Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 am 

21stCenturySkippyMan wrote:
Slaughter Lord. An Australian black/thrash band that released some killer demos from 86-87 with great riffs and repeated usage of blast beats and then disbanded some time in the latter year.

Most of the members went into other Australian bands, notably Naxzul and Mortal Sin. Steve Hughes, as someone else said, is still around doing his comedy.

MRmehman wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
Witchfinder General. They had those three awesome releases in the 80s, and then dropped off the face of the planet for 20 years. Came back with a blues singer that nobody liked and disappeared again.

That third album they dropped in the 2000's has to be the biggest waste of potential ever. Imagine if they came back with an actual singer and producer; I'm sure they could have had a comback as successful as Accept's. Guess no one wants to "lick your food" anymore when you're that old.

Couldn't agree more.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:19 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

they played some shows in europe 2 years ago or so

I wasn't aware of this! If i understood correctly they just randomly popped up in a festival in Tilburg and played seldomly in Japan, it's pretty weird.

its a pretty noteworthy festival in a country with a lot of connections and importance for dm

oxwah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 am 

Desultor. One album (personally, my #1 from 2012) and gone without a trace. They were everything I wanted Nevermore to be.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:58 am 

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
Holy Terror. Terror And Submission and Mind Wars are absolute gems.

Very true.
There were plans to move to Seattle after Mind Wars. Keith (R.I.P.) and Mike didn't go (as I recall). So Kurt, Joe, and Floyd continued on for a bit but then changed the name to Shark Chum and started playing punk rock. Not sure of the timeline after that. Also unsure of the events around that new line-up in 2005/6 or thereabouts.

A killer band. I sometimes think it's a shame that we didn't get more from them, but I also sometimes think that's maybe it's best that the two two albums we did get stood as they were.

Nokturniis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:08 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
This is the annual thread where I come to bemoan the lack of news from Dolorian, right? :(
Though if Virgin Black came out with Pianissimo after 10 years of radio silence, I guess one can hope.

MRmehman wrote:
Italy's Nazgul dropped their only album in 2002, then vanished for nearly two decades. They teased a comeback a year or two ago but I don't think anything has materialised since. It's a shame too because they had a pretty cool gimick (all their lyrics were in Latin) on top of producing really good music

If I'm not mistaken, I recall them mentioning their second album as almost done as early as 2007 or so one time I sent them a message on MSN.

There many bands from the folk metal era like Rivendell or Falkenbach that simply stopped to put out albums without notice too.

Nazgul just re-released their first demo in remastered quality with an additional unreleased bonus track added to it. Vinyl copies will be coming later on: https://nazgulita.bandcamp.com/album/omne-est-paratum

1. Elysian Blaze
2. Nortt
3. Black Magick SS
4. The Ruins Of Beverast
5. Urfaust

Nokturniis (Pure Ghastly Haunting Eerie Dungeon Synth) - https://nokturniis.bandcamp.com/

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:37 am 

oxwah wrote:
Desultor. One album (personally, my #1 from 2012) and gone without a trace. They were everything I wanted Nevermore to be.

If nothing else, they proved the utility of that more extreme power metal thing Satan's Host did the year prior.

I miss Desultor.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:47 pm 

asphaalanx wrote:
then changed the name to Shark Chum

:lol: :lol:

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 pm 

German funeral doom band Worship come to mind. After releasing albums in 2007 and 2012 and their well know 'Last Tape Before Doomsday' demo from 1999 they announced a new album in 2015 with an album title, song titles and cover art. They were even accepting pre-orders for the new album at this time but then it came to light that the album wasn't actually finished! Their Facebook had updates from Daniel Varoß, a.k.a. "The Doommonger", from late 2015 to early 2018 on the album's progress and general news about the band but there are no updates after 2018. The album still hasn't been released, the band hasn't played a live show since 2018 and apparently people who pre-ordered the album and have requested refundes never got their money back.

According to MA the band is still active but it seems to me that they most likely aren't anymore.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
oxwah wrote:

If nothing else, they proved the utility of that more extreme power metal thing Satan's Host did the year prior.

I miss Desultor.

Me too. For the longest time that was an ongoing thought experiment, "what if a band had death metal instrumentation but power metal vocals", they're the closest anyone's gotten to pulling it off, and it's great. I like Nevermore much better, but they mostly have different goals. Is By the Hands of the Devil substantially different than Celebration? I've heard the latter, but it seemed a rather different vibe from either Desultor or Nevermore.

Bushido
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:43 pm 

Thorns, Gehenna, Dodheimsgard

AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm 

Pist.on.

They had promise. Like Type O lite. Shame.

101wildturkey101
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:52 am 

A little bit bigger than some of the other bands mentioned here, but Nails. They seemed to be on a sharp upward trajectory after Abandon All Life and YWKBOOU, but that was nearly 6 years ago now. Last I heard was that the band quit on Todd.

Speaking of another similar situation, I think about The Faceless often for similar reasons. So much talent, so much potential, but the last news of the band was everyone but Keene quitting. It has also been 13 years now since they moved the needle at all with Planetary Duality

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:57 am 

Bushido wrote:
Thorns, Gehenna, Dodheimsgard

Thorns is still around doing interviews, etc. He's just too lazy to release anything.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:03 am 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Pist.on.

They had promise. Like Type O lite. Shame.

They reunited a few years ago with a new bass player. They're going to record a new album at some point. They had plans to record it in 2020 but that got derailed due to Covid. We might see it come out in 2022 if I had to guess.

Sunbuilder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:19 pm 

I have brought him ("Woods") up before on these forums, but I will mention the Japanese metal solo project Gnome from the mid 90s to early 2000s that just made a handful of awesome tracks on some demos and a split before disappearing. It was never officially clear why, but according to random stuff I saw online, including a forum about him, some have said he stopped music most likely due to lack of interest. I will of course have to include to mention the Japanese band Misogi that disappeared after making their debut a long time ago.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:27 pm 

Bushido wrote:
Dodheimsgard

DHG are still around and have been playing shows regularly. They certainly did not disappear without a trace.

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 am 

Two projects from Jake, the lead singer of Visigoth: Gallowbraid, with only an EP released he made the best tribute to Agalloch ever existed. Now that Agalloch are disbanded, it would be a shame if Jake don't put out at least a full lenght. Sadly, there have been no activity by the band since Ashen Eidolon was released in 2010 (only a reissue and some merch but no new music). The other one is Caladan Brood, their only first full lenght, Echoes Of Battle, is an amazing atmospheric black metal album very much in the vein of Summoning, but no new music has been published since 2013.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:58 am 

Katharsis. Other than some personal stuff about Drakh's life they disbanded quietly after recording their best two albums.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:39 pm 

Dreams of Sanity. Brilliant sympho/prog with unconventional female vocals. Next year it will be twenty years since they split. Their first two albums had iffy production, but The Game was just about perfect in every aspect.

https://youtu.be/AFg0QE_tVB8

Moreover, they were signed to Tilo Wolff's Hall of Sermon... which means no official streaming these days, nothing.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:25 pm 

abyss696 wrote:
Two projects from Jake, the lead singer of Visigoth: Gallowbraid, with only an EP released he made the best tribute to Agalloch ever existed. Now that Agalloch are disbanded, it would be a shame if Jake don't put out at least a full lenght. Sadly, there have been no activity by the band since Ashen Eidolon was released in 2010 (only a reissue and some merch but no new music). The other one is Caladan Brood, their only first full lenght, Echoes Of Battle, is an amazing atmospheric black metal album very much in the vein of Summoning, but no new music has been published since 2013.

Everything Jake touches is gold. It's a huge shame he's not more prolific.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:55 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
abyss696 wrote:

Everything Jake touches is gold. It's a huge shame he's not more prolific.

True though he does guest vocals fairly often. Most notably on Stormkeep's album from this year and Obsequiae's 2019 album.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 pm 

Ancient Drive of course.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:46 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Bushido wrote:
Dodheimsgard

DHG are still around and have been playing shows regularly. They certainly did not disappear without a trace.

They've been on the "one album per decade" schedule for the past two decades

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 am 

abyss696 wrote:
Caladan Brood ... no new music has been published since 2013.

Not strictly true. They contributed a cover of "Farewell" to a Summoning tribute compilation released by Wolfspell Records in 2016.

Anyways, I'd be more hyped for the next Summoning album.

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:16 am 

Morgana Lefay seems to be MIA. I was really hoping they'd start putting out new music after they announced their return.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:43 am 

Speed Metal Terror wrote:
Morgana Lefay seems to be MIA. I was really hoping they'd start putting out new music after they announced their return.

Last thing I heard they went on another "break" (and possibly forever added at that). Charles even recorded 2 songs Tony had written for a new album and released them under this moniker = https://ourdarkdomains.bandcamp.com/

Doesn't look good for the future of this band unfortunatly...
Old-school black/thrash

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:16 pm 

Anyone have any ideas what happened with Lazarus A.D. ? Randomly pulled out their first CD from my CD shelf and I can't help but wonder what heppened to these guys. Release two excellent thrash albums and then disappear.
Been 10 years now

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:37 pm 

akb88 wrote:
Anyone have any ideas what happened with Lazarus A.D. ? Randomly pulled out their first CD from my CD shelf and I can't help but wonder what heppened to these guys. Release two excellent thrash albums and then disappear.
Been 10 years now

Screwed by Metal Blade, went on semi-hiatus, and then Ryan Shutler died and they decided to not continue without him.

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:42 pm 

Ah damn. Their status is listed though as "Unknown" on the Archives, sounds like it should be safe to change that to Split up.
But whats the story with Metal Blade?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:16 pm 

I had no idea about Lazarus AD. They were a favorite of the re-thrash scene for me, just a ton of chunky and slamming riffs with enough groove to keep it together.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:30 pm 

Damn. Looks like someone beat me to it when it came to Lazarus A.D. They were actual one of the 2 bands that got me interested in the newer thrash bands. On that thrash note, I will say that Mutant (UK thrash) had a very good EP titled Laserdrome. Awesome riffs and vocals yet they went away.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:05 am 

To the best of my knowledge, it was the usual "shitty deal + kept going further and further into debt with the label" issues. Their first album had its moments for sure and they could have grown, but then they went way too far down the LOG/Machine Head hole for my liking on their second album.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:49 am 

Well, not completely metal, but does anyone have any info on the current status of Fields Of The Nephilim?!

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:42 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Well, not completely metal, but does anyone have any info on the current status of Fields Of The Nephilim?!

They're still active as far as touring is concerned (well, as much as any band is active these days with the pandemic). As far as new music, who knows? They haven't released anything new since those two singles that came out in 2014. Carl McCoy is a notorious perfectionist, so I wouldn't be surprised if they've recorded a bunch of material but haven't seen fit to release it because it doesn't meet their standards or something to that effect.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:42 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Demon Fang wrote:
oxwah wrote:

I miss Desultor.

Me too. For the longest time that was an ongoing thought experiment, "what if a band had death metal instrumentation but power metal vocals", they're the closest anyone's gotten to pulling it off, and it's great. I like Nevermore much better, but they mostly have different goals. Is By the Hands of the Devil substantially different than Celebration? I've heard the latter, but it seemed a rather different vibe from either Desultor or Nevermore.

I just listened to Desultor for the first time. As you said, it is the closest you will get to DM with PM vocals. I like it a lot. The vocals are a little bit low in the mix, I think, thus highlighting the instrumentation. With a vocalist like RJD, they might have got to the next level musically. The present vocalist's higher notes work well, but his lower notes get lost in the mix a bit - I like it though - interesting is an understatement.

~Guest 1423526
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:18 pm 

Famous band like Vinterland disappear ,now rumors says that new album is coming out but I don’t believe…
Sorhin are too in the fog…
Virvatulet promise an album but 8 years are passed…

Noenum do you folks say something about that band?

DanielG06
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:20 pm 

Carnage from Sweden released a few things and then just disappeared.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:54 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I bring this up often, but Vaivatar from Finland released that one incredible album "Vanitas" in late 2017, and have been MIA ever since. I still revisit that album every autumn. No one even knows who was behind the project.

I reckon I've seen your posts on this before. I was just listening to this album tonight again. Think I downloaded it from bandcamp on a rec from some facebook page, really don't remember - but it's been in heavy rotation for a while now. Really fantastic album. I had no idea there was such mystery behind the artist.

~Guest 1423526
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:33 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
Carnage from Sweden released a few things and then just disappeared.

No they split up..

Some members formed Dismember ,one the Arch Enemy and the other is credited to vocalist of Entombed Clandestine (but isn’t true cause drummer made vocals)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:42 pm 

Gonna bring up the symphonic black metal band Sirius. Both Aeons of Magick and Spectral Transition - Dimension Sirius were fantastic albums, but after that, they disbanded for good, and both albums are in dire need of a repress.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next