Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm 

American folk/black metallers Falls of Rauros will release their sixth full length, Key to a Vanishing Future, through Gilead Media (North America) and Eisenwald (Europe) on March 25, 2022. From the press release:

Quote:
Today, Eisenwald & Gilead Media are pleased to announce the sixth full-length album of Falls of Rauros, entitled "Key to a Vanishing Future".

Based out of Portland, Maine, Falls of Rauros have continued to expand and elaborate on what has developed into their characteristic sound since their formation as a two-piece in 2005. Having expanded into a fully-realized and collaborative quartet, the band's sound is both immersive and immediately impactful, with rich detail and sonic textures that warrant repeat listens throughout their discography.
Intent on exploring the common ground between black metal, rock, and folk music, the group’s collective goal is not to build bridges to connect disparate genres but to chisel the raw materials of each into something seamless and new. For 15 years, the band has quietly honed their craft in the seaside city of Portland, Maine, far from the noise of the country’s more storied metropolises, occasionally punctuating their periods of reclusivity with sparse touring throughout the United States and Canada for select live appearances. Falls of Rauros' latest release "Key to a Vanishing Future", which is scheduled for release through Eisenwald in 2022, features yet another set of forward-thinking compositions from a band that refuses to remain idle. Devoid of any fan service or nostalgic tributes to genre conventions, "Key to a Vanishing Future" is the most intricate and exploratory work of the band’s career, while at the same time managing to be their most visceral and immediate sonic creation.

While not a concept album in the traditional sense, all of Falls of Rauros' work is bound by the exploration of a unifying theme. As pertains to "Key to a Vanishing Future", the underlying concept explored is based on the fact that humans are born into this world without consent and forced to take on both the weight of human history and responsibility for shaping the future. Both the failures and successes of previous generations are passed to the next, and the younger generation has no choice but to inherit the world they are given. Tradition, religion, debt, disease, addiction, the histrionics of desperate people living in a crumbling empire; all of these things wedge their way into our lives whether we invite them to or not. As such, the album's lyrics explore the idea of obligatory inheritance.

Musically, "Key to a Vanishing Future" is an intended departure from the sounds explored throughout the band's back catalog, while still retaining characteristics inherent to Falls of Rauros. Never content to make the same album twice, the group has once again invited new influences into their aesthetic, this time including more explicit nods to death metal and prog rock while still drilling deeper into the black metal and North American folk-rock that makes up their core sound. This is once again their heaviest album to date, as well as their most technically demanding. The album was recorded by the band themselves in their rehearsal space in late 2020/early 2021, befitting of the natural and organic sound pursued for the album, while mixing and mastering duties were handled by Colin Marston. The striking artwork was created by Austin Lunn (Panopticon). Photography by Drew Buerhaus.

To be released in various formats through Eisenwald (Europe) and Gilead Media (North-America) on March 25th, with vinyl coming at a later point in 2022.

Tracklisting:
1. Clarity
2. Desert of Heart
3. Survival Poem
4. Known World Narrows
5. Daggers In Floodlight
6. Poverty Hymn

Clarity has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

This should be an interesting one. There has been a marked evolution in Falls Rauros' sound over the years and this new album should be no different. The first single has a fair amount of prog influence and I think it's a cool route for them to explore.

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 pm 

I am a fan of Falls but I tend to prefer the folkier side rather than the proggy side. Clarity didn't exactly hit me right. I will still be looking forward to the album to see what the other tracks are like, and maybe that first one will grow on me.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:02 am 

Wow, that first single was great! I think it's cool that they're exploring some new territory. I like their Agallochian origins too, but as great as it was it's tough to continue that vibe without sounding like a copycat. Fen was a band in that category who did a remarkable job at treading new ground and developing their own signature sound, and it seems like Falls Of Rauros may be doing that now as well. Will keep an eye out for this one when it drops!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:13 pm 

Here's a new single:

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:36 pm 

like both tracks so far. doing something a bit different by the sounds of it
still hard to beat those first lines on 'earths old timid grace'

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:38 pm 

I like this one too!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:31 am 

The full album stream is up:

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:52 pm 

I listened once all the way through last night and it's solid. Definitely their most progressive thus far but it also resonates emotionally. Well done!

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:13 pm 

Sick, hyped to hear this one once I get some free time. My partner has been super excited about this for a while.

Reply to topic