Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:44 pm 

The worst albums thread (and this post I made in it) got me to thinking, we've had plenty of discussions over the years about the greatest records of all time, and some talk about the worst records as well, but what about the albums that land somewhere in the middle of that spectrum? I don't mean records that are meh all-around (because who cares about talking about them?), I mean records that are part good, but also part bad, rendering them mixed experiences on the whole. To get us started, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I'd offer Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum as my example, because it's so fucking odd that half of that record is just absolutely terrible, embarassing "Industrial" Metal like "Too Extreme", but then you have straight-up Death Metal songs like "Blades For Baal" on it as well, which is legitimately one of MA's best songs, IMO. I honestly can't think of any other record that's such a mixed bag, so can you guys name of any other examples of this?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:57 pm 

I felt like Lacrimas Profundere's Songs for the Last View was like this. It was like good song, bad song, good song, bad song, etc. Half of the album is catchy, the other half were snoozers.

Underoath's last album wasn't that good all-around, but even then it has a line between listenable and bad songs (almost by track order). It's like they alternated between tolerable/serviceable and utterly skippable.

In Flames Whoracle and Colony are like this as well. I love the tone of those, but the songwriting on both are very mixed. It's like there could have been two outstanding EPs of both but are instead full-lengths with some garbage ass songs on them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:59 pm 

Queensryche's Promised Land and Dream Theater's Octavarium are good examples. I know a lot of people praise the DT one, and yeah, the title track is awesome and "The Root of All Evil" and "Panic Attack" have killer riffs but fuck the fucking ballads and utterly forgettable mid-paced rockers that pepper the track list.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:00 am 

Metallica - Hardwired is the first to come to mind; I don't hate any of it, but whenever I play it I'm always reminded of the stark contrast between the quality of discs 1 and 2.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:21 am 

Neurosis' last two albums, Honor Found in Decay and Fires Within Fires would qualify too. I have listened enough times to know they will never compare to the classics and after the excellent run of Enemy of the Sun through Given to the Rising, they sound like an exhausted band whose fire is dwindling.

I still really love songs like "At The Well" and "Broken Ground" while actually liking only parts off of stuff like "My Heart For Deliverance" and skipping the crap that is songs like "All Is Found...In Time".

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:24 am 

Every Faith No More album from Angel Dust on. Very mixed on styles from song to song.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Every Faith No More album from Angel Dust on. Very mixed on styles from song to song.

Hm, I really liked Album of the Year in entirety and their comeback record was even better but I have to revisit at some point to make sure.

Every Queensryche album after Operation: Mindcrime would be a fairer statement but I Iiked Condition: Human.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:38 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

Hm, I really liked Album of the Year in entirety and their comeback record was even better but I have to revisit at some point to make sure.

Every Queensryche album after Operation: Mindcrime would be a fairer statement but I Iiked Condition: Human.

I loved every album by FNM, I was just saying they really mixed up styles every song.

Heh, see the other thread about cut off points. Seems like we are similar in our music tastes.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:06 am 

Iron Maiden in the 90s.

No Prayer I find front loaded. Most of the stronger songs on the first half, with the dip starting with "The Assassin" (although it ends strongly with "Mother Russia".

Fear of the Dark is wildly inconsistent, and features some of their absolute best songs (title track, "Afraid to Shoot Strangers") and some of their worst ("Weekend Warrior") or most forgettable ("The Apparition").

The X Factor starts well, with three great opening tracks, but then becomes a massive slog to finish. I really like the closing track ("The Unbeliever") though.

Virtual XI has some good songs ("Futureal", "The Clansman", "Como Estais Amigos"), but most of the other tracks fail to live up to their potential.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 am 

In the recent thread about Megadeth, I mentionned how I feel about most of Megadeth's releases, and basically, outside of Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, Countdown to Extinction and The System Has Failed, I feel that all other records are either very uneven, like Youthanasia, So Far So Good So What, Killing Is My Business and Business is Good, Cryptic Writings, The World Needs A Hero, or it's mostly trash with a few decent tracks, like Risk or Super Collider.

Empyreal wrote:
Metallica - Hardwired is the first to come to mind; I don't hate any of it, but whenever I play it I'm always reminded of the stark contrast between the quality of discs 1 and 2.

This is also the case for basically all modern Maiden records with 1+ hour runtime. Trim the fat on your overly lenghty and repetitive track, cut out the two-three weakest tracks and I might actually manage to make it one of your albums in one sitting before getting bored to tears.

Before someone gets mad at me for complaining about the older bands releasing albums that overstay their welcome, I want to insist that most bands should avoid making albums with runtimes over 45-50 minutes. Unless you're some kind of prog genius, or if you have some kind of compelling conceptual narrative justifying a lenghtier runtime, you should restrain yourself. It's just more common among older bands, who seem to think that we all really really really want to hear every single note, every single riff, every single piece of lyrics they ever wrote, so they shove as much of that shit in there without much thought put into making the album a cohesive and coherent release with a nice flow.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:04 am 

I disagree with that; I mean Maiden could cut some of those songs on the last two albums if they wanted, but none of them are anywhere close to bad to me.

Also I disagree with the other part too - Ruins of Beverast, The Chasm, Arch/Matheos, too many albums I wouldn't want to be any shorter from the last few years.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:57 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I felt like Lacrimas Profundere's Songs for the Last View was like this. It was like good song, bad song, good song, bad song, etc. Half of the album is catchy, the other half were snoozers.

Underoath's last album wasn't that good all-around, but even then it has a line between listenable and bad songs (almost by track order). It's like they alternated between tolerable/serviceable and utterly skippable.

In Flames Whoracle and Colony are like this as well. I love the tone of those, but the songwriting on both are very mixed. It's like there could have been two outstanding EPs of both but are instead full-lengths with some garbage ass songs on them.
Really? I mean, I don't like every song on Colony, but pretty much everything on Whoracle always struck me as being at least good (if not great), even the Depeche Mode cover.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 am 

"The Black Album" is an obvious choice. Like many others, I think the production is incredible even to this day, but the songwriting qualities (partially caused by watering down their classic sound) are extremely uneven.

Just compare "Wherever I May Roam" with "Sad But True", that's two entirely different worlds in terms of composition. Meticulous on one side, half-assed on the other.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am 

Judas Priest's Ram It Down is a good example for being really inconsistent. When it wants to it can be as heavy and fast as anything off Painkiller, but other times it tries to be the sequel to Turbo.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 am 

Load and Reload by Metallica. You'll have one of the best songs the band has ever written (King Nothing) then absolute dogshit the next (Mama Said).

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:35 am 

GratefulDeadInside wrote:
Load and Reload by Metallica. You'll have one of the best songs the band has ever written (King Nothing) then absolute dogshit the next (Mama Said).

I actually find Load to be more of a mixed bag than Reload. Reload is actually my third favourite Metallica record next to Justice and Puppets. There isn't a song on Reload that I dislike.

Load:
Love: The House Jack Built, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing, Bleeding Me, Waste My Hate
Like: Ain't My Bitch, Hero Of The Day, Mama Said, Thorn Within, Outlaw Torn [but I adore the S&M1 version]
Dislike: Cure, Ronnie
Hate: 2x4, Poor Twisted Me

Reload:
Love: The Memory Remains, Bad Seed, Where The Wild Things Are, Prince Charming, Low Man's Lyric, Fixxxer
Like: Fuel, Devil's Dance, The Unforgiven II, Better Than You, Slither, Carpe Diem Baby, Attitude

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:03 am 

i'll take a different angle on the mixed bag thing by not talking about good/bad songs, but rather good/bad aspects* of an album: panopticon's kentucky is an album i could see myself loving if it wasn't for those super proggy drums that are constantly all over the place and imo don't fit the music at all

* i'm not gonna go into great albums with bad production like breeding the spawn and stuff, 'cause we've had separate threads for those already

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:19 am 

joppek wrote:
i'll take a different angle on the mixed bag thing by not talking about good/bad songs, but rather good/bad aspects* of an album: panopticon's kentucky is an album i could see myself loving if it wasn't for those super proggy drums that are constantly all over the place and imo don't fit the music at all

* i'm not gonna go into great albums with bad production like breeding the spawn and stuff, 'cause we've had separate threads for those already

It's part of Panopticon's musical identity to combine pristine passages or something overtly proggy with folkier, clunkier moments, it seems. There's something that stands out for better or worse on all those albums.

I quite enjoy the blackgrass on Kentucky though...and find the drums well done.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:00 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Also I disagree with the other part too - Ruins of Beverast, The Chasm, Arch/Matheos, too many albums I wouldn't want to be any shorter from the last few years.

I should have insisted on the "most bands" part of my post more. I'm not saying no one should make lenghtier records, just that you shouldn't do it unless you actually have the song-writing skills and a steady level of quality throughout the whole records.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:05 am 

Point Of Entry and Technical Ecstasy are the textbook examples of this.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:10 am 

Ministry has always been a mixed bag band for me. Their late 80s/early 90s classic albums include some awkward experiments among the hits and the Bush trilogy has its weak tracks amongst the legitimately cool industrial/thrash style. The less said about their weakest albums, the better...

Going off of Queensryche, the post-Promised Land albums make for some deeply mixed bags. Hear In The Now Frontier has a near equal mix of great tracks and meandering fillers, Q2K has one of their best closers On The Right Side of My Mind in a sea of filler, Tribe has one of their best openers in a sea of fillers, and Mindcrime II would have a pretty good first half if Tate's vocals weren't so shot.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 am 

Judas Priest "British Steel"...absolutely stellar side A with some of the best tunes they ever recorded. Side B...not so hot, in fact, I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was a 5-songs EP as all of side B is a total waste of time.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am 

But Side B has The Rage and Steeler.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:17 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
But Side B has The Rage and Steeler.

And both are way overrated..my opinion of course

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:26 pm 

Modern Priest, for sure. Each and every record of the reunion era has some gems and a lot of disposable by-the-numbers filler.

90s Maiden

Sabbath - Never Say Die

Ozzy - No More Tears (3 or 4 great songs and a bunch of bleh)

Megadeth - Youthanasia (3 great tunes and a ton of disposable filler)

AC/DC - Fly On the Wall, Razors Edge, Blow Up Your Video

King Diamond - Graveyard, House Of God, Abigail II, Give Me Your Soul

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm 

Battleroar's Blood of Legends. Excellent songs in Valkyries Above Us, Poisoned Well, The Swords are Drawn, and The Curse of Medea, and the violin intro is cool too. The violin outro is boring and way overlong, and the other four songs do nothing for me.

~Guest 1454256
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 pm 

Bathory "Destroyer of Worlds" - there's a great MCD in there somewhere.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:55 pm 

Bit of a generic one, but Defenders of the Faith by Judas Priest. That album has 10 songs, 5 are some of the best metal songs ever written in my opinion, and the other 5 songs are dogshit.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:44 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
Bit of a generic one, but Defenders of the Faith by Judas Priest. That album has 10 songs, 5 are some of the best metal songs ever written in my opinion, and the other 5 songs are dogshit.

which 5 do you consider dogshit?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:11 pm 

Mayhem's Chimera has one of their best songs ever ("Dark Night of the Soul") as well as a couple other solid cuts ("My Death", title track, "Whore"), while the rest of the album is clearly phoned-in filler.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:37 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
DanielG06 wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to know the answer too. I always thought it was pretty consistently badass from start to finish.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:40 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Judas Priest's Ram It Down is a good example for being really inconsistent. When it wants to it can be as heavy and fast as anything off Painkiller, but other times it tries to be the sequel to Turbo.

I found a vinyl press of this in my late teens, but every time I put it on, I dislike it more. I used to think too "hey this gets into heavy Painkiller territory" but overall it's just not a great listen. You really gotta be out of ideas if you're putting a rendition of Johnny B. Goode on a metal record, heh. More recently, I realized I don't even have a digital copy of this album at all, and I'm fine with that.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:43 pm 

People have mentioned Megadeth and I have to say; that's spot on. Basically all Megadeth's 90's output sounds very phoned in to me, like they spent all their time writing a couple really good songs and didn't really give a shit if the rest of the album didn't sound the best. Rust in Peace is worth listening to in full but pretty much every album after that can be listened to with liberal use of the skip button. I think it all comes down to the band's shifting priorities, though it's a shame there's far fewer "hidden treasures" on their later albums.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
DanielG06 wrote:

Love Bites (Not terrible like the others, but still way too poppy, like a throwaway from British Steel)
Eat Me Alive (Annoying melody that reminds me of A Touch of Evil. I just don't like it)
Night Comes Down (I think it's really boring and outdated)
Heavy Duty (Just an intro to the title track)
The Title Track (I don't think it serves a purpose, it's an irritating semi-anthem with horrible chorus repeats)

Don't get me wrong, I love Priest to death, they're my 2nd favourite band. I understand why people would like those songs, I just think they're annoying.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Last edited by DanielG06 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 pm 

Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. 7 fantastic, top of the game tunes along one of the crappiest songs they've ever released: Can I Play with Madness.

I know 7 to 1 sounds imbalanced and therefore not a "mixed bag" per se, but the contrast in quality between them makes it up for it.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:35 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. 7 fantastic, top of the game tunes along one of the crappiest songs they've ever released: Can I Play with Madness.

I know 7 to 1 sounds imbalanced and therefore not a "mixed bag" per se, but the contrast in quality between them makes it up for it.

Absolutely fucking not, Can I Play With Madness fucking rocks, that's one of the best on the album, never understood the hate.

Probably been mentioned but Empire by Queensryche has Another rainy night, Best I can, and the title track, three of their all time best songs, easily on Par with mindcrime, and unfortunately it's surrounded by a bunch of shit I just do not really care about Silent lucidity is really just not very good I'd argue

Every Guns and Roses album has this problem to me Namely Appetite and both Use Your Illusion albums, tons of filler, and some really good songs somewhere In the midst of that. And FUCK sweet child o mine and paradise city with a ten inch cock, can't stand to hear either of those ever again.

Perhaps.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:06 am 

I'd agree with the Illusions being uneven (especially part II), but Appetite for Destruction is near flawless. Anything Goes is the weak link, but is by no means a bad song. Chinese Democracy is also a consistently good album.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:37 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

If anything, Number of the Beast is the the most inconsistent record they did in the 80s. You have Hallowed Be Thy Name and the title track alongside rubbish like Gangland and Invaders.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

I actually agree with this 100%. It's definitely the weakest track on Seventh Son. And it's got a dreadful solo, as well.

For some reason it gets played on Planet Rock more than any other Seventh Son track, which amazes me, as the other tracks on the album are far superior.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:52 pm 

"Damnation and a Day" and "Nymphetamine" by Cradle of Filth qualify as this for me. Both albums are overly long and stretched thin, yet the good tracks are some of their best. "Coffin Fodder", "An Enemy Led the Tempest", "Mother of Abominations", "Hurt and Virtue", "Swansong for a Raven"... good stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next