Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:10 pm 

There are thousands of prog/power/symphonic bands to dig through and I really don’t have that kind of time. Obviously not expecting Russell Allen level vocals but decent vocals would be nice.

Thank you!!

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:40 pm 

It’s hard to think of bands that are very similar to X, but there are a few which seem to complement them somewhat:

- Communic
- Anubis Gate
- Susprye
- Manticora
- Wuthering Heights

All are prog metal with strong, outstanding vocals, top shelf musicianship, and great songwriting.f

Last edited by Benedict Donald on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:58 pm 

I’d like to add Pagans Mind to the list. Phenomenal band.

I’d also say that Jorn Lande has sung on three of the all time greatest prog metal albums:

Ark - Burn the Sun
Mundanus Imperium - Spectral Spheres Coronation
Beyond Twilight - Devils Hall of Fame

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:25 pm 

They sound like there should be a lot of bands that sound like them, but for some reason there really aren't. The closest ones I can think of are Adagio, Myrath (on Hope), Ring of Fire, Anthriel, Space Odyssey, Artension, and At Vance. If you have time, some others that touch on various aspects of their sound would include Alquimia, Andromeda, Angra, Circus Maximus, Conception, Control Denied, DGM, Eternity's End, Evergrey, Galneryus, Bob Katsionis, Vitalij Kuprij, Labyrinth, Masterplan, Outworld, Prospekt, Pyramaze, Redemption, Royal Hunt, Seventh Wonder, Shadow Gallery, Vanden Plas, Vision Divine, and Witherfall.

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 am 

The first two Adagio albums are the closest thing I've heard to it. And Delta is amazing, particularly Crashbreaker (more straightforward) and The End of Philosophy (more epic and proggy).

Galneryus is a different thing but absolutely a must if you haven't tried them. Destinia too, while you're at it.

Let's see, what else is really right in that vein (splitting hairs here because I'm very familiar with the genre)...the first two Signum Regis albums (maybe the others too, but that's what I'm familiar with). Seventh Wonder is more straightened-out but retains the vocal splendor while being intricate. Try Level 10's album if you haven't, since that's Russell Allen again singing pretty good power metal material. Solid Vision's album Sacrifice is a bit more Dream Theater-influenced, but has that more song-oriented proggy aspect that SX has.

A lot of the other power metal bands that LithoJazzoSphere mentioned above are also great. The first four At Vance albums in particular are a huge fave of mine, with even better vox than Allen if you can imagine that. I'd throw Firewind (especially Immortals), Axxis' Paradise in Flames-Kingdom of the Night II era, Stamina, Sound Storm, Ark Storm, Almanac, Crimsonfire (note: not Crimson Fire), Dionysus, Excalion, Primal Fear, and Silent Force on there, if you're just checking out cool power metal that touches on the SX sound in some way (usually with high-quality vox, in these cases).

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:05 am 

Awesome, thanks! I am familiar with Level 10 and Lande (because of Russ). I will check out some reviews of the above-mentioned bands and go from there. Appreciate the feedback.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:04 am 

I love prog metal and power/prog, but I never got Symphony X. To me it's just bloated in the worst way possible. Just a number disjointed parts with extra everything. If some competent musicians were to make a prog parody, this would be it.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:02 pm 

Opus wrote:
I love prog metal and power/prog, but I never got Symphony X. To me it's just bloated in the worst way possible. Just a number disjointed parts with extra everything. If some competent musicians were to make a prog parody, this would be it.

This probably belongs in the controversial opinions thread. Are you sure you don’t mean Dream Theater, who I’m a fan of but they’re way more disjointed.

Oh and thanks for the recommendations.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:01 pm 

- Seventh Wonder. Very melodic and vibrant power prog - Tommy's voice without a doubt gets more of a workout with this band than with Kamelot.
- Myrath. Power prog with an eastern flair, definitely a favorite of mine. "Legacy" is a top notch record imo, though you may prefer the more blatantly prog "Tales From the Sands" ("Legacy" definitely leans more into their power metal influences).

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:18 am 

Artension and some Angra albums like Temple of Shadows... I'd also like to note that people hear diff things in bands, and Symphony X is one of them... not sure if you mean impossible guitars, vocal aerobatics or cheesy lyrics :D

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:49 am 

The neoclassical influences are a huge part as well to me, they revel in them more than the average prog/power band does.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 am 

The very first Myrath album "Hope" sounds like Symphony X worship.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:24 pm 

Will second the first two Adagio albums. ^^

Also, this is probably better for the Rec forum, so, moved.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:11 am 

Virtuocity strikes me as being pretty similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptbiqkx4h8

Reply to topic