Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm 

It’s finally happening, bring on the cosmic metal of death!!!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:32 pm 

Fuck yeah! The only album I've familiarized myself with of The Chasm's is Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm, but it's fucking sick and the times I've dipped into other songs of theirs I've dug what I've heard. This is big news!

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:45 pm 

I am hoping they go back to a more aggressive style like The Spell of Retribution. I really didn't like the direction of the last album that much.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:54 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
I am hoping they go back to a more aggressive style like The Spell of Retribution. I really didn't like the direction of the last album that much.

The Facebook post stated that this would be a "departure/detour" from Phase I and II, so maybe this one will be more in line with the material before that album.

Also if you look closely you can see the artwork from Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm!

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:27 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Also if you look closely you can see the artwork from Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm!

Good eye! That's pretty cool.

I honestly wasn't really into the instrumental album that much, but I'll certainly check out whatever this is.

Ghost of Christmas Last
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:29 pm 

So stoked! This is going to be instrumental, right?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm 

The instrumental album was excellent, but it'd be cool to get something more like the mid '00s material again or something entirely other. Guess we'll see. Corchado has a way of emphasizing various facets of his style every album he does, so it doesn't get stale.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:05 pm 

If this is instrumental again then I have no interest, sorry.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:20 pm 

Will purchase this, love all the albums they've released so far.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The instrumental album was excellent, but it'd be cool to get something more like the mid '00s material again or something entirely other. Guess we'll see. Corchado has a way of emphasizing various facets of his style every album he does, so it doesn't get stale.

Agree with ya totally Emp. A true artist. I've been a fan since the awesome Procession To The Infraworld album came out, and (like every album since then) this new one is a total no-brainer instant buy!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:49 pm 

I've kept thinking this band was done every time due to the insane amounts of time between albums, but he just keeps kicking.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:04 pm 

Hell yes, love The Chasm!

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:20 pm 

Would really prefer it if the new album had vocals this time. I can't really articulate why, but instrumental metal gets old for me really fast.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
I Am the Law wrote:

The Facebook post stated that this would be a "departure/detour" from Phase I and II, so maybe this one will be more in line with the material before that album.

Good catch. I could have looked at that 100 times and not noticed it at all. Hopefully this is a return to their latter material. I didn't mind the last album but instrumentals aren't my thing in a metal band

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:36 am 

Really need to get more into this band, I saw them live a few years ago, and they were good, everything about them strikes me as completely interesting tbh.

And there's a song off the second album can't remember the name its the second track that absolutely fucking rules

Perhaps.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:50 am 

I also realized that the title of this album originates from the lyrics of Conqueror and Warlord from The Spell of Retribution album. I think it's super cool that Corchado is making subtle nods to his past work here!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:52 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I've kept thinking this band was done every time due to the insane amounts of time between albums, but he just keeps kicking.

The fact that it takes him so long to release albums is just a testament to how much time, effort, and care he puts into this project. I have a very good feeling that this will be an absolute banger.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:04 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

The fact that it takes him so long to release albums is just a testament to how much time, effort, and care he puts into this project. I have a very good feeling that this will be an absolute banger.

Yeah I mean this time I didn't really think they were done, but between Farseeing and Conscious Creation I was pretty sure we wouldn't get anything else.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:32 am 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Would really prefer it if the new album had vocals this time. I can't really articulate why, but instrumental metal gets old for me really fast.

My perspective is limited as I haven't checked them out much beyond Farseeing, but I thought the instrumental songs on that record were really well written and that overall it was a pretty bold move to do lengthy instrumental songs as a death metal band, let alone a full album. Particularly because it's not like it's modern tech-death where you can easily fill up the void the lack of vocals would create. It reminds me a bit of the first 3 Taake records that all had an instrumental track that was really well done (didn't really need vocals on any of them).

All that said, I do guess a full album of it could be a bit tedious. I'll have to check out Phase I!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:35 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

My perspective is limited as I haven't checked them out much beyond Farseeing, but I thought the instrumental songs on that record were really well written and that overall it was a pretty bold move to do lengthy instrumental songs as a death metal band, let alone a full album. Particularly because it's not like it's modern tech-death where you can easily fill up the void the lack of vocals would create. It reminds me a bit of the first 3 Taake records that all had an instrumental track that was really well done (didn't really need vocals on any of them).

All that said, I do guess a full album of it could be a bit tedious. I'll have to check out Phase I!

Get the three albums they did from Procession to Spell of Retribution - all of them have primarily songs with vocals and are probably the best gateway to the band.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

Get the three albums they did from Procession to Spell of Retribution - all of them have primarily songs with vocals and are probably the best gateway to the band.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things about those 3 records. Thanks for the recommendation!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:00 am 

What I love about this band is that there’s no other band out there that really sounds like them. Corchado’s unique approach to death metal never comes across as him trying too hard to stand out, he clearly just loves heavy fucking metal and The Chasm’s sound is 100% a result of his passion for metal music, hence why The Chasm has so many influences from other metal sub genres besides death metal.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:32 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
What I love about this band is that there’s no other band out there that really sounds like them.

Check out Darkness Eternal, an old band from where I live, Edmonton. It was a one man project that was very much influenced by the Chasm. The guy behind the band, George, ended up playing live bass for The Chasm in the mid 2000s, so go figure.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 pm 

Listening to The Spell Of Retribution right now - can confirm that it fucking slaps. Man have I ever been missing out!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:09 pm 

Question:

What is everyone's favorite album by The Chasm?

This is an incredibly difficult decision as everything this band has done has been great. For me, everything from Deathcult For Eternity up to Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm could fit in this spot, but if I had to choose, The Spell of Retribution gets my vote by a hair.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 pm 

Looking forward to any new The Chasm.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:19 pm 

I really slept on buying their albums and I regret it. Need to do a slew of purchases when these albums get reissued. New one will definitely be an immediate purchase.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I really slept on buying their albums and I regret it. Need to do a slew of purchases when these albums get reissued. New one will definitely be an immediate purchase.

Don't know if they are still being distributed but I know they reissued a number of albums from their back catalogue. I had a hell of a time trying to find Conjuration of the Spectral Empire up until they finally reissued it. That's the album that got me into The Chasm so I have something of a soft spot for it.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:05 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Question:

This is an incredibly difficult decision as everything this band has done has been great. For me, everything from Deathcult For Eternity up to Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm could fit in this spot, but if I had to choose, The Spell of Retribution gets my vote by a hair.

"Farseeing" to me sounds like the apex of what they've always been doing, and it has their best production job. It sounds clear and crisp, basically just sounds "right." The atmosphere feels so much larger because of this. And despite it being half instrumental, the songs with lyrics are just as effective as the ones without.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 pm 

orphy wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:
Question:

"Farseeing" to me sounds like the apex of what they've always been doing, and it has their best production job. It sounds clear and crisp, basically just sounds "right." The atmosphere feels so much larger because of this. And despite it being half instrumental, the songs with lyrics are just as effective as the ones without.

The Mission/Arrival to Hopeless Shores is easily one of my favorite songs from them. Hoping we get some epic shit like this on the new album.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 pm 

I really hope this one has songs with vocals this time. The last album was a bit tough to get through imo.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:16 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Question:

From the Lost Years... by far. It's one of the most evocative and emotional death metal albums of all time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 pm 

The instrumental album was made because he was channeling the other part of his sound with the vocals on Acerus's last two albums. Check those out if ya can.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The instrumental album was made because he was channeling the other part of his sound with the vocals on Acerus's last two albums. Check those out if ya can.

You'd think I would have checked out Acerus by now given how much I love The Chasm, but I still need to get around to it. I know they play classic heavy metal, what bands are they comparable to?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:18 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

You'd think I would have checked out Acerus by now given how much I love The Chasm, but I still need to get around to it. I know they play classic heavy metal, what bands are they comparable to?

It's basically the old Chasm albums from the 2000s but with a slight bent toward trad metal - the last one has some fairly different sounding old school USPM vocals but it's obviously still his same guitar style. The one before that was very The Chasm, even moreso.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:23 am 

https://toiletovhell.com/review-the-chasm-the-scars-of-a-lost-reflective-shadow/

Apparently someone got the album early and reviewed it, according to the review this album will have vocals.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
https://toiletovhell.com/review-the-chasm-the-scars-of-a-lost-reflective-shadow/

Apparently someone got the album early and reviewed it, according to the review this album will have vocals.

EXCITE

Edit: It sounds like it's going to be a much more aggressive and stripped down album (by The Chasm's standards, anyways), which I'm all in favour for. Also that they're taking inspiration from their past music, but not rewriting it - again, I'm down for that! I'm getting pretty pumped for this record!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

EXCITE

Edit: It sounds like it's going to be a much more aggressive and stripped down album (by The Chasm's standards, anyways), which I'm all in favour for. Also that they're taking inspiration from their past music, but not rewriting it - again, I'm down for that! I'm getting pretty pumped for this record!

I love how this band is constantly morphing and changing up their sound with each album, yet it always distinctly sounds like The Chasm.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:27 pm 

One of my favorite Death Metal bands. Really excited and glad it will have vocals!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:03 pm 

Looks like Vic Records will be handling the CD release. So that should be good for access and distribution. Really hyped for this one.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next