant, Wilytank and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group