Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 am 

Black metal band Wiegedood have announced their next album, called "There's Always Blood At The End Of The Road", which will drop on January 14th 2022.

Two singles have been released so far, "Nuages" and "Now Will Always Be". What are your thoughts so far?

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:38 am 

From the press release:

Quote:
As the world circles the abyss at gathering speed, WIEGEDOOD have returned to provide a perfectly vicious soundtrack. Formed in 2014, the Belgian trio have built an unassailable reputation as purveyors of visceral and bleak black metal in its purest and most destructive form. Since unveiling their debut album “De Doden Hebben Het Goed” in 2015, WIEGEDOOD have blazed an unending trail for musical darkness, bolstering their burgeoning notoriety with some of the most apocalyptic live performances in recent memory, and producing two subsequent albums – “De Doden Hebben Het Goed II” and “III”, released in 2017 and 2018 respectively – which hammered home the band’s unique creative powers. Emerging once more, this time from the involuntary solitude of a plague-bound world, WIEGEDOOD are back with their fourth studio album, “There’s Always Blood At The End Of The Road”. A ferocious tour-de-force, born of frustration and the ever-burning flame of hatred for the modern world, the new record marks a significant departure for this most ruthlessly singular of modern metal bands. “Musically I think we’ve made our most uncomfortable record so far. It’s once again faster than anything we’ve done before, and more unforgiving than the whole trilogy combined”, says vocalist/guitarist Levy Seynaeve. “To me, it feels like a soundtrack, for a movie yet to be made. A movie about the filthiest and most disgusting parts of human nature and society, and about the struggle we lead within, trying to overcome the fact we are all made from that same filth.”

Tracklisting:
1. FN SCAR 16
2. And In Old Salamano’s Room, The Dog Whimpered Softly
3. Noblesse Oblige Richesse Oblige
4. Until It Is Not
5. Now Will Always Be
6. Wade
7. Nuages
8. Theft And Begging
9. Carousel

Both of the tracks released so far have official videos:

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

As far as the album is concerned, it looks like they're switching things up: there's more than four tracks this time around. From the singles they've released so far they appear to be experimenting with dissonance a bit more than usual.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:07 pm 

The third single is out:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm 

Listened to the song this morning, I'm liking where this album is going. But at the same time I'm kinda worried about it.

Last edited by EvergreenSherbert on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:25 pm 

That sure was the same riff for four minutes straight.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Well... yeah. But maybe the remaining 6 songs will have more riffs.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Yeah, that track goes nowhere. It ends up being a bit annoying.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:28 pm 

I mean if you're heard any of their previous albums repeating riffs while adding slight variations is part of their M.O. All of the albums in the De Dodden Hebben Het Goed trilogy had at least one song like this.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:31 pm 

I'm hoping for some riffs like the ones in Ontzieling.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:59 pm 

Noted, cheers!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:54 am 

Another single! And no, it isn't any less repetitive than the last.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 am 

Well the song is called Carousel, I think that's intentional. The band says as much:

Quote:
The band comments: “One riff descending round and round into the abyss like a sputtering carousel. Pulling and pushing downwards at the same time.”

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:52 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Well the song is called Carousel, I think that's intentional. The band says as much:

Quote:
The band comments: “One riff descending round and round into the abyss like a sputtering carousel. Pulling and pushing downwards at the same time.”

Yeah, I get the repetition for this one. But it would be nice if it was only that one.

I gotta say, I do like the throat singing. Or whatever the hell technique he's using there.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:45 am 

I always thought they were very repetitive and that was also one of their strengths and or things I liked about them. The first song on their first album is probably still my favorite, kind of a perfect black metal song TBH. The first two albums were damn near perfect and the third had some amazing and savage moments (the last 4 minutes or so of the title track on III is hard to beat). They're obviously trying some new stuff here with an album that actually has a new name. We'll have to see how it plays out.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:48 am 

Yeah, I like the repetition on their previous albums. Those are long songs, with a lot of repeated riffs. But those at least switch between a few different things, so it feels like there's some progression. These songs are all short with absolutely no progression.

But I get the appeal of that, I listen to songs just like that in other genres. But I don't really like it in this specific case.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:06 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I always thought they were very repetitive and that was also one of their strengths and or things I liked about them. The first song on their first album is probably still my favorite, kind of a perfect black metal song TBH. The first two albums were damn near perfect and the third had some amazing and savage moments (the last 4 minutes or so of the title track on III is hard to beat). They're obviously trying some new stuff here with an album that actually has a new name. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Yeah, it was a conscious decision on the band's part to change things up for this album. Levy Seynaeve did a interview recently where he discusses it. Here are a few relevant sections (translated from German via Google Translate):

Quote:
metal.de: Yes, I think it sounds a lot more pissed off than you have sounded in the past. Of course you had aggressive parts in the music before, but not as a big focus. The new album is just a slap in the face.

Levy: Yeah, we wanted to get the nicer parts out. The “De Doden Hebben Het Goed” trilogy was about death, but more about the relaxed elements of finding comfort and redemption in death. But with the latest album it was clear to us that after this phase was over for us we wanted to continue on a different path and it definitely sounds different.

metal.de: “De Doden Hebben Het Goed” was a much more personal matter for you musically, did you have an easier time writing compared to “There's Always Blood At The End Of The Road”? I mean, as far as I can tell, such personal matters have not been included, but still, did the negative emotions from the pandemic somehow affect the album?

Levy: Yes, I think the pandemic was a time when the whole world experienced the same “trauma” at the same time. For us in the band I think it was also a moment of reflection, at least when I speak for myself and it was good to have ended the trilogy. We no longer had to cling to the “formula” we had for these albums and were able to express ourselves creatively. It was nice to have something where we can start all over again together.

There were no more rules, it felt very liberating. Or maybe it was just my listening habits that changed. Five or six years ago I was still very attached to the atmospheric side of Black Metal, today I discovered many other new bands and my taste has simply changed a bit.

In the past, bands like WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM were role models with very sweeping, repetitive riffs, but now I'm more attracted to music that challenges me and where you have to have a certain level of "dedication" to get through very demanding parts and understand everything. And I think that has also flowed into the new album. We don't have a catchy “hit song”, it takes a while before you get through, the melodies are no longer as “nice” as they used to be.

metal.de: You also put a lot of emphasis on more "ritual" aspects, for example the vocalizations that almost went in the direction of larynx singing, which you already had on "Prowler" from the predecessor, but this time much more prominently. So I think the new album is much broader stylistically than you used to be. Would you agree with that

Levy: Yeah, I think so. We are now much more comfortable with certain more experimental approaches than in the past. For us musically it made sense as a new, additional means, without being in any way just random noise, it had to follow the song in the mood, give it more, but at the same time be in line with it, if that somehow made sense.

But the aspect of it, actually the aspect of the whole album, it is the music through these little things, but also the general way of composing, to make it harder to hear. It's the equivalent of holding out our middle finger, asking us to "fight" your way through the album. It's not supposed to be nice to hear. It's supposed to hurt. There is a good riff coming up, but you have to torment your way through weird stuff beforehand to hear it.

metal.de: As a band you can probably no longer hear that, but comparisons to other bands are usually inevitable in certain styles and you already said that the old albums were more atmospheric Black Metal in the style of WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM has stood. I think the latest album is more of a mishmash and a much stronger Black Thrash influence, there are parts that remind me of bands like DESASTER or MARDUK or URFAUST, I think the new album is much more diverse than the old ones, but also somehow more direct. At the same time there are more experiments, the album is more stubborn, less pleasing, there are many different moods. Would you agree with that

Levy: Yeah, that was exactly what we were working towards, great that you see it that way too! We wanted to broaden our sound, our horizons a little, without, of course, simply creating a senseless sequence, so basically the old atmospheric Black Metal in one song, then more aggressively in the next song or something. We wanted to achieve more of a blend of different styles and moods both in the songs themselves and in the album as a whole. I'm glad if you think we did it!

Source: https://www-metal-de.translate.goog/interviews/wiegedood-interview-2-433168/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:19 pm 

Quote:
There is a good riff coming up, but you have to torment your way through weird stuff beforehand to hear it.

lol, fuck that. Life is too short to have to torment your way through an album to occassionally hear something interesting.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 pm 

Absolutely loving the track "Until It Is Not". Really digging most of the album. I love the hypnotic nature of the repetition.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:47 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Absolutely loving the track "Until It Is Not". Really digging most of the album. I love the hypnotic nature of the repetition.

That was my favorite too. The album was so much better than I thought it was gonna be.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:53 pm 

Yeah, the album is not a disappointment by any means. Sure, there's a lot of repetition, but the riffs are killer so I don't really care, and they change things up around them so it doesn't really get boring at any point. Hard to choose a favourite track, but for my money it's probably Theft and Begging.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:06 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
The third single is out:

That's about the sickest video I've seen in a long time.

I only very recently discovered this band but they're right up my alley, and no, I don't care that it was repetitive.

I've heard stuff of theirs where they switched it up more, but that intensity is enough to the point where they can have some super minimalistic tracks and I'm fine with it.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:41 am 

yeah that video was really something...

i also only just checked these guys out - for some reason i always thought they were some kind of atmospheric folky bm, so listening to the new album was quite a surprise, and a positive one at that. the repetition works wonders when done this well

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:51 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
jimbies wrote:

That was my favorite too. The album was so much better than I thought it was gonna be.

100% agree with both of these statements. Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say. I didn't listen to the teaser tracks very carefully, and just waited for the album as a whole. It's quite good.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:56 pm 

I keep reading the bandname as "wedgiedude." Apparently it translates into some mad edgy shit about dead babies.

The singles sound cool but I don't think they work especially well on their own. I see this album being something akin to Transilvanian Hunger where all the songs sound their best in sequence on the album. I might check the full album out so long as it isn't super long.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:48 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
I keep reading the bandname as "wedgiedude."

That's a killer sig right there :lol:

TheLoneForest wrote:
Boomerism off the mf charts

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:17 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
I keep reading the bandname as "wedgiedude."

That's a killer sig right there :lol:

Free for the taking! Knock yourself out anyone who wants that as their signature; I'd be honoured.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:38 pm 

That exact "joke" has come up in pretty much every discussion of the band :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117057&p=2719780&hilit=wedgie#p2719780

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
That exact "joke" has come up in pretty much every discussion of the band :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117057&p=2719780&hilit=wedgie#p2719780

Sorry for not trawling through 4 years worth of threads to make sure I wasn't stealing someone else's joke on a band I found out about just today. In future I promise to only make fun of their music, not their terrible bandname. :lol:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:30 am 

Does anyone have the lyrics? Like, a booklet or something? They didn't release them anywhere, and I'd love to read them.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:50 am 

First I’ve ever heard of this band. The riffcraft on this album is excellent, from top to bottom, but especially on “Until It Is Not”. The droning repetition is used to good effect in the context of the album as a whole.

Vocals, eh, take ‘em or leave ‘em. The throat singing is a good idea that is implemented well, but the conventional BM screeching is almost parody. Easily ignorable though, so they don’t detract from the overall listening experience. They probably could benefit from a different harsh vocal approach going forward.

All said, glad I gave this band a chance-I enjoyed the hell out this record. Will have to deep dive into the back catalog now.
Obliteration

Reply to topic