Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:33 pm 

Maybe "woefully unhealthy" was a bit of an exaggeration. I just recall that I hadn't seen any pictures or videos of him in years and then I hardly recognized him when footage from that tour came out. I've only dabbled a bit with Ajattara and haven't really returned to the couple of albums I've checked out. What would you say is their best?

Yeah, the Angel of Death shirt incident was a bit tragic, especially since it resulted in the band vowing never again to perform with Pasi. Huge fucking bummer, but he's only got himself to blame, really.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:40 am 

^Heh, Koskinen's been through so many looks it's almost normal not to recognise him unless you've been keeping track :P

Well, my personal favourite Ajattara records are those that have the lowest rating here due to perceived "stylistic shifts", Kalmanto and Noitumaa (the former focused on downtuned guitars and industrial-ish elements, the latter is a deliberately un-pretty acoustic album, and even more vocals-driven than Ajattara is on average). The latest, Lupaus, has the most heart-wrenching lyrics and downright beautiful moments arrangement-wise, with less focus on the guitars; there's also the Joululevy compilation (re-released on vinyl recently), which has a rather provocative cover (which starts to make sense in the context of the "Christmas singles" that form it) but contains interesting cover versions of Finnish pop and rock tracks along with non-album originals (Ilon päivä is the best-known track out of those and a live staple).
But all in all, I'd say all the Ajattara records are solid, if you find you enjoy Koskinen's songwriting style. They're all short, with no "epic length" tracks, so it shouldn't take that much time checking them out :)

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am 

Sooo what do you folks think of the first single?

https://youtu.be/EU5A5nqojYo'

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:17 am 

amorphis-by-numbers again, if you ask me. not bad, but they've done it all before, and better...

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:58 pm 

aloof wrote:
amorphis-by-numbers again, if you ask me.

Agreed. But I can live with that being that what they do, they do so well.

Otherwise, there's a great melody to this song. The opening growled vocals feel "shoe horned" in and dont really fit, IMO. This song would probably benefit from 100% cleans.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 pm 

I like the production, it sounds fuller than usual and the bass is more present. The song itself is ok, nothing to write home about. Strong hook and solid vocal performance, as per usual.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:24 pm 

For some reason their singles don't really do much for me besides Silver Bride. This one was ok.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:26 pm 

Not a fan of growls on this one either. I also wish they had come up with a "video/single edit" length-wise to trim a couple of minutes off them six; when it comes to post-Rantala Amorphis, I appreciate instrumental brevity.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 pm 

This doesn't reinvent the wheel when it comes to their sound but as Benedict Donald said, they do what they do incredibly well. I like the new single. Besides, the singles are usually the weaker tracks with this band (and a lot of other bands). Still stoked for the album.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:26 pm 

The chorus is already stuck in my head. Love the mini synth solo, and I'm curious who's doing the backing vocals right after it.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:12 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
The chorus is already stuck in my head. Love the mini synth solo, and I'm curious who's doing the backing vocals right after it.

The lady? It's Noa Gruman again, she's confirmed it in the comments to the official video.
There will be a different female singer specifically featured in a duet, Petronella Nettermalm. Damn, I was really hoping they'd give Nata Koskinen a spot, but they only use her as a makeup artist :(((

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:04 am 

Yeah couldn’t even get through the whole tune. Too much prog for my liking, just kinda meanders and is there… will be another swing and a miss for me I guess. Oh well.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Too much prog

aloof wrote:
amorphis-by-numbers

One simple song managed to polarise opinions... again XD

66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:43 am 

I actually like their more proggy approach and I'm hoping to hear more of it. Not a big fan of the folk influences they've had on some material.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:51 pm 

66samhain wrote:
Not a big fan of the folk influences they've had on some material.

Like...most of it? Since Tales at least, and even their debut probably has folk melodies and lyricism buried in there.

66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:06 pm 

@LithoJazzoSphere, it depends on what you define as 'folk influences', for example, I wouldn't consider albums such as Elegy, Tuonela and AM Universum folky, except fom some tracks such as Rusty Moon. I think they were more rock and prog oriented on the latter two I mentioned. And by folk I mean the sound, not the lyrics, since Amorphis is not one of those bands I listen to for the lyrics anyway.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:47 pm 

I mean, I wouldn't put folk metal as their primary genre, but there's acoustic guitar, sitar, piano, accordion, tambourine, saxophone, flute, etc. all over those albums. Regional Finnish folklore and poetry like the Kalevala is a major throughpoint of their music and informs their writing, instrumentation, art, lyrics and such.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:06 pm 

66samhain wrote:
I wouldn't consider albums such as Elegy, Tuonela and AM Universum folky, except fom some tracks such as Rusty Moon

Do you mean you find Rusty Moon to be "folky" simply because it's kinda acoustic?
Elegy has folk-inspired riffs all over, regardless of who composed the tracks; My Kantele main riff, for instance, is Holopainen's variation on an old folk lullaby from Lönnrot's records.
When it comes to the older material, Magic & Mayhem quotes a folk melody etc.

66samhain wrote:
Amorphis is not one of those bands I listen to for the lyrics anyway.

That's an unusual approach; most Koski!morphis fans I know (we might be a dying breed but still count at least several dozens worldwide LOL) cite the Koskinen-penned lyrics as a major attraction factor.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2