* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:35 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
George has bills to pay. I don't blame him.

A man's gotta eat...especially at his size.

Does't mean the project is not shit though.

I have a hard time knowing if it sucks without hearing more music.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:52 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
According to Wikipedia he hasn't even written a single Cannibal Corpse lyric since 1998?? That's probably common knowledge but I honestly thought he contributed... like, anything to the band other than his performance and presence.

That's my main gripe with CC. Barnes was great because

1. He could actually growl in the early 90s

2. He wrote really disgusting lyrics

I feel like if George tried, he could write some damn gruesome lyrics. I get it, he doesn't know how to play instruments or write music, I bet alot of vocalists can't play guitar or whatever, but he could at least write a few damn lines for a song.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36 pm 

GratefulDeadInside wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
According to Wikipedia he hasn't even written a single Cannibal Corpse lyric since 1998?? That's probably common knowledge but I honestly thought he contributed... like, anything to the band other than his performance and presence.

I feel like if George tried, he could write some damn gruesome lyrics. I get it, he doesn't know how to play instruments or write music, I bet alot of vocalists can't play guitar or whatever, but he could at least write a few damn lines for a song.

Again, would they be better than what the rest of them come up with? Apparently he doesn't think so and the band doesn't have a problem with it.

And we don't have to hear Squeals the vocalist in CC. Barnes had a few year run where his vocals weren't blown out. Even by TB he was showing major wear.

Did Joey Belladonna write anything for Anthrax?

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
GratefulDeadInside wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Again, would they be better than what the rest of them come up with? Apparently he doesn't think so and the band doesn't have a problem with it.

He hasn't tried since 1998. Personally I really like his lyrics on "Vile", he just needs to try and if he doesn't try, we'll never know if they're better or on the same level.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
i guess because Snider isn't currently in another really popular band and is known for being a bit more loose and free with his projects, it feels less inauthentic?

"Snider" and "authentic" aren't two words I'd use in the same sentence. Snider, JLT, Eric Martin... guys of that sort are great singers, but their artistic integrity is very flimsy, if anything.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:54 pm 

Didn't Dee write pretty much all of TS stuff after he came on?

entzauberung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:10 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Didn't Dee write pretty much all of TS stuff after he came on?

Think I read an interview with him saying he couldn't write modern metal, and didn't want to do TS type material out of respect to that band (for what it's worth). Dunno why he can't write his own lyrics anymore, though.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:46 am 

Why does it even matter if he writes lyrics for CC or not? Every band has a way that they like to work and for CC their method is for basically everyone to write their songs individually with Alex or Paul writing the lyrics. It works for them and the albums are good so what's the issue?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 pm 

Because extreme music has a very DIY ethos. Being in a band and not contributing any music or lyrics is something that may be common in other genres, but not in metal. It doesn't make me like Cannibal Corpse any less, it's just interesting and different/weird. It's also a very valid thing to discuss in a thread about that person's "solo" album.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:13 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Why does it even matter if he writes lyrics for CC or not? Every band has a way that they like to work and for CC their method is for basically everyone to write their songs individually with Alex or Paul writing the lyrics. It works for them and the albums are good so what's the issue?

Yeah, all I care about is the end product and I like the end product of Cannibal Corpse with Corpsegrinder on record and live.

As for this, I doubt I'll be buying it but who knows.

entzauberung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Because extreme music has a very DIY ethos. Being in a band and not contributing any music or lyrics is something that may be common in other genres, but not in metal. It doesn't make me like Cannibal Corpse any less, it's just interesting and different/weird. It's also a very valid thing to discuss in a thread about that person's "solo" album.

It's not that uncommon. LG Petrov never wrote any lyrics in Entombed, and neither does Tomi Joutsen in Amorphis to name a couple of big names.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:34 pm 

Okay, so that's three examples. Unless you can name a few hundred more I'd say that still meets the definition of uncommon. But that's not the point. The point is that it's weird it for a metal artist to be promoting a solo record when they typically aren't involved in any aspect of music other than performance.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:49 pm 

Man, some of you guys love to get bent out of shape over nothing.

As was mentioned, Corpsegrinder doesn't write anything for CC either. He's just got a vocal style that people love. We all know that Jasta loves death metal, so it's not surprising to me that Jasta thought "I want to write a death metal album and the perfect person to do vocals would be Corpsegrinder."

Honestly, I don't look at this as a cash-in, I look at this as a passion project... Jasta loves music and has been very consistently experimenting with different styles for probably over a decade now. Jasta has put out a ton of non-Hatebreed projects... I don't typically care for them but it just seems like he's got an inspiration to experiment that falls totally in line with this album.

The song itself isn't offensive either, I'd just say it's "standard" so it's hilarious that people are saying "mallcore" -- I didn't see him wearing eyeliner or skinny jeans, didn't hear any cleans either... If you don't want to listen to it, you don't have to. Some may listen and like it. I just don't understand when the board goes nuts with such vitriol over something that just isn't offensive.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:50 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Oh yeah for this album it's totally relevant that he didn't actually write all of it, as it's supposed to be a 'solo' album and all but for CC? How is band members writing the songs for their albums not DIY? It's literally them writing their own songs.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:

As was mentioned, Corpsegrinder doesn't write anything for CC either. He's just got a vocal style that people love. We all know that Jasta loves death metal, so it's not surprising to me that Jasta thought "I want to write a death metal album and the perfect person to do vocals would be Corpsegrinder."

Honestly, I don't look at this as a cash-in, I look at this as a passion project... Jasta loves music and has been very consistently experimenting with different styles for probably over a decade now. Jasta has put out a ton of non-Hatebreed projects... I don't typically care for them but it just seems like he's got an inspiration to experiment that falls totally in line with this album.

The song itself isn't offensive either, I'd just say it's "standard" so it's hilarious that people are saying "mallcore" -- I didn't see him wearing eyeliner or skinny jeans, didn't hear any cleans either... If you don't want to listen to it, you don't have to. Some may listen and like it. I just don't understand when the board goes nuts with such vitriol over something that just isn't offensive.

Agreed, came here to say something on the lines of this. Guess people are just looking for reasons to me mad at on the internet.

Who cares about writing lyrics, songwriting isn't the only element of a solo project. Whether it's Corpsegrinder or Petula Clark or Christina Aguilera, they're all musicians and if they don't want to or if they suck a writing lyrics, then, someone will do that for them. Quickly reminder that some of these two latest artists' hits weren't written by them, but by other people.

And I don't really understand all this witch-hunting about musicians wanting to capitalize their music. Yes, they also need to eat and pay the bills, big surprise. If it wasn't for Spotify, Youtube or the band's labels' avarice, then, the musicians wouldn't probably need to engage in extra endeavours in order to profit off from their music. It's, like, their work. A severely underpaid work. If that's wrong, then, be fair to y'all principles and stop going to live shows - wouldn't these greedy ass, money famished musicians try to cash off from it.

Also, remember the lockdowns?

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:10 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:

You addressed none of the valid points brought up in this thread.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:20 pm 

MDL wrote:
Who cares about writing lyrics, songwriting isn't the only element of a solo project. Whether it's Corpsegrinder or Petula Clark or Christina Aguilera, they're all musicians and if they don't want to or if they suck a writing lyrics, then, someone will do that for them. Quickly reminder that some of these two latest artists' hits weren't written by them, but by other people.

Did you just aks "Who cares about writing lyrics" in a thread full of people who said they considered it an important part of the role of a metal vocalist? And what the hell does pop vocalist like Christina Aguilera have to do with solo projects in metal? Pop and death metal are at polar opposites in terms of culture, and one of the main expectations that fans of metal bands, especially extreme metal bands have, is that the musicians do their own thing and actually write the music they perform. Like others pointed out before, underground metal has a DIY culture, and it feels very weird to have some producer guy do absolutely everything, from songwriting, to musician recruiting, to promotion, to basically everything, and then chose to stamp the name of some guy who is basically a session musician on top of it for marketing purposes. Nothing about this project "feels" like Corpsegrinder. Maybe death metal fans can look over the fact that he is not contributing any lyrics or songwriting credits to Cannibal Corpse because CC is a band, and the other guys who, you know, formed the band, chose the aesthetics, chose the themes, lyrics, wrote the songs and arrangements are part of the band.

Music being writen, marketed and sold by producers who use a charismatic figure might work for pop (even though I'd argue it's one of the reasons why metal fans usually tend to dislike a lot of pop) but it doesn't work for extreme metal.

I don't know why you guys are getting so butthurt defensive about us having reservations about this project. We're just talking here. I'm not saying you have to agree with us, but damn, you guys sure have a shitty way of expressing your views.

entzauberung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:27 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Okay, so that's three examples. Unless you can name a few hundred more I'd say that still meets the definition of uncommon. .

HUNDREDS? Jesus Christ. The band apparently feels others are better at writing lyrics than him. Like, that's it.

entzauberung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:38 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Music being writen, marketed and sold by producers who use a charismatic figure might work for pop (even though I'd argue it's one of the reasons why metal fans usually tend to dislike a lot of pop) but it doesn't work for extreme metal.

Well If this album does well I guess it DOES sometimes work for death metal ;).

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm 

entzauberung wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Well If this album does well I guess it DOES sometimes work for death metal ;).

I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you. The little we've heard from this actually sound decent, but nothing too fancy. I'm expecting it to be decent, but forgettable, but I'm ready to get proven wrong. I just think it's not really likely. I personnally can't really get into most "solo" metal projects, especially those of vocalists, even if I like the vocalists involved. And that's usually because their solo project has music that is written to serve their lyrics, rather then having their vocals serve the music. The most obvious example of this for me is Russell Allen whom we are more familiar with as the vocalist of Symphony X. His solo project and collaborations with other vocalists have some good moments, but I'd take any album from 1995-2007 era Symphony X over his entire body of work without them.

I like Corpsegrinder, don't get me wrong. The guy is a very charismatic frontman, and his vocals have a lot of depth and power. But I need the rest too: Webster's bass, Mazurkiewicz's drums, Barrett and Rutan's guitars. This new project actually features Rutan on guitars, so that's something. But I don't know. I love that metal is a "bands" genre, and that the formula with a producer hiring people to do stuff is less common in the genre.

So yeah, I hope it's good, but I'm not expecting much.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:35 pm 

Clearly it's weird that he doesn't contribute to music in a so-called "solo" album, but I don't see a problem with him not contributing to CC's lyrics or music. I mean other band members write the music and lyrics, I don't expect every members of a band to be great at songwriting or to be a talented lyricist. It's not an unrelated third party, which would be weird in metal.

But aside from the fact that they present it as a solo album, this collaboration doesn't bother me per se, I'll just wait and see if the music is worthwhile.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:56 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:

You addressed none of the valid points brought up in this thread.

They are valid to YOU. Not me. I came here to express my opinion on the matter. Again, like what you like... I just think there's an overreacting response to this topic - and I laid out why I think that's the case.

I actually respect what Jasta is doing here even though, as I said, I haven't cared for much of these projects musically. But I do think it's a case of him being inspired to try and create music based around artists he really likes - not a cash grab. Believe me, I doubt there's much money in something like this. That's why I called it a passion project.

Bushido
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:46 am 

Jasta is a smart businessman. A few years ago he said he could retire.

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:51 am 

bahhhhhh

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:25 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Clearly it's weird that he doesn't contribute to music in a so-called "solo" album, but I don't see a problem with him not contributing to CC's lyrics or music. I mean other band members write the music and lyrics, I don't expect every members of a band to be great at songwriting or to be a talented lyricist. It's not an unrelated third party, which would be weird in metal.

Literally no one said it's a problem, all I said is that it's uncommon and surprising. Which, again, it is, because the vast majority of metal vocalists write their own lyrics. Try to think of this for any other member of the band. If Paul came out and said "I don't know how to write good drum parts, every single beat and fill I play is exactly what George told me to do." we'd also be commenting on how that's unusual.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:28 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
It feels so weird to hear Corpsegrinder's vocals outside of Cannibal Corpse, but the little bit that I heard sounds interesting. Will definitely be giving this a spin when it comes out.

He recently did a guest feature on a metalcore album that released two months ago; I thought he sounded pretty good on it, so I'm interested in seeing what this pans out to be, especially since I actually like the riff in the preview. Honestly has a bit of -core vibes (which makes sense given Jasta is working on it), so that's a plus for me ^^

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 am 

And since we also mentionned Dee Snider and how Jasta produces his solo material, I think it's time to bring up this track from Dee Snider's most recent album Leave a Scar, that also has Corpsegrinder featuring on the track Time to Choose

I tried to imagine how Corpsegrinder's vocals would sound on non-extreme metal, and I couldn't really figure it out, but it actually works quite well.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:42 am 

you're right, that was surprisingly good for a clean+harsh vocal mix, and a decent track overall. that last half a minute was fucking awful though

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:17 pm 

joppek wrote:
you're right, that was surprisingly good for a clean+harsh vocal mix, and a decent track overall. that last half a minute was fucking awful though

There is an hardcore quality to Corpsegrinder's vocals that fits here. For his own "solo" project, this may prove to be an asset as it seems to be a death metal/hardcore hybrid. I don't know how well it will fare, but I think Corpsegrinder's style would fit with some beatdown hardcore style, à la Circle of Death for instance.

Bushido
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:40 pm 

Jasta did 2 pretty good Kingdom Of Sorrow albums with Kirk from Crowbar. Both of his solo albums have lots of guests doing the vocals. “They Want Your Soul” from his last solo album has Corpsegrinder on vocals.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:11 am 

First single- pretty cool with some thrash elements

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:34 am 

Song is cool. Nothing mind-blowing but great musicianship and Corpsegrinder's massive vocal. It's good. Especially in the face of how much this sub bitched about it like Corpsegrinder was the new frontman for Black Veil Brides or something.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:53 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
Song is cool. Nothing mind-blowing but great musicianship and Corpsegrinder's massive vocal. It's good. Especially in the face of how much this sub bitched about it like Corpsegrinder was the new frontman for Black Veil Brides or something.

Black Veil Brides featuring corpsegrinder. I must admit that particular pairing had never crossed my mind. Now I’m wondering what it would sound like….

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:42 am 

This is just a guess, but maybe George wanted to be part of something that was a bit catchier than what Cannibal Corpse has been doing for a while. Not that the band can't or won't still write those kinds of songs because they're obviously there, but they've put such a sharp focus on pushing their musicianship for the better part of the last 25 years that perhaps it's an element he's been missing out on and can showcase another side (or maybe as a reminder) of why he's one of the best in the genre.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:33 pm 

Loving this track! Even though it's not on-par with CC, I'm interested to see how the rest of the album plays out.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:23 pm 

I had no doubts about this being good. Fairly basic and nothing crazy complex or mind-blowing but definetely pretty good.

Also I kinda love that cover art.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm 

markhebb wrote:
First single- pretty cool with some thrash elements

Pretty generic for a death metal track, but it isn't terrible. If the rest of the album is like this I might consider picking it up. Cover art kinda sucks though.

pp3088
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:30 pm 

Vadara wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:
It feels so weird to hear Corpsegrinder's vocals outside of Cannibal Corpse, but the little bit that I heard sounds interesting. Will definitely be giving this a spin when it comes out.

He recently did a guest feature on a metalcore album that released two months ago; I thought he sounded pretty good on it, so I'm interested in seeing what this pans out to be, especially since I actually like the riff in the preview. Honestly has a bit of -core vibes (which makes sense given Jasta is working on it), so that's a plus for me ^^

Wow, metalcore has surely fallen to have something this awful labelled as "metalcore". Absolute crap!

The debut solo album statement is such a "false advertising". But I get it, they need money.

DanielG06
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 am 

If it's anything like the last CC record, it's gonna kick ass.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2