Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:34 pm 

So, I know I'm not the only Dragged Into Sunlight fan on here, and I still consider Hatred for Mankind to literally be one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE extreme metal albums. It combines multiple styles, has riffs for days, and is just so dark and heavy. I've never gotten tired of it, and it never fails to get me pumped, and yet, that album is 11 years old.

Then they released Widow Maker which I was somewhat disappointed with.

I felt that it was far too "noise" oriented, with large amounts of time to devoted to not much going on, with short periods that sounded more like Hatred for Mankind to get me excited.

They have unfortunately, IMO, stuck to this style, where they try to write these extremely long tracks where nothing much is happening, and relatively few riffs, whereas their first album was riffs for days.

This was the case for the 28 minute single they released in 2020, as it was for most of the 5 songs on their 2015 EP.

So, what do you guys think the deal really is with them?

I mean this in 2 regards:

1) Why do you think they haven't put out a full length release since 2012?

2) Why do you think they won't attempt to create another album with the intensity and creativity of Hatred for Mankind?

It seems to me like they want to keep some form of "mystery" surrounding themselves, what with their names and faces always being concealed, and like they are sort trying to "tease" fans with their doing more ambient type long tracks where they rarely pull out those sick riffs.

It's almost as if they're saying "yeah, we COULD play crazy shit that would knock your block off like we did on our debut, but we're not going to."

When it comes to extreme metal they are about as good as it gets IMO in terms of mixing styles and up there with some of my favorites like Anaal Nathrakh and related bands like Fukpig, Born to Murder the World, Make Them Die Slowly, bands like Black Curse, Cauldron Black Ram, Lord Mantis, Knelt Rote, Caustic Wound, Pissgrave, Benighted and so many more.

I just wish they'd come back and put out another album as good as Hatred for Mankind.

Do you guys think the band members might be in other bands we don't know of, and if so, which? Do you think they are intentionally teasing fans with their new style and lack of releasing full length albums, or do you think they have genuinely changed styles and are just otherwise too busy to put out another full length album?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:42 pm 

Well there was that whole drama between them and Prosthetic Records where they basically stated that label didn't pay them any royalties for their music or actually support them financially in any way during all the time they were on the label (and they also didn't pay Justin Bartlett for the cover at he did for Hatred for Mankind, according to the band). I'd imagine dealing with that whole situation has taken up a lot of their time. The last update on their Facebook account mentions that they started writing material for a new album, so I assume they'll release something soon enough, given that their contract with Prosthetic is done after the release of their EP last year (which they also didn't have any say in, apparently).

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:55 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Well there was that whole drama between them and Prosthetic Records where they basically stated that label didn't pay them any royalties for their music or actually support them financially in any way during all the time they were on the label (and they also didn't pay Justin Bartlett for the cover at he did for Hatred for Mankind, according to the band). I'd imagine dealing with that whole situation has taken up a lot of their time. The last update on their Facebook account mentions that they started writing material for a new album, so I assume they'll release something soon enough, given that their contract with Prosthetic is done after the release of their EP last year (which they also didn't have any say in, apparently).

Thanks. I didn't know anything about that.

What do you think about the way they've changed stylistically? Do you think anything they've done since Hatred for Mankind is anywhere near as good? And can you hear what I mean when I say that they've sort of shifted towards a much more dark-ambient sound, kind of like Gnaw Their Tongues but much less interesting, and that it feels to me like they are constantly "holding back" and not really riffing like they did on that first album??

Like, there's probably more riffs on the first single song of Hatred for Mankind than on all of WidowMaker, and more riffs on the first 2-3 tracks then on everything else they've released combined.

Do you think it's just a change in style, or do you think they are trying to tease fans like I'm thinking?

I mean, it is obvious they are trying to be mysterious, and they probably don't want to go the typical route of releasing an album every 2 years, nor do they want their identities to be known, so I'm HOPING they are holding back to make it more impressive when they eventually release another album like HFM, but if not, then I'm not really liking the style they have going on now all that much in comparison to how they used to play.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:06 am 

I think you're over complicating things quite a bit. DIS are clearly a band who've always been into noise and dark ambient, so it's not a surprise that they started including those elements more heavily. I actually really like Widowmaker and the collab with Gnaw Their Tongues, I don't need every band to write riff a minute songs and I think Dragged Into Sunlight pull off that dark, atmospheric sound really well. The reason they haven't released in any music is likely far more to due with their issues with their (now former) label than any attempt to be mysterious.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:15 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
I think you're over complicating things quite a bit. DIS are clearly a band who've always been into noise and dark ambient, so it's not a surprise that they started including those elements more heavily. I actually really like Widowmaker and the collab with Gnaw Their Tongues, I don't need every band to write riff a minute songs and I think Dragged Into Sunlight pull off that dark, atmospheric sound really well. The reason they haven't released in any music is likely far more to due with their issues with their (now former) label than any attempt to be mysterious.

I don't know, I'm not saying I didn't like Widowmaker or anything else at all, I'm just not nearly as impressed with anything they've done since HFM and hoping they'll release another album like that.

Maybe I'd get more into the split with Gnaw Their Tongues and that long single from 2020 if I were to go back and listen more, so I think i will eventually, but nevertheless, many bands are capable of pulling off a dark atmosphere, but I've never once heard an album quite like Hatred for Mankind, and I really hope they've got another one in them.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 am 

Kalaratri wrote:

this.

hatred is definitely better, but both widowmaker and nv were also very good imo - tho' i really didn't care for terminal aggressor II

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:50 am 

I think the second LP and that EP were pretty weak so I'm not really excited about this project anymore, not going to lie.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:58 am 

It sounds like a combination of their well publicised label issues and Real Lifeā„¢ happening to prevent them from putting new music out. That said I do hope any new material is more in the style of Hatred for Mankind, there were some interesting moments in Widowmaker but the overall pace of that album felt too disperse and not very rewarding. The sheer intensity of Hatred has withstood the time well, I gave it a listen recently and it still kills.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:45 am 

Widowmaker is a perfect companion to Hatred. Some dread and melancholy to wash down all that vitriolic fury.

Reply to topic