Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:16 pm 

I've already done this with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Metallica, and now I'll do with Megadeth. Basically we simply dissect each album and discuss what we like and dislike about them. It took me a while to make this post since I'm not as familiar with Megadeth's discography as I am with the other mentioned bands, and their catalogue is huge and can be hard to simply generalize or analyze as a whole.

That being said, they've somewhat stood out to me, and they've had some really good songs, and I thought I'd give it a shot. It took me a while to re-listen to them, and even then, I haven't gotten through all of their albums yet; I'm simply gonna do the ones that I have heard so far. I'm only focusing them on a musical standpoint; I don't focus that much on lyrics. Also keep in mind that this is not the best analysis; it's more of a general blueprint, but nevertheless these still reflect my thoughts.

Killing is My Business...and Business is Good
Pros: Sexy bass lines alongside those drum beats that just makes you want to say “Wow!” more frantically than Owen Wilson; the entire album, especially Last Rites, provides more adrenaline to me than even Painkiller by Judas Priest, and that says a lot.
Con: A bit poor production on the guitars, but I'm not gonna bother complaining

Peace Sells…but Who’s Buying
Pro: Normally I’m a man of simplicity, but with all those riffs, solos, technicality, and bass lines (nothing like tech death level), this album is partially the reason for why Megadeth stands out to me more than other thrash metal bands.
Con: Doesn’t exactly has the same adrenaline feel to me as Killing is Business.

Rust in Peace
Pro: Amazing guitar solos and melodies as usual. Is a bit more simple, but who’s to say that’s a bad thing?
Con: Not always a huge fan of the guitar tone tbh. Also, Dave’s voice comes kind of squeaky in some songs like Tornado of Souls, but then again, he wasn’t always a very good singer to start with.

Youthanasia
Pros: A Tout le Monde showcases one of Mustaine’s best vocals.
Cons: Haven’t heard much from this album, so I cannot make full judgement yet, although I’ve heard that people don’t like how they strayed away from their thrashy sound.

Cryptic Writings
Pros: Has pretty sexy riffs, especially in She-Wolf.
Cons: Can’t think of any particular cons for this album, but it’s not close to my favorite album

Risk
Pros: Not that bad of an album as most people make out to be; I’d take disco-Megadeth over Metallica’s St. Anger anytime. You gotta admit that the bass lines are pretty danceable.
Cons: That being said, it’s still not a very memorable album.

The World Needs A Hero
Pros: Promises is a very underrated ballad
Cons: No Marty Friedman, Disconnect seemed like a poor choice to start the album

United Abominations
Pros: Badass cover artwork; perhaps my favorite Eddi-er I mean Vic Rattlehead design. The songs themselves are also solid; Washington is Next rocks a lot.
Cons: I think I've heard that this album is pretty generic, which may be kind of true

Dystopia
Pros: Very good sound production, another badass cover artwork, The Threat is Real is a good way to start the album
Cons: Ditto on UA

So what are your thoughts? What are some pros/cons could you think of for each Megadeth album?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 pm 

cons: they all have dave mustaine "singing" on them

pros: some of the best lead guitars and band dynamics in the whole history of metal

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:12 pm 

I thought the first one had some really great songs, killer riffs, and overall would have been an outstanding record had the guitars and the production been beefier. The mix really killed that album

"Peace Sells" was overall their best, production-wise, song-wise, playing wise- only flaw maybe was it's a little on the short side.

I didn't get into "So far, So Good, so What" as much, but the guitar work is still top notch and songs, while a bit more uneven than on "Peace Sells" are still overall pretty good.

"Rust in Peace" is good, better than the previous one, a bit more technical, a great riff fest but overall the songs maybe aren't quite as memorable.

"Countdown to Extinction"- a bit too commercial sounding at this point for me, though still a decent record.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 am 

Killing Is My Business
Pros: Really great start to a band's career. Contains some of the bands best songs.
Cons: Production is complete shit.

Peace Sells
Pros: Honestly pretty perfect throughout, contains some of the fastest and most complex songs Mustaine has ever written.
Cons: The band could never really live up to it.

So Far So Good So What
Pros: Has a kinda dark theme to the whole thing that I like, and 502 is one of my favorite Megadeth songs.
Cons: Alot of filler and uninteresting stuff.

Rust In Peace
Pros: No filler whatsoever, and Nick Menza is one of the greatest metal drummers in history.
Cons: Production is too quiet, drums don't have enough pound to them, and you can't hear the bass for shit on the original mix.

Countdown to Extinction
Pros: Really catchy songs, Sweating Bullets has an amazing solo and I love Captive Honor
Cons: Basically Megadeth's Black Album, this started the drift away from thrash and more towards regular heavy metal

Youthanasia
Pros: Pretty much the sequel to CTE, alot of catchy, more commercial songs. I like the melodic elements and Victory is a perfect closer.
Cons: Same as CTE, continues the drift away from thrash.

Cryptic Writings
Pros: She-Wolf and The Disintegrators are cool tracks. That's about it.
Cons: Too commercial for me, and Trust is one of the bands most over-played songs.

Risk
Pros: HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Cons: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

The World Needs A Hero
Pros: The band attempted to regain some genuine heaviness and thrash elements into the music. Also Return to Hangar is a favorite song of mine.
Cons: The attempt didn't work out too well. Album is too long and still feels a bit mellow.

The System Has Failed
Pros: I like the guitar tone of this album. Back In The Day is a top-tier Megadeth song.
Cons: The whole political message of it is kinda stupid.

United Abominations
Pros: It could've been alot worse, I suppose
Cons: Very medicore, standard 2000s metal album. Washington is Next reminds me of Dragonforce and that isn't good.

Endgame
Pros: Much faster then UA, and contains some great later-era songs.
Cons: Pretty shit lyrics.

Th1rt3en
Pros: Ellefson is back, that's cool. Public Enemy No. 1 is a good song too.
Cons: Way too long and way too boring.

Super Collider
Pros: Built For War is alright. That's it.
Cons: Production is way too blown out and the riffs are too crappy to compensate

Dystopia
Pros: Return to form. I really liked almost everything on this record.
Cons: Lyrics are filled with Dave's Infowars-spouting bullshit, and there's way too many bonus tracks.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:53 am 

There's a simple pro and con about Megadeth in general: for a while Dave was driven by what Metallica tried to do. :p

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:05 pm 

Not hugely familiar with some albums but I'll give it a go (some gaps here and there)

KIMB...ABIG
Pros: Rabid, ferocious thrash which has been matched by few other bands since. Wild and unhinged and so much fun. Definitely get the remix (the one done about 20 years ago) for full enjoyment. The Maiden influences are obvious. The jazz backgrounds of Poland and Samuelson really give an extra edge to the band's sound.
Cons: Not sure about the cover song, and the sheer intensity of the record can make it a bit daunting to get into. The original mix was woeful and sapped a lot of the record's power.

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
Pros: A lot of classics here. Megadeth come into their own as a band. Great cover art.
Cons: Lacks the rabidity of the debut and consequently isn't as interesting, with the exception of My Last Words where Dave sounds like he found a bonus speedball down the back of the mixing desk.

SFSGSW
Pros: Often overlooked but a more interesting album than the ones either side of it. Unique lineup of the band which worked quite well.
Cons: A very scratchy, messy record on first listen, this can take a while to get into. Not sure about the Pistols cover either, but I suppose it adds some fun.

Rust In Peace
Pros: Take the first two songs and the last two songs (Dawn Patrol is an interlude, not really a song) and you have a great EP that is the high point of Megadeth's career. Great cover art again.
Cons: The middle of the record is total filler. Forced and uninteresting thrash that seems to be technical and complex just for the sake of it. The original production SUCKS SHIT - there is no bass - and it's astonishing that people don't seem to notice this and claim the 2004 remix 'ruined' the album.

Countdown
Pros: Way more interesting and consistent across the board than the previous record, and the title track is one of the great underrated Megadeth songs.
Cons: Not many. Isn't quite as good as the Black Album (which it's competing with) when it comes to accessible heavy metal for the masses.

Youthanasia
Pros: The darkest Megadeth album. Mustaine pretty much thought he was finished at this point and the lyrics bear that out. Has a real emotional wallop that no other Megadeth album comes close to as a result. More mid tempo song writing, but fantastic riffs and hooks all the way through. The highpoint of their career.
Cons: None, really, though some songs aren't as interesting as others.

Cryptic Writings
Pros: More commercial but really good all the same. Trust is excellent.
Cons: Not that many, though I haven't heard this album in ages and really need to give it another go.

Risk
Pros: Not as bad as St. Anger. Some OK songs.
Cons: Crush 'Em is dreadful. Not sure if this really should have been put out underneath the Megadeth name, it's kind of its own thing in a lot of areas, more radio friendly hard rock than anything.

UA
Pros: First half is really good. Some catchy songs.
Cons: Ellefson is missed. Second half not as interesting as the first. Pointless remake of A Tout Le Monde.

Endgame
Pros: Not many. The playing is impressive, I suppose.
Cons: Megadeth's nadir (out of what I've heard). Like the middle section of Rust In Peace made into an entire album. Very dull. Forced thrash with no interesting hooks or riffs to speak of and topped off with crappy conspiracy theory lyrics. On the title track Dave sings about how everyone will be microchipped. Risk is far superior to this.

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:12 pm 

Killing Is My Business 7,5/10
Pros: raw proto-megadeth, Mechanix
Cons: mix and production are bad, a few fillers

Peace Sells 9/10
Pros: great songwriting, original ideas, iconic cover, Good Mourning / Black Friday
Cons: muddy production

So Far So Good So What 7,5/10
Pros: better production, darker tone, In My Darkest Hour
Cons: overall weaker than Peace Sells

Rust In Peace 10/10
Pros: everything is turned up to 11. Songwriting, drums, solos, godly riff, lyrics. Perfect album. Megadeth's AJFA but with a good mixing.
Cons: nothing

Countdown to Extinction 8/10
Pros: very catchy but still heavy. Several timeless anthems. Ashes In Your Mouth.
Cons: stripped out songs for commercial success. Megadeth kinda selling out.

Youthanasia 7/10
Pros: a few really cool catchy songs. Some lyrics. Blood of Heroes.
Cons: mostly an hard rock album. A lot of weak songs.

Cryptic Writings 7/10
Pros: its a grower. A bit edgier than the previous album. Trust & She Wolf.
Cons: simplistic bare to the bones compositions, fillers.

Risk 4/10
Pros: i admire the courage to release such a shitty album. Prince of Darkness is kinda cool though.
Cons: 99% of this album is a con.

The World Needs A Hero 5/10
Pros: return to their heavier side.
Cons: completely forgettable, not one good song or a memorable riff. Shit production. Shit artwork.

The System Has Failed 6,5/10
Pros: some cool riffs, thrash is back on the menu
Cons: Megadave thinks he's a political guru. Songs are not that memorable.

United Abominations 6,5/10
Pros: remains in the thrash trajectory. Gears of War.
Cons: new A Tout Le Monde song is trash. Most songs are average at best. Megadave doesn't like UN.

Endgame 7,5/10
Pros: best album since CtE. At least 4 great tracks and several above average. Guitar tone and overall compositions feel energetic and inspired.
Cons: a couple of fillers.

Th1rt3en 6/10
Pros: Public Enemy No. 1
Cons: step back from Endgame and back into uninspired boring territory.

Super Collider 3/10
Pros: a couple of cool riffs.
Cons: worst Megadeth album. Yeah even worse than Risk and TWNAH. Worst artwork in their career as well.

Dystopia 7/10
Pros: fortunately they got back up and releases almost an Endgame level album. A good mix of catchniess and heaviness.
Cons: Megadave lyrics in this one are surreal.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:42 pm 

Outside of Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, and The System Has Failed, I find that basically all their records are very uneven and, as I'm an album guy, I find myself hardly every revisiting any of their other records outside of these four, because I would just have to skip a whole bunch of tracks. This uneveness really does hinder my capacity to appreciate great tracks on otherwise poor records.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:45 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Outside of Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, and The System Has Failed, I find that basically all their records are very uneven and, as I'm an album guy, I find myself hardly every revisiting any of their other records outside of these four, because I would just have to skip a whole bunch of tracks. This uneveness really does hinder my capacity to appreciate great tracks on otherwise poor records.

For similar reasons, I just own KIMB, SFSGSW, and Youthanasia. Got rid of all the other albums I had by them. Can always listen again via Youtube or repurchase if I choose to.

I prefer them as a live band, in all honesty. Saw them a bunch of times in the 2000s (mostly at festivals). The second time I saw them at Nottingham Rock City in 2005 is still in my top 10 gigs ever, that was a ferociously wild show, whole crowd up for it.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:47 pm 

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Dave Mustaine

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 pm 

aloof wrote:
cons: they all have dave mustaine "singing" on them

pros: some of the best lead guitars and band dynamics in the whole history of metal

Sums it up perfectly.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:

So edgy I nearly cut myself just reading this genius post.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:39 am 

Megadeth was one of the first metal bands I got really into, so a lot of their albums hold a really special place in my heart, even if I don't listen to it all that much anymore.
Generally I always felt like Megadeth wasn't "just" a thrash band - They had thrash riffs coming out the ass for sure, but they were always pushing the boundary a bit.

I'm gonna just lump the albums into four groups that generally have the same pros and cons for me.

Killing is my Business // Peace Sells // So Far, So Good, So What // Rust in Peace
Pros: Early on Dave was wild and hungry for success, and it really shows. Each album pushed the envelope and they got better and better (okay, SFSGSW was arguably less interesting than Peace Sells).
Cons: A few misses like all the cover songs.

Countdown to Extinction // Youthanasia // Cryptic Writings
Pros: They found their place and settled into a comfortable writing style that's easy to like. Still plenty of awesome riffs. Honestly some of their best songs are on these albums.
Cons: Overall less exciting albums.

Risk // The World Needs a Hero // The System has Failed
Pros: They still have a few great songs on each album (and I happen to really like The System Has Failed).
Cons: By now it feels like they had got a bit complacent and just churned out albums with a lot of filler. They were experimenting, sure, but not necessarily for the better. Especially TWNaH was a snooze.

United Abominations // Endgame // Th1rt3en // Super Collider
The newer albums are a bit hit or miss. UA and EG I overall like a lot, but 13 and SC have just one or two good songs each. I never got around to listening to Dystopia.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:29 am 

nephilim80 wrote:

Rust In Peace 10/10
Pros: everything is turned up to 11. Songwriting, drums, solos, godly riff, lyrics. Perfect album. Megadeth's AJFA but with a good mixing.
Cons: nothing

Sure, okay. I'll agree the songwriting is good but

Good mixing? Really? I dunno about you but I can't hear the bass for nothing on the original mix, and the drums are way too quiet.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:43 pm 

Go on Mr. Joey, I'll bite:

Killing Is My Business and Business Is Good!:
Pros: I like how agressive and technical this album is. It's also worth noting this album was recorded live in the studio with very few overdubs so everything you're listening to was done live, at the exact same time, by each band member. Pretty neat.
Cons: The prodution is a bit weak, as is the song writing. Generally the whole album just doesn't move me like the next few do.

Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?:
Pros: Man, this album is fucking incredible. The whole thing sounds like a steel bar; thick and heavy. The song writing is just incredible, particularly the guitar parts. I am as stunned now as I was at 14 listening to just how many solos and fills the crammed into each song. This whole thing really sounds like 4 guys firing on all cylinders, trying their absolute hardest to make the fucking greatest, heaviest, angriest album they possibly could, then playing it at double speed.
Cons: None, though the "remastered" versions don't sound nearly as good.

So Far, So Good... So What!:
Pros: This sounds like Megadeth's answer to Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets. There's a lot of instrumental passages and melodic bits that fit well into the band's sound. It sounds less like Megadeth were aping Metallica's sound and more like the band were coming into their own as songwriters. I'd say this is also easily the most diverse of Megadeth's thrash albums, bridging the gap between some of their more radio friendly stuff and their proper headbanging tracks.
Cons: Eh, I don't care for this album all that much sadly. I love songs like In My Darkest Hour but the rest blend together. I can't really put my finger on what I dislike, I've just always been left cold by this one.

Rust in Peace:
Pros: Ah, here we go: the real Megadeth experience. This album is flawless. The riffs are all very well considered and placed beautifully in their respective songs. It's the kind of album you come back to every now and then but find your favorite song switching constantly because they're all so good.
Cons: None, but again the remasters take a lot away from the magic of this album.

Countdown to Extinction:
Pros: Some really good, unique songs I can't see coming from anyone other than Dave Mustaine and the boys. The singles are really the ones worth listening to.
Cons: Most of this album falls a little short. Pantera had ripped thrash to shreds at this point and this album reeks of Dave smelling a payday and following a trend. The groovier parts of this album just don't do it for me.

Youthanasia:
Pros: Again some good singles and some interesting ideas explored.
Cons: Again some pretty forgettable songs making up the bulk of the track listing.

Cryptic Writings:
Pros: It's pretty neat to hear Megadeth dip their toes into radio-rock and some of the results are worth listening to even today. I dig Trust and She-Wolf in particular.
Cons: "Most musicians don't get the opportunity to go into the market with educated strategy. Fortunately, for us, our management educated us on how to study what's current without losing our integrity and to keep on edge while staying at the forefront of what's important right now." Who the fuck writes an album with a marketing strategy in mind? This feels like a sad grab at my wallet. Dude, just tell me if you need an extra couple bucks for the bus. What were you thinking Dave??

Risk:
Pros: I like Breadlines. If nothing else it's an interesting case study.
Cons: The only thing I remember about this album is is sounds like Nickleback and Crush 'Em was Goldberg's theme for a while. Fuck this awful album.

[...] (all the albums between 2001 and 2013 fucking suck so I never bothered listening to them more than once)

Dystopia:
Pros: Pretty good return to form for Megadeth. I've heard most of the cuts on this thing live and I've always enjoyed it and it kept me entertained back in 2016.
Cons: It falls into a lot of the trappings veteran bands fall into when producing new material. Overall it's good but there's nothing particularly head-turning about it and I haven't actually listened to it in a couple years.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:03 pm 

I'm not a Megadeth fan, but I do like a few riffs on the first couple of albums a lot. I came here to ask: what if someone could have talked Dave into editing the songs down to a few ideas each rather than 4000 ideas crammed into each song?

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:28 pm 

Zdan wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

I mean he's right Mustaine's voice is horrible, and regardless of how brilliant the playing is the band suffers for having him as their "Vocalist". I haven't revisited anything apart from Rattlehead because of how terrible his voice is. But sure you can blame "Edginess" for the fact he is an abysmal singer.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:54 am 

Dave is obviously not a good singer by any standard, but he's very easy to recognize. I honestly don't think Megadeth would have been as prolific had they had a more 'traditional' vocalist.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 am 

Dave is a bad singer technically, but that doesn't mean he's bad for Megadeth. Thrash had all sorts of unique cartoonish characters back in the 80s, and Dave was just another one of those. Think about how different we'd view bands like Toxik, Vio-lence, or Realm if they had guys that sounded like Tom Araya or James Hetfield. In fact, Testament might be the prime example - people might view them more favourably if they had a more original singer.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:23 am 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
Zdan wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

I mean he's right Mustaine's voice is horrible, and regardless of how brilliant the playing is the band suffers for having him as their "Vocalist". I haven't revisited anything apart from Rattlehead because of how terrible his voice is. But sure you can blame "Edginess" for the fact he is an abysmal singer.

The "edginess" is the fact that he said there are NO pros. None. Nothing. Sorry but if you think that about Megadeth of all bands you are either a troll or just deaf.

Reply to topic