* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
1. Grindcore is the best extreme metal subgenre.

4. Shout at the Devil > Nevermind

Agree with these...somewhat. Grindcore WAS the best extreme metal subgenre back in 1990/1991 but I got burned out on it pretty quickly after that, and I've heard way too many untalented, cliche'd bands attempting that style that have nothing to offer but incel lyrics, ridiculous vocals and crappy riffs.

"Shout at the Devil" was by far the best thing the Crue ever did and I still love that album today- even though I don't like anything they did after that. Nirvana was a good band and was a refreshing change from all the stale glam rock being churned out (including what Motley Crue were doing at the time) but... after all these years, I still enjoy "Shout at the Devil" more than "Nevermind."

I believe the term "Big 4" for thrash started roughly in 1987 or 1988 by one of the guys from Metal Forces magazine, but I could be wrong. The time frame- late 1980s- is about right though. By then Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth had separated from the pack in terms of record sales and popularity; Exodus should have been right up there with them but they had a few issues (Record label, personnel, etc.) after "Bonded By Blood" came out and they lost a lot of their early momentum.

That's fair comment about Exodus sadly, although for me their first four albums are all outstanding and enjoyable, with the fourth one being my favorite.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:23 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Hmmm play any thrash song you can find next to Infecting the Crypts by Suffocation and tell me which one sounds more extreme.

Mkay, I pick Pleasure to Kill by Kreator.

And anything from "Spectrum of Death" by Morbid Saint really. Those vocals make these songs demonic and totally out there and the instrumentation is not far behind.

Last edited by Zdan on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:52 pm 

Zdan wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Hmmm play any thrash song you can find next to Infecting the Crypts by Suffocation and tell me which one sounds more extreme.

Any anything from "Spectrum of Death" by Morbid Saint really. Those vocals make these songs demonic and totally out there and the instrumentation is not far behind.

Agreed.

A lot of the more ''extreme'' thrash (that helped create Death/Black metal) are far more extreme than Suffocation (and many other Death metal bands from that era). They're just unbridled fury of extremeness. :D

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:58 pm 

Mkay, I pick Pleasure to Kill by Kreator.[/quote]

Any anything from "Spectrum of Death" by Morbid Saint really. Those vocals make these songs demonic and totally out there and the instrumentation is not far behind.[/quote]
Agreed.

A lot of the more ''extreme'' thrash (that helped create Death/Black metal) are far more extreme than Suffocation (and many other Death metal bands from that era). They're just unbridled fury of extremeness. :D[/quote]

Lol wrong. Its alll subjective so your all entitled to your unpopular opinion. I actually enjoy all 3 of the thrash albums you guys mentioned, perhaps because i'm more of a death metal guy and all 3 of those albums definitely are extreme and should satisfy most death metal fans needs. I do agree sometimes thrash can seem more uptempo due to the pure speed of death metal lulling you to sleep without tempo changes. Something like Enmity doesnt feel as uptempo and urgent to me as Beneath The Remains because its just a wall of nonstop blur, Suffocation on the other hand hits harder than prime Mike Tyson. So i respectfully disagree and leave ya'll to your opinions.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:28 pm 

Ok, here's another one:

Jazzy/technical bass playing distracts more than it does add to metal. Case in point - Di Giorgio's noodling on his fretless is what makes ITP one of my least favorite Death albums (it would bo near the top otherwise).

felinarcotika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:38 pm 

Dream Theater is a totally overrated snob band.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:49 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Lol wrong. Its alll subjective so your all entitled to your unpopular opinion.

I just want to take a moment to draw attention to the irony of saying that something is wrong just to say it's all subjective in the next sentence. It can't be wrong if it's completeley subjective, just sayin'.

mirons wrote:
Jazzy/technical bass playing distracts more than it does add to metal. Case in point - Di Giorgio's noodling on his fretless is what makes ITP one of my least favorite Death albums (it would bo near the top otherwise).

I don't agree with this as a general statement, but in practice, a good chunk of the bands who use this kind of jazzy/tech/prog bass don't do it too well. I disagree on the use on Individual Thought Patterns, and I also think that bands like Cynic and Atheist made a good use of this kind of bass. I also liked it in the context of a few modern death metal albums, such as Beyond Creation's debut, but it influenced others and created a trend, with bands like First Fragment making extensive use of it, and that's something I tend to dislike.

In general, I don't like bands who replace riffing with noodling. The standard bearers of this in modern death metal are bands like Obcusra and Augury (I know there might be more but I'm less familiar with this kind of death metal so...) that I personally don't enjoy, so I also don't like the noodly doodly wonky bass, but I also don't like anything the guitars are doing either, so it's not really the bass itself that bothers me. I just don't like the whole thing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:51 pm 

Pharaoh and Watchtower, and then other shit like Martyr and Spiral Architect, converted me to how great noodly, proggy bass in metal can be. I think it really adds a lot.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 pm 

Here's one I was thinking about the other day

The band Anathema, I've literally only listened to Serenades Pentacrost III and Crestfallen but I think they're death doom shit is the best out of the Peaceville 3 at least in terms of the old shit

And the absolute most confounding thing about it is that they have the worst riffs of them all but idk something about the way the music flows just works, the emotion just makes it too good

Perhaps.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:21 pm 

Zdan wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:

And anything from "Spectrum of Death" by Morbid Saint really. Those vocals make these songs demonic and totally out there and the instrumentation is not far behind.

This leads me to another one, it seems people have really obvious reasons for classifying what brutal is and to me its all surface brutality yeah that Suffocation song is pretty brutal and very good but has nothing on shit like Darkness descends because the riffs on Darkness descends just communicate this feeling of pure rage and sheer evil blinking you in the fucking eye and Suffocations riffage imo just doesn't do that

Same thing with how I find Chuck Schuldiners writing impossibly fucking brutal because I find he has a very good way of describing why something Is evil and breaking it down instead of just merely describing it I hear such anger in his voice when he criticizes something that's evil and I think having genuine emotion is far more brutal than stripping it away like most brutal dm bands seem to do

Perhaps.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:37 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:

I just want to take a moment to draw attention to the irony of saying that something is wrong just to say it's all subjective in the next sentence. It can't be wrong if it's completeley subjective, just sayin'.

My post was laced with sarcasm my friend.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:18 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:

My post was laced with sarcasm my friend.

Lol I thought about responding to that too and saying "you think he doesn't realize that lol

I actually kinda like this place sometimes its very amusing

Perhaps.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:51 pm 

In all fairness it says he's form Quebec, maybe there is a little difference in language barrier in terms of picking up on sarcasm, or maybe i just didnt make it clear enough. Either way, no harm no foul, just wanted to let him know i wasnt trying to be malicious to anyone, just poking some fun.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:47 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
Same thing with how I find Chuck Schuldiners writing impossibly fucking brutal because I find he has a very good way of describing why something Is evil and breaking it down instead of just merely describing it I hear such anger in his voice when he criticizes something that's evil and I think having genuine emotion is far more brutal than stripping it away like most brutal dm bands seem to do

With a thin voice, patchy lyrics and often so-so production values? To each his own, but with the exception of Death's early stuff, brutal certainly isn't the word that comes to mind. I'd rather go with ''pretentious''. :p

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:55 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
If you like metal and can't see any worth in Usurper, then I dunno what to tell you. Especially Diabolosis or Twilight Dominion.

I have a friend that is like that. He will not touch stuff like Usurper, Desaster, Aura Noir etc. He loves NWOBHM, classic heavy metal, USPM, speed metal, even some thrash but stuff has no patience for stuff like Usurper.

I just meant that as part of the "BM sucks" thing. Usurper to me is like the best crossroads of BM with more accessible stuff, at least once you get beyond Venom and all that.

I listened to a bit of Twilight Dominion, and it's actually not bad. Far from the best thing ever but definitely not outright shitty.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:24 pm 

Modern classic in my estimation. Iconic riffs and songwriting.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:34 pm 

Yeah after reading those posts I went back and listened to Usurper's 'Twilight dominion' again properly after only a cursory listen quite a while ago.
Great stuff and you can tell they fucking mean it, but yeah, not really groundbreaking (then again I doubt they even meant it to be).

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:17 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Thy Shrine wrote:

With a thin voice, patchy lyrics and often so-so production values? To each his own, but with the exception of Death's early stuff, brutal certainly isn't the word that comes to mind. I'd rather go with ''pretentious''. :p

I don't really think he's very pretentious tbh, I don't really know where that accusation comes from, I think His writing shows he's a very bright guy and I think so because I listen to songs like Mentally Blind or Low Life and I just see myself in them, having an addict personality I have done a lot of very harmful things to people I care about and I think Moreso than a lot of metal, I can listen to Deaths music and actually feel the evil that was lodged in my brain, that the alcohol fed until it eventually took over completely, and everything he was critical of is things I felt before, and I think they're things that deserve to be criticized quite frankly.

I have a much more personal perspective on why I enjoy Deaths music, but imo he had a very poetic sense about things and that means a lot to me. What I get out of it is that reality is far more brutal than any artistic interpretation of it could ever be.

Of course Leprosy is still better than later death so I'm just kind of full of shit too so lol

Perhaps.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Modern classic in my estimation. Iconic riffs and songwriting.

I love Twilight Dominion, but I wouldn't say it excels at songwriting, actually some songs are pretty much skippable imo. Then again the riffs are indeed great, albeit far from unique, yet its biggest trump is the juicy sound - which combined with the fairly straightforward yet very effective riffing packs a real knockout punch. In fact, it may be the heaviest sounding metal album I can think of right off the top of my head. Great and fun album for sure, but a classic? Sadly, no, not really.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:29 pm 

Nah I'd say it's all excellent. The songwriting combines a classic metal style with this Celtic Frost brutality - right up my alley really.

No it's not very unique in an avant garde/groundbreaking way, but it's a case of a newer unabashed trad band that doesn't feel like a ripoff. Ironsword and Wolf's The Black Flame are some other examples... other times newer trad bands/albums that do such a thoroughly old school sound don't resonate nearly as hard with me.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 pm 

Not sure how unpopular this is but Breeding the Spawn is better than both Effigy and Pierced, not by an astronomical amount or anything but I definitely came around to that one pretty hard a couple months back and I just think the songs are more morbid, and I think even moreso than brutality I think Suffocation was one of the first to take morbidity out of death metal, which sucks because breeding the Spawn shoes they're exceptionally good at making really fucking bloody technical death metal, Effigy and Pierced are too thump thump thump to be truly morbid, despite both being fantastic albums.

Oh yeah previous posts remind me that I like Monotheist but anyone claiming that's better than To Mega Therion or Into the Pandemonium or Morbid tales Is out of their fucking minds I'd say, hell half the time I'd rather listen to shit off of cold lake or vanity nemesis or even that parched with thirst shit, Monotheist isn't even a bad album but it's certainly fairly boring and quite frankly not very memorable besides a few certain moments still not a bad album maybe like a 6 or 7 but it's certainly their most uninteresting to me and the one I'll listen to the least

St Anger is actually not terrible, like metal fans give a fuck about snare drums, listen to the average BDM album from the 90s you'll hear the same garbage can sound, and obviously I'm not saying it's really good but it's music I can respect, can't say the same about a lot of other shit so I think people should kinda back off that one, the jokes kinda old now lol

Perhaps.

Last edited by Thy Shrine on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:50 pm 

Black Sabbath didn't "invent" heavy metal all on their own, nor did it happen all of a sudden. It was an evolution of sound that started with Cream and The JH Experience in 1966.

And this is coming from a huge Sabbath fan!

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:02 pm 

RestlessChild wrote:
Black Sabbath didn't "invent" heavy metal all on their own, nor did it happen all of a sudden. It was an evolution of sound that started with Cream and The JH Experience in 1966.

Cream and The JH are nothing but derivations of the sound developed by John M. Barry back in 1957, and this is from a big Cream fan.

Tulcakelume
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 pm 

snarg wrote:
RestlessChild wrote:

Cream and The JH are nothing but derivations of the sound developed by John M. Barry back in 1957, and this is from a big Cream fan.

And if you go far back enough, all music is derivative of stone age bone flutes and skin drums :-D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:40 pm 

Well RestlessChild is right, Sabbath took it the furthest but there was a lot of other shit that molded up into metal. Nothing against Sabbath but I've just found it increasingly interesting to get into shit like Budgie, Blue Cheer, etc and see how that sound just seemed to be on everyone's consciousness back then. Jimi Hendrix had some thundering stuff at times too. It's all just intriguing to look at.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm 

I just posted in the new Megadeth thread, and it made me think about an unpopular opinion I have about them. I actually think of The System Has Failed as one of the best Megadeth records. If I had to rank them, I think my top four would go Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, The System Has Failed, and Peace Sells.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well RestlessChild is right, Sabbath took it the furthest but there was a lot of other shit that molded up into metal. Nothing against Sabbath but I've just found it increasingly interesting to get into shit like Budgie, Blue Cheer, etc and see how that sound just seemed to be on everyone's consciousness back then. Jimi Hendrix had some thundering stuff at times too. It's all just intriguing to look at.

It's like evolution. You can point at the frog. You can point at the toad. You can point at the frogs that came after that frog, and the mutant froggy things that led up to being a toad. But Black Sabbath is the first thing you can definitively point at and say, "Here! It's here where the frog-toad mutants finally became full toad!"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:23 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It's like evolution. You can point at the frog. You can point at the toad. You can point at the frogs that came after that frog, and the mutant froggy things that led up to being a toad. But Black Sabbath is the first thing you can definitively point at and say, "Here! It's here where the frog-toad mutants finally became full toad!"

Yeah exactly, that's pretty much how I think of it.

RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:32 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

If Black Sabbath should be credited for something, it's inventing the art of being a full time heavy metal band. I will agree they were the first on doing that (even if accidentally so at first), and doubling down on it with each release, culminating in Master Of Reality, which I think of as the heaviest album of ALL the 70's.

But I don't think Black Sabbath wrote the first metal song. That's a whole different topic. To me, heavy metal (the music) started with Cream.

Cheers.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 pm 

RestlessChild wrote:

But I don't think Black Sabbath wrote the first metal song. That's a whole different topic. To me, heavy metal (the music) started with Cream.

Cheers.

Some say that 1964 saw the release of the first two true metal songs:
1) the Stones' "Satisfaction" may in fact be the very first metal song, It definitely has the riff, the edge, and the 'danger' often associated with metal. I can see a case for this.
2) The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" -- has the riff, perhaps less dangerous, but still insanely over the top for its time.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:42 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I just posted in the new Megadeth thread, and it made me think about an unpopular opinion I have about them. I actually think of The System Has Failed as one of the best Megadeth records. If I had to rank them, I think my top four would go Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, The System Has Failed, and Peace Sells.

Agree 100%

RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:08 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
RestlessChild wrote:

Cheers.

Some say that 1964 saw the release of the first two true metal songs:
1) the Stones' "Satisfaction" may in fact be the very first metal song, It definitely has the riff, the edge, and the 'danger' often associated with metal. I can see a case for this.
2) The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" -- has the riff, perhaps less dangerous, but still insanely over the top for its time.

Nah. Those bands/songs still did not have that heavy metal sound. The technology for equipment at the time also has a lot to do with the creation of heavy metal, which is something a lot of people seem to overlook. By 1966, you had enough distortion and fuzz available that shit just started happening for metal. Cream, The JH Experience, The Amboy Dukes, Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, and a few other more underground bands were around just in time to innovate and start the ball rolling for heavy metal. They are the first metal bands imo.

Also, don't bother making smartass remarks 'cos I'll just ignore you. I only care to share my views/thoughts with people who care about metal's true origins.

RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:27 am 

Check out: Things To Come - "Speak Of The Devil" (1966)

Twas released as a single, months before the first Cream album, and it already sounded like a mix of Iron Butterfly and Black Sabbath (both future bands).

As someone else said before, the quest for the first heavy metal song never ends! Haha. But maybe, JUST maybe, this might be it.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:11 am 

Just some quick, unpopular opinions just for fun: Black Sabbath's self-titled is a better record than Paranoid, Chaos, A.D. is Sepultura's best record, and Killers is a better record then Maiden's self-titled, Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, or Seventh Son.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:49 am 

Vol 4 is Black Sabbath's best album by far.

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:02 am 

I prefer IX Equilibrium by Emperor over "Nightside" and "Anthems" as they finally got a proper production and really pushed some of the riffs. Decrystallizing Reason was my go to track for years on comps and turning people on to the band.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:32 am 

No Exit is Fates Warning's best and most consistent album.

RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:18 am 

Here's another one: Metal Archives is NOT a good source for traditional heavy metal.

Good source for just about any type of extreme metal, including doom.

But traditional heavy metal? If anything, this site has done a huge disservice to it. I always tell my friends this. MA is NOT a good source for traditional heavy metal.

Praying Mantis.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:51 am 

RestlessChild wrote:
Here's another one: Metal Archives is NOT a good source for traditional heavy metal.

Good source for just about any type of extreme metal, including doom.

But traditional heavy metal? If anything, this site has done a huge disservice to it. I always tell my friends this. MA is NOT a good source for traditional heavy metal.

Praying Mantis.

How so? Why?

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:19 am 

Thrash metal is the most boring metal genre. Don't get me wrong, I like thrash at times and some albums are amazing but overall the genre is stale and so predictable. If I give a thrash album a chance I can often predict exactly what's going to happen and it gives me nothing. There are to many copy cat bands and to few bands that dare to do something different.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 221  Next