Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:11 pm 

It’s just been announced on the official Testament Facebook page that Gene has parted ways with the band. That sucks, though looking forward for some Dark Angel stuff.
Info: https://m.facebook.com/photo?fbid=48321 ... 8161737886

Last edited by MetalManiaCometh on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:22 pm 

Considering that Gene’s stated reason that he’s just too busy and in-demand as a drummer-for-hire to commit the amount of time needed to Testament as a primary band has been clearly demonstrative since he’s taken numerous tours with them off due to other commitments, I’ve no reason to disbelieve him.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:38 pm 

Dark Angel has also been sharing this, I'm taking that as a good sign something's finally moving forward with them.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 pm 

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
...and this has nothing to do with the whole cancer treatment months ago.
Info: https://m.facebook.com/photo?fbid=48321 ... 8161737886

This is news to me.

But yeah, I just came here after seeing his own Facebook post. Sucks as a Testament fan, but as a Gene fan, I'm excited to see what's coming.

Gene Hoglan wrote:
For immediate release
It’s been a great ten years folks, and now it’s time for me to move on from the mighty Testament. It merely comes down to the fact that schedules can be challenging to align for in-demand dudes like yours truly.
I wish Chuck, Eric, Alex and Stevie D the absolute best of luck as they will continue to crush as always.
I’m moving into an exciting new chapter of my career and free agency, with all that it will entail.
I’ll freely admit, I’m psyched. And I’m greatly looking forward to all the new opportunities the coming months and years are looking to bring, and again I wish my friends and family in Testament and their crew a fantastic future and all the best in ‘22 and beyond.
Thank you gentlemen, for a great ride together.
Gene

https://www.facebook.com/GeneHoglanOffi ... 2634966349

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:00 pm 

Dude streams on Twitch 3-4 hours every single day. Is that what he's too busy with?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Dude streams on Twitch 3-4 hours every single day. Is that what he's too busy with?

Don't exactly know how big his audience is, but that might actually have at least a bit to do with it. Why cram yourself into a van with 4 other dudes to promote the umpteenth Testament album when you make as much if not more streaming yourself playing? Especially at his age.

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:16 pm 

motorsport wrote:
This is news to me.

But yeah, I just came here after seeing his own Facebook post. Sucks as a Testament fan, but as a Gene fan, I'm excited to see what's coming.

And I just realized I mixed up Tom Hunting’s cancer battle with Gene for some reason. A little revisionism will fix that.

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:40 pm 

I doubt whether or not a new Dark Angel album is even gonna be worth it at this point. It's been 12 fucking years, Don Doty isn't the vocalist, and Time Does Not Heal sucked anyway. I would have just stayed with Testament.

Maybe he got cringed out by Skolnick's blooming hip hop career, yo.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:41 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Dark Angel has also been sharing this, I'm taking that as a good sign something's finally moving forward with them.

Fuck I hope so. Genes talent has been abdolutely wasted in the creatively redundant Testament.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:48 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
I doubt whether or not a new Dark Angel album is even gonna be worth it at this point. It's been 12 fucking years, Don Doty isn't the vocalist, and Time Does Not Heal sucked anyway. I would have just stayed with Testament.

But...but Time Does Not Heal is better than every single Testament album after Practice What You Preach.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Maybe he got cringed out by Skolnick's blooming hip hop career, yo.

I listened to the Bandcamp song he put up, it fits with the solo jazz/funk stuff he's done musically. It's also very clearly not that serious. Thrash-style gang shouts sound bad in a rap song though ngl.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:53 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

But...but Time Does Not Heal is better than every single Testament album after Practice What You Preach.

I'm gonna go a step further MOTA and say Time Does Not Heal is better than any Testament album.

Oh, and I couldn't give a shit about Don. Ron's fuckin awesome.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:13 pm 

Time Does Not Heal just never clicked with me as an album. Though I love the first two tracks a lot. I’d say Testament’s “Low” is better than that one.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:15 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

I'm gonna go a step further MOTA and say Time Does Not Heal is better than any Testament album.

Oh, and I couldn't give a shit about Don. Ron's fuckin awesome.

Not a bad take by my standards :-D

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:30 pm 

There's a Dark Angel album coming this year, isn't there?
Last time I saw Testament they had both Gene and Steve DiGiorgio, who were also with Death to All. That's an unbeatable rhythm section right there.

TheLoneForest wrote:
Boomerism off the mf charts

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 pm 

Here's hoping this is a sign that Dark Angel is finally ready to roll.

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:15 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

Found Ultraboris.

Time Does Not Heal is 40 minutes too long and Ron's vocals are really annoying. Testament made albums better than it before AND after Practice What You Preach. They are....The Legacy and Low. Fuck even The New Order is better than TDNH and that album actually IS overrated.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:16 pm 

So, who could be the replacement? Paul Bostaph?

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:36 pm 

Helvede wrote:

I read the comments on blabbermouth, a whole bunch of people are saying Dave Lombardo. If the overpriced Misftis reunion tour is over, he might as well rejoin Testament. But the really interesting suggestion was Chris Adler. Megadeth made an awesome album with Adler, why can't Testament?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:39 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Helvede wrote:

I read the comments on blabbermouth, a whole bunch of people are saying Dave Lombardo. If the overpriced Misftis reunion tour is over, he might as well rejoin Testament. But the really interesting suggestion was Chris Adler. Megadeth made an awesome album with Adler, why can't Testament?

All of those would be good choices. Maybe Jon Dette? He was in Testament a couple of times already.

Last edited by Zdan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 pm 

Definitely not a bad take mate. The first 3 Testament albums are awesome, it's just that Time Does Not Heal is awesomer.
As a side note, Souls Of Black is incredibly average tho, so obviously rushed to coincide with the Clash Of The Titans tour. It amazes me some of the ratings popping up for this one here lately, only 2 really good songs on it, the title tack and The Legacy... I spose it might've been a cool EP if they chose the best 4 or 5 songs. 6/10

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:52 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Found Ultraboris.

Time Does Not Heal is 40 minutes too long and Ron's vocals are really annoying. Testament made albums better than it before AND after Practice What You Preach. They are....The Legacy and Low. Fuck even The New Order is better than TDNH and that album actually IS overrated.

Nope... just fuckin nope.

As much as I like (old) Testament, the truth is they were just chasing Metallica.

What does "Found Ultraboris" even mean? By the way I see he gave Time Does Not Heal 90%, which is short by 10% IMO.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Helvede wrote:

Just a average thrash metal drummer will do, no need to waste anybody good on them. Hopefully Lombardo stays with Suicidals, he's starting to find his groove with them.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:05 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:

Definitely not a bad take mate. The first 3 Testament albums are awesome, it's just that Time Does Not Heal is awesomer.
As a side note, Souls Of Black is incredibly average tho, so obviously rushed to coincide with the Clash Of The Titans tour. It amazes me some of the ratings popping up for this one here lately, only 2 really good songs on it, the title tack and The Legacy... I spose it might've been a cool EP if they chose the best 4 or 5 songs. 6/10

agreed. that album is the title track, Malpractice, and The Legacy. the rest of it is perfectly serviceable but uninteresting thrash metal. it was very obviously shat out in a rush to coincide with a tour. given the production process for The Brotherhood of the Snake, this seems to be a pattern for Testament.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 pm 

Gene is one of those career band-hopping guys who I always lose track of which band or bands he is currently with. Sort of like Steve DiGeorgio, who has played bass for just about every band you can name under the sun (including Testament.) Okay maybe I exaggerate, Steve hasn't played with Iron Maiden yet.

Testament ceased to interest me after "The New Order," as everything they did after that came across as frustratingly average to me. Though Alex is undeniably a great player. Dark Angel- same thing, after "Leave Scars" which wasn't quite as good as "Darkness Descends" anyway. "Time does not Heal" is still a pretty good album though, even though I never really warmed to it.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:
Helvede wrote:

Just a average thrash metal drummer will do, no need to waste anybody good on them. Hopefully Lombardo stays with Suicidals, he's starting to find his groove with them.

I hope Lombardo stays with ST too! Definitely the most fun work he has done in years.
I liked the drummer on Low, would love to see him back.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:34 am 

Um, no. The Gathering is peak Testament thanks in part to Lombardo. TDNH pales next to it.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 am 

^The Gathering is a fuckin great album, Testaments last great album for sure. Better than Time Does Not Heal? Fuck no. Time Does Not Heal reaches a level of darkness and intenstity that few bands have ever reached or ever will reach.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Don't exactly know how big his audience is, but that might actually have at least a bit to do with it. Why cram yourself into a van with 4 other dudes to promote the umpteenth Testament album when you make as much if not more streaming yourself playing? Especially at his age.

Not to mention that there is still a pandemic going on and that musicians (and artists in general) have had it rough, dealing with even more uncertainties then they are used to, with shows/tours being cancelled, rescheduled, sanitary measures changing constantly. Can't blame the guy for doing something that gives him a steadier income and some kind of routine. Plus, he is still part of 5 other active bands.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:07 am 

So Gene confirmed there will be a new Dark Angel album out next year on a Twitch stream. It's one of the reasons he left Testament:

Quote:
"We're in the process of [making a new album]. That's actually one of the reasons I can't be doing Testament stuff this year. Because, [with] Dark Angel, we are writing a record, we are moving forward... just a week-and-a-half ago, two weeks ago, I just had Mr. Eric Meyer from Dark Angel in this room. We were jamming it out, we wrote a new Dark Angel song. I've been moving forward with writing, we have gigs coming up, so this year, it won't be heavily, heavily, heavily Dark Angel, but now that my schedule's open, I can commit a little harder to some Dark Angel gigs. We do intend to be in the studio before the end of this year. So I have a lot of work a head of me, and so does Jim Durkin, he's been sending over songs, riffs, stuff like that, super exciting. We're all of the same mindset of making this just, the most absolutely kick-ass Dark Angel record that we can."

Tulcakelume
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:49 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
So Gene confirmed there will be a new Dark Angel album out next year on a Twitch stream.

That's good news in and of itself! Although I'm a bit weary of a new album, it's been almost ten years since they last reunited and they're still "jamming it out" to come up with new songs. At least that's what I get from the wording of that annoucement.
I expected they would already have a bunch of (demo) songs developed over the years, despite their limited rehearsal time. But who knows, that might be the case and this is just me reading too much into it.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:35 pm 

Maybe Gene will shuffle the deck a bit and the album will be very much surprising.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:07 pm 

My wish is that they would go the Darkness Descends/Leave Scars path. Why? Simple. I think every effort to try to top or even compete with Time Does Not Heal is bound to fail. Just go for a face melting riffage attack to the face and do not think how many of these riffs can you cram inside the album.

Judas Maiden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:42 pm 

I remember the first time Gene left Testament back in the late '90s, he was having dinner with Chuck and Eric and that's when he dropped the bomb on them. I hope he didn't leave that way this time.

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:54 pm 

Not sure I care about Dark Angel without Don Doty. Reinheart's a bit inconsistent as a vocalist, and frankly Time Does Not Heal is 30 minutes too long.

Do people even still care about Dark Angel? I'd question whether or not even Ultraboris gives a shit at this point.

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:59 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Not sure I care about Dark Angel without Don Doty. Reinheart's a bit inconsistent as a vocalist, and frankly Time Does Not Heal is 30 minutes too long.

Do people even still care about Dark Angel? I'd question whether or not even Ultraboris gives a shit at this point.

A good album is always good. No amount of time will pass that is gonna make "The Burning of Sodom" suck

Now, do I care about current, reunion Dark Angel? Let's see how it sounds live, I guess.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:46 pm 

I cannot stand Reinheart as a vocalist. Monotone shit. But I think the only DA album I've ever really liked was Darkness Descends. I bought Time first and it took me years to go back and get DD, which is so much better in every way. Time is overlong, drawn out, boring, and full of those horrid vocals.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:00 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

Don Doty has been gone from DA since '87 and it doesn't look like he's done anything too serious, music-wise, since then. The new album isn't gonna live or die by his presence or lack thereof. Besides, I highly doubt he could give a performance like the one on Darkness Descends nowadays, I just can't see a guy in his mid fifties matching that sheer level of intensity the original record has.

On an unrelated note, I have foolishly have supremely high expectations for the new album since they claimed that they've been writing it since about 2015 or so, and if you give good songwriters seven-ish years to write an album the end result has gotta be pretty good right?

Also, it will be interesting to see whether they take a DD/Leave Scars type of approach or a TDNH approach or do something completely different entirely. I will say that if they do try and follow up TDNH straight up it'll be interesting to see how they fare without Brett Eriksen who is all over the songwriting credits for that record.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:51 pm 

For what it's worth, there was an interview with Gene some years back where he said Jim's favorite album is TDNH and Ron's favorite song is "Pain's Invention, Madness."

But this is also a band that's never repeated themselves, and there's no reason to start now. Maybe this new album will be their fan-pleaser like "Surgical Steel" was with Carcass, but I wouldn't expect any sharp turns or facsimiles.

Also, Don doesn't sound very good lately, anyway. Look up Eliminate.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:50 am 

I'd welcome a new Dark Angel album although I would not expect much. But I would be very curious to hear what Gene would write these days.

I would however KILL for a Dark Angel concert. I've seen the Chile live show and although Ron and the rest of the band are noticeably less energetic on stage (to put it mildly), the result was more than good enough for me.

Time Does Not Heal is my least favorite DA album because of the vocals but I LOVE Leave Scars...

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:16 pm 

Leave Scars is fucking phenomenal and some days I like it even more than DD. Ron’s vocals on that one are great. But I’m not a fan of that approach he took on TDNH. I do love the first two songs on that record for some reason though haha. And I can see why Rob’s favorite is Pain’s Invention, Madness. What a phenomenal piece of music that one is.

Don Doty was fine and did nothing to hurt the monster that is DD but I liked Ron’s Leave Scars performance a bit more. More frenzied or something. But they should of not turned his vocals up so fucking loud lol.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next