Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:50 pm 

snarg wrote:
Did a search on the forum and the only 2 mentions of Mänbryne are from me. That makes me really sad.

I know it's a Mgla worship through and though, but the thing is, to me, this one is better than anything Mgla has put out. And I like Mgla a lot. Also, Pawel's vocals fit the whole thing so well.

Feels like such a shame this one is going so under the radar.

I've heard their album and quite liked it, actually.

This is the "problem" with the sheer abundance of quality bands, honestly. Some are bound get a hard time being noticed.

Solid list, btw.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:12 pm 

therealvivs wrote:

This is the "problem" with the sheer abundance of quality bands, honestly. Some are bound get a hard time being noticed.

Solid list, btw.

I mean, angrymetalguy gave it a 4.5/5
https://www.angrymetalguy.com/manbryne- ... zy-review/

Can't think of a single time that site gave above 3 to an album i like, and then no one else talks about it? got me confused

Not expecting it to win any accolades but at least a few mentions were expected

Right now it's my main contender for the 2nd spot on my list, right behind Kvadrat's masterpiece.

And thx. Some of yours almost made the cut for me as well. Feels like we might have similar taste in music. Maybe it's a Portugal thing.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:08 pm 

snarg wrote:

Yeah, I get what you mean.

I can't help but feeling a bit sad when bands release awesome records that just fall thru the cracks so to speak and go unnoticed.
This year I also loved the releases of bands such as Praise The Plague, Mystras, Ophidian I and Oxygen Destroyer, and while I don't visit this forum everyday, I don't remember any mentions of said bands; at least not any fanfare, that's for sure.

As for the similar taste in music; definitely! Is it a Portugal thing? Can't really tell!
However, judging from some of the downright hostile comments I've read on that ridiculous / hilarious "unpopular opinion" thread, extreme metal seems to be under siege, so... maybe we're a dying breed!

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:58 pm 

Well after much deliberation, I have something resembling a top 10 list put together...

Spectral Wound (Definitely my AOTY. This beauty is damn near flawless)
Ethereal Shroud
Worm
The Temple
Morgal
Stormkeep
Drawn And Quartered
Malignament
Human Serpent
Archgoat

And a bunch of honorable mentions that really hurt to leave off. Seriously, I actually kinda hate top 10 lists. It just isn't enough some years.

Lamp of Murmuur
Qrixkuor
Hyperdontia
Crypts of Despair
Helleruin
Panopticon
Misotheist
Bonehunter
Rübezahl

HadesDweller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:08 am 

I don't know why I can't send any PM to you, but I want to share my (so far) top 10 list from this year, I'm waiting for a couple of new releases to check during this month and then, if I can send a PM to you, I'll send my list in its final form.

10. Thron - Pilgrim
9. Wharflurch - Psychedelic Realms ov Hell
8. Lamp Of Murmuur - Submission And Slavery
7. Ghastly - Mercurial Passages
6. Antichrist Siege Machine - Purifying Blade
5. Invultation - Unconquerable Death
4. Archgoat - Worship Eternal Darkness
3. Exodus - Persona Non Grata
2. Hexorcist - Evil Reaping Death
1. Suffering Hour - The Cycling Reckoning

Anyways, if anybody could help me with that PM issue I will be very grateful, I barely use the forum and I'm kind of lost. Thank you.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:39 am 

HadesDweller wrote:
I don't know why I can't send any PM to you,

I'll hazard a guess that the software doesn't allow PMs from accounts with no approved posts (everybody's first two posts need to be approved manually, it's a preventative measure against spambots). If you still can't send it after this (or another) post, just let me know here and I'll make sure you get counted.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:34 am 

therealvivs wrote:
snarg wrote:

Yeah, I get what you mean.

I can't help but feeling a bit sad when bands release awesome records that just fall thru the cracks so to speak and go unnoticed.
This year I also loved the releases of bands such as Praise The Plague, Mystras, Ophidian I and Oxygen Destroyer, and while I don't visit this forum everyday, I don't remember any mentions of said bands; at least not any fanfare, that's for sure.

As for the similar taste in music; definitely! Is it a Portugal thing? Can't really tell!
However, judging from some of the downright hostile comments I've read on that ridiculous / hilarious "unpopular opinion" thread, extreme metal seems to be under siege, so... maybe we're a dying breed!

Very much has nothing to do with extreme metal fans being a dying breed, seems far more to be that it just sounds like a lot of other albums. I hear nothing special, nothing refreshing, nothing unique.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 am 

snarg wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

Solid list, btw.

I mean, angrymetalguy gave it a 4.5/5
https://www.angrymetalguy.com/manbryne- ... zy-review/

Can't think of a single time that site gave above 3 to an album i like, and then no one else talks about it? got me confused

Right now it's my main contender for the 2nd spot on my list, right behind Kvadrat's masterpiece.

And thx. Some of yours almost made the cut for me as well. Feels like we might have similar taste in music. Maybe it's a Portugal thing.

I enjoyed the album, I just don't like it as much as Mgla, sorry. Definitely better than all Blaze of Perdition albums so far.

Angry Metal Guy is garbage though. Bunch of prog power metal fans reviewing black and death metal without the slightest idea of what they are listening to. All the reviews go like "I don't usually listen to this kind of death metal BUT we received the promotional mp3s SO here's my opinion about why this album I spent 20 minutes listening to and I don't understand sucks". Then they compare it to bands that sound nothing like it and give it a 2.5 if it's a good album/3.0 if it's a great album just to validate the few 4.0 and 4.5 they give to whatever other well known and hyped bands released stuff that year.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Angry Metal Guy is garbage though. Bunch of prog power metal fans reviewing black and death metal without the slightest idea of what they are listening to. All the reviews go like "I don't usually listen to this kind of death metal BUT we received the promotional mp3s SO here's my opinion about why this album I spent 20 minutes listening to and I don't understand sucks". Then they compare it to bands that sound nothing like it and give it a 2.5 if it's a good album/3.0 if it's a great album just to validate the few 4.0 and 4.5 they give to whatever other well known and hyped bands released stuff that year.

Oh, I agree, wasn't defending their reviews, just pointing out the fact that they usually give "my music" low scores and this was an exception.

Maybe it's one of those cases where the album is a bit more palatable than usual to non BM fans? Kinda like Litourgiya. Not that it matters if it's easier access or not, still love it all the same.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:10 pm 

I remember when Angry Metal Guy gave the first Ghoulgotha a 0.5 because the writer had never heard dissonant music before and waved it off as "the guitars are out of tune". The site is a fucking joke.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:31 pm 

snarg wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Oh, I agree, wasn't defending their reviews, just pointing out the fact that they usually give "my music" low scores and this was an exception.

Maybe it's one of those cases where the album is a bit more palatable than usual to non BM fans? Kinda like Litourgiya. Not that it matters if it's easier access or not, still love it all the same.

I had you all wrong then, sorry.

narsilianshard wrote:
I remember when Angry Metal Guy gave the first Ghoulgotha a 0.5 because the writer had never heard dissonant music before and waved it off as "the guitars are out of tune". The site is a fucking joke.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing wrong with disliking stuff, they just manage to be really obtuse about it.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:20 pm 

snarg wrote:

I don't know how that's a valuable metric though. If I'm trying skimming through reviews to find new stuff to listen to, I don't give a shit what non-metalheads have to say about underground metal.

narsilianshard wrote:

It's hard to believe that people who want to do their job right and try to become a credible source of information on metal music would be satisfied with such botched reviews. You either improve your knowledge and understanding of something, hire someone who knows about that kind of stuff, or you shut the fuck about things you clearly don't understand.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:56 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Morgal
Malignament

Yay, someone else is as excited as I am about these :hyper:
(Even though I still managed to fucking forget them as well for my list...)

I'm making a note of a lot of recs in this thread, thanks guys. Just discovered Demiser and Demoniac, great stuff! About to give Mänbryne a spin, I'm a sucker for anything Mgla-like.

Last edited by Lagartija on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:07 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

It's hard to believe that people who want to do their job right and try to become a credible source of information on metal music would be satisfied with such botched reviews. You either improve your knowledge and understanding of something, hire someone who knows about that kind of stuff, or you shut the fuck about things you clearly don't understand.

I tried my hand at writing reviews and contributing to some of these blogs about a decade ago. At the time I didn't play any instruments or really have any fundamental musical understanding; now that I'm in a band I realize how embarrassing my writing was since I was missing so much context. Not every writer needs to be a musician, but when you're not it can lead to abominations like the above. It's like being a food critic when you don't know the first thing about cooking.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:17 pm 

snarg wrote:
Los Males del Mundo - Descent Towards Death

YES! :love:

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:33 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I tried my hand at writing reviews and contributing to some of these blogs about a decade ago. At the time I didn't play any instruments or really have any fundamental musical understanding; now that I'm in a band I realize how embarrassing my writing was since I was missing so much context. Not every writer needs to be a musician, but when you're not it can lead to abominations like the above. It's like being a food critic when you don't know the first thing about cooking.

I'm not really expecting everyone to be amazing all the time. And of course, everyone needs to practice to improve. But writing a so-so review isn't the problem here. It's the total lack of self-awareness that these guys seem to have. If you know that you're not really into death metal, or worse, that you don't have the tools to understand it, why insist on making negative reviews of death metal releases?

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:13 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
snarg wrote:
Los Males del Mundo - Descent Towards Death

YES! :love:

Yes indeed; amazing black metal right there.
Man, Top 10 is just way too hard for me...

I think I'm just easily pleased, I guess.
I keep seeing people saying they cannot find anything unique or special or whatever... well, imho, I don't need the wheel to be reinvented and I keep finding awesome music in different genres, not just the exteme stuff. And I've been listening to metal for 30 odd years now...

Prairieshadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's like wtf is up with this site every time I find myself there.

Shad_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:48 am 

This thread is my favorite Christmas present every year. Didn't know there was new Veilburner and it's shaping to be my favorite album by them. Spectral Wound is fantastic. Really enjoying Ildaruni. Thanks for all the new leads!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:54 pm 

Think I finally have the ten releases solidified for my list, but still have to rank them. Really quite surprised that there is almost no doom representation in my picks, as there were several releases from that genre that I really love that I've binged on.

Juudaime69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 pm 

Subject to change - here what it look like for now :

1) Iotunn - Access All World
2) Dordeduh - Har
3) Mare Cognitum - Solar Paroxysm
4) Ad Nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
5) Empyrium - Uder den Sternen
6) Ellende - Triebe
7) Archspire - Bleed the Future
8) First Fragment - Gloire Éternelle
9) Veilburner - Lurkers in the Capsule of Skull
10) Thermohaline - Maelstrom

Very close to be in top 10 :

Inferno - Paradeigma (Phosphenes of Aphotic Eternity)
Sermon of Flames - I Have Seen the Light, and it was Repulsive
Diskord - Degenerations
Deviant Process - Nurture
Moon - Pandimensional Gnosis

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:12 am 

As I mentioned in another thread, the new OTARGOS album rips. A band that kind of nobody talks about. I really like the new album and it is probably my favorite from this year.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:20 am 

Juudaime69 wrote:
10) Thermohaline - Maelstrom

Good to see this one mentioned. It probably won't make my top 10 but a solid album nonetheless.
Your shit is too underground for me. Most only have a few thousand Spotify listers. One of them only had 72 listeners lol. If a band doesn’t have at least 100,000 listeners them I’m probably not interested.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:39 am 

Sutura from Brazil put out a killer album this year too, 'Dawn of cursed souls'. Been blasting that one a lot.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:58 pm 

So here's my list:

1. Seven Spires - Gods of Debauchery

Runner Ups:
Beast in Black - Dark Connection
Metalite - A Virtual World
Powerwolf - Call of the Wild
Pharaoh - The Powers That Be
Blazon Stone - Damnation
Helloween - Helloween
Epica - Omega
Unto Others - Strength
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Swagger & Stroll Down the Rabbit Hole

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:14 pm 

Juudaime69 wrote:
8) First Fragment - Gloire Éternelle

I was expecting to like this one more then I did. I think this noodly-doodly kind of technical death metal is really hit-or-miss for me. I'm saying this because I really like Phil Tougas's work with Chthe'ilist, and I liked Dominic Lapointe's work on the first Beyond Creation album. But whenever I feel that the riffs are not meaty enough, or that they aren't central enough in the songs structures, this kind of music loses me because I find myself not remembering much about any single track because nothing really "sticks" for me without a solid and memorable rhythmic backbone.

I might have to give it a few more spins to really appreciate it. But right now it's not on my list for contenders to my top 10.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:44 pm 

It's weird how some genres and artists hit everyone differently. Almost everything you said about First Fragment was what my experience was with Archspire. Tougas is one of the most prolific players of the past decade. Forest is always excellent, but I'm especially fond of him in Augury.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:55 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
It's weird how some genres and artists hit everyone differently. Almost everything you said about First Fragment was what my experience was with Archspire. Tougas is one of the most prolific players of the past decade. Forest is always excellent, but I'm especially fond of him in Augury.

I kind of see what you mean with Archspire, but I guess the delivery kind of makes it work for me. Again. I did not hate that First Fragment album, but I was expecting to like it much more then I did, as I really love what Phil Tougas is doing with Chthe'ilist, and because I always like Forest's bass work.

The more time I spend listening to other stuff, the more I think Archspire might not make my final list. I like it, but not as much as I like some other stuff in there.

And I don't know who recommended that new Mortiferum album, but I'm a sucker for that kind of death metal, and I had to make room for it in my top 10, haha!

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:20 am 

Whitehorse - Death Weight quickly became my favourite so far, but unfortunately for them I'm very unlikely to scrape together 10 this year.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:31 am 

Just submitted mine:

1) Herzel - Le Dernier Rempart
2) Atvm - Famine, Putrid and Fucking Endless
3) Thy Catafalque - Vadak
4) Iotunn - Access All Worlds
5) Stormkeep - Tales of Othertime
6) Hooded Menace - The Tritonus Bell
7) Steel Bearing Hand - Slay In Hell
8) Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
9) Cryptosis - Bionic Swarm
10) Aenigmatum - Deconsecrate

For a while I had Wardrum - Mavericks somewhere in there, but in the end the last few days of listening to other potential candidates and to the albums that weren't already locked in position led me to take that one out, rearrange the list a bit, and include the new Spectral Wound that had been at #11 until then. Other honorable mentions include Green Lung, Helloween, Cave of Swimmers, John the Baptist, Thorium, Silver Talon, Ferriterium... Too many to list them all, it's been a good year too.

thebloodfeaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 pm 

therealvivs wrote:

Well if it makes you feel any better, Oxygen Destroyer is currently sitting in my top 20. I don't know if it will survive the round of final cuts to make my top 10, but it is definitely an awesome record.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:41 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
As I mentioned in another thread, the new OTARGOS album rips. A band that kind of nobody talks about. I really like the new album and it is probably my favorite from this year.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Otargos as they were one of the first bands i got into when i started getting into black metal. I will check the new album out eventually but maybe not this year.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:44 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
77hjrttfred wrote:

I have a soft spot in my heart for Otargos as they were one of the first bands i got into when i started getting into black metal. I will check the new album out eventually but maybe not this year.

Too bad they chose / had to release it at the very end of the year... this one will most likely fly under the radar (like many others)... and that's an absolute shame.
It's a scorcher; if you like fast, energetic black metal with almost a death metal approach and attitude, it's a no-brainer.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:26 am 

Here it goes:

1. Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
2. Carcass - Torn Arteries
3. Nature Morte - Messe Basse
4. Genune - Inert & Unerring
5. Cradle Of Filth - Existence Is Futile
6. Unto Others - Strength
7. Tribulation - Where The Gloom Becomes Sound
8. Ferriterium - Calvaire
9. Grima - Rotting Garden
10. Bewitcher - Cursed Be Thy Kingdom

I feel like Genune, Nature Morte and Ferriterium may all end up in rando-corner. Nature Morte did Deafheaven better than Deafheaven this year.
My favourite subgenre is Heavy Metal, but this year, I just didn't find much I loved. It was a black/post-black/goth year for me I guess.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:07 pm 

As of now, I think my top 3 won't change all that much. I've relistened to all three of them, and they all still hold up, and I'm still enjoying them every time I give them a spin. So here goes:

1. Panopticon - ...And Again Into the Light
2. Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
3. Dvne - Etemen Ænka

My second and third place might end up switching around, but I'm pretty sure these will all stay in my top 3. As for the 4th to 10th spot, I'm still considering a few albums, although I think Carcass and Mortiferum will most likely land somewhere in there.

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:49 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Here it goes:

1. Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
2. Carcass - Torn Arteries
3. Nature Morte - Messe Basse
4. Genune - Inert & Unerring
5. Cradle Of Filth - Existence Is Futile
6. Unto Others - Strength
7. Tribulation - Where The Gloom Becomes Sound
8. Ferriterium - Calvaire
9. Grima - Rotting Garden
10. Bewitcher - Cursed Be Thy Kingdom

I feel like Genune, Nature Morte and Ferriterium may all end up in rando-corner. Nature Morte did Deafheaven better than Deafheaven this year.
My favourite subgenre is Heavy Metal, but this year, I just didn't find much I loved. It was a black/post-black/goth year for me I guess.

Well, Ferriterium made my list, so it won't be in rando at least...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:57 pm 

I'm pretty confident Vetrar Draugurinn, Ad Infinitum, Silver Talon, Swallow The Sun, and Crypts of Despair are getting in. There are another dozen that are strongly competing for the remaining five spots, another dozen or two that I like and could challenge that group if they've grown on me in the next listen, and of course I'm continuing to check out some other releases to see if I've missed anything. There might actually be more really good albums released this year than last (although that partly may just be a function of having heard and sampled more albums this year than last), but the upper tier or two aren't quite as strong as last year, though it has gotten somewhat closer since the last time or two I mentioned it.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:16 pm 

jimbies wrote:

wasn't a super strong year for trad but the new pharaoh, tales of medusa, significant point and cirith ungol releases are all very good though, its just beyond those releases there isn't that much stuff thats really worthwhile. (shout out to Tower and Trance regardless)

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 pm 

Black Sites and Lucifer have kind of a trad feel to them. Khemmis, Todd La Torre, Crystal Viper, and Helloween also to an extent.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 pm 

Got to try Tower soon.

Master Spy is good if you like Maiden's epics.

And yes Pharaoh is exquisite.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next