Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm 

Were they always this good? It sounds like a poppy Primordial with Marco Hietala on vocals, and I love it!

MA has them as Epic Doom/Viking Metal (early); Viking/Black Metal (later), but this is neither. Will the album be just epic heavy metal?

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:54 pm 

I have one of their earlier albums called Fire Meets Ice, which I enjoy quite a lot. That album definitely has a Bathory influence from the 'Viking' era. It sounded quite a bit like Hammerheart.

I noticed that this is their 9th. full length in 14 years. That's a pretty steady output.

kadaverousau
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:24 pm 

They've always been good, I honestly have no clue why they are so unknown. They definitely always try to hit that epic soundscape (my favourite song of theirs is Dance of the Elves from Nattramn). They've experimented but it has always been within the terms of their own style (so to speak) which has always been heavily Bathory inspired. In fact their Bathory tribute album is spot on.

The full album is out now. That song is not indicative of the entire album (it's definitely the "single"), but there are elements of it throughout nearly every song, intermixed with black metal riffs + growled vocals. I think the last album (Järtecken) had a bit of dip in quality, it was not bad but some of the songs were a bit average compared to what they had put out in previous albums.

edit: This one is shaping up to be good after a few listens!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:19 pm 

The full album stream is up here:

I've always liked these guys, definitely heavily influenced by Bathory but also with their own spin on the viking metal sound. There's also a bit of influence from the other band some of the members are involved in, Isole, who play very Candlemass and Solitude Aeternus inspired epic doom metal.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:21 am 

For some reason I've never listened to these guys. I've known of them but never gotten around to it.
And damn this album blew me away. Holy crap this is good.
The ingredients aren't terribly unique, but the way they've merged them makes the album and sound totally their own imo.
Color me impressed, to say the least.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:15 am 

I suppose they have often been written off as merely a Bathory clone/tribute band. I haven't really paid that much attention to their discography, but after a couple listens to this new one I would say that at least by now they're certainly much more than that.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:03 am 

The harmonies Bryntse and Crister perform are the selling point of their other band Isole (epic doom) as well. I'm more into Isole but I Have the Sky has been stuck in my head after one listen. It's quite the song and they definitely deserve the recognition for writing it. It will surely prove to be a live favourite. Alvablot and Ner i mörkret are incredible songs too, epic to the bone.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:38 pm 

i think i've heard this band before, but not enough to stick - the new album seems pretty good, but ultimately after a couple of spins, i'm left feeling like i just heard some less talented people trying to do moonsorrow

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:38 pm 

I'm really enjoying the new album. I've been following the band since their debut and I believe this is their best since The End.

Reply to topic