PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 pm 

Bolt Thower - Realm of Chaos

A classic for good reason

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Motorhead - Killers

Got in the mood for this because of that senior citizen thread... the ultraheavy attack and pure venom in Lemmy's vocals definitely make it a mood. If anything the super direct meat and potato sound of this one, along with maybe Overkill too, represents the quintessential version of the band to me. Probably cause I heard it so early into my metal listening but even so.

Inferno could very well be Motorhead's best album start to finish....

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 pm 

markhebb wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Motorhead - Killers

Got in the mood for this because of that senior citizen thread... the ultraheavy attack and pure venom in Lemmy's vocals definitely make it a mood. If anything the super direct meat and potato sound of this one, along with maybe Overkill too, represents the quintessential version of the band to me. Probably cause I heard it so early into my metal listening but even so.

Inferno could very well be Motorhead's best album start to finish....

I'm really partial to Another Perfect Day, and also Bastards is very good...and 1916. And Overkill is likely their most succinct and representative set of tunes. Pretty hard to pick a real favorite honestly.

Motorhead - Angel City

Some of their most bombastic shit is on this one... "No Voices" and "Love Me Forever" are so dynamic and "I'm So Bad" is a straight murderer of a track.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:51 am 

As far as metal or just music goes Inferno could be the best album overall as far as old people go. The sound, the riffs, the songs - there is something beyond perfect on Inferno if you really think about it.

Bastards is something on another level. This just a blazing set of tunes with one song that should a hymn of people working against abuse - you know the one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 am 

Zdan wrote:
As far as metal or just music goes Inferno could be the best album overall as far as old people go. The sound, the riffs, the songs - there is something beyond perfect on Inferno if you really think about it.

Bastards is something on another level. This just a blazing set of tunes with one song that should a hymn of people working against abuse - you know the one.

They're both really good... I might have to say Inferno beats it out because it's more sonically consistent, but the back half of Bastards is really interesting anyway.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:15 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Zdan wrote:

They're both really good... I might have to say Inferno beats it out because it's more sonically consistent, but the back half of Bastards is really interesting anyway.

I would agree. The first half of Bastards is beyond any criticism but Inferno as an ALBUM, as a WHOLE, as a THING is really something. Song after song goes into each other and there is no blemish, no wrong sounds. Just a perferct heavy music album. I loved how when Inferno came out my friend all got it - metalheads, hardcore punks, just punk people and even alternative music snobs (people who just love music that has to sound like either Swans or Sonic Youth - no judgement from me). I know then that this album had something. Whorehouse Blues is the proof in the pudding - you can play it for nearly anybody and they would agree - it is just a good song.

Deadened
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:26 am 

MinstreliX - 11 Trajectories

Pretty solid neoclassical power metal. Still going through my 2021 backlog. Shit, I still haven't caught up with 2020 yet...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 am 

Zdan wrote:
I would agree. The first half of Bastards is beyond any criticism but Inferno as an ALBUM, as a WHOLE, as a THING is really something. Song after song goes into each other and there is no blemish, no wrong sounds. Just a perferct heavy music album. I loved how when Inferno came out my friend all got it - metalheads, hardcore punks, just punk people and even alternative music snobs (people who just love music that has to sound like either Swans or Sonic Youth - no judgement from me). I know then that this album had something. Whorehouse Blues is the proof in the pudding - you can play it for nearly anybody and they would agree - it is just a good song.

Every time I play that one I always have different favorites. Though "Year of the Wolf" is such a thundering masterpiece in particular.

Budgie - Guts

Just doing some late night writing while the muse is there; 70s rock seems to work.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Every time I play that one I always have different favorites. Though "Year of the Wolf" is such a thundering masterpiece in particular.

Budgie - Guts

Just doing some late night writing while the muse is there; 70s rock seems to work.

See? That is the greatness of that record - you can name any song as a favorite. EACH ONE. Look at "In The Name of Tragedy" - this one gives a closed fist shot to every metal band that thinks they are hot shit with riffs and such. The old guys come and just with this riff close the deal. I love it. One riff and you are hooked on the whole song.

As for Budgie - the early history of that band is - to me - a tale of an industry that failed to see greatness. The first five albums of Budgie can stand against any early hard rock/heavy metal run of albums and possibly come out on top in terms of dynamics, riffing, atmosphere and composition. Production is not there but I discount that because much of the 70's classics are poorly recorded. There is one band from the UK that I would name as better (and I exclude Sabbath, Priest and Maiden from this contest as I consider them true-blue heavy metal bands) if we are talking hard rock/heavy metal hybrid music but that is for the reader to guess if he/she wants to.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 am 

Black Sabbath - Dirty Women

It's a solid song on its own, but when it is the last song on Technical Ecstasy it's a goddamn masterpiece! So many things wrong with that album, but they salvaged it somewhat by having this one close the whole full-length.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:55 am 

Brainstorm - Wall of Skulls

Decent PM album from the past year. "My Dystopia" has the kind of chorus I like for this kind of style. Reminded me of Steel Assassin who were killer.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:45 am 

Took me this long... Probably I tried it back in the day, because I got other albums from them.

Cemetary - Phantasma

Man, this doesn't really sound like Cemetary. Should have been released under another project name or under one that existed. Alternative rock album with ugly distorted production. The worst elements, however, are clean vocals that sound like a mixture of Anders Fridén and Marilyn Manson!!! Get outta my house, now!!!!!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:54 am 

Lane wrote:
Took me this long... Probably I tried it back in the day, because I got other albums from them.

Cemetary - Phantasma

Man, this doesn't really sound like Cemetary. Should have been released under another project name or under one that existed. Alternative rock album with ugly distorted production. The worst elements, however, are clean vocals that sound like a mixture of Anders Fridén and Marilyn Manson!!! Get outta my house, now!!!!!

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I like the band's first demo and the third album.

NP: ADX - Les enfants de l'ombre

More explosive speed metal from these French maniacs!

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am 

Symphony X - Domination

Never heard those guys, even though I was pretty aware of them. Given the band's name, I had this misconception that this is some kind of cheesy melodic power metal ala Stratovarius or Dream Evil. Man, I was so fucking wrong. This song smashes everything!

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:24 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Cemetary - Phantasma
Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I like the band's first demo and the third album.

Exactly what it is: A disaster!

'Black Vanity' is a bonafide classic!

NP: Neurotic Machinery - Opsialgia --> Fine, wicked tech death album, this!

Deadened
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:42 pm 

Phantasma is one of the worst album I've ever heard. Its even more disturbing coming from a band that I previously liked ("Godless Beauty" is my fave).

NP: Lake Of Tears - The Neonai

Speaking of contractual obligation albums... But at least this is still somewhat listenable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:19 pm 

Zdan wrote:

See? That is the greatness of that record - you can name any song as a favorite. EACH ONE. Look at "In The Name of Tragedy" - this one gives a closed fist shot to every metal band that thinks they are hot shit with riffs and such. The old guys come and just with this riff close the deal. I love it. One riff and you are hooked on the whole song.

As for Budgie - the early history of that band is - to me - a tale of an industry that failed to see greatness. The first five albums of Budgie can stand against any early hard rock/heavy metal run of albums and possibly come out on top in terms of dynamics, riffing, atmosphere and composition. Production is not there but I discount that because much of the 70's classics are poorly recorded. There is one band from the UK that I would name as better (and I exclude Sabbath, Priest and Maiden from this contest as I consider them true-blue heavy metal bands) if we are talking hard rock/heavy metal hybrid music but that is for the reader to guess if he/she wants to.

Yeah last night's marathon of Motorhead definitely reminded me how cool they are. I always need that every so often. A true class act.

With Budgie, yeah, I've really found them a goldmine. Impeckable I remember being very good too.

Thergothon - Yet the Watchers Guard

This kind of thing I really have to be in the mood for, but what an album. Just madness really. A bizarre and singular piece.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:55 pm 

Tesla - Real To Reel
With this, they hit their sweet spot. Although they arrived in the mid 80s, they've always been a 70s hard rock band. Hearing them cover these 70s rock classics is the perfect equation.

Deadened
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm 

Midvinter - At The Sight Of The Apocalypse Dragon

Pretty good melodic bm. Glad I managed to nail the original press recently.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:34 pm 

Stagwounder - The Shrouded Muse Of The World's Lament

Incredible album from a seething German band that melds black and doom so sublimely with bold and brazen prog and folk gestures every now and then.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm 

Ereb Altor - I Have the Sky

I've known about these guys for a years but never checked them out, finally gave em a shot with this song/album it's from and I've been missing out! This is so damn catchy and the rest of the album is pretty good as well. Gonna give it a lot of listens to get familiar.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:57 pm 

Enid - Self-titled

If anyone's a fan of a mix of black metal and dungeon synth with a Summoning influence, then you can't go wrong with this demo. Great for when you're getting some schoolwork done!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:05 pm 

Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows

Adventurous long songs with a lot of rich guitar stylings and cool vocal exchanges. This doesn't get enough love.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Deadened
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 pm 

Morgana Lefay - Maleficium

My fave of theirs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 pm 

Melechesh - Mystics of the Pillar

Been a while. There's really nothing else I can think of that's like this - BM but with strong trad metal and Egyptian influences and this level of variety. Wild. Visionary shit.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Been a while. There's really nothing else I can think of that's like this - BM but with strong trad metal and Egyptian influences and this level of variety. Wild. Visionary shit.

Melechesh always deliver. Nowadays I always go for the batshit + goofy Sphynx though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Melechesh always deliver. Nowadays I always go for the batshit + goofy Sphynx though.

Sphynx and Epigenesis are usually my go-tos. I keep forgetting they had material before Sphynx actually.

Funeral - Tragedies

Sort of very basic gothy doom death but it does create a nice mood with these somber female vocals. Like being in a church in the rain or something.

kazhard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:15 am 

Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao

This can be such a weird album at times, not Grand Declaration of War weird but still.

Deadened
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:19 am 

Pathosray - Sunless Skies

I loved their first album, but never could get into this one. Time to give it another go...

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 am 

Zdan wrote:
Also:

Wild Dogs - Reign Of Terror

If someone likes tough, riffy, in-your-face and speedy USPM or just heavy metal - you HAVE TO listen to this record. The intensity, the double bass drumming, the attack of the guitars, the vocals screams - sometimes it really rivals shit like Thundersteel and Painkiller as far power and punch goes.

just bought this one! From Matt McCourt on ebay!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:55 am 

Deadened wrote:
The Crown - Hell Is Here

Not sure why I've barely played this one, despite being familiar with it for 2 decades.

that one's a minor classic! :headbang:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:34 am 

Uriah Heep - Demon and Wizards

My favourite UH album. The Wizard, Easy Livin, Circle of Hands, Rainbow Demon and that incredible version of Why as a bonus track, awesome stuff.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wahn_nhaW
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:34 am 

Kreator - Lost

Cause for Conflict is one of those albums that sounds impenetrably messy the first time you hear it, but it just keeps getting better the more you listen to it. Great bass, great drumming (I don't care it's not Ventor, and he returned to the band anyway), and the songs shift and develop in very interesting ways. Plus the album just flows well. It just takes a few spins to start making sense.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:10 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Also:

Wild Dogs - Reign Of Terror

If someone likes tough, riffy, in-your-face and speedy USPM or just heavy metal - you HAVE TO listen to this record. The intensity, the double bass drumming, the attack of the guitars, the vocals screams - sometimes it really rivals shit like Thundersteel and Painkiller as far power and punch goes.

just bought this one! From Matt McCourt on ebay!

You probably then have a version with the unreleased album "Dead To The World" - that one is also excellent. I own the first Enigma pressing in mint condition.

From me:

The Rods - Heavier Than Thou

Much heavier, speedier (at times) and better than I remember!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:31 am 

Slayer - At Dawn They Sleep

Much played album as of late. Might like this more than what came afterwards. But all early Slayer is godly/hellish for me.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:30 am 

Carnivore - Carnivore

People don't understand hair and leather, but I'm telling you I couldn't be living better.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:08 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:

Much played album as of late. Might like this more than what came afterwards. But all early Slayer is godly/hellish for me.

Indeed. There are so many peaks and valleys to be found on "Hell Awaits"; it's a very dynamic record. Heck, it's practically progressive metal.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 pm 

Holy Mother - Criminal Afterlife

One thing is certain: Mike Tirelli is a MONSTER of a singer. Absolutely amazing!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:

Indeed. There are so many peaks and valleys to be found on "Hell Awaits"; it's a very dynamic record. Heck, it's practically progressive metal.

Is it though? I thought it's influenced by Mercyful Fate's method of cramming so many killer riffs and transitions in one song. But with Slayer leaning extra hard into the Satanism.

Rush - By-Tor & The Snow Dog

METAL.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:15 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:

There's no need to exaggerate that much, buddy. :p

NP: Ossian - Az Iteletnap

I love how this song starts off with some bluesy licks ala Black Sabbath...and then it turns into a god damn hurricane of speed metal mayhem.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2598, 2599, 2600, 2601, 2602, 2603, 2604 ... 2655  Next