Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:46 pm 

In my family, it's just me. They've occasionally inquired about a Mayhem shirt I'm wearing or whatever, and I once had my mom read the lyrics along to 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner' (which she did think was a pretty cool song), but really, the sounds and atmosphere- especially of extreme metal- are just very alien and jarring to them.

The "somewhat" exception would be my younger brother who was into some hard rock like Nirvana, GnR, etc. back in the day, but I'd say the most "extreme" he ever got was maybe one or two Metallica songs, and he never purchased their albums or anything.

And my Dad is a huge music fan, but I'd say the Beatles (and none of their heavier or experimental work) and Billy Joel is about the "heaviest" music he ever got into.

So that's the question. I know for some it was actually their brother or their Dad or Uncle who turned them on to metal, but that seems less common then discovering it through other means.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm 

Pretty much. I have a few cousins who are/were somewhat into it. One was a big thrash fan and guitarist, but gave up on music a couple decades ago when he got married. Another listened to a bit of metalcore/deathcore, but was mostly into pop punk and emo. Another cousin listened to some nu/alternative metal like Slipknot and such.

EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:55 pm 

Just my brother, cause he has to listen to this shit every time he's in the car with me. So he's used to it now, and even enjoys a lot of the bands.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:24 pm 

My dad grew up with The Beatles then Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, so there's that. In term of actual metal, it does not go much farther than Load/Reload Metallica and a few early Black Sabbath songs. IF not, my sister who is 3 years younger grew up with Marilyn Manson, like me, then stuff like Korn and the likes. She likes Amon Amarth, and various melodeath/viking/pagan stuff now, among other stuff.
Fire walk with me"

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 pm 

My brother likes 90s death metal (like Incantation and Cannibal Corpse) and modern day proggy sludgy stuff (like Mastodon and Gojira). Oddly, I discovered metal completely independently from him, and through power metal.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
My brother likes 90s death metal (like Incantation and Cannibal Corpse) and modern day proggy sludgy stuff (like Mastodon and Gojira). Oddly, I discovered metal completely independently from him, and through power metal.

My wife used to exclusively like 80s hair metal but over the last 15 years I’ve gotten her into Priest, Metallica, DT and Symphony X so that makes for better car rides.

kazhard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:21 pm 

Yes. I have a cousin who likes metal but as far as I know he is mostly into Swedish melodeath. I live in a small town (with a population of around 30 000) and he is the only metalhead I know around.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:35 pm 

Alas, None but me. The wife doesn’t even like ANY rock, of any kind. My oldest daughters are teens who mostly share the wife’s views. But I’m holding out for my six year old — hoping she’ll take the baton!

With this said, I torture them all in the car - they’ve been subjected to hundreds of hard rock and metal bands! (I avoid playing death/ black in their presence. The typically laugh when they hear growls which doesn’t help my mission.)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:01 pm 

My dad doesn't like it, but he gets it. He listens to old rock and roll and probably wouldn't go further than bands like Dire Straits and Twisted Sister (maybe). Now that he's in his mid-60's maybe not even that. He has once said he enjoys the music but can't get into the vocals, which I understand. My girlfriend can't do death metal as it makes her anxious. However she doesn't mind some funeral doom or Thy Catafalque, and sometimes requests something like that. She doesn't mind the vocals when growled but if the music gets too fast she will dislike it. That's about as far as it gets with her.

My mother and brother? Forget it. They don't understand it and don't care.

Benedict Donald wrote:
With this said, I torture them all in the car - they’ve been subjected to hundreds of hard rock and metal bands! (I avoid playing death/ black in their presence. The typically laugh when they hear growls which doesn’t help my mission.)

I can imagine they would laugh, and if I wasn't into it, I would, too. :) I generally turn off music in the car because I know any passengers won't like it and it's not worth it.
Your shit is too underground for me. Most only have a few thousand Spotify listers. One of them only had 72 listeners lol. If a band doesn’t have at least 100,000 listeners them I’m probably not interested.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:12 pm 

Nope, only me. I have a distant cousin who's into nu metal but I've disowned him because of that.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:24 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:
Nope, only me. I have a distant cousin who's into nu metal but I've disowned him because of that.

Hahaha!!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:

Talk about being brutal! :eek:

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:40 am 

My older brother to an extent, however he doesn't listen to any Extreme Metal (unlike me), except maybe a few Watain/Dissection songs.
Phobia!

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:13 am 

My late mother, bless her, used to love it when I'd play Manowar, Helloween or Maiden cassettes in the car.

Common theme: She loved the respective singers' voices (so Adams, Kiske and Dickinson), as she seemed to really appreciate good vocals. A Tale That Wasn't Right was legitimately one of her favourite tunes, man she loved that track.

But without me in the car, she would revert to Abba, Nana Mouskouri and the fucking Everly Brothers.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:00 am 

Well, my dad's two favorite bands growing up were Sabbath and Purple, so there's that. Nowadays, though, he's mostly into blues rock. Still, he's probably the most adventurous of my family. My brother is pretty much into skate punk and melodic hardcore when he listens to anything at all. I've got an aunt who will dabble in Maiden and some of the lighter stuff from the 80s.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:51 am 

I'm the only one who's really into it, but one of my cousins is a rocker that also listens to the big classics (Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, etc.) and my dad's actually the one who turned me onto Motörhead and the Plasmatics when I was in middle school.

I'm gonna walk that back a little, because my nephew loves anything with a bit of intricacy in the songwriting or riffing. He's on the spectrum, and surprised me when he was about 14 or 15 by cranking Gorerotted when he was doing some homework one day. Last I knew, he was big into symphonic metal (back when Nightwish were the band du jour), and his dad (my sister's ex) is an old school 'head that loves Pantera, Grim Reaper, and 80s thrash (and is the guy who taught me how to play guitar).

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Denial of Life
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 am 

My dad was actually the person who really introduced me to metal. Always cool to talk music with him, he likes a lot of death metal. Guy used to work out to Bolt Thrower and Slaughter (the one from Canada), stuff like that. Don’t think he got super into black metal but he was listening to some of the bands from Norway in the 90s too.

The rest of the family isn’t as into it. My mom enjoys some trad metal stuff and will put on a Metallica song from time to time but that’s about it. My sister is a little into heavier stuff but she doesn’t listen to metal too often.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:56 am 

I was raised by different relatives, but even still, my mom is HUGE into Slayer, M.O.D., Megadeth, Alice in Chains, Ozzy, Tesla, Soundgarden, King Diamond, Pantera, and others. The interesting thing though, is my love of metal was not at all influenced by her because, as I said, I wasn't raised by her and knew very little of her tastes until after I got into it. Must be genetic.

She doesn't understand my passion for death and black metal, though. She prefers thrash, traditional heavy metal, hair metal, and a wee bit of crossover.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:40 am 

My mother grew up in a musical household and listened to quite a bit when she was young. The furthest she went was probably Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (but at that time metal hadn't really been fleshed out). She can appreciate metal today if she hears it (and if there are clean vocals) but she's not a fan enough to choose to listen to it herself.

My brother loves metal. He and me have different tastes within the genre (with some overlap of course) but he's been into it since his teens.

My sister likes music but not so much metal.

My father doesn't get music really. He can appreciate stuff but usually in the background. He doesn't really listen to music.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Tulcakelume
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:40 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
My dad grew up with [...] Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple

Pretty much my dad as well, he was into progressive rock and hard rock in the 70's and 80's, and recognizes the heaviness and impact of Black Sabbath despite not listening to them much. Some years ago he discovered Dream Theater and enjoyed them. The furthest he got into metal was with some Amon Amarth songs when he borrowed my mp3 player years ago.
When I show him some heavier bands (or even plain traditional heavy or power metal bands) he always finds comparisons to Deep Purple or Black Sabbath.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:36 pm 

I'm definitely the only one who likes a wide range of metal. I have a few family members who like or at least appreciate a few select styles or bands, like my older brother who likes experimental stuff like Oranssi Pazuzu and also actively listens to bands like Inter Arma and The Body. The ones who are into music at all are mostly into indie or classic rock.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:46 pm 

my mum was young in the 70s and heard hard rock through her friends but wasnt allowed to listen to any of it at home.
I don't remember what she though when I first got into metal in the 2000s but every time I visit and play music and she likes it she will comment on it. Her only limit is harsh vocals but she does really enjoy it if i play Danzig, Motörhead and once I even played Blood Revolt and she liked it because you know even though its war metal it doesn't have any harsh vocals. She does not like a lot of the other things I'm into. She doesn't like punk, superlong winded psy rock or the weird electronica i listen to.

My dad likes some old hard rock / metal songs from the 70s but rather listens to Taylor Swift.

My sisters like maybe a tiny slice of metalesque stuff occasionally but p much never actually listen to it.

My brother listens to metal on occasion but its not even close to his main thing. He used to play in a heavy/power metal band in his HS years because he is a drummer and his best friend wanted to play Maidenesque metal. Later on he played in a grunge band before the rest of the band all turned into literal nazis.

I have a 15 year old cousin who got into metal a couple years ago and I show him stuff when we meet irl but don't communicate with him regularly. He recently got into Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse etc.

I have an older cousin who was super into metal in the 90s and still likes it but its not really his thing anymore. I remember seeing his tape collection with loads of thrash metal especially. He did make music his profession as he is prob the most musical person i've ever met. Mostly teaches but also produces sometimes and plays in bands.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:06 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
My older brother to an extent, however he doesn't listen to any Extreme Metal (unlike me), except maybe a few Watain/Dissection songs.

This is pretty funny to me. "Doesn't listen to any extreme metal... EXCEPT some Watain/Dissecton songs."

That's kind of like saying of someone, "They don't do any drugs. EXCEPT heroin occasionally." :lol:

EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

This is pretty funny to me. "Doesn't listen to any extreme metal... EXCEPT some Watain/Dissecton songs."

That's kind of like saying of someone, "They don't do any drugs. EXCEPT heroin occasionally." :lol:

I have a friend who doesn't seem to enjoy metal, except for Anaal Nathrakh. Not even kidding, I made her listen to an album and she said "I like the drums".

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:12 pm 

gabber wrote:
My late mother, bless her, used to love it when I'd play Manowar, Helloween or Maiden cassettes in the car.

Common theme: She loved the respective singers' voices (so Adams, Kiske and Dickinson), as she seemed to really appreciate good vocals. A Tale That Wasn't Right was legitimately one of her favourite tunes, man she loved that track.

But without me in the car, she would revert to Abba, Nana Mouskouri and the fucking Everly Brothers.

She sounds like a really cool mom, especially since it obviously wasn't her preferred thing. Abba and the Everly Brothers are about as far from metal as you can get, but she didn't complain and learned to appreciate it probably because she could see how much you loved it and enjoyed making you happy.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:25 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

I have a friend who doesn't seem to enjoy metal, except for Anaal Nathrakh. Not even kidding, I made her listen to an album and she said "I like the drums".

I love when someone's open enough to try and find something they can appreciate even though it's definitely not their thing.

I worked a 2 or 3 day job with this guy who was a drummer in a rock band. I had 'Left Hand Path' (Entombed) & 'Demigod' (Behemoth) in heavy rotation, and whenever he passed by he would just stop and listen and go, "Man, what that drummer's doing is phenomenal... (dope, incredible, etc)." It opened up a whole new world to him. At the end of the job he wrote down the names of the bands because he didn't want to forget and wanted to share them with his buddies.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:52 pm 

My cousin is a metalhead. Not as into it as me, but he's into it, and back in the day we used to go to Gwar shows who we both love, went to Ozzfest 96 (I THINK it was 96, it was either 96, 97 or 98...might have been 98...)

My brother I wouldn't consider passionate enough to really be a metal head, nor do I think he'd use that term for himself either, but he's a huge fan of bands like Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, Dio, Rush, etc, also likes Black Sabbath and some newer Amorphis and he's a big fan of power metal like Blind Guardian, Running Wild and Queensryche. Not the sort to really be into extreme metal, black or death, but Ive gotten him to appreciate a lot more than he used to.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:28 pm 

My dad really liked Scorpions, Metallica, and Stryper growing up. Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and Iron Maiden were all at least on his radar to some degree but I don't know that was a fan of them per se. He doesn't really listen to any of those bands at all now though.

I am definitely the only one that listens to any metal beyond the surface.

I was playing some Sympuls-e out loud and my mom called it throwup music so there's that too.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:57 pm 

As a teenager, I first got into metal on my own and through high school friends. My first metal bands or bands that got me into heavier stuff were Kalmah, Edguy, In Flames, Children of Bodom, and Megadeth, but Iron Maiden and Slipknot were probably the most important at the time. But my brother was also into thrash and heavy metal for a while. I don't know if he really cares for it all that much anymore, but he had Metallica, Megadeth, Kreator and Overkill albums, and he's responsible for getting me more into thrash metal, as I was more into melodic death, nwobhm, power metal and nu-metal at the time.

My parents love music, especially jazz, and there were very much into classical when I was a kid. As I became more and more interested in progressive rock, I sparked some nostlagia into them, and we spent a lot of time listening to Pink Floyd, Yes and King Crimson together, especially when I was working on my Master's degree, and since I was also going through a big break-up then, these were very lonely times for me. I'm very fond of these moments I spent with them. I would sometime share some more progressive metal stuff with them, like Cynic or Dream Theater, and although they appreciated the experience, they never got into it really.

I still sometimes share music with them, like Black Sabbath or some stoner doom stuff like Sleep. I always try to ease them in with stuff that references music they love. With doom metal it's the more bluesy elements, as they also like B.B. King, Eric Clapton and whatnot.

I never felt too alien in my familly with my tastes for metal music, because my familly was also very welcoming. Among my cousins it's also very nice, because they respect me as a person, and most of them are also musicians or musically inclined, so even if they aren't metal fans, they respect the music and my opinions. I've struggled a little bit more with some of my uncles who have very stubborn boomer views of what metal is, but I don't really care too much. As a teenager it bothered me more, but nowadays I really can't shake two shits what my uncles think about my music tastes, haha!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:13 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

Eh, as far as extreme metal goes Dissection and Watain are fairly accessible. Now if they said extreme metal was too much for them, but they did like Deathspell Omega and Gorguts, well....that'd be strange.

AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 pm 

My dad was Seth Putnam.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:36 pm 

My sister isn't a metal fan, or that much of an active music listener, but she's the closest to one I can think of. Her favorite bands are Amorphis, Dark Tranquillity, Type O Negative, Delain, and Devin Townsend. Most of this was me exposing her to stuff I listened to and over the years she gradually got used to the structure, the harshness, the flow, and the feel of what metal was. She's otherwise more giddy talking about Birthday Massacre or non-metal / rock. She's never been to shows, never worn any shirts, and doesn't show any real interest in metal aside from this.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:41 pm 

Shame, that's a killer set of starting bands.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:01 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I've struggled a little bit more with some of my uncles who have very stubborn boomer views of what metal is, but I don't really care too much. As a teenager it bothered me more, but nowadays I really can't shake two shits what my uncles think about my music tastes, haha!

Your entire post is interesting, but this in particular caught my eye. What were their "boomer views" on metal, as far as you can tell? I have some ideas, but curious what your take is on their perception. Like can you pinpoint it, were they specific in their criticism or was it just a broader ignorance like, "it's just noise" or "shit" or "satan's music" or what?

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:18 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

Eh, as far as extreme metal goes Dissection and Watain are fairly accessible. Now if they said extreme metal was too much for them, but they did like Deathspell Omega and Gorguts, well....that'd be strange.

True, and I guess he said his brother was already into "regular" metal to an extent, so I'm guessing that's Metallica and Maiden or bands along those lines, so I agree, it isn't that much further to Watain or Dissection. I think maybe when I first read it I overlooked the first part that he was already half way there. So it's more like, "They only drink and smoke pot. And sometimes hashish."

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:21 pm 

Some 20 years ago I managed "to convert" a cousin of mine, who was in his teens. Now, although a family guy, he still asks me about the new bands and manage to listen from time to time. Mostly black and death metal and plenty of Meshuggah.

21stCenturySkippyMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 am 

Not really. The closest would be my Dad who likes Deep Purple (who are borderline at most), Black Sabbath and (Black Album) Metallica.

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:55 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
True, and I guess he said his brother was already into "regular" metal to an extent, so I'm guessing that's Metallica and Maiden or bands along those lines, so I agree, it isn't that much further to Watain or Dissection. I think maybe when I first read it I overlooked the first part that he was already half way there. So it's more like, "They only drink and smoke pot. And sometimes hashish."

Correct, he listened a lot to Pantera, Metallica, Slayer (and occasional Arch Enemy, and Cannibal Corpse) etc years ago (dunno how much it is now, however). I think he's more into stuff with melodies, so he can stand Dissection for example, but he wouldn't be able to stand Marduk.

I think nowadays he listens to a lot of varied stuff, and maybe not super much metal like 10 years ago. :D
Phobia!

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:32 am 

I never understood this victim complex that metal fans have with others not getting it, or that it's somehow a more sophisticated art form than any other genre like pop or hip hop

The average person "gets" metal. They might prefer other things, but the language of understanding the meta of a genre should not be applied simply because people like different things. It comes off as cringy to the highest caliber

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:29 am 

Just my sister likes metal, including extreme metal - which she got into more quickly than me despite being younger. Then it probably took the course of 6 years for my taste to grow to the point that I liked extreme metal more than her. Meanwhile her taste broadened in other directions, but there'll still be some she likes way more than me, such as Meshuggah, or folky bands if she finds time to check them out.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next