Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raumr
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 1974
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:50 am 
 

HeavenDuff wrote:
As for the others, it's not such much that I can't imagine you liking The X Factor, St. Anger or the Seventh Star, but I'm really not fond of the way you phrased some of these. For instance, I can't think of a world where someone would actually think that The X Factor is "better" then Piece of Mind. I don't think you could ever convince me of this, but hey, I wouldn't mind you explaining yourself.


Piece of Mind is a very mixed bag for me, in the sense that while the peaks are high, the valleys are just as low. Revelations, The Trooper and Still Life are immortal classics that are 10/10 easily. The rest? Where Eagles Dare is alright. Flight of Icarus, Die with Your Boots on, Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are really goofy songs to me. I won't skip them when listening to the album, but they have very limited reach outside some really catchy big choruses. They also have a slight desperation about them, as if they're really trying to appeal to a mainstream audience. They're cheesy in the bad sense of the word. And finally there is the disappointing final epic To Tame a Land. Some cool riffing, but it never goes anywhere interesting. Between Hallowed Be Thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, it is quite forgettable, and against the similar song on The X Factor, Sign of the Cross, it also doesn't hold up.

The X Factor on the other hand is a monolith of consistency and presentation. The worst song, and the only one I always skip, is Look for the Truth. Great intro, but once it gets going and Blaze won't stop doing the "oooohhhh" thing, the skip button starts looking tempting. Sign of the Cross is an epic worthy of their 80s material, and it pains me slightly to admit that Bruce sings it a lot better live after their reunion.

The album is known for its darkness, but I think the glimmers of hope spread around are what makes it special to me. These flashes of light often appear as lead guitar melodies, or a turn of phrase in the lyrics. The lyrics deal with war, human darkness, suicide, trauma and religion, but I'm not left with a feeling of hopelessness by listening to it. It's not looking into an abyss, it's about hitting rock bottom and looking up.

Finally some quick words about the other two albums. I don't "like" St. Anger really, I mentioned that the songs are too long, and I can't overstate how infuriating that is. Songs like this have no business being 8 minutes long. They needed to be 2-3 minute thrashings. Bathory understood this with Octagon, which is a similar junkyard thrash metal record.
And Seventh Star is just wonderful. Not my favourite Black Sabbath album (not even top 5), but a gorgeous soft bluesy rock album.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2167
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:37 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Here's a more serious possibly unpopular opinion. Metal culture celebrates drinking far too much. Some casual drinking is one thing, but the glorification of getting totally wasted and trashed all the time is harmful. Alcoholism is a major issue, as is drunk driving, people who develop issues or even die from liver disease and such.


this is all true of course, but it's also understandable how 'getting wasted' is a more common theme - writing songs about 'getting a little tipsy' just doesn't work quite the same
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2403
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:25 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Here's a more serious possibly unpopular opinion. Metal culture celebrates drinking far too much. Some casual drinking is one thing, but the glorification of getting totally wasted and trashed all the time is harmful. Alcoholism is a major issue, as is drunk driving, people who develop issues or even die from liver disease and such.


It's just me or this attitude is slowly being toned down in the last years, at least in the newer bands of the metal scene?

When i started hanging out with my first metalhead friends and the "party hard" attitude came from older guys (in particular those into "tough, streetwise" bands like Slayer, Pantera, Motorhead...) and from people of my age that were into the blooming folk metal scene. It was quite wild, in particular during live shows.

Now instead i'm coming more and more across people that drink only a little or are even teetotal/straight edge. I don't even see around much more bands that glorify that attitude, weed seems to be way more in vogue right now.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2167
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:35 am 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
It's just me or this attitude is slowly being toned down in the last years, at least in the newer bands of the metal scene?


it's not just you, and it's not just the metal scene - getting wasted is getting less popular, while contemplating fancy craft beers is very much in vogue
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 2011
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:33 am 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Now instead i'm coming more and more across people that drink only a little or are even teetotal/straight edge. I don't even see around much more bands that glorify that attitude, weed seems to be way more in vogue right now.

That's the movement of the culture at large, at least in the west. Cannabis is known to be much less harmful than alcohol, while offering similar positives (in terms of "needing to take the edge off" mindsets).

Thought that I had this morning on the ride to work:
Corrosion of Conformity's early crossover years are hot garbage, but their sludge/southern metal releases have aged like fine wine. This seems to be the general consensus here, according to reviews, but most people I've known IRL feel otherwise.
_________________
Dembo wrote:
It just dawned on me that if there was a Christian equivalent of Cannibal Corpse, they could have the song title I Cum Forgiveness.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 561
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:52 am 
 

"Gangland" is a classic, an absolute gem, and a highlight of TNOTB. It's a perfect bridge between "hills" and "hallowed".

Why it's considered 'filler' by all and sundry has always perplexed me.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30890
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:59 am 
 

Benedict Donald wrote:
"Gangland" is a classic, an absolute gem, and a highlight of TNOTB. It's a perfect bridge between "hills" and "hallowed".

Why it's considered 'filler' by all and sundry has always perplexed me.


The vast majority of the 80s Maiden fillers don't really detract from the albums anyway... I'd agree that NOTB doesn't actually have any fillers and "Gangland" is a cool tune. I just think it's less good than a lot of the others. But that whole album has really grown on me compared to when I was younger.

Same for Piece of Mind, the "fillers" there are worse than some of the highlights like the first few songs, but they're all good.

Powerslave has the widest gulf in quality between songs of any 80s Maiden album but that just goes to show you how good the highlights are.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
jose_G
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Posts: 198
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:24 am 
 

- Saxon is overrated
- Satan is the best Nwobhm band
-Kreator post enemy of god Sucks
- I love Slayer in whole eras

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2157
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:24 am 
 

Smoke on the Water's iconic riff is the least enjoyable part/section of the song.

Top
 Profile  
LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 pm
Posts: 166
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:27 am 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
Now instead i'm coming more and more across people that drink only a little or are even teetotal/straight edge. I don't even see around much more bands that glorify that attitude, weed seems to be way more in vogue right now.

That's the movement of the culture at large, at least in the west. Cannabis is known to be much less harmful than alcohol, while offering similar positives (in terms of "needing to take the edge off" mindsets).


Quite the positive change. Marijuana is less harmful than both nicotine and alcohol, and as it gets more popular the push to legalize it will grow larger. Better for people all around.

More on topic, here's another one: oldschool death metal vocals aren't very good, or at least definitely not to my taste. As much as I have grown to love Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel, the vocals just don't have the same bite as other extreme vocals. The pinnacle of extreme vocals to me have come from hardcore bands and sludge metal.
_________________
Self-diagnosed as punk | Proudly LGBTQ+

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 561
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:36 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:
"Gangland" is a classic, an absolute gem, and a highlight of TNOTB. It's a perfect bridge between "hills" and "hallowed".

Why it's considered 'filler' by all and sundry has always perplexed me.


The vast majority of the 80s Maiden fillers don't really detract from the albums anyway... I'd agree that NOTB doesn't actually have any fillers and "Gangland" is a cool tune. I just think it's less good than a lot of the others. But that whole album has really grown on me compared to when I was younger.

Same for Piece of Mind, the "fillers" there are worse than some of the highlights like the first few songs, but they're all good.

Powerslave has the widest gulf in quality between songs of any 80s Maiden album but that just goes to show you how good the highlights are.


Powerslave received quite a bit of criticism upon its release for its supposed filler. (To my ears, only "Back In the Village" could be categorized as such.) Time has been kind to their 80s records, and this opinion seems to have diminished a bit. But perhaps that's just the effects of nostalgia.

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 2018
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:21 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Here's a more serious possibly unpopular opinion. Metal culture celebrates drinking far too much. Some casual drinking is one thing, but the glorification of getting totally wasted and trashed all the time is harmful. Alcoholism is a major issue, as is drunk driving, people who develop issues or even die from liver disease and such.


Yes! And this goes for other drugs as well even though the celebrated pint of beer hold number one in the metal world. I generally stay away from the most stupid "we love getting wasted" type bands. Not because I don't want to support them with money or any other such signalling I just don't get anything from it. Are there exceptions? Sure (especially the old school bands) but in general this is the most stupid thing in metal. I listen to the podcast metalpodden (which I generally enjoy) but they fall for this all the time. Talking about how drunk they were or how drunk they wish to be. It's only sad.

LunarisIsDead wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
Now instead i'm coming more and more across people that drink only a little or are even teetotal/straight edge. I don't even see around much more bands that glorify that attitude, weed seems to be way more in vogue right now.

That's the movement of the culture at large, at least in the west. Cannabis is known to be much less harmful than alcohol, while offering similar positives (in terms of "needing to take the edge off" mindsets).


Quite the positive change. Marijuana is less harmful than both nicotine and alcohol, and as it gets more popular the push to legalize it will grow larger. Better for people all around.


Perhaps if nicotine and alcohol were criminalized and marijuana was the only legal alternative. However, legalizing more drugs in itself won't reduce bad things related to drug use (it will probably increase them). Reducing drug related problems won't come with decriminalization but with other efforts (which can be combined with decriminalization but doesn't have to be).
_________________
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 384
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:15 pm 
 

I come back to this thread after a couple days, and it's already turned into a drug debate.
_________________
Bushido wrote:
You underground metal elitists are real a pathetic bunch of girls. No offence.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10191
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:20 pm 
 

Opus wrote:
Apparently not liking Symphony X is a controversial opinion. ;)
I love prog metal and power/prog, but I never got Symphony X. To me it's just bloated in the worst way possible. Just a number disjointed parts with extra everything. If some competent musicians were to make a prog parody, this would be it.

Apparently liking Symphony X is also a controversial opinion, because I remember being harassed off-site a few years ago for... saying I like Symphony X. :confused: lol

Edit: OK I have more context and... you're being disingenuous here. You're referring to the replies you got for this comment. You got pushback because you went in a thread asking for recommendations relating to Symphony X just to shit on the band. This is basically a form of trolling. So, yeah, don't do that.

Radulfr wrote:
I hate Slough Feg and everything it represents

Who (in Slough Feg) hurt you? :lol:
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 561
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:24 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:

Radulfr wrote:
I hate Slough Feg and everything it represents

Who (in Slough Feg) hurt you? :lol:


Lol. Maybe the singer stole his girl?!?!

Top
 Profile  
Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 am
Posts: 449
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:48 pm 
 

raumr wrote:
Piece of Mind is a very mixed bag for me, in the sense that while the peaks are high, the valleys are just as low. Revelations, The Trooper and Still Life are immortal classics that are 10/10 easily. The rest? Where Eagles Dare is alright. Flight of Icarus, Die with Your Boots on, Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are really goofy songs to me. I won't skip them when listening to the album, but they have very limited reach outside some really catchy big choruses. They also have a slight desperation about them, as if they're really trying to appeal to a mainstream audience. They're cheesy in the bad sense of the word. And finally there is the disappointing final epic To Tame a Land. Some cool riffing, but it never goes anywhere interesting. Between Hallowed Be Thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, it is quite forgettable, and against the similar song on The X Factor, Sign of the Cross, it also doesn't hold up.

The X Factor on the other hand is a monolith of consistency and presentation. The worst song, and the only one I always skip, is Look for the Truth. Great intro, but once it gets going and Blaze won't stop doing the "oooohhhh" thing, the skip button starts looking tempting. Sign of the Cross is an epic worthy of their 80s material, and it pains me slightly to admit that Bruce sings it a lot better live after their reunion.


I mean, I agree that Piece of Mind definitely ends on a whimper with the three weakest tracks back-to-back-to-back, but for me "Where Eagles Dare" is definitely in that classics bracket, especially if you're gonna put "Still Life" in there, which is a cool song that I like but wouldn't begin to consider a Maiden classic, and "Flight of Icarus" is in and around that area too.

On the other hand I see The X Factor as a monolith of bad vocals and overlong songs. The only things Blaze does on that album are the low belty style and a higher bellow, like the bit you mentioned in "Look for the Truth," which sounds absolutely awful every time he goes for it. There also aren't many shorter, snappier songs apart from "Man on the Edge," so much of the album's middle and end just kind of blurs together. Oh and the production is shit too. I do agree with you on "Sign of the Cross" though - probably the best thing to come out of the Bayley era.

But hey, it's your opinion, so I mean fair enough. If you wanna spend your days listening to The X Factor, you do you :lol:

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 561
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:06 pm 
 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
raumr wrote:
Piece of Mind is a very mixed bag for me, in the sense that while the peaks are high, the valleys are just as low. Revelations, The Trooper and Still Life are immortal classics that are 10/10 easily. The rest? Where Eagles Dare is alright. Flight of Icarus, Die with Your Boots on, Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are really goofy songs to me. I won't skip them when listening to the album, but they have very limited reach outside some really catchy big choruses. They also have a slight desperation about them, as if they're really trying to appeal to a mainstream audience. They're cheesy in the bad sense of the word. And finally there is the disappointing final epic To Tame a Land. Some cool riffing, but it never goes anywhere interesting. Between Hallowed Be Thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, it is quite forgettable, and against the similar song on The X Factor, Sign of the Cross, it also doesn't hold up.

The X Factor on the other hand is a monolith of consistency and presentation. The worst song, and the only one I always skip, is Look for the Truth. Great intro, but once it gets going and Blaze won't stop doing the "oooohhhh" thing, the skip button starts looking tempting. Sign of the Cross is an epic worthy of their 80s material, and it pains me slightly to admit that Bruce sings it a lot better live after their reunion.


I mean, I agree that Piece of Mind definitely ends on a whimper with the three weakest tracks back-to-back-to-back, but for me "Where Eagles Dare" is definitely in that classics bracket, especially if you're gonna put "Still Life" in there, which is a cool song that I like but wouldn't begin to consider a Maiden classic, and "Flight of Icarus" is in and around that area too.



You see & learn new things every day.
This thread represents the first negative criticism I've ever (!) seen directed towards "To Tame A Land"! To my ears, it's tied with "Revelations" as the best song(s) on POM! And "Still Life" and "Icarus" are two of the absolute highlights of their classic 80s Bruce years!!!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30890
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:07 pm 
 

"Flight of Icarus" is definitely a top 10 Maiden song of all time for me. Iconic.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
66samhain
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:10 pm 
 

The best metal comes from the 90s.

HIM should be on the archives if Ghost is.
_________________
The axe, the bottle, and the rope
The dark, the silent, and the cold...

Top
 Profile  
Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am
Posts: 136
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:13 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Here's a more serious possibly unpopular opinion. Metal culture celebrates drinking far too much. Some casual drinking is one thing, but the glorification of getting totally wasted and trashed all the time is harmful. Alcoholism is a major issue, as is drunk driving, people who develop issues or even die from liver disease and such.


I agree wholeheartedly. Municipal Waste, Tankard and the like are fun and all, but the fact that drinking has kinda become "part of the package" for metal (especially genres like thrash) is unfortunate. Admittedly, it's not a phenomena limited to metal, but it's still annoying that binge drinking is some badge of honor or whatever within what should be a music-centric subculture.

To bring things back on topic: Rammstein should be on the archives.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 384
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm 
 

66samhain wrote:
The best metal comes from the 90s.

I've hardly listened to any metal from the 80's or 90's, I personally prefer more modern stuff, usually excluding anything that ends with "core" other than actual hardcore. But if all 90's death metal is as brutal as None So Vile, then I might have to agree with this one.
_________________
Bushido wrote:
You underground metal elitists are real a pathetic bunch of girls. No offence.

Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1368
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 pm 
 

Pizzasmasher wrote:
Unpopular opinion: zemial wrote one of the best "overseen" metal albums of the last decade. NYKTA should be much much bigger

Just listening now, very good album. I heard it a while ago but had forgotten about it.

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 491
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:01 pm 
 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Deathdoom1992 wrote:
raumr wrote:
Piece of Mind is a very mixed bag for me, in the sense that while the peaks are high, the valleys are just as low. Revelations, The Trooper and Still Life are immortal classics that are 10/10 easily. The rest? Where Eagles Dare is alright. Flight of Icarus, Die with Your Boots on, Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are really goofy songs to me. I won't skip them when listening to the album, but they have very limited reach outside some really catchy big choruses. They also have a slight desperation about them, as if they're really trying to appeal to a mainstream audience. They're cheesy in the bad sense of the word. And finally there is the disappointing final epic To Tame a Land. Some cool riffing, but it never goes anywhere interesting. Between Hallowed Be Thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, it is quite forgettable, and against the similar song on The X Factor, Sign of the Cross, it also doesn't hold up.

The X Factor on the other hand is a monolith of consistency and presentation. The worst song, and the only one I always skip, is Look for the Truth. Great intro, but once it gets going and Blaze won't stop doing the "oooohhhh" thing, the skip button starts looking tempting. Sign of the Cross is an epic worthy of their 80s material, and it pains me slightly to admit that Bruce sings it a lot better live after their reunion.


I mean, I agree that Piece of Mind definitely ends on a whimper with the three weakest tracks back-to-back-to-back, but for me "Where Eagles Dare" is definitely in that classics bracket, especially if you're gonna put "Still Life" in there, which is a cool song that I like but wouldn't begin to consider a Maiden classic, and "Flight of Icarus" is in and around that area too.



You see & learn new things every day.
This thread represents the first negative criticism I've ever (!) seen directed towards "To Tame A Land"! To my ears, it's tied with "Revelations" as the best song(s) on POM! And "Still Life" and "Icarus" are two of the absolute highlights of their classic 80s Bruce years!!!

I love To Tame a Land, that and Where Eagles Dare bookend one of my favorite albums from Maiden. I can do without Quest For Fire and it's terrible lyrics and Sun and Steel is meh to me but I know a lot of people hate it. Anyways, I think POM is probably Bruce's shining moment with Maiden, overall.

Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1368
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:05 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Here's a more serious possibly unpopular opinion. Metal culture celebrates drinking far too much. Some casual drinking is one thing, but the glorification of getting totally wasted and trashed all the time is harmful. Alcoholism is a major issue, as is drunk driving, people who develop issues or even die from liver disease and such.

True, but one learns to ignore it. I am a recovering addict and it took me a while to listen to stuff like Tankard or Municipal Waste again, at least the more drinking-based songs, but in the end they're just lyrics (and they're pretty fucking funny anyway). I'm not going to relapse because of a band's lyrics in the same way that I'm not going to turn into a mass murderer or a nazi.
Apart from some retro-thrash that I don't even bother with anyway, I don't come across it much anyway.

PS: And to the people saying marihuana is safer: schizophrenia and memory loss.

Top
 Profile  
Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 am
Posts: 449
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:41 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
"Flight of Icarus" is definitely a top 10 Maiden song of all time for me. Iconic.


I'm not sure if it's in my personal top 10 but I definitely agree it's a banger and my favourite off Piece of Mind barring "The Trooper."

Benedict Donald wrote:
You see & learn new things every day.
This thread represents the first negative criticism I've ever (!) seen directed towards "To Tame A Land"! To my ears, it's tied with "Revelations" as the best song(s) on POM! And "Still Life" and "Icarus" are two of the absolute highlights of their classic 80s Bruce years!!!


Idk, I just don't really think it goes anywhere, the riff isn't really engaging, and it's not half as bombastic and attention grabbing as their other epics from the classic period. I don't hate it by any means, but I have never ever ever found myself thinking, "Damn, I really want to put on To Tame a Land right now."

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 3407
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:56 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Symphony X...
Edit: OK I have more context and... you're being disingenuous here. You're referring to the replies you got for this comment. You got pushback because you went in a thread asking for recommendations relating to Symphony X just to shit on the band. This is basically a form of trolling. So, yeah, don't do that.:

I wasn't shitting on them, nor did I get any pushback. It was just my roundabout way of saying no other bands sound like Symphony X.
They are a band I really should like, but for some reason I don't.
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
IrrationalBigBoy
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 am
Posts: 19
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:10 pm 
 

Well, it's in my signature...

But also on the subject of spicy takes about 90s black metal affiliated artists, I personally do not get the hype and laudation around Burzum. Like sure, Varg Vikernes is an absolute piece of shit for starters (which I hope most people realize), but beyond that I just find the early Burzum records to be exceptionally dull examples of second-wave Norwegian black metal compared to bands like Emperor, Enslaved, or even Darkthrone.

There are some cool riffs scattered throughout songs like "Det som en gang var" and "Jesu død" but they're just never taken in an interesting direction compositionally in my opinion, even in a sense of building atmosphere instead of a coherent progression. Honestly, I would probably be able to actually enjoy Burzum in some capacity if there were more songs like "War" that are just straight-up hilariously awful rather than methodically uninteresting.

And don't even get me started on the horrible dungeon synth era, that goddamn fucking saxophone on "The Ruins of Dwarfmount" still haunts me whenever I try to sleep.
_________________
”Fight the fire of hate… ‘cause when the blood flows, no words can ease the pain!”
official most virulent octagon and requiem defender

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1362
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 pm 
 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Sun and Steel is meh to me but I know a lot of people hate it.

How anyone can hate Sun and Steel is beyond me. It's a total banger and I'd love to see them put that in their setlist.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 2902
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:10 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
"Flight of Icarus" is definitely a top 10 Maiden song of all time for me. Iconic.


Yeah, I'm surprised that this one and Where Eagles Dare can be considered goofy. They are very solid, and not just in the choruses. I really like the whole section of Where Eagles Dare leading to the solo. The galloping bass and guitar riff right there are groovy and catchy as fuck. I love everything about these songs.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30890
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:16 pm 
 

Yeah - that one, Where Eagles Dare, the Powerslave and NOTB title tracks, The Evil That Men Do and pretty much any track on SIT are probably my picks for their classic works.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 561
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 pm 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
Sun and Steel is meh to me but I know a lot of people hate it.

How anyone can hate Sun and Steel is beyond me. It's a total banger and I'd love to see them put that in their setlist.


Agreed! A chorus to die for...

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6749
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 pm 
 

Here’s mine, real quick..

Electric Wizard is one of the most overrated bands in extreme metal, especially their Dopethrone record.

Top
 Profile  
Radulfr
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:30 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 pm 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
How anyone can hate Sun and Steel is beyond me. It's a total banger and I'd love to see them put that in their setlist.

Fully agreed. If Sun And Steel doesn't cheer you up, you have no soul.

Benedict Donald wrote:
"Gangland" is a classic, an absolute gem, and a highlight of TNOTB. It's a perfect bridge between "hills" and "hallowed".

Why it's considered 'filler' by all and sundry has always perplexed me.

I wouldn't call it an "absolute gem", but it is indeed a very good song, I always liked it. Don't get why people hate it.

Morrigan wrote:
Who (in Slough Feg) hurt you? :lol:

Mike Scalzi s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶ hurt my ears with his godawful monotone "singing" :lol:
He's like the vocalist of Satan except ten times more bland.

(also Symphony X is one of my all time favourite bands and whoever mocked you for liking them is a dumbass)

MetlaNZ wrote:
Yep. Radulfr, you've got some explaining to do mate. What's up with the hate?

The reason I hate them is simply because their music is so incredibly boring: all tracks on an album have the same speed with little to no variation, they all blend with each other and you forget everything about the song the moment it ends, nothing sticks to your mind. They are the perfect example of a band that writes "tracks" instead of "songs".

Their riffs are also extremely boring. You know how 80s metal bands had those simple, generic riffs playing in the background of the big anthemic choruses? Yeah, Slough Feg takes that makes it their main thing. The riffs have no aggression, they don't sound evil, they don't sound epic, they don't sound sad, don't sound cheerful, don't sound like anything. Zero emotion. And on top of that they have the lamest guitar tone I've ever heard.

The way they are worshiped here is baffling to me.
Go read Caspian's review of the Traveler album. It summarizes what I think of them pretty well.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 2902
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:22 pm 
 

marktheviktor wrote:
Here’s mine, real quick..

Electric Wizard is one of the most overrated bands in extreme metal, especially their Dopethrone record.


Think of it that way. Dopethrone is rated just fine. It's the rest of doom metal (except Black Sabbath) that's underrated.

Top
 Profile  
Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 am
Posts: 447
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:32 pm 
 

Thy Shrine wrote:
That and I just find contemporary metal culture really besides this website to be pretty lame in general and corporatized, at least most of the people on here seem like real people instead of walking band patches with no personality.

And fuck the everloving fuck out of people who make everything about money with real expensive original pressings and all that bullshit, just robs the enjoyment because guess what I'm poor and I don't have a lot of money to go out and buy a lot of music and it gets harder knowing some privileged fucking cocksmoker is just turning this music into some monetized superficial bullshit just to go post about it and insultingly enough probably never even take the record out and listen to it because then it won't be in pristine condition when they do their collection updates that nobody should really give a shit about. What a crock of shit and absolute anathema to what metals about (see what I did there lol)


That's well said, and it's true, so much is corporatized these days. And I get people who are way into certain gems in their collections, but it probably does get a little ridiculous too.
_________________
"You happy, you crazy fuck?"
"It's a league game, Smokey"

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 1224
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:52 pm 
 

Lagartija wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Here's a more serious possibly unpopular opinion. Metal culture celebrates drinking far too much. Some casual drinking is one thing, but the glorification of getting totally wasted and trashed all the time is harmful. Alcoholism is a major issue, as is drunk driving, people who develop issues or even die from liver disease and such.

True, but one learns to ignore it. I am a recovering addict and it took me a while to listen to stuff like Tankard or Municipal Waste again, at least the more drinking-based songs, but in the end they're just lyrics (and they're pretty fucking funny anyway). I'm not going to relapse because of a band's lyrics in the same way that I'm not going to turn into a mass murderer or a nazi.
Apart from some retro-thrash that I don't even bother with anyway, I don't come across it much anyway.

PS: And to the people saying marihuana is safer: schizophrenia and memory loss.


As far as your schizophrenia comment, I just have to speak up.

Marijuanna use does NOT cause schizophrenia, but there are a certain percentage of people who are predisposed to schizophrenia who can have it brought on or have an early on set as a result of weed.

However, we don't know for sure if those people would have eventually gotten schizophrenia anyway. Most likely many of them would, but possibly not all of them.

So yes, that's something to be wary of, but it's important to realize that studies have shown that it's only those already predisposed to it genetically that get schizophrenia. Weed isn't the cause it's the CATALYST.

Also, weed doesn't cause long term memory loss, only short term, and if you've smoked more than a couple times you probably realize that's true.

I've smoked about a ton of weed in my life and i haven't smoked at all for YEARS now and I know the good, the bad and the ugly, and while it certainly has its risks as nothing is without side effects, it really probably is the safest mind altering drug in existence, and it should be legal worldwide IMO, and I'm glad its finally being legalized where I am in New York, whether I choose to partake or not.

I HATE the war on drugs, so your just blanket saying "schizophrenia and memory loss" is misleading and makes it sound to anyone who doesn't know the reality as if they are at great risk of getting schizophrenia or having long term memory loss if they smoke weed and that's just blatantly untrue. And lest you think I'm just another person who champions weed as harmless I'll note that i can point out side effects you missed like ability to exacerbate lung issues in those with respiratory problems as well as Cannabis Hyperemis Syndrome which can really be a problem for those who smoke too much if they get that condition. We need to acknowledge that all substances have side effects, even legal ones, even non-mind altering over the counter drugs like Tylenol, which, by the way, is FAR more dangerous than weed. I just can't stand the culture that tries to tell us what we can and can't put into our own bodies.


Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1362
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:02 am 
 

Radulfr wrote:
The reason I hate them is simply because their music is so incredibly boring: all tracks on an album have the same speed with little to no variation, they all blend with each other and you forget everything about the song the moment it ends, nothing sticks to your mind. They are the perfect example of a band that writes "tracks" instead of "songs".

Their riffs are also extremely boring. You know how 80s metal bands had those simple, generic riffs playing in the background of the big anthemic choruses? Yeah, Slough Feg takes that makes it their main thing. The riffs have no aggression, they don't sound evil, they don't sound epic, they don't sound sad, don't sound cheerful, don't sound like anything. Zero emotion. And on top of that they have the lamest guitar tone I've ever heard.

The way they are worshiped here is baffling to me.
Go read Caspian's review of the Traveler album. It summarizes what I think of them pretty well.

OK, I don't know what you're listening to dude, none of what you're talking about sounds like the Slough Feg I know.

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 1974
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:10 am 
 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
"Flight of Icarus" is definitely a top 10 Maiden song of all time for me. Iconic.


Yeah, I'm surprised that this one and Where Eagles Dare can be considered goofy. They are very solid, and not just in the choruses. I really like the whole section of Where Eagles Dare leading to the solo. The galloping bass and guitar riff right there are groovy and catchy as fuck. I love everything about these songs.

Not sure if you're indirectly responding to me, but I never said Where Eagles Dare is goofy. No one else did either.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10191
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:22 am 
 

Radulfr wrote:
Go read Caspian's review

No thanks, I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon

Also, Sun and Steel is literally the only song from the first 7 Maiden albums that I skip. lmao
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1362
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:13 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Also, Sun and Steel is literally the only song from the first 7 Maiden albums that I skip. lmao


Oh c'mon Morrigan don't fuckin skip it!

Scream for me Metal Archives!

"Sunlight, falling on your steel
Death in life is your ideal
Life is like a wheel"

Repeat until the earworm sinks in. Should only take about 3 and a arf minutes to embed itself, not whatever ludicrous amount of time it takes these bloody days.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 36  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joppek, ogmetal and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group