Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:47 pm 

I've met some very liberal metalheads but also very conservative metalheads. Does it differ between different subgenres? NSBM is of course very far right, and I can see most grindcore being left wing. Any thoughts?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:50 pm 

My bet would be simple: all over the political spectrum with some having no political leanings at all.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:17 pm 

Zdan wrote:
My bet would be simple: all over the political spectrum with some having no political leanings at all.

This is accurate.

Personally speaking though, I've always found it pretty contradictory for someone to be into transgressive music such as metal or punk while holding (often right wing) conservative views. Those things just don't gel together, can't be in favour of The Man while enjoying music that often criticizes it, that's when you become Paul Ryan.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:23 pm 

Personally, I'm none of these, that's just a strategy to make people fight against themselves over problems that could get solved or clogged rationally, if both sides weren't just so submerged in propaganda that's fed by them by people who really couldn't care less about anything other than enriching themselves for a lifetime.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Zdan wrote:

This is accurate.

Personally speaking though, I've always found it pretty contradictory for someone to be into transgressive music such as metal or punk while holding (often right wing) conservative views. Those things just don't gel together, can't be in favour of The Man while enjoying music that often criticizes it, that's when you become Paul Ryan.

The thing is while I can agree with the punk thing (as it is often transgressive and anti-establishment) I will also point out that there is A LOT of metal that is pure escapism. That sort of thing - Conan, Tolkien, comic books, gore/zombie flicks - I think speaks to a person regardless of political affiliation and there is no contradiction there. As it should.

Last edited by Zdan on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 pm 

Yeah, metal in general is not nearly as political as punk rock. I would bet that the vast majority of metalheads (however defined) overlaps with the general population fairly well. When metal gets political, like with thrash and its punk connections, it's usually anti-authoritarian and anti-religious, which I guess are broadly tied to leftist counter-culture.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:36 pm 

You guys aren't wrong there, that's true. I guess it depends on a case by case basis, there really is no cognitive dissonance in being pro-capitalism and liking Cannibal Corpse.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:43 pm 

Zdan wrote:

Pretty much this. In my experience the more extreme metal genres such as black metal, and brutal death metal has had their fair share of right-wing extremists, but I don't really notice that so much now. It seemed more prominent 10 or 15 years ago. This forum used to have some right-wing extremists that filtered over from ANUS or deathmetal.org like 10 or 15 years ago as well. Now, I just feel like people's politics are all over the spectrum, and probably the same for other music genres. The way it should be in my opinion.

Last edited by AcidWorm on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:11 pm 

Probably local. All the ones I know are very much elft-leaning or don't have strong political opinions but would probably lean left if only because of issues like environment or abortion. I have a feeling that's a trend in most scenes here, except maybe the black metal one, maybe.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:12 pm 

Non-partisan but my voting has changed sides over the last two decades. The old cliche, fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:51 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
This forum used to be like an extension of stormfront with far-right metal elitists 10 or 15 years ago as well.

It was? Does Morrigan know about this?

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 pm 

I have some beliefs myself that are probably "left-wing" (i.e. free healthcare, housing is a human right, etc.) but I don't align with any ideology specifically. Politics are a messy business I don't like to get into. From what I've seen metal isn't really aligned towards anything. NSBM and RABM existing in the same genre is proof of this.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:00 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Zdan wrote:

This forum used to be like an extension of stormfront with far-right metal elitists 10 or 15 years ago as well.

Lol what?

Stormfront is a straight up, unironic white nationalist forum. You can't compare some metalheads who made homophobic/bigoted jokes 15 years ago to unironic nazi's and white nationalists.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 pm 

In conversations like this it's important to remember that the rest of the world doesn't do politics to the extent that you see in America. Outside of America it isn't normal fir people to worship politicians (and/or political commentators) or make politics part of their identity.

With this in mind, I'd say that on average, "metalheads" don't engage in politics much at all beyond election time.

Crossbones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:04 pm 

I can't speak for everybody. I just don't give a fuck about politics or politicians and the people who do seem to get pissed off and miserable about it. So why bother?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:18 pm 

GratefulDeadInside wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Lol what?

Stormfront is a straight up, unironic white nationalist forum. You can't compare some metalheads who made homophobic/bigoted jokes 15 years ago to unironic nazi's and white nationalists.

I edited my comment as it was a bit hyperbolic. MA did have racists from ANUS or deathmetal.org that would put a pseudo-intellectual spin on it. It was a bit more than just people making homophobic and racist jokes. The atmosphere did feel quite different back then.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:35 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:

I've seen some very old forum posts before, and from what I've gathered from those posts, the kind of right-wing edginess seemed to be more tolerated then, though I'm sure saying that kind of stuff today will get you banned here.

Also, where did you get the idea that this forum was once an extension of Stormfront? Makes no sense :scratch:

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 pm 

I know pretty much everyone I know who is either a USPM musician or fan is pretty far right. I mean like Q'an, support the insurrection, Mah freedoms far right.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:57 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Zdan wrote:

This is accurate.

Also personally speaking, I agree with you! But I think that's likely just our points of entry to the music. I was very into the message of the bands I loved and that often led towards more liberal views. Similar to how Straight Edge was a big sub-sect of hardcore. But there's so many entry points it can work for all types of people. I'd guess if someone's entry point is folk metal all about the so to say "good old days" - then they probably are conservative by nature and found a genre that they related to.

But, in theory, it always felt to me that metal and punk were naturally rebellious and about standing up for yourself so it seems to me like there's probably more people with liberal views - at least socially liberal views - than conservative ones.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:14 am 

Left

Modern conservatism is in no way, a right wing ideology. Anything that stems from Neoliberalism and the Enlightenment is inherently left wing

There really is no right wing anymore, aside from fringe political groups. Everything today is just various shades of left to center-left

Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 am 

soulonfire wrote:
I know pretty much everyone I know who is either a USPM musician or fan is pretty far right. I mean like Q'an, support the insurrection, Mah freedoms far right.

Q'an supporters are on the left though. They support Trump whos a neo-liberal Keynesian from NYC.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:04 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Left

Modern conservatism is in no way, a right wing ideology. Anything that stems from Neoliberalism and the Enlightenment is inherently left wing

There really is no right wing anymore, aside from fringe political groups. Everything today is just various shades of left to center-left

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Neoliberalism is pretty right, dude.

An actual left-wing ideology is something like anarchism. There is no way you actually believe this.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:18 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Left

I can't tell if this is a joke or you're just extraordinarily stupid.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:26 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Left

I'm curious what do you consider right wing by this standard? Edmund Burke? Joseph de Maistre? I doubt that applies to anyone that lives in these modern times. I think right wing is a well-understood label for Conservatives, sometimes for economic Liberalism.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:37 am 

One thing I've commonly seen is "don't bring politics into music!" Which i find gighly amusing since many a band had offered political commentary through their lyrics, even if they are not a "political band".

I tend to think that most extreme either left or right thinking is found moreso in the USA and being neutral can't be comprehend amongst the thinking, especially when talking about bands.

"Band x are horrible because they are lefty Biden supporters"

"Lol, stupid right wing Trumptard, go listen to Pantera"

Black Sabbath FB pages were brilliant at the "no politics in music" thing after Sabbath released the "Black lives matter" MoR font shirt, people would have a post of the shirt and the thing would turn into a mire of degenerative back and forth.

However, i think as a whole, heavy metal seems to be leaning more towards the left, possibly as a more progressive thinking ideal.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:50 am 

I was very left when I was younger. As I've gotten older, and with it garnered a successful career, with increased responsibilities, both in my personal life and professional life, I've found myself moving to the right of the centre. I have no idea if this is representative of metal fans or not.

The right is incredibly frowned upon here, and as such, I've generally avoided political discussions here, because you can't have political discussions anymore. Both sides are completely right with their respective views, and the other sides are idiots/out of touch/etc with no discussion.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:02 am 

Zdan wrote:

This is me, 100%.

I hate politics and politicians, and I refuse to take any side.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:03 am 

soulonfire wrote:

Just chimed in to say that I am the biggest USPM fan you will find around and I have no political affiliation and often no concrete position on a given issue (in most cases I just did not research it enough or care enough).

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:11 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I was very left when I was younger. As I've gotten older, and with it garnered a successful career, with increased responsibilities, both in my personal life and professional life, I've found myself moving to the right of the centre. I have no idea if this is representative of metal fans or not.

The right is incredibly frowned upon here, and as such, I've generally avoided political discussions here, because you can't have political discussions anymore. Both sides are completely right with their respective views, and the other sides are idiots/out of touch/etc with no discussion.

From my own perspective most regular people are rarely 100% on the broad left or broad right. Usually they'll lean one way, but have the odd belief that contradicts that. I personally lean pretty centre left but have a couple of viewpoints which would probably be regarded as pretty conservative.

The internet is not great for nuance and lends itself to everyone sitting in their own little feedback loops reinforcing their own views. It also leads to an environment where people don't seem to consider the possibility that just because someone is where they are on the political spectrum does not mean that they will always be there and continue to hold the same viewpoints.

Most metal folk I know seem to at least be left leaning or somewhat apolitical, but then again that's just my personal circle of acquaintances. I can't necessarily extrapolate much from that. I ultimately don't think you can really say for certain that one musical genre will have a majority in favour of one end of the spectrum. Although most people who post on here do seem to be at the very least reasonable and rational and able to have civil debate with each other, which indicates there aren't many extremists around (not counting trolls and people who get banned). But then again how representative is this forum of the worldwide metal community as a whole? I suppose with members from various continents it's more diverse than most.

You do get some vocal right wing metalheads around, though. Razorfist on Youtube being a prime example. I watch his music videos and discography reviews as those are entertaining, but his political opinions are a shit show.

Radulfr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:19 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Left

Ah yes, the famous left wing icons: Ronald Reagan and Maggie Tatcher

Bluesyboy wrote:
Q'an supporters are on the left though. They support Trump whos a neo-liberal Keynesian from NYC.

>neo-liberal Keynesian
>left
Pick one.

Holy shit I'm surprised the mods haven't banned anyone in this thread yet. There's no way this isn't trolling

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:02 am 

wone21r wrote:
In conversations like this it's important to remember that the rest of the world doesn't do politics to the extent that you see in America.

Absolutely. For example, The Communist Party of the Russian Federation couldn't care less about LGBT+ issues; these basically do not exist for any "full-time" politicians here - the politicians are desperate for votes, and any sign of sympathising for the "perverts set out to corrupt our precious children" is guaranteed to alienate the majority of population here. The so-called "Liberal" press will cover these problems to an extent, but even their audience isn't exactly welcoming.

So if we use the attitude towards LGBT+ stuff as a marker of "leftiness", then the majority of Russian metalheads are quite far right, same as the general population.

If we try to measure political affiliation in terms of which local parties Russian metalheads tend to support, then there will be this visible "pro-Centrist" part among the older (50+) fans and performers of the "hard'n'heavy" persuasion who also present as active members of the Orthodox church. But it's not the majority. The majority of Russian metalheads do not vote at all, same as the majority of the population.

Where do our "Centrists" lie on the US scale? Difficult to gauge - our state still has "free" healthcare, "free" higher education etc, but these aren't universally good enough. There's a lot of issues. Most Russians do not believe that anything can be done to improve the general situation.

Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am 

Radulfr wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Left

Bluesyboy wrote:

>neo-liberal Keynesian
>left
Pick one.

Holy shit I'm surprised the mods haven't banned anyone in this thread yet. There's no way this isn't trolling

Why isn't is Keynesianism considered left-wing when free-market economics is considered right-wing?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:33 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

From my own perspective most regular people are rarely 100% on the broad left or broad right. Usually they'll lean one way, but have the odd belief that contradicts that. I personally lean pretty centre left but have a couple of viewpoints which would probably be regarded as pretty conservative.

The internet is not great for nuance and lends itself to everyone sitting in their own little feedback loops reinforcing their own views. It also leads to an environment where people don't seem to consider the possibility that just because someone is where they are on the political spectrum does not mean that they will always be there and continue to hold the same viewpoints.

Most metal folk I know seem to at least be left leaning or somewhat apolitical, but then again that's just my personal circle of acquaintances. I can't necessarily extrapolate much from that. I ultimately don't think you can really say for certain that one musical genre will have a majority in favour of one end of the spectrum. Although most people who post on here do seem to be at the very least reasonable and rational and able to have civil debate with each other, which indicates there aren't many extremists around (not counting trolls and people who get banned). But then again how representative is this forum of the worldwide metal community as a whole? I suppose with members from various continents it's more diverse than most.

You do get some vocal right wing metalheads around, though. Razorfist on Youtube being a prime example. I watch his music videos and discography reviews as those are entertaining, but his political opinions are a shit show.

You're correct, at least from my perspective. I'm right leaning on business views, and left on social issues such as LGBTQ rights.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:18 am 

Radulfr wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Left

Bluesyboy wrote:

>neo-liberal Keynesian
>left
Pick one.

Some people have been banned if you scroll through. (edit: I was thinking this was the US Politics thread in the off-topic section for a minute.)

Personally, I hate all the left vs right people get lumped into. In America at least there is a heavy sense of tribalism. We are all humans, and all Americans and should treat each other as such instead of enemies and threats to each other's survival. I have views that tend to be more associated with conservatives, and views that are more liberal so I think of myself as an independent as I don't want to be lumped into a competing tribe.

Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:29 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

You're correct, at least from my perspective. I'm right leaning on business views, and left on social issues such as LGBTQ rights.

Same. If you're in the US that doesn't really give you any good choices when it comes to voting unfortunately lol.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:13 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Personally, I hate all the left vs right people get lumped into. In America at least there is a heavy sense of tribalism. We are all humans, and all Americans and should treat each other as such instead of enemies and threats to each other's survival. I have views that tend to be more associated with conservatives, and views that are more liberal so I think of myself as an independent as I don't want to be lumped into a competing tribe.
Unfortunately, America (and I’m sure there are other countries like this as well) has always been a country that had these traits. As in, people being fearful of their own countrymen/women, paranoia, tribalist, and individualist to a fault. And when I say individualist, I mean people taking that to the extreme because they simply don’t trust hardly anybody.

These things then lead to people feeling like they need to own firearms as a consequence.

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:22 pm 

Zdan wrote:

This has been most of my experience. I don't discuss politics with strangers; that's my policy.
I find people who post their lunacy on bumper stickers or something of that nature appallingly stupid.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:33 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:

First I thought this is the most stupid shit I've read in a long time, but then there's this:

Bluesyboy wrote:

Now we only need someone to say that nazis are leftists because there's "socialism" in national socialism.

Metalheads are not a homogenous group of people in any other sense that they listen to metal, which in itself can mean wildly different things depending on the person. Any average that you might have formed in your head is a regional generalization or hearsay-level data from the internet.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 pm 

I for one don't give a damn about lyrics or the (real or suspected) ideologies of the people making the music, but I am very definitely left-wing. I would be even if I had nothing to do with metal anyway though, so at least in my case there is no real connection.
That being said, obviously I identify much more with the lyrics of Napalm Death or Nuclear Assault than any right-leaning band I might happen to listen to.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:15 pm 

Things have clearly changed, or at least this board makes it seem so. When I was growing up, metalheads, while not political, were clearly, and proudly, conservative. I've never understood it, but I've consistently ran into blue collar conservatives that would not vote, if they did vote, in their own self interest. For instance, when I worked in the trades in the south, they were vehemently anti-union while getting a low straight wage with zero benefits, not even sick time. They had no capacity to think beyond learned doctrine and the next 60 seconds of their life. Forget unions. You couldn't even bring up sick time or health insurance without quickly getting smacked with anger and aggression. They were nothing if not conformist rule followers. It could make your head spin. It was the exact same with the metalheads I met. Disgruntled outsiders, who at their core, would fight tooth and nail to prop up the very things that made them disgruntled outsiders with all this negative energy.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next