Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:11 am 

This is Maiden-level of bad-idea (I'm thinking choosing Blaze or the "it's great as it is!" Dance of Death cover). Like Maiden, I hope this is trolling of some kind or buying time as one mentioned, but I was so sure with Dance of Death that they were trolling bootleggers and no way that was the cover and I have learnt my lesson since then.

I was planning to see Priest this summer and take my son for his first heavy metal gig ever, his second favorite band - and this is a real bummer...

edit: Oh, and +1000000 to the Hell comment.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:40 am 

my fav band ever but this is sad...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:22 pm 

Ian's revenge? An entirely bass driven Priest sound?

Who the fuck wants to see 'Priest' with piped-in guitars, loop pedals and no trade-offs? This can only be money-driven and is pathetic considering how much of their sound is entirely based on two fucking guitars. Stupid, stupid shit. And they wonder why Maiden have been the much bigger band for 30 years? It's because they keep on pulling stupid stuff like that.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:09 pm 

Yeah, this is a bad move, Priest basically pioneered the dueling guitars format within a metal context and I don't see them pulling off a live performance without a second guitarist. I already sunk some concert-going money into catching Maiden and Exodus/Testament/Death Angel so I was on the fence about seeing Priest live again, but I may actually skip it in favor of seeing KK's Priest live when they hit the road if my choice is a one-guitar Judas Priest.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:24 pm 

Tipton to get together next to do an album with Downing and call it the Tipton-Downing Conspiracy? That's an attempt at a joke! But anything is possible at this stage.

I have just finished reading Rob Halford's excellent book Confess. That's the most X-rated thing I've read in ages, which might surprise many of you. Innocence is no excuse!

Anyway, it is very clear from Rob's book that he suffered years and years of regret, depression, frustration, loneliness, etc during his time out of Priest. I think that colored and marked him in a very real way. Not every message or lesson which Rob tries to communicate in his book relates to sexuality. This is probably why he will stick with the current Priest forever probably, even as classic era members become thinner and thinner on the ground.

Yes, as some of you said, he is trapped. He has painted himself into a corner. Sooner or later it will just be Rob solo again, but this time he will have the JP name behind him, which seems very important to him. In his book he doesn't or can't or won't distinguish JP the name from JP the people. Will he be satisfied with the Halford guys operating under the JP name? Who knows? Will we?

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:19 pm 

How much time do any of those guys have left though? Will Rob be trying to do Painkiller well into his 70's?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:43 pm 

That's my worry. I can't imagine Rob has too many world tours left in him.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:53 pm 

I need to read that book!

They got another album in them, supposedly. I'll take it. They are diminished to playing smaller venues, as a headliner, anyways, not worried about seeing them now, I've seen them many times.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:53 pm 

If it means I get to hear a 3rd Hell album then I'll be stoked.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:26 pm 

Really strange turn of events. I'm glad I got to see them on their US tour last year. For their age they were phenomenal.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 pm 

Priest will work something out, I'm sure.

laxskinn wrote:
Is it too much wistful thinking to hope that this means Sneap will start up Hell again?

I seem to remember that Kev Bower was having wrist issues and considered his playing days over, selling all his gear.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 pm 

The good news- Sneap is out. The bad news- he'll continue to fuck up good music with his shitty production.

Any chance they're just claiming this to appease Sneap and his, ugh..fans? Then one day they'll come out with a statement like "turns out we do need a second guitarist so we hired so-and-so." I mean some bands are really stupid about dealing with these sort of changes.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:42 pm 

laxskinn wrote:
Is it too much wistful thinking to hope that this means Sneap will start up Hell again?

Almost certainly. I read that Bower has apparently sold off all his gear. Sneap effectively bailed on Hell for the Priest gig, and it caused all sorts of issues within the Hell camp. I guess you can never say never, but it seems like there's a lot of issues to sort out before we'll see that third Hell record.

I wonder if Halford and Hill were reminiscing about some gig in Newcastle back in 1973 they played, when they were a 4 piece, and decided it would be a good idea between themselves to revisit that sound. I can't imagine money being too big a factor here, I mean, it is Judas Priest. If Sneap was asking for too much however, they wouldn't have any problems hiring a touring guitarist that knows all their stuff note for note. None of this makes any sense. It's Judas Fucking Priest, the band that brought the Wishbone Ash twin guitar attack to heavy metal!

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 am 

You know, Priest is really gonna go down in history is the ultimate "Cut off your nose to spite your face" band. Yeah KK is annoying but when it comes to business, original guitar players matter.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:35 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
laxskinn wrote:

Almost certainly. I read that Bower has apparently sold off all his gear. Sneap effectively bailed on Hell for the Priest gig, and it caused all sorts of issues within the Hell camp. I guess you can never say never, but it seems like there's a lot of issues to sort out before we'll see that third Hell record.

I did a Google search for Kevin Bower, gear, Hell and found a forum where Bower himself wrote the following in August 2019. It’s over and out for Hell. :(

Quote:
Hello all,

It's been a while. Such a long while in fact, that I couldn't remember my password - and since my email also changed, I had to re-register. But anyway - a few evenings ago, I was lurking for the first time in a coupla years and this thread brought such a lump to my throat, I just thought it appropriate to reply. It's pretty common knowledge on the board that I had major problems with my left wrist, problems that surgery tried and failed to correct. On top of that (although I won't go into detail) one of the band members found himself in a domestic situation which simply wasn't compatible with recording and touring, so the writing was pretty much on the wall because this guy was our front man and he was irreplaceable. And then - Andy got the gig with Judas Priest which, to be honest, would have killed it anyway. I was (and still am) totally stoked for the guy - because without him, the whole Hell thing would never have happened in the first place.

So after spending so much time throwing my whole heart and soul into this, the only way I could really deal with it was to draw a line in the sand and walk away without a backwards glance. Which is exactly what I did. Yeah, I could have carried on in a bar band or whatever, but my heart just wasn't in it any more, and when you've spent many years driving a Bentley, a beat-up Ford just doesn't cut it. Rightly or wrongly, I've never been a second-best kinda person, and just I took the view that nothing could ever top what I'd already done, and so I decided just to disappear and let the grass grow back over the battlefield. Within a month I'd sold all of my gear and cut my hair off, and just quietly slipped back into the world of being an ordinary carpenter. It was quite a cathartic experience in many ways - I never did the 'famous' thing very well, always feeling super-embarrassed when I had these huge bearded metalheads standing in line at signing sessions, with them trembling and being overwhelmed by the fact that I said 'Hi' to them and shook their hands. Minor fame is a strange thing indeed and I found it awkward to deal with.

But - I was lucky enough to have seen, done and experienced things which most players could only have dreamed of - and for that I'll always feel incredibly lucky. I've toured 27 countries and played on many of Europe and Scandinavia's biggest stages alongside world-class bands, and I had an absolute blast doing it. Of course there are regrets - never hitting either North or South America, giving up #0666 with Mr. Shishkov's passion and skill hanging over me like a great guilty millstone, knowing that a killer 3rd album would never see the light of day - the list is a very, very, very long one.

I'd like to close by thanking everyone on here for your endless support, enthusiasm and encouragement. It always felt like I was part of a family, and for that, I'll always be truly grateful. Thanks for the memories - and here's a bittersweet one which will always stay with me - it's the very first song from our very first album - but also the very last song of our very last show. Take it easy guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQHgP70vtx8

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:04 pm 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
laxskinn wrote:

I did a Google search for Kevin Bower, gear, Hell and found a forum where Bower himself wrote the following in August 2019. It’s over and out for Hell. :(

Quote:
Hello all,

It's been a while. Such a long while in fact, that I couldn't remember my password - and since my email also changed, I had to re-register. But anyway - a few evenings ago, I was lurking for the first time in a coupla years and this thread brought such a lump to my throat, I just thought it appropriate to reply. It's pretty common knowledge on the board that I had major problems with my left wrist, problems that surgery tried and failed to correct. On top of that (although I won't go into detail) one of the band members found himself in a domestic situation which simply wasn't compatible with recording and touring, so the writing was pretty much on the wall because this guy was our front man and he was irreplaceable. And then - Andy got the gig with Judas Priest which, to be honest, would have killed it anyway. I was (and still am) totally stoked for the guy - because without him, the whole Hell thing would never have happened in the first place.

So after spending so much time throwing my whole heart and soul into this, the only way I could really deal with it was to draw a line in the sand and walk away without a backwards glance. Which is exactly what I did. Yeah, I could have carried on in a bar band or whatever, but my heart just wasn't in it any more, and when you've spent many years driving a Bentley, a beat-up Ford just doesn't cut it. Rightly or wrongly, I've never been a second-best kinda person, and just I took the view that nothing could ever top what I'd already done, and so I decided just to disappear and let the grass grow back over the battlefield. Within a month I'd sold all of my gear and cut my hair off, and just quietly slipped back into the world of being an ordinary carpenter. It was quite a cathartic experience in many ways - I never did the 'famous' thing very well, always feeling super-embarrassed when I had these huge bearded metalheads standing in line at signing sessions, with them trembling and being overwhelmed by the fact that I said 'Hi' to them and shook their hands. Minor fame is a strange thing indeed and I found it awkward to deal with.

But - I was lucky enough to have seen, done and experienced things which most players could only have dreamed of - and for that I'll always feel incredibly lucky. I've toured 27 countries and played on many of Europe and Scandinavia's biggest stages alongside world-class bands, and I had an absolute blast doing it. Of course there are regrets - never hitting either North or South America, giving up #0666 with Mr. Shishkov's passion and skill hanging over me like a great guilty millstone, knowing that a killer 3rd album would never see the light of day - the list is a very, very, very long one.

I'd like to close by thanking everyone on here for your endless support, enthusiasm and encouragement. It always felt like I was part of a family, and for that, I'll always be truly grateful. Thanks for the memories - and here's a bittersweet one which will always stay with me - it's the very first song from our very first album - but also the very last song of our very last show. Take it easy guys.

Such a shame. I wouldn't feel so gutted about the whole situation if they'd just done that 3rd album that they often spoke about when I met them at gigs/festivals. And it would've been fucking awesome, I just know it. I think there was still 3 (or maybe 4) old demo tracks that would've hopefully been re-recorded for it, too. Can't they just get together and record the fucking thing, even if they don't tour again? Especially as Andy is no longer busy touring with Priest. At least us fans would buy it and enjoy the fuck out of it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:30 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
You know, Priest is really gonna go down in history is the ultimate "Cut off your nose to spite your face" band. Yeah KK is annoying but when it comes to business, original guitar players matter.

Surely, this adds a lot of credence to KK's claims that Priest have had terrible management for a long time.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:36 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

Surely, this adds a lot of credence to KK's claims that Priest have had terrible management for a long time.

You know what would be genius trolling? If Priest had made an announcement saying that they've found a replacement for Andy than "metal fans know real well....with a moniker of KK" and it turned out to be Kerry King.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:58 pm 

This is a terrible idea.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:06 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
laxskinn wrote:

Quote:
Hello all,

Well that sucks to hear. They always seemed to have such a great time playing live

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

You know what would be genius trolling? If Priest had made an announcement saying that they've found a replacement for Andy than "metal fans know real well....with a moniker of KK" and it turned out to be Kerry King.

Haha, that would be awesome. As a trolling move, I mean - I can't imagine Kerry king fitting in Priest even in the slightest. That said, I could see Downing and King joining forces in a band simply named KK. Perhaps K.K. Warslut could join too.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 am 

mirons wrote:
I can't imagine Kerry king fitting in Priest even in the slightest.

Given that Slayer were essentially sped up Judas Priest and did a cover of Dissident Aggressor, it might not be such an out of place move.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:33 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
mirons wrote:
I can't imagine Kerry king fitting in Priest even in the slightest.

Given that Slayer were essentially sped up Judas Priest and did a cover of Dissident Aggressor, it might not be such an out of place move.

Agreed. I'm just imagining Kerry rocking out, but moving only about half as fast.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:13 pm 

The state of the band is nothing less than embarrassing. KK Downing and Tim Owens have started their own little butthurt version of Priest, Glenn Tipton is technically still there but his presence in the band and his influence on its sound seems be diminishing more and more over time, it's basically become a Halford solo project... Now, for their big 50 year tour, they won't even be able to play their material correctly because they literally don't have the necessary number of parts?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:24 pm 

Holy hell is this ever a HORRIBLE idea.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 pm 

LunarisIsDead wrote:
The state of the band is nothing less than embarrassing. KK Downing and Tim Owens have started their own little butthurt version of Priest, Glenn Tipton is technically still there but his presence in the band and his influence on its sound seems be diminishing more and more over time, it's basically become a Halford solo project... Now, for their big 50 year tour, they won't even be able to play their material correctly because they literally don't have the necessary number of parts?

This perfectly summarizes the current state of the once mighty Priest.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

KK Warslut!!!!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:36 pm 

https://metalanarchy.com/2022/01/15/judas-priest-reverse-decision-to-tour-as-quartet-we-will-continue-our-live-shows-unchanged-as-five-piece/

Looks like they're bringing Sneap back

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:39 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

LOL....I literally posted the same but deleted it upon seeing yours. Odd timing.

Regardless, looks like they caved to the tidal wave of negative criticism over their initial decision.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:02 pm 

Wait, but now their sound is less powerful again...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:21 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Wait, but now their sound is less powerful again...

Hahah. Right.

I’m sure adding him as somehow now made them more powerful than ever
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm 

See, in a pre-internet time we'd get the bootleg footage of a 3-week tour with baffled fans and people booing. This, however, is still amusing. :lol:

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm 

Looks like I called it, except they did this in a week rather than a month. Let it never be said that Priest don't listen to their fans. Metallica and the United States government could learn a thing or a thousand from Priest.

But serious question, I've been thinking about this off and on for a while. Let's say Andy (or Ritchie for that matter) could no longer continue and he needed to be replaced by someone British not named KK Downing. Who would you get?

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:08 pm 

Is this how Sonic fans felt after bullying Paramount and Sega into not making him look like an abomination in the movie? Kinda weird to be asking for the bare minimum but okay fine, we’ll take it.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:48 pm 

I can't imagine the blowback they must have gotten. And hopefully they fired the flack who wrote that "more powerful" as a four piece bullshit.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 pm 

If Halfords Harley had pedals, they be spinning backwards now.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

This is very true. KK should be in there, absolutely, if he is fit and healthy enough to tour and record and he wants to come back. Rob was forgiven for his drink and drugs (before his rehab). Time to show KK some forgiveness.

In more general and historical terms, KaiKasparek is right as well. Priest had the classic four (plus T. Scott) back in 2005. The only way that the reunion could have been more authentic would have been to bring back Les Binks (or Chris "Congo" Campbell, probably the first black guy in the history of English metal).

But the reunion was largely wasted - two full-length albums is all that they produced, if we ignore the disaster of that concept album. And those two albums - AOR and ROS were not as exciting or as brilliant as many had hoped for. Then we got the outstanding Firepower, but from a very different lineup.

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

Business-wise, they're still making plenty of money without KK. And musically, they're dead in the water and have been for years, even back when he was still with them. I really don't know how much having him back would do for them, especially after hearing his own uninspired release last year. At this point it feels like bringing him back would just bring an element of tension to the band without putting much on the table in return.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Priest isn't ever gonna be relevant again, whether or not they have KK. So I'd rather know that Halford and Hill and Tipton are doing their job with people they actually want to do it with, than have them do it with someone they don't, just to appease fans.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 pm 

Musically dead in the water? Did you not read the reviews for "Firepower?"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm 

I couldn't even finish Firepower last time I tried. Just too rote.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next