Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
There's a shitload of amazing melodic metal that usually only gets niche attention while most fans of the genre talk about awful stuff like Sabaton or Beast in Black. This is how it goes I guess.

I remember listening to tracks from their first three records in the 2000's and enjoying it for what it was. For me, they were one of the many power metal bands around, and I didn't like them any more or less then others.

I kind of lost touch with power metal in general over the years, but I never quite understood the sudden boom in popularity that they got during the 2010's. Can anyone enlighten me on this? It feels like all of a sudden, at some point, normies, 9gag and Reddit nerds were suddenly all jizzing themselves over how amazing Sabaton was. Did I miss something?

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:33 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
InnesI wrote:
I think threads like these do draw in contrarian trolls who just want to be heard but I also think many dismiss others unpopular opinions because they think they are trolls (as we've seen a few times in this thread already). It goes both ways.

Well, if people present their "unpopular opinions" in bullet points form without providing explanations as to why they believe these things, it sure comes off as contrarian trolling.

These threads also always make me try to evaluate if I have any of these "unpopular opinions", but I rarely do. I do love some very underground records and rank them higher then others do, but liking underground stuff isn't an "unpopular opinion", not among metalheads anyway.

One opinion I have that is kind of unpopular is that, out of Megadeth's first three records, only Peace Sells is really solid. The other two are good enough, but nothing outstanding. In the Megadeth versus Metallica battle, Metallica wins the 80's hands down. Megadeth's finest moment was definitely Rust In Peace (not an unpopular opinion), but I think Countdown to Extinction was also extremely solid and maybe top 3 best Megadeth albums material (unpopular opinion?)

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
The above post reminded me.... Killing is My Business fucking SUCKS. It sounds like a demo recorded by the band while they were on too many drugs to play competently. The leap in quality they made in one album/year to Peace Sells is fucking MASSIVE.

Killing is My Business is at least on par with Kill Em All for me. Every track aside from 'Looking Down the Cross' and 'These Boots' is killer. And between Peace Sells and Ride the Lightning, I'd take the former, although by an extremely close margin. The best track on the latter was co-written by Mustaine. Also I'd only call SFSGSW solid at best, but it suffers from none of the bloat that AJFA did; 'Mary Jane' is one of their most underrated tracks. Finally Rust in Peace is, I think, the greatest thrash metal album of all time. Countdown to Extinction is more of a heavy metal album since they stripped down the thrash elements, so while it's solid it's a bit too pedestrian for my tastes. It's still more interesting than the Black Album though.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Well, if people present their "unpopular opinions" in bullet points form without providing explanations as to why they believe these things, it sure comes off as contrarian trolling.

Which is why its good to ask for an explanation instead of disregarding people because they aren't as elaborate in stating why they think something. That said I'm sure some say things only to troll as well.

MetalVermont wrote:
Um, no. Maiden was getting progressive with SiT and SSoaSS, WAY before X-Factor.

Perhaps I should have said they were taking larger steps into the progressive world of music. They has some progressive elements before, and some progressive songs. But this is the first time they really did something risky with their sound throughout the whole length of an album. Obviously the change of vocalist helped in making it sound very different but with everything the same but with Bruce on vocals I think this album would stand out quite a bit. I actually think this still is the only Iron Maiden album that has a totally different feel to it compared to the rest of the discography.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:56 am 

InnesI wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Which is why its good to ask for an explanation instead of disregarding people because they aren't as elaborate in stating why they think something. That said I'm sure some say things only to troll as well.

This thread has moved so fast, I think it's fine that most of the opinions are bullet points. It'd be a novel if all of them were in essay form. The way it is now people can quote ones they find most conspicuous and discuss those.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:00 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
This thread has moved so fast, I think it's fine that most of the opinions are bullet points. It'd be a novel if all of them were in essay form. The way it is now people can quote ones they find most conspicuous and discuss those.

I guess this is true. My bad for the passive-aggressive post.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:07 pm 

No need for apologies in this thread, even if you're dead wrong, it can still count as an "unpopular opinion" and be on-topic. : )

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:19 pm 

The vast majority of metal albums released in previous 2 decades are pure unimaginative and boring shit!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:21 pm 

You missed the bullet point to legitimize it.

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:22 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
ThStealthK wrote:
Ulcerate played tech death until their first album. So continuing to believe that they are still tech death is like believing that a Siberian husky looks like a Gray wolf.

I personnally don't understand why Ulcerate is not categorized as black death metal. They have a ton of black metal elements all over their tracks, especially on their latest. I'm not just talking atmosphere and tone, I'm talking very obviously black metal riffing too.

What I meant by this is that they are no longer technical death metal since their second album, but rather post death metal with avant-garde black metal influences underneath post-metal influences.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:29 pm 

ThStealthK wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
ThStealthK wrote:
Ulcerate played tech death until their first album. So continuing to believe that they are still tech death is like believing that a Siberian husky looks like a Gray wolf.

I personnally don't understand why Ulcerate is not categorized as black death metal. They have a ton of black metal elements all over their tracks, especially on their latest. I'm not just talking atmosphere and tone, I'm talking very obviously black metal riffing too.

What I meant by this is that they are no longer technical death metal since their second album, but rather post death metal with avant-garde black metal influences underneath post-metal influences.

I understand. My post was not in opposition to yours. I was actually kind of building on top of it. Not only are they not tech death, but they also have a ton of black metal elements that makes me uncomfortable to call them just death metal. Maybe the foundation is death metal, but I don't think you can look my straight in the eyes and tell me that tracks like The Lifeless Advance or Stare into Death and Be Still, are not as much black as their are death metal, if not more black metal then death metal.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:38 pm 

I'm trying to figure out why we don't have deathgaze yet. Or crustgaze. Are death metal and punk fans just not fans of shoegaze or post-rock enough to experiment with it outside of an isolated album or track or two?

Bushido
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:02 pm 

Surviving Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, and Slayer mosh pits is the most important criteria for being a metalhead.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:05 pm 

Bushido wrote:
Surviving Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, and Slayer mosh pits is the most important criteria for being a metalhead.

You mean 'or', right?

Bushido
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:27 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Bushido wrote:

You mean 'or', right?

Yes. Surviving the pit for one of those 3 or someone equivalent like Sepultura in the 1990s.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:43 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Which album do you recommend?

Act II, the 2018 live one. Any of her recent gigs posted to youtube. The studio albums are all good starting from 2013, but live is always better.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:
What's so "aesthetic" about objectifying female singers?

It's just a roundabout way of noting that I've observed the same, though it's less common for it to be as obnoxiously obvious as it was in the 00s.

Whew. Way too roundabout, don't you think? Makes it look as if you don't mind it.

I wouldn't say it's become anyhow less common. Back then, we only had plunging necklines... these days, it's shorts/leotards/miniskirts _and_ boob windows at once. Even if it's an open air gig (or after the gig even!) and it's windy/cold. The males are all in hoodies, the "diva" is almost naked. And wearing high heels. Pains me to see stuff like that.
Internalised misogyny is sadly very much a thing; those girls don't know anything better than to try and strip in order to boost sales or simply make themselves feel more "worthy" or even "badass" (like half-dressed "eye candy" characters in blockbuster movies). It gets really sad and pathetic. Especially if they are capable singers.
I blame the social media culture for a lot of this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:45 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
There's a shitload of amazing melodic metal that usually only gets niche attention while most fans of the genre talk about awful stuff like Sabaton or Beast in Black. This is how it goes I guess.

I remember listening to tracks from their first three records in the 2000's and enjoying it for what it was. For me, they were one of the many power metal bands around, and I didn't like them any more or less then others.

I kind of lost touch with power metal in general over the years, but I never quite understood the sudden boom in popularity that they got during the 2010's. Can anyone enlighten me on this? It feels like all of a sudden, at some point, normies, 9gag and Reddit nerds were suddenly all jizzing themselves over how amazing Sabaton was. Did I miss something?

I don't know if I ever kept up with it enough to realize how big they got. I didn't even play them for years until I checked out The Last Stand on a whim and hated it. I guess they just got super popular.

AJManiac666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:44 pm 

Metal is the best! Snarling, Screeching vocals and loud guitar! \m/

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:45 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why we don't have deathgaze yet. Or crustgaze. Are death metal and punk fans just not fans of shoegaze or post-rock enough to experiment with it outside of an isolated album or track or two?

I feel like crustgaze would work, if it doesn't just evolve into shitty emo post-hardcore or something. Deathgaze also sounds like an interesting idea, I can almost imagine death metal tremolo picking over shoegaze atmospheres...

After a quick google search, I might have actually found a deathgaze kind of band called Kardashev. And they sound really good.
https://kardashev.bandcamp.com/album/peripety

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:21 pm 

Just posting some crap without any kind of qualification or explanation makes for no discussion at all. i don't know why people even bother.

Anyway, I guess here's one I just thought of the other day while listening to a newer iron Maiden album.
Nico McBrain is a very good drummer and very tight with the band. But I feel like the band is generally quite 'stiff" in their playing now. I wish Clive Burr had stayed on sometimes, and hadn't had the health issues he did. Or that they had found a drummer with a style closer to Clive's to replace him. I really like his drumming style and sometimes I wonder what latterday iron maiden might sound like if they just injected a bit more of a free-spirited, rockish approach, which I feel Burr had in his drumming.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:26 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
tahu157 wrote:
Sabaton's jaunty, upbeat style of power metal is in no way disrespectful to the topic of war.

It is disrespectful to the concept of metal and music in general, though.

Shirley666 wrote:
tahu157 wrote:
Sabaton's jaunty, upbeat style of power metal is in no way disrespectful to the topic of war.

My main problem with them is just that they’re repetitive till the point they became boring af

Fair enough opinions both. Imo Sabaton are a very important gateway band, but anyone that has been able to explore the seen a bit more will/should graduate from them fairly quickly.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:28 pm 

I've never liked the term "graduate" or anything similar to suggest a band is unworthy of listening to. I didn't get into power metal through Sabaton by any means, and I treat them like any other band. They released a bunch of albums I liked, then started getting more repetitive, and are still good but not as good as they used to be. I still buy the albums and feel no shame in liking them because they write catchy songs.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:08 pm 

It only scores a 53% here, but I think Lamb of God's very first record, New American Gospel, is a fine piece of orchestrated chaos. "Flying off the rails" madness they could pull off only once, and almost on the verge of being a grindcore record (in terms of sheer velocity). If it were up to me, it'd have an overall score of 80-85%

And I'm not much of a fan either, though I like those first three (Gospel, As the Palaces Burn and Ashes of the Wake).

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:16 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Death's "Sound of Perseverance" is essentially unlistenable due to the shockingly terrible, utterly dreadful 'vocals'. (Chuck, RIP, but what the hell were you thinking?!?!??!)

I couldn't agree more. How a man's voice can be that ridiculously high pitched almost defies reality. And the Painkiller cover is horrid.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:19 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Nico McBrain is a very good drummer and very tight with the band. But I feel like the band is generally quite 'stiff" in their playing now. I wish Clive Burr had stayed on sometimes, and hadn't had the health issues he did. Or that they had found a drummer with a style closer to Clive's to replace him. I really like his drumming style and sometimes I wonder what latterday iron maiden might sound like if they just injected a bit more of a free-spirited, rockish approach, which I feel Burr had in his drumming.

Really? Clive was much more in the pocket. Nicko plays more 'around' the beat.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:30 pm 

I suppose my unpopular opinion is that I never cared for Iron Maiden - really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:37 pm 

I have a few.

Tool's Undertow is a metal album, much in the same way that Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger and other earlier efforts are metal albums. Loads of old Black Sabbath and stoner-influenced riffs, only one or two songs that aren't unquestionably metal. If 4 Degress and Disgustipated were replaced with songs more in the vein of Prison Sex or the title track, they would be on the archives, no question about it.

On the other end of the spectrum, Alice in Chains was never a metal band. They have undeniably metal songs like Dam That River, A Looking In View, and Them Bones (by a stretch), but all their albums drift too far into alt-rock chord strumming on the choruses, throughout the song, or acoustic balladry for any of their albums to be metal by any stretch of the imagination. They have metal influences, but they're not a metal band.

Finally, Deafheaven was never good. They were basically the metal community's punching bag for a hot minute when Sunbather got really popular, but everyone seemed to warm up to them when New Bermuda released. That's odd to me, because that record is stylistically scarcely different from Sunbather, except that it has a few more "galloping" riffs which might have fooled some people into thinking that it was more metallic. Overall, though, the well-known Deafheaven sound (not the alt rock shoegaze they did on Infinite Granite) is a massively bloated, uninteresting blackened post-hardcore mess with one-dimensional vocals and really bad incomprehensible lyrics. Their clean interludes are always great, though.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:44 pm 

quickbeam wrote:
I suppose my unpopular opinion is that I never cared for Iron Maiden - really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Same for me. Even more blasphemous... I never liked Metallica. Or any literally an heavy or thrash metal band. Just not my thing I guess.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:45 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
On the other end of the spectrum, Alice in Chains was never a metal band.

Thank you. I still don't understand why people call them a metal band.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:55 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
I wouldn't say it's become anyhow less common. Back then, we only had plunging necklines... these days, it's shorts/leotards/miniskirts _and_ boob windows at once. Even if it's an open air gig (or after the gig even!) and it's windy/cold. The males are all in hoodies, the "diva" is almost naked. And wearing high heels. Pains me to see stuff like that.
Internalised misogyny is sadly very much a thing; those girls don't know anything better than to try and strip in order to boost sales or simply make themselves feel more "worthy" or even "badass" (like half-dressed "eye candy" characters in blockbuster movies). It gets really sad and pathetic. Especially if they are capable singers.
I blame the social media culture for a lot of this.

I was talking about the lecherous fan comments more than the actual artist behavior, which has seemed fairly constant. I think we talked about this in a thread last year, but I'm never sure how much is pushed on them by marketing executives and how much is their own idea. I've read/seen some interviews where some are very sex-positive and totally embrace it, but if they don't explicitly say it's hard to tell. But in spite of the rise of social media, listener commentary seems much more restrained now to me than it used to. In the 00s on forums like this (maybe even on this one, I wouldn't know) "10 hottest females in metal" lists were regular topics, and "who cares if she can sing, she's a babe!"-style comments were far more ubiquitous, plus more salacious banter. I'm sure that type of vapid, superficial commentary still exists, I just don't observe nearly as much of it as back then. I might just be on the wrong media platforms.

Spiner202 wrote:
I've never liked the term "graduate" or anything similar to suggest a band is unworthy of listening to.

I agree. "Gateway" bands like Judas Priest, Dark Tranquillity, Black Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Immortal, In Flames, Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy, Megadeth, Nightwish, Opeth, Sonata Arctica, Soilwork, Death and such are still good decades after getting into them. You can both be good and accessible.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:14 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
The vast majority of metal albums released in previous 2 decades are pure unimaginative and boring shit!

Truth my brother!

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:52 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
I've never liked the term "graduate" or anything similar to suggest a band is unworthy of listening to. I didn't get into power metal through Sabaton by any means, and I treat them like any other band. They released a bunch of albums I liked, then started getting more repetitive, and are still good but not as good as they used to be. I still buy the albums and feel no shame in liking them because they write catchy songs.

Yeah, graduate probably wasn't the best choice of words. I definitely do not think that anyone is required to phase accessible bands out of their listening or anything like that. And if your taste in metal is all accessible stuff then that is perfectly okay too. That said, I do think a lot of people will naturally find that bands like Sabaton rank lower and lower on their favorite bands list as they get deeper into the metal iceberg. That's how it was for me anyway. There was a time when Sabaton would have been a top 20 or top 15 band for me. Now they're maybe in the top 70?

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Tool's Undertow is a metal album, much in the same way that Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger and other earlier efforts are metal albums. Loads of old Black Sabbath and stoner-influenced riffs, only one or two songs that aren't unquestionably metal. If 4 Degress and Disgustipated were replaced with songs more in the vein of Prison Sex or the title track, they would be on the archives, no question about it.

I agree with you here, I think you could definitely make a convincing argument for Tool on the Archives. I'd also argue that Aenima is very definitely metallic although I'm not sure I'd unequivocally call it a metal album. I think if you swapped out the 3 lightest tracks on Undertow for the 3 heaviest tracks on Aenima you've got yourself a metal record for sure.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
On the other end of the spectrum, Alice in Chains was never a metal band. They have undeniably metal songs like Dam That River, A Looking In View, and Them Bones (by a stretch), but all their albums drift too far into alt-rock chord strumming on the choruses, throughout the song, or acoustic balladry for any of their albums to be metal by any stretch of the imagination. They have metal influences, but they're not a metal band.

On this count, I couldn't disagree anymore. I don't think acoustic balladry here and there necessarily precludes an album being metal (since there are sooo many metal bands that include an acoustic song here and there on their albums) and I think that regardless of choruses AiC's riffs have always been pretty squarely in the metal realm. Out of interest, have you heard The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here? I don't think I'd categorise that record as anything other than metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:29 pm 

Purpendicular is the best Deep Purple album. Not to take away from amazing stuff like Machine Head or Perfect Strangers, but Purpendicular just gets everything so right and has the most amazing songs. Particularly "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming." Stunning.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:57 pm 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
Out of interest, have you heard The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here? I don't think I'd categorise that record as anything other than metal.

I have indeed. If all the songs were like Stone, it'd be a metal record. As it is, it also tends to wander into alt-rock territory a lot, like every other AIC album. And yeah, a lot of metal bands have clean interludes or "soft" songs, but they're otherwise balanced out with purely metal material. The songs on AIC albums that aren't ballads are borderline metal, metal, or not metal at all. There's no consistency. Much of their music is a lot closer to the chord-based non-metallic strumming that was typical of alternative bands of the time, with some occasional metal moments and influence.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:53 am 

People will frequently post here deliberately wild opinions that aren't even necessarily theirs just to elicit attention. Take this thread with a grain of salt and a bottle of whatever alcoholic substance you prefer. It might ease the blow from some guy parroting "St.Anger Good, Actually" for the 3653th time.

Longer is not better; in fact, it is generally worse. It's much more difficult to keep the listener's attention for a longer time span, and I'm the kind of person who prefers listening to albums front to back. Examples include Metallica (everything past MoP), Iron Maiden (AMOLAD and on), Dream Theater (everything past the first two, probably), and, in thrash, the many smaller bands who probably heard AJFA and suddenly decided "Hey guys, I can do an album of all 6+ minute songs too! Am I cool yet?" like Onslaught, Sabbat, Anthrax, bunch of others). If you think 65-90 minutes of music I won't even remember in a few days is okay, I reserve the right not to give a shit about the results. And don't even start with all the groove/mallcore shit in the 90's (no, I don't need fifteen entire exhibitions of jumpdafuckup to suffer through when I want good music. Six or seven is quite enough to get me craving)

I assume power and doom metal would be better suited for such a format, as would anything more focused on atmosphere, but I've not heard nearly enough of them to make a distinction there.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:52 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Longer is not better; in fact, it is generally worse. It's much more difficult to keep the listener's attention for a longer time span, and I'm the kind of person who prefers listening to albums front to back. Examples include Metallica (everything past MoP), Iron Maiden (AMOLAD and on), Dream Theater (everything past the first two, probably), and, in thrash, the many smaller bands who probably heard AJFA and suddenly decided "Hey guys, I can do an album of all 6+ minute songs too! Am I cool yet?" like Onslaught, Sabbat, Anthrax, bunch of others).

I certainly agree with you about longer albums. I find that there are too many bands trying 60 minutes plus albums when it should be around the 40 minute length. I actually find some IM albums a bit of a slog to sit through, actually.

I disagree with you about you comment on 'St. Anger' though. Personally, I think it is a terrible album but some people do legitimately like that album. It has a number of positive reviews on this site, although the cumulative score is quite low.

The same could be said for Morbid Angel's 'Ilud Divinum Insanus'. It has a number of positive reviews on this site, although I think it is an absolute stinker. These are legitimately held opinions by some people.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:20 am 

Ripper Owens should have stayed in Priest. I know Halford basically IS Priest, but having a much younger guy on vocals gave them much more power and energy.

WASP's 'Dying for the world' is by far their best album, superior to the S/T and 'The crimson idol'.

'Symbolic' and Morbus Chron's 'Sweven' are far too soft to be considered death metal.

'Executioner's tax' is the only interesting Power Trip song; Enforced do it 100 times better.

Last edited by Lagartija on Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:49 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
I can't stand black metal. Really, i've tried, but i don't get the appeal of it?.

What BM have you tried listening to though? Because it's an incredibly varied subgenre and you can pretty much find every other subgenre within a black metal framework, which is what makes it fascinating for me.

Having said that, I agree with some of the posts re. Summoning. Whaaaa...?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:47 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Nuit Noire is amazing and people are just afraid of themselves. It takes bravery to write lyrics like Scrapheap! on a black metal album :lol:

We played with that guy in Tolouse! Definitely an acquired taste, but total respect to him for getting onstage and doing all that himself.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:26 am 

Bushido wrote:

On the contrary. Moshpits are not metal as they are inherited from hardcore punk, and therefore this is not really even an opinion but a fact. Headbanging is the correct manner of conduct at metal gigs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 221  Next