Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:27 pm 

Drudkh, Ukraine's best BM band (sorry NM, Khors and Astrofaes fans but, it's the truth!)
Anyways, Drudkh has a pretty long discography and I wanted to ask what it's your favourite album by them! (If you ever listened to Drudkh of course, if not then why are you reading this? smh my smh)

APaleShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 pm 

Autumn Aurora > Everything else

Honestly their discog seems like throwing a lot of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, though I'll admit Autumn Aurora, Blood in our Wells, and the lastest 2018 release are really good.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:31 am 

Like many bands they peaked early (Autumn Aurora) and have gone progressively downhill ever since.

On the whole I think they are influential but overrated. Their first two albums are the only ones I ever really revisit.

SmallPoxie wrote:
Drudkh, Ukraine's best BM band (sorry NM, Khors and Astrofaes fans but, it's the truth!)

Nokturnal Mortum are untouchable!

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 am 

pfk505 wrote:
Like many bands they peaked early (Autumn Aurora) and have gone progressively downhill ever since.

I don't know, I actually think the latter albums are pretty top notch. Their last album was pretty amazing and "Estrangement" is my favourite Drudkh album.

Sunbuilder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:16 am 

I always liked Drudkh a lot and it's cool that such a band exists from my home country. My favorite album of Drudkh that I listen to the most and would consider a huge influence on my own music would be the debut Forgotten Legends. I was lucky to find it on CD eleven years ago too. I love Forgotten Legends for the atmospheric riffs and melodies that put you in a trance. It's definitely the most black metal album of theirs rooted in heavy Burzum influence, but even then there's something more to it. It manages to do its own thing while using the general sound, style, and formula of black metal. It has this very warm and beautiful tone and feeling to the whole thing. The riffs, drums, and vocals on "False Dawn" are phenomenal! I always loved that little bass solo on "Forest in Fire and Gold," and I love the riffs, drums, and vocals on "Eternal Turn of the Wheel." Roman Saenko wrote very good music and deserves the praise he gets for his guitar craft! I also just always really loved the album cover with the orange color and the nature.

Anyway, like others have mentioned, Autumn Aurora is very good too! Maybe the tone/production is a little thin for the guitars, but it still works and the riffs are good. Definitely more melodic and when they began to evolve more into their folk style. I like The Swan Road, but it is a little weaker and I haven't listened to it in years. Blood in our Wells is better and I have definitely listened to this album a lot when I was younger. I can still appreciate it and will definitely need to listen to it again sometime. I always really liked the tracks "When the Flame Turns to Ashes" and "Eternity." Following that, the last album that I really enjoy is the acoustic album Songs of Grief and Solitude because all of the tracks are very beautiful and evoke images of Ukrainian nature while in a sorrowful, contemplative, and reflective way.

The last album I really listened to them that I still enjoyed was Microcosmos, which was pretty good, but I should listen to it more another time. After that, I kind of lost interest. I have been aware of their later output and have listened to some tracks (or even the entire album - I don't even remember), but nothing really resonated with me. I know they went further on into a melodic folk rock direction. A Handful of Stars album and onward they adopted more of an Alcest influence. Like I mentioned, I just keep going back to Forgotten Legends mostly for the reasons I stated.

Last edited by Sunbuilder on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:36 am 

Definitely Forgotten Legends for me. Autumn Aurora a very close second. I also really enjoy the later material and I thought the last was very strong. Definitely the shoe gazy/Alcest inspired Handful of Stars is their weakest.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:41 am 

Autumn Aurora is my favourite. It's the ultimate album for October/November. It took the more minimalist sound on Forgotten Legends and added more melody and synth. The main riff on Sunwheel is a big moment for me, I always imagine sunlight reflected in some pond. The only downside is the final ambient song. Totally pointless after the epic ending of the Wind of the Night Forest.

I would rate their early streak of albums up to and including Estrangement as at least 9/10. Everything after that has been slightly failed experiments or lacking in inspiration.

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 pm 

forgotten legends, but the whole catalogue is good

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:30 pm 

Autumn Aurora and Estrangement.

EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:34 pm 

Damn. All I've listened to is Blood In Our Wells, which was... okay. I guess I'm listening to Autumn Aurora after I finish this Bloodbath album.

Last edited by EvergreenSherbert on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:19 pm 

Most of their stuff I quite enjoy but Autumn Aurora felt special at the time and still does.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:50 pm 

Drudkh's first two albums are an atmospheric masterpiece for me. Blood in Our Wells, Microcosmos, and Handful of Stars are runner ups and are great in their own ways.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:19 am 

Blood in Our Wells because fuck atmosphere I want the big energy shredding and hooks. Bit of hyperbole there, I do like FL and AA a whole bunch, but the two big shreddy melodic ones are my favourite's of theirs.

They've been an interesting band over the years. Most of their early volley is excellent, Swan Road is pretty disposable after the first two and the acoustic album sucks, but the first two, BioW and Estrangement are all fantastic. I felt with Micropenis they got too posty and then Handful of Stars they were embarassing in their desperation to ape Alcest. Then their attempt of penance with the old style throwback of Eternal Turn of the Wheel was beyond phoned it and they seemed like a band doomed to be past it... and then Furrow drops and they've added this Hate Forest-y anger and propulsion to everything and it rules, which has continued onto their last one. They're both too long but I'm really excited about what the band has been doing of late. One of my favourite bands overall for sure.

Full ranking just because I have it on hand:
Blood in Our Wells
Estrangement
Forgotten Legends
Autumn Aurora
A Furrow Cut Short
They Often See Dreams About the Spring
Hades Almighty Split
Paysage D'Hiver Split
Grift Split
The Swan Road
Microcosmos
Eternal Turn of the Wheel
Handful of Stars
Songs of Grief and Solitude

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:27 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
then Furrow drops and they've added this Hate Forest-y anger and propulsion to everything and it rules, which has continued onto their last one. They're both too long but I'm really excited about what the band has been doing of late

Have to agree with this. The last couple have certainly reinvigorated my interest in them again after a couple stale offerings. I find myself listening to these newest ones the most following their early classics of Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora and Blood in our Wells

The0ne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:31 am 

SmallPoxie wrote:
I wanted to ask what it's your favourite album by them!

Blood in Our Wells for me.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:13 pm 

Forgotten Legends has always been my favorite, but it's also got a lot of nostalgic value for me. I used to listen to it pretty much every night when it was the only album they had, and then I added Autumn Aurora. I never liked Sunwheel on Autumn Aurora, and the album was a bit more pretty and dreamy compared to Forgotten Legends. I found Forgotten Legends to be extremely sad, emotional and hypnotic, and I usually like that type of feeling better. The opening riff on False Dawn still hits me every time.

Handful of Stars is probably the strangest since it barely sounds like them, but I think it's actually pretty good when you're in the mood for it. Microcosmos has one of my favorite songs - Все, що не сказано раніше (Everything Unsaid Before - and I think that album and Estrangement are both in my top 5 at least. Eternal Turn of the Wheel is a pretty chill and underrated album too IMO. I don't think they have a bad album (I don't really count Grief and Solitude) and I like their latest more aggressive stuff too. Swan Road has another favorite song of mine - Ціна волі (The Price of Freedom) but the album as a whole falls short a bit. Blood in Our Wells is also close to the top. I really like A Furrow Cut Short and Dreams of Spring when I listen to them, but for some reason I find them less memorable. The compilation is a really good more aggressive "album" too.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:47 pm 

Handful of Stars sounds like Brave Murder Day meets black metal. It was heavily criticized but I still liked it back in the day. I have to admit I haven't listened to Drudkh in a while though.

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 pm 

Not one of my favorite bands, but I own Forgotten Legends, Eternal Turn of the Wheel, & They Often See Dreams About the Spring, so those would obviously be my faves from them.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:39 pm 

Drudkh are one of my favourite bands, and they had IMO one of the strongest runs of the 2000s with not a single bad record. Yes, The Swan Road is criminally underrated and is not only strong on its own, but many grooves on that record set the tone for what Blood In Our Wells would be. Songs Of Grief And Solitude is good too. Not the best example of a black metal band going acoustic, but still good on its own and the recreations of their classic songs on acoustic is quite enjoyable. Estrangement is also very underrated, and I even love Handful Of Stars. Different, yes, but still genuine and strong for what it is, and it still DOES sound like a Drudkh record.

I feel like after that record and the extreme backlash (as well as with Old Silver Key), they got shook and back-peddled to try to make themselves relevant in the BM world again. The last 3 records and splits aren't bad, but are underwhelming. Stylistically I feel like they try to recreate Forgotten Legends too much, and that Ukrainian folk element that made their writing so unique is just...gone, and it just sounds like B-tier Wolves In The Throne Room riffs. They're not BAD records, and the They Often See Dreams About The Spring is definitely a step up again, but it still has that problem where it's enjoyable in the moment, but as soon as the record is done I can't recall what any of it sounds like, even after multiple listens. It hardly sticks with me at all.

My favourite is Blood In Our Wells. The churning progressions and the desperation in the riffs and melodies are at their strongest on that record and still incredibly atmospheric, and the production is a perfect example of a lo-fi, low budget recording that was mixed extraordinarily well, and thus still manages to sound like a good production that's very warm on the ears (definitely a good call for them to turn up the bass as much as they did). Plus, the solo in Furrows Of Gods is like the Stairway To Heaven of black metal.

The soloing in general on that album is remarkable, and Roman's soloing throughout their career has always been strong, even the tamed-down solos. Definitely one of my biggest influences as a lead player, and it's another reason why the newest material bugs me so much. Drudkh without soloing is like Frank Mullen without the hand-chop, and there have been so many opportunities for Roman to lay down something great, but........nope.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:36 pm 

So I only like about 5-6 Black Metal albums, meaning albums that I think are really good all the way through as a listening experience. Autumn Aurora happens to be one of them, so obviously they did something right to my ears.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:17 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Drudkh are one of my favourite bands, and they had IMO one of the strongest runs of the 2000s with not a single bad record. Yes, The Swan Road is criminally underrated and is not only strong on its own, but many grooves on that record set the tone for what Blood In Our Wells would be. Songs Of Grief And Solitude is good too. Not the best example of a black metal band going acoustic, but still good on its own and the recreations of their classic songs on acoustic is quite enjoyable. Estrangement is also very underrated, and I even love Handful Of Stars. Different, yes, but still genuine and strong for what it is, and it still DOES sound like a Drudkh record.

I feel like after that record and the extreme backlash (as well as with Old Silver Key), they got shook and back-peddled to try to make themselves relevant in the BM world again. The last 3 records and splits aren't bad, but are underwhelming. Stylistically I feel like they try to recreate Forgotten Legends too much, and that Ukrainian folk element that made their writing so unique is just...gone, and it just sounds like B-tier Wolves In The Throne Room riffs. They're not BAD records, and the They Often See Dreams About The Spring is definitely a step up again, but it still has that problem where it's enjoyable in the moment, but as soon as the record is done I can't recall what any of it sounds like, even after multiple listens. It hardly sticks with me at all.

My favourite is Blood In Our Wells. The churning progressions and the desperation in the riffs and melodies are at their strongest on that record and still incredibly atmospheric, and the production is a perfect example of a lo-fi, low budget recording that was mixed extraordinarily well, and thus still manages to sound like a good production that's very warm on the ears (definitely a good call for them to turn up the bass as much as they did). Plus, the solo in Furrows Of Gods is like the Stairway To Heaven of black metal.

The soloing in general on that album is remarkable, and Roman's soloing throughout their career has always been strong, even the tamed-down solos. Definitely one of my biggest influences as a lead player, and it's another reason why the newest material bugs me so much. Drudkh without soloing is like Frank Mullen without the hand-chop, and there have been so many opportunities for Roman to lay down something great, but........nope.

Furrows of Gods remains the best Drudkh song period and one of the black metal, or even, metal songs of all time

Blood in our Wells is a god tier record. I enjoy the earlier stuff too, but that one is just magnificent, especially the original artwork with the carriage.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pm 

I have the first three Drudkh albums. Those are great records, although Autumn Aurora is just a hair overrated. The Swan Road obviously draws strong influence from that Borknagar debut album.

I really really need to check out Blood in Our Wells. I’ve heard great things about that one.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:41 pm 

Blood in Our Wells is like a spiritual successor to Autumn Aurora, in my view. Similar sound, but it keeps the folky and rustic parts of The Swan Road, and the imagery shifts from nature to Ukrainian traditions and rural life.

I also think The Swan Road is overlooked. Some may be put off by the harsher production and blast beats, but songs like Blood, Glare of 1768 and The Price of Freedom are Drudkh classics.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:21 am 

Ever since I discovered Drudkh I have regarded them as a top-tier black metal band. For whatever reason it's been a long time since I revisited them but this thread made me do so. The early stuff is good but I think the production lacks (and I'm not fond of the vocals on the first couple of albums). Handful of Stars get a lot of shit but I liked it then and I might even like it more now. However it is only Blood in our Wells that are excellent. To my ears it is a classic! The way they combine the slower side of black metal with the great atmosphere and the lead guitars just sound unique. It is an amazing record!
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:44 am 

For me each Drudkh album represents a small period of my life with different music influences and different moods in general. If I could pick a top 3 those would be :

1) Forgotten Legends
2) The Swan Road
3) Blood in our Wells

I think that Autumn Aurora is a bit overrated. I really liked Microcosmos and even A Handful of Stars.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:10 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Blood in Our Wells because fuck atmosphere I want the big energy shredding and hooks. Bit of hyperbole there, I do like FL and AA a whole bunch, but the two big shreddy melodic ones are my favourite's of theirs.

They've been an interesting band over the years. Most of their early volley is excellent, Swan Road is pretty disposable after the first two and the acoustic album sucks, but the first two, BioW and Estrangement are all fantastic. I felt with Micropenis they got too posty and then Handful of Stars they were embarassing in their desperation to ape Alcest. Then their attempt of penance with the old style throwback of Eternal Turn of the Wheel was beyond phoned it and they seemed like a band doomed to be past it... and then Furrow drops and they've added this Hate Forest-y anger and propulsion to everything and it rules, which has continued onto their last one. They're both too long but I'm really excited about what the band has been doing of late. One of my favourite bands overall for sure.

Good breakdown! Blood In Our Wells is my favorite too but i'll take Microcosmos as my second best because i felt the post- influences were really tastefully integrated on that one. I have similar feelings on the rest of the albums

mot_the_barber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:37 pm 

SmallPoxie wrote:

Kroda: "Am I a joke to you?"

Prairieshadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:33 am 

I've always really loved Microcosmos, going back and listening to AA I can see why it gets so much love, it's really a magical album. In general I find they have a really strong discography and I like most of their releases, there are a few I've not heard, though, including Handful of Stars which has always seemed the most divisive.

Reply to topic