* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:16 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Zdan wrote:
I would venture to say - Manilla Road. Depends on what you consider "later" in the discography but their first two albums while very good are not as GREAT as the trilogy of Crystal Logic, Open The Gates or The Deluge. Even Mystification or Out Of The Abyss are fantastic records.

The Courts of Chaos is absolutely incredible. I'm not sure why it continually gets ignored in these conversations. Is it because it came out in 1990?

Love me some Courts of Chaos. The problem with that one is - while it is a great album it came after a slew of astounding good releases. But if somebody is looking for a extremely moody, doomy Road album this is the one to shoot for.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:17 pm 

soulonfire wrote:
I would argue that Saxon has been putting out their best stuff over the last 20 years.

Angel Witch, Cloven Hoof, Satan, and Motorhead also come to mind.

"Inferno" is among the top 5 Motorhead albums of their HUGE discography. Absolutely ferocious and stunningly good record. No blemishes on that one - even the production is spot on.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:49 pm 

soulonfire wrote:
I would argue that Saxon has been putting out their best stuff over the last 20 years.

Angel Witch, Cloven Hoof, Satan, and Motorhead also come to mind.

I like the second Angel Witch record a lot, but I wouldn't consider their stuff after Screamin' to be close to the first 2.

Satan is an interesting call.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:24 pm 

If you're talking about a range of albums Death and Pantera's latter albums are more celebrated then their earlier albums.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:54 am 

For me Cirith Ungol's most recent full album "Forever Black" basically resets the Bar at how incredibly good their albums are.

I love all their albums, even "Paradise Lost". But "Forever Black" picks up where they left off and the song writing and execution of that album has all the energy and vigor of a band who never left their prime and are still getting better.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:39 am 

Hirax's 21st -century output is far superior to both Raging Violence & Hate, Fear and Power.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I understand the arguments for The Chainheart Machine or even A Predator's Portrait (the latter a close second for me), but I think Soilwork's crowning achievement is The Living Infinite. A double album without filler, with a perfect balance of speed and aggression with variety and melodicism. And it surprisingly just took purging their original guitarists completely, who'd have thought. You could practically consider it a trilogy with The Ride Majestic. Second wave (maybe third or fourth wave depending upon how you slice it up) melodeath seems to get a bad rap in the metal community, but albums like those are some of the stronger arguments for its validity.

THIS. Their best work, still come back to it regularly. Didn’t expect that kind of quality at the time with Peter Wichers leaving the band for the second time before it, seeing as Sworn to a Great Divine ended up pretty rough without him. Turns out raising their ambition a good amount really unlocked something within the band for The Living Infinite.

Threshold is the best example of this that comes to mind though. Subsurface I think is where they really found their groove, 14 years and 7 albums since their debut, and every album since then is competing for my favorite work of theirs.

Ragemanistan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:19 am 

I've always felt that Order Of The Illuminati is Agent Steel's best work.

As much as I hate to admit it, Violent Revolution is probably my favorite Kreator album.

Testament's last four records aren't surpassing their first two but it's the strongest run of their career. I'm not a fan of their very underwhelming comeback album.

In the Rock spectrum, I've often discussed Van Halen vs Van Hagar. I'm fully aware that Van Hagar is mostly watered down Mom Rock but how many Hard Rock bands have 4 straight #1 albums? I don't know of any off hand other than Van Halen. In defense of Eddie Van Halen during this era, how many bands/guitarists put out their best material their 7th through 10th albums? The only answers to that that I know of is maybe April Wine and possibly Rush if you include the live albums in the totals. Most bands/guitarists ran out of their best ideas by that point.

Saxon has absolutely killed it the last 20 or so years. I only own a few but everything I've heard is very solid.

Ratt's Infestation may not be their best but I was shocked as to how much I liked that album when it came out.

In the opposite sense, I'm one of the few on the planet where I like Pantera's first three Rock/Metal albums much, much more than their last three.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:16 am 

Rodman wrote:
Hirax's 21st -century output is far superior to both Raging Violence & Hate, Fear and Power.

Ehhhh. While I love modern Hirax I still think the speed, rawness and frenetic insanity of "Raging Violence" cannot be touched. "Bombs of Death" is their signature song for a reason.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:15 am 

i much prefer the later half of primordial's discography to the first half (very roughly), largely because alan sounds so much better than on the early stuff

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:27 pm 

This might not be a great example, since a couple of the best albums came early, but I'd like to nominate Anthrax. They had Among the Living which was great front to back. Many also name Persistence in Time which I've only heard once or twice (but that I really like). But apart from those I think the discography is very spotty until they suddenly release two really good albums in Worship Music and For All Kings.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm 

InnesI wrote:
This might not be a great example, since a couple of the best albums came early, but I'd like to nominate Anthrax. They had Among the Living which was great front to back. Many also name Persistence in Time which I've only heard once or twice (but that I really like). But apart from those I think the discography is very spotty until they suddenly release two really good albums in Worship Music and For All Kings.

This isn't a great example.

Your post doesn't mention their best album - Spreading the Disease - which came very early in their career.

Persistence of Time is indeed great, even better than AtL IMO. State of Euphoria is the weakest of the first Belladonna era, but is still a worthwhile addition to any record collection ('Be All, End All' is a total banger - just ask Behemoth).

Ragemanistan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:38 pm 

Rodman wrote:
InnesI wrote:

Your post doesn't mention their best album - Spreading the Disease - which came very early in their career.

Persistence of Time is indeed great, even better than AtL IMO. State of Euphoria is the weakest of the first Belladonna era, but is still a worthwhile addition to any record collection ('Be All, End All' is a total banger - just ask Behemoth).

About 12-15 years ago, I would have argued with you that ATL is hands down the best album that they ever released . . . and then I threw on ATL for the first time in years and said while staring at my stereo for a few seconds "This album has not aged well."

Spreading The Disease.

Still their most solid and complete album to date.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:43 pm 

I though Avantasia's later works were better than their earlier outputs, although some may disagree

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:52 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I though Avantasia's later works were better than their earlier outputs, although some may disagree

My favorite Avantasia album is (please don't throw stuff at me guys) "Angel of Babylon", so I can see where you're coming from.
I also (again, please don't throw stuff at me) prefer Avantasia over Edguy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:35 am 

Ragemanistan wrote:
In the Rock spectrum, I've often discussed Van Halen vs Van Hagar. I'm fully aware that Van Hagar is mostly watered down Mom Rock but how many Hard Rock bands have 4 straight #1 albums? I don't know of any off hand other than Van Halen. In defense of Eddie Van Halen during this era, how many bands/guitarists put out their best material their 7th through 10th albums? The only answers to that that I know of is maybe April Wine and possibly Rush if you include the live albums in the totals. Most bands/guitarists ran out of their best ideas by that point.

It's totally blasphemous, but VHIII is actually my favorite album of theirs, in spite of its flaws. Part of it is that it was my first full-album experience of theirs, I taped it when it debuted live randomly tuning in to some radio station. It's easier if you think of it as an EVH solo album with VH and Extreme band members guesting. The early albums are certainly "better" albums with more conventional songwriting that I'd recommend to people if they somehow hadn't heard VH before. Another part of it is that I just don't like either DLR or Hagar as vocalists. III certainly isn't Cherone's A-game, he does some strange things at times, but I still prefer him over them. The number of people who consider it one of the worst albums of all time baffles me, it just seems like a programmed herd mentality opinion dictated by journalists at the time that has stuck. It's probably the most underrated album of all time at this point. Tracks like "Fire in the Hole" and "Once" should be classics, regardless.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:56 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:

I find the Avantasia catalogue a bit inconsistent. The best albums came after the reformation / change in sound (The Scarecrow and Ghostlights), but then the first two are better than everything else they've done.

Black Label Society peaked with The Blessed Hellride and Hangover Music, which are albums four and five. Their last few have been better than the earliest stuff too. I think Zakk Sabbath may be helping, as Zakk seems to have injected a bit more of a Sabbathy groove into the newer stuff.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:14 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I though Avantasia's later works were better than their earlier outputs...

Undeniably so, IMO.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:53 am 

The Gathering by Testament was a lot more interesting than the bland thrash of their beginning.

Blind Guardians best work come during IFTOS and Nightfall and after

Black Sabbaths best stuff was the Dio albums. The first albums are spotty with a few good songs.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:12 pm 

Rodman wrote:
InnesI wrote:

Well it is subjective. I was never big into Spreading the Disease. We seem to differ a lot in taste since I also don't like Be All, End All. I don't like the riff (whether it is Anthrax version or Behemoths) and the lyrics and vocal pattern is actually off putting to me.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:36 pm 

JCP524 wrote:
The Gathering by Testament was a lot more interesting than the bland thrash of their beginning.

Black Sabbaths best stuff was the Dio albums. The first albums are spotty with a few good songs.

Oh dear.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:29 am 

Oh yeah, and I'd also say that Sepultura's best record came later in their career as well, with Chaos, A.D., where they switched from the slightly one-dimensional thrashing of their previous albums in favor of that sweet, mid-tempo groove, which proved to be more dynamic for their sound, IMHO.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:45 am 

Oh shit I forgot a couple!

Somebody mentioned Behemoth and... well, Demigod wrecks everything that they'd done before or since. Between decent black metal and mediocre death metal (and I'm not a fan of their last two albums but can acknowledge The Satanist as good), here's this monolithic, over the top spectacle.

Then there's Destruction. So here's the thing - in the earlier albums, the good songs are really fucking good, and the riffs are generally strong but the albums, on the whole, are.. above-average, I guess. The later albums are fine, but not something I go out of my way to listen to. The Antichrist, on the other hand? Consistently top-notch thrash, all the way through, from the top on down!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 am 

^^
I don't count an album seven years after the debut as "later career" when they have over three and a half decades of albums.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:47 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
^^
I don't count an album seven years after the debut as "later career" when they have over three and a half decades of albums.

I don't even know what the OP means by later, my favorite Panopticon album is his seventh but is that considered later?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:50 am 

For a more modern example I think the latest Evil Invaders album is their best work BY FAR. It might not be too far in their career but I would venture you cannot classify that one as "early" as far as years go.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:11 am 

Ragemanistan wrote:
About 12-15 years ago, I would have argued with you that ATL is hands down the best album that they ever released . . . and then I threw on ATL for the first time in years and said while staring at my stereo for a few seconds "This album has not aged well."

Maybe it's your ears that haven't aged well. Among The Living fuckin rules.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:20 am 

Viogression. The two albums they put out 30 years ago are total slogs of unoriginal Obituary worship. Their new album however is a huge improvement, there seems to be actual character and intensity to the songs on that one. Quite a strange arch for this band.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:49 am 

Old school Finnish death metal band Purtenance springs to mind. Formed in the earliest days of their country's scene, they put out one 1992 record, Member of Immortal Damnation, which, while not particularly bad, is just pretty standard and serviceable, and doesn't exactly stand on the same level as most other Finndeath records that came out that year or the year before (Slumber of Sullen Eyes, World Without God, Karelian Isthmus, Shadows of the Past to name a few). Then they broke up for ages and reformed in 2012 to drop the following year an absurdly heavy/brutal giant of a death metal album, Awaken From Slumber, which for my money blows their earliest material out of the water. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees with this, since not many seem to have paid attention to their reunion stuff, but they've put out a couple more solid releases since then and are still active today.

Just compare for yourself:

Member of Immortal Damnation (1992)
Spoiler: show

Awaken From Slumber (2013)

Paradox of Existence (2017)

Also on the subject of Finnish death metal, the last two Hooded Menace albums are definitely my two favourites from them, although I know a good chunk of their fanbase prefers the earlier material.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:45 pm 

JCP524 wrote:

My good god that's a scorching take

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 am 

Razakel wrote:
Old school Finnish death metal band Purtenance springs to mind. Formed in the earliest days of their country's scene, they put out one 1992 record, Member of Immortal Damnation, which, while not particularly bad, is just pretty standard and serviceable, and doesn't exactly stand on the same level as most other Finndeath records that came out that year or the year before (Slumber of Sullen Eyes, World Without God, Karelian Isthmus, Shadows of the Past to name a few). Then they broke up for ages and reformed in 2012 to drop the following year an absurdly heavy/brutal giant of a death metal album, Awaken From Slumber, which for my money blows their earliest material out of the water. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees with this, since not many seem to have paid attention to their reunion stuff, but they've put out a couple more solid releases since then and are still active today.

I haven't actually checked out Awaken From Slumber because it has mediocre ratings from aggregators, but the last two albums were pretty solid.

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:44 pm 

Personally I prefer the last three albums from Dying Fetus. I consider they managed to sound more technique without leaving their ferocious and brutal essence. The only exception would be Destroy the opossition, maybe their first record where they improve their musical skills.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:06 pm 

JCP524 wrote:

Fight me.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:10 am 

How about Thin Lizzy with Jailbreak?

brundlefly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:22 am 

Deathspell Omega continues to put out late-career bangers. The Long Defeat is another strong effort and their 8th full-length release.

Watain just put out what I would call not only a strong release, but a return to form in The Agony & Ecstasy of Watain, their 6th full-length.

Abigor has 18(!) full-lengths under their belt, and it's not a stretch to say that their latest, Totschläger, shows no signs of them relenting just yet.

Craft's White Noise full length is their fifth and likely their best.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:51 pm 

Aside from all the obvious trad metal picks, there's surprisingly a bunch of bands I can say this about. Sylosis's latest (Cycle Of Suffering) is easily the hookiest and most consistently engaging album they've done. Psychotic Waltz also - I like the debut quite a lot aside from the acid rock influence, but The God-Shaped Void is instead this dreamy, atmospheric vaguely doomy album that just has hooks and songs and class for days.

Hot take time: Exodus - Tempo of the Damned. This is their first one post-reunion, and by some fluke, it's got clean yet properly aggressive production, vitriol in ample amounts, Zetro vocals with the right combo of tongue-in-cheek lyrical clowning and genuine anger, a tough-guy attitude that doesn't come off as some failed knuckleheaded abortion, and groove metal elements that actually compliment all of that instead of flushing it down the drain. And "Blacklist". That main riff is the best shit I've ever heard out of them, bar none.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:59 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
How about Thin Lizzy with Jailbreak?

Is that really later in their career? Seems more like a mid-point.
They released their debut in '71 or '72 and their last album in '83.

Frankly, everything they did from '74 to the end is a classic. Great band.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:35 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:

Hot take time: Exodus - Tempo of the Damned. This is their first one post-reunion, and by some fluke, it's got clean yet properly aggressive production, vitriol in ample amounts, Zetro vocals with the right combo of tongue-in-cheek lyrical clowning and genuine anger, a tough-guy attitude that doesn't come off as some failed knuckleheaded abortion, and groove metal elements that actually compliment all of that instead of flushing it down the drain. And "Blacklist". That main riff is the best shit I've ever heard out of them, bar none.

Fully agree, it's an absolutely brilliant album. I'd add my own hot take and say Forbidden's Omega Wave too. First two are great but I just find myself putting on OW whenever I'm in the mood to listen to them

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:54 pm 

Ivan Drago wrote:
I'd add my own hot take and say Forbidden's Omega Wave too. First two are great but I just find myself putting on OW whenever I'm in the mood to listen to them

+1
"Omega Wave" is their magnum opus, IMO. Shockingly awesome album.
And I love their first two....but this one just brings the songwriting in spades!

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:42 pm 

Woods of Ypres are the first to come to mind. Their melodic black metal material was great and had some hits, but the final two albums were what really stuck out to me in their discography.

Ditto on Hangman's Chair. They started out playing some southern stoner/doom stuff like Down, but they too went down more of a gloomy gothic metal direction in the way of Paradise Lost or Type O Negative which suits them way better.

Yob have had a pretty consistent sound and discography, but I feel Atma and Clearing the Path to Ascend really saw the band stepping their game up and coming into their own.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next