Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:00 pm 
 

As a bassist and bass enthusiast, I've noticed that there are a lot of great players to choose from in anything tech, prog, trad/US power, and (to a lesser extent) thrash but the cream of the crop is a lot more selective in other subgenres. Here are a few names that stand out to me:

Melodeath: Martin Henriksson of Dark Tranquillity played some great lines in their early years. A Bolt of Blazing Gold and The Gallery are a few standouts. His picking approach let him have multiple strings ringing out at once more often than most bassists, so he added a good deal to their harmonic content beyond being the low end foundation (though he was often that as well).

Doom: Leo Smee of Cathedral gets seemingly no credit yet the dude kills it tbh. He's got a great vocabulary of bluesy fills and aggressive fingerstyle plucking that reminds me a bit of Jefferson Airplane's Jack Casady or John Entwistle at times. His melodic sensibilities especially shine on their more melodic tracks like Blue Light or Cats, Incense, Candles, & Wine while he grinds out a great distorted bass on heavier tunes like Beneath a Funeral Sun or Fangalactic Supergoria which also have some cool lead bits.

Euro power: Pasi Kauppinen of Sonata Arctica is the best part of the modern SA configuration imo. I haven't spent as much time listening to his work in detail as the others but it struck me when getting to Pariah's Child in my recent listen-through of their discography that the bass gets quite an upgrade in presence and creativity once he joins. Some awesome tapping riffs in there and a great tone that is sadly very overlooked due to the band often being seen only as "Tony and the other guys" nowadays.

Who do you consider to be the best bassists in subgenres such as doom, black, melodeath, Euro power, folk metal and any other subgenre that doesn't usually have great bass?

Top
 Profile  
AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Posts: 179
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:07 pm 
 

Pete Steele was the greatest “goth metal” bassist. Not super technical but lots of feeling and power and a very unique approach to the instrument.

DD for thrash.

Not sure who the bassist for Inquisition is, but he’s very good. /s

Top
 Profile  
In_Zane
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:12 pm 
 

Alex Webster/Steve Di Giorgio for Death Metal.
_________________
Paranoia,
Coming from within, taking over,
Symptoms of an everlasting...
Phobia!

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2171
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm 
 

i'm not much in to power metal (anymore), so porra's bass solo was easily the highlight of a stratovarius gig i saw a few years ago

also, how on earth is doom of all genres on that list? every metal bassist i've ever heard of worships at the altar of geezer butler
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 pm
Posts: 195
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:45 pm 
 

Graeme English (Satan, Skyclad) is possibly the best NWOBHM bassist aside from Steve Harris.

Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 653
Location: Purgatory
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:54 pm 
 

Let's get this one out of the way: Damon Good AKA The Great Righteous Destroyer. He's a God in every project he's on, Martire, Mournful Congregation etc. but in StarGazer his fretless bass madness is just ridiculously cool. And he does vocals on top of that jazz so fucking A.

Edit: Then again, after digesting the topic I'm not sure if slightly technical death metal fits the bill at all. Well I gave him the shout out all the same.

Top
 Profile  
jjohn
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 140
Location: Greece/France
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:11 pm 
 

I like Noctiz's bass work in Lugubrum
_________________
Kekal/ Sigh/ Negura Bunget/ Ihsahn/ Ephel Duath/ Thy Catafalque

Top
 Profile  
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:12 pm 
 

joppek wrote:
i'm not much in to power metal (anymore), so porra's bass solo was easily the highlight of a stratovarius gig i saw a few years ago

also, how on earth is doom of all genres on that list? every metal bassist i've ever heard of worships at the altar of geezer butler

Well it's true that Geezer set the standard of doom having great bass but a lot of the bands who followed up on their sound didn't live up to his standard. Saint Vitus, Trouble, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, nearly every death/doom or goth/doom band and others tend to majorly downplay the bass factor and don't have all that many memorable lines compared to the origins. Ofc there are a good deal of standout players in doom too, though usually the more traditional or stoner variants. A Geezer-tier death/doom bassist for example would be a cool revelation (aside from DiGiorgio on Severed Survival ofc).

Anyhow, feel free to go outside the subgenres I listed I'm just going by personal perception here. I'm all for hearing more underrated players getting highlighted like Damon Good did above too. If they're not from one of the big chops-heavy genres it's a definite bonus though.

Good shout for Graeme English, he plays some killer lines on Skyclad's A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol (A Broken Promised Land springs to mind) in particular. I was tempted to highlight him as a folk metal player too but admittedly that's a subgenre I don't know very well outside of the 3 or 4 legacy acts.

Top
 Profile  
Wahn_nhaW
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:34 pm
Posts: 447
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 pm 
 

Metallic Shock wrote:
joppek wrote:
i'm not much in to power metal (anymore), so porra's bass solo was easily the highlight of a stratovarius gig i saw a few years ago

also, how on earth is doom of all genres on that list? every metal bassist i've ever heard of worships at the altar of geezer butler

Well it's true that Geezer set the standard of doom having great bass but a lot of the bands who followed up on their sound didn't live up to his standard. Saint Vitus, Trouble, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, nearly every death/doom or goth/doom band and others tend to majorly downplay the bass factor and don't have all that many memorable lines compared to the origins. Ofc there are a good deal of standout players in doom too, though usually the more traditional or stoner variants. A Geezer-tier death/doom bassist for example would be a cool revelation (aside from DiGiorgio on Severed Survival ofc).

Anyhow, feel free to go outside the subgenres I listed I'm just going by personal perception here. I'm all for hearing more underrated players getting highlighted like Damon Good did above too. If they're not from one of the big chops-heavy genres it's a definite bonus though.

Good shout for Graeme English, he plays some killer lines on Skyclad's A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol (A Broken Promised Land springs to mind) in particular. I was tempted to highlight him as a folk metal player too but admittedly that's a subgenre I don't know very well outside of the 3 or 4 legacy acts.


Great idea for a thread and a very good point about Leo Smee and the bass in doom metal. Cathedral is one of my favorites, but this is a good reminder to pay more attention to detail, so thanks for that.

Seconding Graeme English too. He has killer lines on the thrashier first album too, not necessary the context where you'd expect to find prominent bass playing.
_________________
Just call me Wahn.

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 3555
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:33 pm 
 

I like the groove and feel Nick Jost of Baroness has. Really felt it the 2 times I've seen them live.

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 3410
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:54 pm 
 

Nick Schendzielos of Job For a Cowboy
Sadly (and understandably) you don't often hear metal bassists groove like this.

_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!


Last edited by Opus on Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10745
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:03 pm 
 

Jens Becker is known for his melodic, stylized bass. Very memorable and respected player. Really cool slickness to his work.

I don't know about necessarily calling him an exceptional bassist, but what Devo did when he returned to Marduk was put a production spotlight on bass. The thought would be that a black metal band would focus on anything but the bass, but him juicing the low end and keeping those lines mixed properly added a flavorful layer to a band like Marduk.

DD Verni is a good one, I like listening to Ville Sorvali's playing (which could just be me listening to Moonsorrow in general), Ross Dolan, and while Abbath isn't a great bassist he does sound great on ATHOW and SOND.

Want to also give a shoutout to Erra bassists who (are primarily Jesse and Sean), while not strictly playing metal, are always memorable.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
APaleShadow
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 am
Posts: 66
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:11 pm 
 

Svartidaudi have a pretty prominent bass presence for a black metal band. Profanatica were formed by three early members of Incantation and you can really hear it in the way their albums are mixed. They legit sound like black metal Incantation, complete with rumbling bass.

Top
 Profile  
AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Posts: 179
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:29 pm 
 

The bassist for Kvelertak is awesome. Not sure what genre they fall into - but love their bass parts.

Top
 Profile  
SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:08 am
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:45 pm 
 

I like Claudio Botarro's playing for epic doom bands Capilla Ardiente and Procession:

Spoiler: show


Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:50 am 
 

Wouldn't call them unknowns at this point, but Steve Blanco from Imperial Triumphant and whoever plays bass for Thantifaxath are beasts and their basslines are huge parts of their bands' styles.

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 780
Location: US
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:27 am 
 

Opus wrote:
Nick Schendzielos of Job For a Cowboy
Sadly (and understandably) you don't often hear metal bassists groove like this.


NPT kicks major ass and it's mostly because of his bass playing. Keep on rocking in the semi-free world, Vlad.
_________________
Lagartija wrote:
They were all just teenagers when they changed the face of metal forever and wrote timeless classics, it's mind-blowing.
At that age all I was concerned about was getting wasted and trying to lose my virginity, which didn't happen for a while...

Top
 Profile  
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 am 
 

SquirrelHunt wrote:
I like Claudio Botarro's playing for epic doom bands Capilla Ardiente and Procession:

Spoiler: show


Oh hell yeah this is a great new discovery! That's the definition of the perfect "growl" bass tone right there. I'll definitely be checking his work out more.

Lots of great names dropped in here. Nick Schendzielos and Steve Blanco are both names I thought of mentioning earlier though they're somewhat in that tech category. Still, that Nuclear Power Trio EP last year was some of the best bass porn I've heard in recent memory and Blanco is my favorite part of the Alphaville album in particular.

OzzyApu, I agree that Jens Becker is great with Running Wild but sadly I've noticed he doesn't shine through with Grave Digger as much. Granted, I haven't heard any of their albums in full. Would you say he has many standout performances on the GD albums?

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2407
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:01 am 
 

Frostein S. Arctander did some outstanding guest bass work in the first Taake album: really epic and memorable, and even had few little "lead" spots that stand out.

He even did a really good job with the drums! Why he guested only on that album and then disappeared is a mistery.

Top
 Profile  
Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 2:47 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Altai/Siberia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:36 am 
 

Morrigan from Aeternus played her bass lines so epic on first two LPs so it's hard to imagine it now sounding without it.

Listen also to the work of Tortur on Obtained Enslavement' Witchcraft and to Kai K. Lie on Borknagar' Archaic Course - they're both showing how bass can be leading instrument in black metal arrangements.

If we talk about Borknagar - don't forget outstanding efforts of Infernus on bass on their debut. It makes album sound unforgettable.

Infernus is a big bass-lover - he always emphasized bass sound on early albums. Song Gorgoroth has a leading melody played on bass.

Top
 Profile  
66samhain
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:24 am 
 

Brian Hansen from Saturnus had some really great lines on Paradise Belongs To You, really adding to the atmosphere and complementing the clean guitars amazingly well.

Johnny Hagel did some fantastic work on Tiamat's Wildhoney. When I first started playing bass, that album was one of my inspirations.

Not sure who did the bass parts on that album, but Anathema's Serenades is really catchy. Alternative 4 as well.

Not metal, but Mike Starr from Alice In Chains is also an extraordinary bass player, that tone is something to die for.
_________________
The axe, the bottle, and the rope
The dark, the silent, and the cold...

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 1983
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 pm 
 

Black metal is known for having a very quiet and uninteresting bass. A notable exception is Fenriz on the first Dødheimsgard album.

He treats it almost like a lead guitar at times, playing complementary melodies to Aldrahn's guitar.

This is the best example I think, notice it in the opening riff, and then again during the extended instrumental section.
Spoiler: show

Top
 Profile  
Belastbar
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:43 am
Posts: 57
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:52 pm 
 

I am a big fan of the bass playing in the band Shining. Shining often use a style of instrumentation where the guitars play leads or chords in the higher frequency ranges, while the bass fills the space underneath. This gives the bass players lots of room for their creativity. A great example of this is Demodets Arkitektur from IV: The Eerie Cold, which even has a wonderfully atmospheric Bass at the beginning. The bass player on this album is Phil A. Cirone.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8639
Location: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:16 pm 
 

I never really bought into the "black metal often has shitty/uninteresting bass" thing. Plenty of notable BM bands have great bass parts.
_________________
Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash


https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10745
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:15 pm 
 

Metallic Shock wrote:
OzzyApu, I agree that Jens Becker is great with Running Wild but sadly I've noticed he doesn't shine through with Grave Digger as much. Granted, I haven't heard any of their albums in full. Would you say he has many standout performances on the GD albums?

Come to think of it, most of the praise I'd give him does come from just Running Wild and another band. In Grave Digger he's settled into a support role. Very audible, but not flashy or influencing the writing to the point where he's doing those highly melodic basslines. In GD, he tends to have a stronger presence in their slower songs / ballads. If you want good thic boi bass, Excalibur and Ballads of a Hangman are pretty satisfying.

And if you don't mind rip-off bands, Jens' post-RW / pre-GD band X Wild has him showing his skills off.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:17 am 
 

Troy Sanders - Mastodon

He's just an excellent bass player with great taste for what needs to be played when. He's not only locking in with the drums. He is never just following the guitars (for any longs stretch of time). He carves out his own space but never overplays either. His use of effects is also inspiring in how he creates different moods for the songs based on the sound he goes for on the bass.
_________________
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Top
 Profile  
Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:24 am
Posts: 572
Location: Quebec City, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:11 am 
 

No virtuoso, but Robin Graves on the early CoF albums (Principle-Midian). His basslines where great, lots of melodic parts that added a lot to the songs. I miss his style. None of the subsequent bassists were as interesting. Just straight rhythmic bassist that followed the riffs, buried under modern production.
_________________
"Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me"

Top
 Profile  
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:42 am 
 

InnesI wrote:
Troy Sanders - Mastodon

He's just an excellent bass player with great taste for what needs to be played when. He's not only locking in with the drums. He is never just following the guitars (for any longs stretch of time). He carves out his own space but never overplays either. His use of effects is also inspiring in how he creates different moods for the songs based on the sound he goes for on the bass.


Interesting choice. I appreciated his bass solo on Teardrinker and his tone was a bit more present on Hushed & Grim, but usually I find his playing a bit overly buried. It's also tough because he's in a band with such tight players on the other instruments that his work is often what I notice the least. What would you consider some highlights for him? I may be forgetting some.

Also, gotta give some love to Nik Mazzucconi of Labyrinth. Those last two albums of theirs have some of the best bass tones I've heard in Euro power metal and he's great at quite a variety of techniques. Something like Still Alive shows how rock solid and present he can be in a supporting role while tunes like Stardust and Ashes and Finally Free have killer solos and general fancy dancing around on both fretted and fretless. Hope to see him continue to be showcased more and more in that band.

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:59 am 
 

Metallic Shock wrote:
InnesI wrote:
Troy Sanders - Mastodon

He's just an excellent bass player with great taste for what needs to be played when. He's not only locking in with the drums. He is never just following the guitars (for any longs stretch of time). He carves out his own space but never overplays either. His use of effects is also inspiring in how he creates different moods for the songs based on the sound he goes for on the bass.


Interesting choice. I appreciated his bass solo on Teardrinker and his tone was a bit more present on Hushed & Grim, but usually I find his playing a bit overly buried. It's also tough because he's in a band with such tight players on the other instruments that his work is often what I notice the least. What would you consider some highlights for him? I may be forgetting some.


I would have to listen to everything because I never remember such things off the top of my head but his work makes stuff interesting on a track such as Jaguar God for example. I rarely think he does stuff that stands out in the way Cliff Burton did bass solos. He's not that kind of player but the way he neither creates his own space within the band. And he does things not so common in metal bands. He's got such good taste as to where he should follow the guitar, where he should do something completely different and where he should just colour a little (put more emphasis here, put a little lick there).

But are you sure you can't hear him? He is very present in the mix on every album (at least from Leviathan onwards - I haven't heard their earlier material). You might confuse his bass with guitars since he often uses heavy distortions of different kinds.
_________________
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Top
 Profile  
MatsBG
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:02 am
Posts: 130
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 pm 
 

Markus Grosskopf from Helloween would be my obvious choice. I really like his style, and, as with pretty much any member that Helloween has had, his mastery of the instrument just elevates the band's music miles above most power/speed metal. I'm not a bassist myself, and I'm not good at telling if a bassist is technically good or not, but I always feel that Markus just adds so much with his playing in Helloween.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8639
Location: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:35 pm 
 

I've never thought of black metal being boring for bass. Great black metal often has really cool bass. I mean, sure, it might "lack" slap bass and bass tapping but... that shit sucks.
_________________
Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash


https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Top
 Profile  
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:17 pm 
 

I haven't listened to black metal that regularly since getting into bass (was more into it when I just focused on guitar) but the mixes definitely did no favors for a lot of them back in the day. Necrobutcher is pretty solid at least though and I always liked that bass melody in Dimmu's Antikrist, but you're not gonna usually get a lot of bass chops in that genre. I get the sentiment the ol' "slap and tap" bass approach can be rather gimmicky if it's tossed in with little care but it's killer when done well imo. My favorite "notice the bass" approach is more just straight up melodic fingerstyle or pick playing that has an independent movement from the guitars though.

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 500
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:38 pm 
 

Billy Gould - Faith No More.
I don't know how to classify FNM by sub-genre but they are in the archives and Gould is a big part of their sound, as well as the main songwriter. His playing is a highlight of most songs, the thing that gets me is how he has a slap sound but purely plays with a pick.

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:53 pm 
 

Metallic Shock wrote:
I haven't listened to black metal that regularly since getting into bass (was more into it when I just focused on guitar) but the mixes definitely did no favors for a lot of them back in the day. Necrobutcher is pretty solid at least though and I always liked that bass melody in Dimmu's Antikrist, but you're not gonna usually get a lot of bass chops in that genre. I get the sentiment the ol' "slap and tap" bass approach can be rather gimmicky if it's tossed in with little care but it's killer when done well imo. My favorite "notice the bass" approach is more just straight up melodic fingerstyle or pick playing that has an independent movement from the guitars though.


I think to many are focused on solos, slap n tap or didling fills to much. Great utility is way more important. Take Burzum for example. No one will claim that Varg is a great or technical bass player but he utilizes the instrument excellently. It really has it's own identity in his music. Whether is being the instrument used as a drone or whether it is doing very slow fourths while the guitar does tremolo riffs or melodies and the drums blast. The bass in Burzum roots the whole project and quite often also drives the melody. It's not flashy but rarely have I heard a more effective use of bass in that particular genre. One can hear it on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas as well. Techincally nothing groundbreaking but the way he manages to incorporate some melody into the bass lines is very nicely done there as well.
_________________
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Top
 Profile  
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 pm 
 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Billy Gould - Faith No More.
I don't know how to classify FNM by sub-genre but they are in the archives and Gould is a big part of their sound, as well as the main songwriter. His playing is a highlight of most songs, the thing that gets me is how he has a slap sound but purely plays with a pick.

He does play with his fingers and slaps too though, like Woodpecker from Mars is slap (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fHz0jZCMs&t=99s) and the King for a Day title track is traditional fingerstyle. A good example of a guy who mixes it up depending on what the song calls for and yeah absolutely an underrated player all around.

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 500
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:19 pm 
 

Metallic Shock wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
Billy Gould - Faith No More.
I don't know how to classify FNM by sub-genre but they are in the archives and Gould is a big part of their sound, as well as the main songwriter. His playing is a highlight of most songs, the thing that gets me is how he has a slap sound but purely plays with a pick.

He does play with his fingers and slaps too though, like Woodpecker from Mars is slap (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fHz0jZCMs&t=99s) and the King for a Day title track is traditional fingerstyle. A good example of a guy who mixes it up depending on what the song calls for and yeah absolutely an underrated player all around.

Thanks for that vid! I've seen them live many times but didn't pay enough attention. I just remember in an interview, him saying that he has to play with a pick.

Top
 Profile  
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 pm 
 

joppek wrote:
i'm not much in to power metal (anymore), so porra's bass solo was easily the highlight of a stratovarius gig i saw a few years ago

Porra is an interesting (and sometimes frustrating) case for me because he's very likely the most diversely skilled bassist in Euro power metal but he doesn't get nearly enough opportunities to show it. Having heard his solo albums he can easily switch from latin grooves to shred to jazz walking bass lines while sounding equally comfortable in all of them. Hell, he's even composed his own concertos and played bass along an orchestra and somehow made that sound good too. Yet with all these abilities he's still somewhat buried in most Stratovarius mixes and inexplicably is never included in their solo trade-off sections. On the last Kotipelto solo album he did take a solo in the opening track at least but for some reason that's never extended to his main gig. Still, a tremendously underrated player for sure, I just hope that he's at least pushed more to the forefront eventually since he certainly deserves it.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group