Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:40 pm 

It's easy! Just say a metal related opinion that not many people agree with! I'll start:

-I like snares that sound like trash
What are yours?

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:46 pm 

Six Feet Under was actually pretty good when they started.

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:49 pm 

Ozzy Osbourne is a fraud, and 80s Black Sabbath is their best era hands down.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:51 pm 

* Alternative metal and all its derivatives are actually pretty good and most haters are just too afraid to admit it;

* Illud Divinum Insanus is a great album;

* Most symphonic metal fans are creepos (yes, I'm a fan too, but that's from my experience on live shows and facebook groups that I can verify that);

* However, it is still the best and more versatile genre of metal (apart from black metal);

* Slayer's more "experimental" outputs are very good, as well.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:59 pm 

Donington 1988 is one of the worst live performances Maiden ever did, and people who try and claim it's a classic show simply haven't taken the time to listen to the performance objectively and are hearing what they think they should hear rather than what is actually on the recording. If you want a classic Maiden Donington performance, try 1992.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:04 pm 

Oh, and 98 Live Meltdown > Unleashed In The East.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 pm 

Summoning sucks, I forgot that one

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:16 pm 

Satyricon got better as they got less trve black metal.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Except for this one.

Pistols at 20 paces sir? :grr:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:19 pm 

GratefulDeadInside wrote:
Six Feet Under was actually pretty good when they started.

I'll agree with that one. Haunted was decent, but everything after that went downhill pretty fast.

SmallPoxie wrote:

But what about Minas Morgul?! :???:

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:20 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Except for this one.

Pistols at 20 paces sir? :grr:

:lol: I like Unleashed a lot, actually. But 98 Live Meltdown has 1) live vocals and 2) I love how brutal Priest's live sound was at that time.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 pm 

Heavier production with thumping kicks is the best kind of production. I want to feel like the band is playing in my living room, not like I'm listening to them through speaker phone. Lo-fi production/weak bass ruin pretty much any newly released Metal for me. I understand the stylistic reasoning for going that route, but I l can't stand it. It's especially bad when fantastic music is ruined by triggered kicks that sound like a stapler. Classics of the 80s and 90s are a product of their time and the technology available, so they don't count.

Reverb vocals are crap and won't make you sound like Ozzy.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:28 pm 

Clean vocals > growling and screeching

My opinion and I'll die on this hill.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:33 pm 

It's basically worthless to do nothing with a sound but try and recapture old aesthetics and styles - unless you're like super ace songwriters, I'll probably just stick to the classics.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:37 pm 

Melodic death metal and black metal are musically superior and more interesting than traditional black and death metal.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:39 pm 

Actually fuck it, I've got tons of opinions for this thread:

* The X Factor is in Maiden's top 3 albums. And AMOLAD is Maiden's finest hour, and really they should have called it a day there in terms of studio releases as they weren't going to top it.

* If you took the best tracks off Load and ReLoad and put them on a single CD, it would be second only to Ride The Lightning in Metallica's discography.

* Rust in Peace is chronically overrated (see my review of it). Starts and ends brilliantly, middle of the record dead in the water, no hooks or interesting riffs. Production is pretty average too, the original mix has NO BASS to speak of.

* Endgame is Megadeth's nadir; dull and uninteresting thrash songs topped with crappy conspiracy theory lyrics.

* Youthanasia, on the other hand, is Megadeth's finest hour; catchy, heavy and with a real emotional heft to it, especially once you realise the context of the record in relation to Mustaine's own personal issues at the time.

* 80s Rush post Signals is terrible. Dated keyboards, shiny production, attempts at making 'deep' and 'mature' music that sounds corny now, and songs that sound like ad jingles for Goldman Sachs. Few 70s bands fell as flat on their faces in the following decade like they did.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's basically worthless to do nothing with a sound but try and recapture old aesthetics and styles - unless you're like super ace songwriters, I'll probably just stick to the classics.

Greta Van Fleet does not hear you!

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

This is a good one. A lot of bands from the last decade or so can be put into this category. Unless you can deliver your own unique take on a classic style while still being faithful to it (like Reverend Bizarre) then it's just not that interesting.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:41 pm 

Piece of Mind is overrated and the weakest in Maiden's output during the 80s by far. The Trooper is the only real highlight and everything that comes after it feels boring. Side one is slightly better but none of the songs really grab me like Aces High and 2 Minutes to Midnight do. Thankfully they more than redeemed themselves with Powerslave, which is in my top 5 list of metal albums.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 pm 

* The Great Southern Trendkill is Pantera's Sabotage.

* Not an unpopular opinion per se, but very, very few bands have ever made an album as utterly bleak, desolate and downright disturbing as Alice In Chains' self-titled effort. Goes to places emotionally that few artists reach (possibly for the best...). Surely the bleakest record ever to top the Billboard charts.

* Supernatural Birth Machine could have been one of Cathedral's best albums if they hadn't rushed it; as it is it's still quite decent and underrated on the whole.

Last edited by Cosmic_Equilibrium on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 pm 

The "fake" drums on Dream Theater's Images and Words sound amazing: one of my favorite drum sounds ever.

Modern Cannibal Corpse albums like Kill > their classic albums.

Metallica's Kill 'Em All is fun and historically important, but not great. They found their voice on Ride the Lightning.

Old Manowar > any Manilla Road.

Judas Priest's greatest song in the past 40 years is from the Ripper Owens era. Guess the one I'm thinking of.

Yngwie Malmsteen is good.

Albums are best listened to as the artist intended, without speeding up songs, deleting tracks, adjusting EQ, or whatever. I only make exceptions when something's so shitty it actually causes my brain to explode: I don't feel bad for deleting "Pleasure Slave" from Kings of Metal, for example.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm 

Most classic stuff has been improved by more modern underground bands. The metal community overrates novelty, originality and nostalgia.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:55 pm 

Most Thrash Metal bands play boring, generic, unimaginative and just plain lame music.

SmallPoxie wrote:

Fight me.

Last edited by Thexhumed on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:56 pm 

Too many doom metal "classics" are ruined by trying to be too sad.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:00 pm 

Actually fuck it, I've got tons of opinions for this thread:

* The X Factor is in Maiden's top 3 albums. And AMOLAD is Maiden's finest hour, and really they should have called it a day there in terms of studio releases as they weren't going to top it.

* If you took the best tracks off Load and ReLoad and put them on a single CD, it would be second only to Ride The Lightning in Metallica's discography.

* Rust in Peace is chronically overrated (see my review of it). Starts and ends brilliantly, middle of the record dead in the water, no hooks or interesting riffs. Production is pretty average too, the original mix has NO BASS to speak of.

* Endgame is Megadeth's nadir; dull and uninteresting thrash songs topped with crappy conspiracy theory lyrics.

* Youthanasia, on the other hand, is Megadeth's finest hour; catchy, heavy and with a real emotional heft to it, especially once you realise the context of the record in relation to Mustaine's own personal issues at the time.

* 80s Rush post Signals is terrible. Dated keyboards, shiny production, attempts at making 'deep' and 'mature' music that sounds corny now, and songs that sound like ad jingles for Goldman Sachs. Few 70s bands fell as flat on their faces in the following decade like they did.

Sir? About those pistols.... :fuck:

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:01 pm 

MawBTS wrote:

Albums are best listened to as the artist intended, without speeding up songs, deleting tracks, adjusting EQ, or whatever. I only make exceptions when something's so shitty it actually causes my brain to explode: I don't feel bad for deleting "Pleasure Slave" from Kings of Metal, for example.

The mid range EQ dip is absolutely necessary for listening to most 80's production.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:02 pm 

Most black metal is just awful. It isn't until t they move past the early stylistic limitations the genre really gets interesting.

Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:02 pm 

Blue Oyster Cult should be on the Archives for the same reason Rush/Deep Purple/Thin Lizzy are: they are an absolutely key influence to the genre, primarily in terms of the creepy/odd/eerie vibe much of their songs have. They also had a sci-fi element to their songs and aesthetic which I think also permeated through to the metal genre. A lot of doom metal especially can be traced to the twin influences of Sabbath and BOC (listen to the first Saint Vitus album and you can clearly hear the lineage), and modern bands like Ghost owe a lot to them. I agree, they aren't a metal band, but neither are Rush - my argument is that BOC, like Rush, should be granted a special exemption from the regular criteria and put on the Archives because of their undoubted influence on heavy metal throughout the decades.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:03 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Greta Van Fleet does not hear you!

I liked their first EP or whatever, but I didn't keep up with em and honestly don't know all that much Led Zeppelin in the first place, so that might be why I liked it.

The exceptions to my other post is mainly Ironsword off the top of my head.

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MawBTS
Metalhead

Quote:
Most Thrash Metal bands play boring, generic, unimaginative and just plain lame music.

Also, more than a few classic thrash albums would be derided as pizza thrash if released today.

Xytras71
Metalhead

"Iron Maiden" and "Killers" are two best Iron Maiden albums. Yes its unpopular but its my opinion and I am sticking with it, haha

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Most necro black metal is just awful.

What's "necro black metal"?

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:07 pm 

Mk III: The Final Concerts is the best Deep Purple live album.

Rainbow - Live In Germany 1976 is the greatest example of live 70s hard rock ever released, and the absolute peak of Blackmore as a guitarist and performer.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:08 pm 

SmallPoxie wrote:

Slipknot should be on the archives, Summoning shouldn't. That shit is just cheesy ambient with blast beats. Not a single metal riff to be heard.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:13 pm 

Branikald and by extension the whole of Blazebirth Hall don't channel anything resembling sorrow. Fuck, if I had to live in Russia, I'd be depressed too. Kaldrad probably just took a look out the the window of his slumhole apartment, saw a brown person, and had a panic attack.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:17 pm 

I have quite a few ...

- ENDORAMA is a catchy gothic rock/metal album by Kreator and the best of their 4 experimental 90's albums.

- BLESSED ARE THE SICK is the best of the first 3 MA albums.

- DIABOLUS IN MUSICA is a different but decent Slayer record and better than GHUA and Repentless.

- BLACKWATER PARK is a really boring album.

- The Japanese group SIGH are terrible. They are also an awful live act. To quote another poster, "Sigh are bad and people have bad taste".

- Geoff Tate was never a good vocalist even in his prime. His vocals are thin and whiny.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:17 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
SmallPoxie wrote:

Slipknot should be on the archives, Summoning shouldn't. That shit is just cheesy ambient with blast beats. Not a single metal riff to be heard.

Slipknot should definitely be on here, if Vol 3 isn't a metal album then the genre is confused.

So should Tad.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:22 pm 

MDL wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Most necro black metal is just awful.

What's "necro black metal"?

I edited my post since you are right that was not very well put.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:25 pm 

Also, 99% of black metal musicians shouldn't touch ambient music. And frankly, if you can't tell me what your favorite Robert Rich piece is, you don't have a valid opinion on the genre.

On that note, gatekeeping is a good thing. The fact that we have people running around trying to assert that Burzum's prison albums are actually good means it's not being done enough.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:29 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
On that note, gatekeeping is a good thing. The fact that we have people running around trying to assert that Burzum's prison albums are actually good means it's not being done enough.

Going off this, the fact that people like Burzum at all given Varg's atrocious opinions and statements is baffling to me and itself evidence of a skewed priority. But this is more just me letting politics supersede music. But it is what it is.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 221  Next