Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AJManiac666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:27 am 

Hi all! Wanted to make another fun topic here. I would like to know what're your favorite labels here?
I go on for my own list here

1. Mausoleum Records (pure quality heavy metal)

2. Metal Blade Records (another great label)

3. Enigma (standard heavy metal label)

4. Neat Records (The best label for NWOBHM)

5. Megaforce Records (Great label for Thrash Metal)

How about yours?

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:35 am 

Northern Silence Productions
Nordvis Productions
Season of Mist
Eisenwald
Depths of Void
Phobia!

Last edited by In_Zane on Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:05 am 

Probably Hellhound Records for the bevy of fantastic doom metal released in the early-mid 90s

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:08 am 

Malicious Records
Deathlike Silence Productions
Head Not Found

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:17 am 

Earache Records
Metal Blade Records
Noise Records
Roadrunner Records

All the above put out some fantastic stuff during the 1980s and 1990s.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:32 am 

Moonfog and Equilibrium Music.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:52 am 

Relapse Records has been one of my favorites ever since I started getting into extreme music, just so many classic releases within death/grind and a really refreshing willingness to sign non-metal artists that maintain an experimental/extreme ethos. Obviously their heyday was from the 90's to the early/mid 00's but I still think there's so many great bands they currently have signed. This isn't an uncommon opinion but I think Dark Descent and 20 Buck Spin are two of the best labels in terms of their current roster, some of the best death metal of the past few years.

Historically, Peaceville had a great mix of some black metal and doom heavy hitters, and I'm not sure if you can beat 90's Roadrunner-- Sepultura, Obituary, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Suffocation, Gorguts, the first Immolation album, Type O Negative-- c'mon!

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:17 pm 

Profound Lore
Transcending Obscurity
Eisenwald
Season of Mist
Bindrune
and Prophecy Productions

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:37 pm 

Of the really big labels Metal Blade has probably been the most consistent in terms of quality year after year. Aside from their big name bands (King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Armored Saint, Fates Warning, Cirith Ungol, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, The Black Dahlia Murder etc.) they've also released great albums from up and coming bands like Visigoth, Hamferd, Iotunn, Cult of Lilith, Demon Head, Lik and more. They've also recently signed some great bands like Cryptic Shift and Wake so they've still got their ears to the underground.

Nuclear Blast is not exactly what it once was, especially after being sold to Believe and the whole drama with Markus Staiger leaving to start Atomic Fire, but they've still got a fairly strong stable of bands. They've also made some decent signings recently with Gatecreeper, Septicflesh, Watain and a couple of others, but they're a much more conservative label that doesn't really seem to be in touch with the current trends these days.

Century Media seems to have moved back towards the underground in many ways, especially when it comes to all of the OSDM revival bands they've signed. They also seem to have a keen eye on developments in the underground in general given that they've picked up bands from labels like Dark Descent, 20 Buck Spin, Profound Lore, Van Records and Shadow Kingdom Records to name a few. Someone at the label also seems to be a huge fan of 90s Swedish melodic black metal because they have almost every single major Swedish meloblack band on their roster with the exceptions of Mork Gryning, Lord Belial and Vinterland.

Season of Mist, to no one's surprise, are focusing mainly on black metal at the moment, signing bands like Woods of Desolation and Darkspace. In general they're definitely good if you're looking for good black or death metal releases, with a few notable bands from other genres (like Green Carnation, Deathwhite and Saint Vitus) and non-metal bands like Heilung. They usually put out at least a few albums each year that are contenders for my year end lists.

Napalm Records hasn't traditionally been a label I paid that much attention to, but they're coming up in a pretty big way. Buying Steamhammer was a big deal for them and a lot of former Nuclear Blast artists like Destruction and Nile have jumped ship to Napalm recently. While they've been largely focused on power metal, symphonic metal and gothic metal over the past couple of decades, they're actually signing a lot of extreme metal bands these days. 1914 in particular is a huge band for them now, but they also have bands like Crypta, Nervosa, Konvent, Nile, Agathodaimon, Bornholm, Stormruler, Darkwoods My Betrothed etc. on their roster now which is cool.

Relapse isn't as big as they used to be in the 1990s, but they're still putting out some good stuff. I think picking up bands like Ripped to Shreds and Temple of Void will definitely help them and they have a solid roster as it is, with bands like Inter Arma, Devil Master, Exhumed, Dying Fetus, Gruesome, Incantation, Outer Heaven and Primitive Man being some of the standouts. I'd say they have a pretty solid chance of getting back to being a bigger name again.

Outside of the historically big labels there are a lot of labels that put out great stuff. Dark Descent, 20 Buck Spin and Profound Lore are consistently reliable when it comes to extreme metal releases. Transcending Obscurity is a bit more hit and miss but still has some gems and Everlasting Spew is slowly a growing label to keep an eye on. Cruz del Sur, No Remorse and Shadow Kingdom all release great traditional heavy metal. I also really like Northern Silence, Eisenwald, I Voidhanger, Terratur Possessions, Van Records and Vendetta Records for black metal. For melodeath Black Lion Records and Apostasy Records put out some good releases. There are also some historically important labels that are not as big as they used to be like Peaceville Records and Candlelight Records that still release good music.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:39 pm 

Nuclear Blast is basically the new Roadrunner these days while Roadrunner itself is a generic rock label that is also a fully owned subsidiary of Warner Music Group. That said, NB still has a fair few good bands on its roster as do Century Media. Candlelight and Peaceville are still worth a look even if they aren’t as strong as they used to be.

I completely forgot about Relapse when putting my list together. They’ve released lots of great stuff over the years: early Mastodon, High on Fire, Dillinger Escape Plan, Baroness, Suffocation’s reunion album and Dying Fetus just to name a few. They still have a decent roster today.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:31 pm 

I don't really follow labels like I used to, but Extremely Rotten (David from Undergang's label) has consistently put out great death metal and grind.
Vendetta and Eisenwald are also pretty much my go-to if I want to check out new black metal.

I used to follow Hells Headbangers a lot, but the usual style of what they put out got a little old for me at some point and I kinda stopped checking out new stuff.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:02 pm 

Metal Blade, Roadrunner, Earache, Alternative Tentacles, and Northern Silence are my go-to's for good metal releases.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:59 am 

Aside from most of the major ones already mentioned how can everyone forget about Unique Leader? Aside from the run in the 90's with Deeds of Flesh, Decrepit Birth, Disavowed etc, they've also done a pretty good job in marketing the brutal death metal scene and deathcore scene as of late since Matti Way has taken over, IE check out the new Pyrexia, Vomit The Soul, and Signs of the Swarm.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:28 am 

I can't really say that I like everything a label puts out but I'll probably always check stuff from: Van Records, Terratur Possessions, Haeresis Noviomagi, Debemur Morti, Norma Evangelium Diaboli, Sepulchral Voice Records, Mystískaos/Dissociative Visions, Oration, Eisenwald, etc. Dark Descent, 20 Buck Spin. Nuclear War Now, Invictus Productions and Iron Bonehead also release cool stuff but they release so many albums each year that I'll only check them if I'm already familiar with the band.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:36 pm 

At the moment probably Dying Victims. They have been killing it with oldschool heavy metal, speed metal, and black thrash lately. All or mostly above average in quality. Also have been really into a lot of the material coming out of Amor Fati, and Heidens Hart.

Besides those, I do my best to check out releases put out by Cruz Del Sur.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:19 pm 

I used to buy most often from High Roller, but not sure these days since they inexplicably seem to be the only label I know refusing to ship to the UK.

Reply to topic