* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:28 pm 

From Tony Martin's facebook:

Quote:
"So I got a call from Tony Iommi's manager ... it seems there is now a record deal for my era of Sabbath albums !!!.... so It looks like a re-issue is actually going to happen!!! There could be a LOT of "Tony Martin" around this year! .... Sorry about that! "

https://www.themetalvoice.com/post/tony-iommi-s-management-working-on-re-issue-of-tony-martin-s-black-sabbath-era-w-record-deal?fbclid=IwAR3CB4VGQxuAS2pJq3i94LM7gMj-frpdgmwc6UVDS9cPDT9csdEJ2KUr4L8

Cool beans.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:33 pm 

This pleases me.

Headless Cross shall finally be mine, and maybe it'll be added to Spotify as well!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:35 pm 

The Martin Sabbath albums are some of the longest running illegal downloads I still have, so it'll be good to buy some of those for sure.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:54 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
This pleases me.

Headless Cross shall finally be mine, and maybe it'll be added to Spotify as well!

I'm looking forward to them being remastered (I haven't seen reports of being remasters but can't imagine they wouldn't be). I know remastering as a concept is about as popular as Lulu on these boards, but the sound is so weak on Headless Cross in particular.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
This pleases me.

I'm looking forward to them being remastered (I haven't seen reports of being remasters but can't imagine they wouldn't be). I know remastering as a concept is about as popular as Lulu on these boards, but the sound is so weak on Headless Cross in particular.

Huh, don't remember it being weak on the vinyl I have.. was a few years ago tho.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:57 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
This pleases me.

Huh, don't remember it being weak on the vinyl I have.. was a few years ago tho.

Don't know about the vinyl, but I got it on CD.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:10 pm 

I've got all the Martin Sabbath albums on CD but the prospect of my friends getting them along with them FINALLY going up on streaming services is only a good thing. His new solo album is also pretty good so I can only hope this'll be a good year for him all around.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:19 pm 

Finally. Can't wait to pick these up.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:09 pm 

Got ‘em all- but will re-buy in solidarity

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm 

Awesome. The Martin era Sabbath material never really got a fair shake so it's about time that was remedied.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:20 pm 

Would love these on vinyl.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 pm 

I have Headless Cross but I'm pretty sure it's a Russian bootleg. Would love to get them all officially.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:12 am 

damn so I have limited time to feel good about finding an O.G. CD of Headless Cross at the store recently.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:41 am 

Don't think this needs a separate thread but there was a time where Martin met Dio.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tony-martin-recalls-meeting-ronnie-james-dio-i-thought-maybe-he-was-gonna-hit-me/

"So he walked over, and he just stared at me. And I thought maybe he was gonna hit me or something; he just stared. And I was trying to explain. I said, 'Ronnie, I love what you do, man. I'm a big fan.' And I said, 'You're a hard act to follow.' And he said, 'Good,' and walked off. "

....you know everyone makes Ronnie out to be this all around class guy, but that was kind of a dick move. It's not like Martin was the one telling the engineers to turn the vocals and drums down.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 am 

markhebb wrote:
Got ‘em all- but will re-buy in solidarity

Me too. I can give my copies to my old man. He got me into Ozzy Sabbath and I got him into almost all of the other eras, so I know he'd appreciate them.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:

....you know everyone makes Ronnie out to be this all around class guy, but that was kind of a dick move. It's not like Martin was the one telling the engineers to turn the vocals and drums down.

This is also the guy, who, at old age told an interviewer that he hoped Vivian Campbell would fucking die. It's obvious that Dio (like plenty of musicians, of course!) had quite an ego. My guess is that he was kind to people who wouldn't bother him, but when people would, you'd see another side of him.

Here's the link to the interview in case you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo

But yeah, it's almost unbelievable that these reissues haven't come out earlier, even. Pretty crazy if you think about it.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:37 am 

In_Zane wrote:
This pleases me.

I've only had a torrent/watching the songs on youtube for the Martin stuff, and (especially HC) its all great music, but the guitar sounds so weak on that album you'd barely know its Iommi. The sound in general just doesn't really sound like Sabbath. I don't know enough about the recording/production/mastering process whatsoever but if they can fix that it'd be incredible. It's odd that the Sabbath outlier in Seventh Star which isn't really a Sabbath album was the last one that didn't sound somewhat off.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
This pleases me.

I've only had a torrent/watching the songs on youtube for the Martin stuff, and (especially HC) its all great music, but the guitar sounds so weak on that album you'd barely know its Iommi. The sound in general just doesn't really sound like Sabbath. I don't know enough about the recording/production/mastering process whatsoever but if they can fix that it'd be incredible. It's odd that the Sabbath outlier in Seventh Star which isn't really a Sabbath album was the last one that didn't sound somewhat off.

You don’t like the guitar tone on Eternal Idol?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 am 

I have all of those on first japanese pressing CD's but in this case I will re-buy them just to show my support. The Martin-era was ignored or spit upon for far too long. I generally despise remastering of all kinds but I hope in this case it will be done tastefully and there a lot of bonuses. Just hope they do not release those in digipacks because this would be a deal breaker.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:36 am 

Zdan wrote:
I have all of those on first japanese pressing CD's but in this case I will re-buy them just to show my support. The Martin-era was ignored or spit upon for far too long. I generally despise remastering of all kinds but I hope in this case it will be done tastefully and there a lot of bonuses. Just hope they do not release those in digipacks because this would be a deal breaker.

Really? For me it's a dealbreaker if it comes in jewelcases, as I despise them and only buy digipacks (some exceptions exist).

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:45 am 

In_Zane wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Really? For me it's a dealbreaker if it comes in jewelcases, as I despise them and only buy digipacks (some exceptions exist).

Digipacks are the bane of a collector. First if you order them from abroad they famously get handled - in my case by the Polish - by your country's post office. This is the crux of the issue - if they get broken you are fucked. Only thing you can buy is another copy. With jewelcases if it has some sort of damage you just throw it out and get another case. Plus I vastly prefer jewelcases for aesthetic reasons.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:18 am 

Zdan wrote:
Digipacks are the bane of a collector. First if you order them from abroad they famously get handled - in my case by the Polish - by your country's post office. This is the crux of the issue - if they get broken you are fucked. Only thing you can buy is another copy. With jewelcases if it has some sort of damage you just throw it out and get another case. Plus I vastly prefer jewelcases for aesthetic reasons.

Ah, I understand.. I only buy digipacks, and I've (luckily) never had an issue. I do get jewelcases if theres slipcase on it, as I think it just looks nicer as a digipack or slipcase.. I think the plastics on a jewelcase looks crappy.

Each to their own. :D

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:25 am 

Heh I went as far as NOT buying a certain album if it is released in digipack form only. There is so much music out there I can skip some releases ;)

What I am hoping for in the case of these Martin-era Sabbath releases are some live bonus recordings - preferably at least a whole show :)

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:04 am 

I totally relate to the jewel case vs digipak conflict, but I'd rather have a digipack than those slip packages where the CD is half the width of a proper CD case, fucking up the spacing in the record collection, or worse, larger than a normal CD where it can't fit on the shelf at all. That happened with the latest version of King Diamond's The Eye and I'm still salty.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:14 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:
I totally relate to the jewel case vs digipak conflict, but I'd rather have a digipack than those slip packages where the CD is half the width of a proper CD case, fucking up the spacing in the record collection, or worse, larger than a normal CD where it can't fit on the shelf at all. That happened with the latest version of King Diamond's The Eye and I'm still salty.

Those can go and rot in hell for all I care. Hate hate hate that kind of packing. As far as King Diamond I only for first pressing anyhow.

I wish the Tony Martin reissue would be done in proper 2CD jewelcases with an added show for each one (from the tour of the album).

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:31 pm 

Slight bit of update.

The takeaways that weren't in the OP are basically they will be released in a box set and not individually, and it will be released in 2022.

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/black-sabbath-will-release-a-tony-martin-era-box-set-this-year?fbclid=IwAR0r_PQsW9_F4UahPJ2AN1-rI7k4h2-jtJotY8yQ3HnHesZTdU-RPfxnvnk

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:12 pm 

I wonder what label they have releasing them? Perhaps a Rhino deal like some of the Dio era stuff?

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:22 pm 

Considering how little attention this era has received, it would be wise to include as much bonus material as they can. I would really like to hear remastered versions of the songs written for Dehumanizer before Dio was brought in. A good portion of that album was written with Martin in mind, one can easily hear it by just listening.

Great news otherwise, considering my favorite singer/era of Sabbath is the Martin era.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:29 pm 

As said - they need to make this a completionist/collector's wet dream. Include the b-sides, the demos of Dehumanizer, a DVD of Cross Purposes live, and at least one GOOD sounding live show.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:37 am 

Finally!

I've already got all the Tony Martin era albums on both tape and CD (except Cross Purposes which I'm missing on CD), but I'd love to own them on remastered vinyl too.
Would be really interesting to also hear some outtakes, demos and other stuff like Zdan said.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:30 am 

The Cross Purposes re-release had better have the Japanese only bonus track- a banger!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:04 am 

Luvers wrote:
Considering how little attention this era has received, it would be wise to include as much bonus material as they can. I would really like to hear remastered versions of the songs written for Dehumanizer before Dio was brought in. A good portion of that album was written with Martin in mind, one can easily hear it by just listening.

Great news otherwise, considering my favorite singer/era of Sabbath is the Martin era.

I think those of you saying things like this aren't thinking of this from a business perspective. Considering how little attention this era has received is exactly WHY there won't be a trove of bonus material, if any at all. That's why the plan is one boxset. At this point Iommi is a mega star and has had the vast majority of his career on major labels, and the last album he released, 13, debuted at number 1 in the UK. There's probably smaller labels that would love to do what you guys are proposing, but Iommi would probably scoff at what those labels would offer him. Conversely, the types of labels Iommi is used to dealing with, larger labels, don't want to take a huge risk and release a shit ton of discs worth of unpopular material to have it sit on shelves on collect dust. And finding a record deal that Iommi wants to take is most likely why this process has taken so long with no updates, so finding a deal suitable both for business as well as the Martin-Sabbath nut is not going to come easily, if at all.

That said, I think it MAY be possible that if the Boxset sells really well, that future deluxe editions with bonus discs may happen in the future. The Ozzy era reissues started with the box set, then they started getting mult-disc deluxe editions with lots of bonus material. The Dio era reissues started with a box set, and then eventually they all got their own deluxe editions with bonus live discs. I think it may not be out of the realm of possibility for this to happen with the Martin era, but they need to test the waters with the inexpensive route of a simple no-bonus boxset first (I'm just assuming no bonus, as that's how the Ozzy era and Dio era boxsets were).

Reply to topic