Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:42 am 

Anthrax is another example of this for me.

Among the Living is usually regarded as their finest hour, but Spreading the Disease is my personal favorite album of theirs. Hell, I'd say ATL is in third place behind this and Persistence of Time.

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 am 

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Manilla Road - The Courts of Chaos
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Mekong Delta - Kaleidoscope
Archspire - Relentless Mutation

Already mentioned:

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Vektor - Outer Isolation

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty

That's a hard one. In last year's top 10 of 2000-2009 poll it was my #5 while Verisäkeet was #4. Honestly, my preference of these two constantly changes. My favorite album isn't considered the best work of Moonsorrow only when I'm in the mood for V: Hävitetty.

The same thing happens to Cirith Ungol between King of the Dead and One Foot in Hell. OFiH has that raw power and the coolest intro (yes, no intro actually!) and outro in metal and dethrone KotD as my favorite Cirith Ungol record once in a while.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:49 am 

I also have to agree with The Erosion of Sanity being my favorite Gorguts album. I love the sheer absurdity of Obscura and how forward thinking it was for death metal, but TEoS gives you the best of both worlds: you get the abstract technicality that Gorguts would be known for while still preserving the intense old school riffcraft of their debut. Easily one of my favorite death metal albums of all time.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:05 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Within Temptation - Mother Earth.
Instead of: Enter or The Heart of Everything, depending on who you ask.
I still, to this day, have never heard any album that even remotely sounds like Mother Earth, and it is everything I want from this style. Yes, that includes the rest of their output. Yes, that includes every Similar Artist listed on their page. Yes, that, too. And that. And that. Trust me. I've looked.

I never really thought about it before, but yeah it's true that is that there isn't really a soundalike for Mother Earth. Kingfisher Sky were the closest I thought I could remember, but I've just put Hallways of Dreams on following Mother Earth; I'm six tracks in and there's clear influence but it's still so far off the mark (this isn't me telling you to listen to KS, this is me saying I agree with you)

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 am 

jimbies wrote:
Anathema's Weather Systems is one of my favourite albums of all time. I know there is hardly any metal on it (besides some parts that I guess might fall into the Prog umbrella, but even that is pushing it), but for as much as I love most of their discography, that one is by far my favourite.

totally agree. 'Weather' is a perfect album.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:09 pm 

I like Spiritual Healing more than any other Death album.

Unleashed. I prefer Shadows in the Deep over Where No Life Dwells. Love them both really, but Shadows is #1.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 pm 

InnesI wrote:

Iron Maiden
My top-4 Iron Maiden albums are The X-Factor, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Brave New World. The first and last are generally not seen as their best work.

These are also my favorite 3 by them and coincidentally in that very same order.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:34 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Gorguts - Obscura sucks ass. Erosion of Sanity is excellent.

Obscura is often regarded as their most influential/iconic for good reasons, but I also have a strong preference for Erosion of Sanity, which is among my all time favorite death metal records.

jimbies wrote:
Anathema's Weather Systems is one of my favourite albums of all time. I know there is hardly any metal on it (besides some parts that I guess might fall into the Prog umbrella, but even that is pushing it), but for as much as I love most of their discography, that one is by far my favourite.

In Flames' Clayman. I feel like most people love the stuff that came before it.

I agree with both picks.

I love Anathema's music, but most of it is very sorrowful and depressing and I have a hard time listening to it. So I end up hardly ever listening to their music as it affect me too much. Weather Systems is an exception, as even if it's melancholic on many occasions, it's also very hopeful and full of love, and I just thoroughly enjoy it for what it is. So it's also, in a way, my favorite Anathema record because I spend more time listening to it then any other of their releases, regardless of how good they are.

I like most In Flames record up until Colony, and I enjoy bits and pieces of Come Clarity. I love their early stuff, but Clayman always had a special place for me as it was their first record I ever got, and me and my friends in high school spent a lot of time listening to it together.

SquirrelHunt wrote:
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

I'm pretty sure this is their mot renowned album. It's also my favorite.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:51 pm 

I have a hard time thinking of albums that are clearly my favorite within a band's discography while also being clearly not their most popular.

Crack the Skye is my favorite Mastodon record, but not by a long stretch. I also love Remission and Blood Mountain. I think Blood Mountain is their most popular?

In The Absence of Truth by Isis is probably my favorite, although I also love Panopticon, which is often regarded as their magnum opus. To be fair I love everything Isis, but eh, for the benefit of the discussion, I picked ITAoT as my favorite :P

Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky is my favorite. Some prefer the following two as they are "pure" black metal, but I've always loved the longer tracks on ABITNS and the trace elements of death metal in the songwriting, especially in the drums.

In Dark Tranquillity's catalog, my prefered record is Damage Done.

Otherwise, I can think of albums like Realm of Chaos by Bolt Thrower or Sleep's Holy Mountain as my favorite records by both bands, but not by a long stretch, and I can't tell for sure if Those Once Loyal and Dopesmoker are very clearly the most popular albums of these bands respectively.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:22 pm 

Breeding the Spawn is Suffocation's best work, such a shame the production is lacking.

I would assume that Caligorge is probably most revered for "She Lay Gutted" but I much prefer "Cranial Impalement".

Morbid Angel's best work is Formulas Fatal To the Flesh, not only is that blasphemy around these parts but I'll do you one better, Altars isnt even top 5. Gasp. blasphemy. F C K B D H A G. E doesnt count because its a live album and I doesn't count because...... it just doesnt lol

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm 

It's interesting you have Morbid Angel going from their pinnacle with "F" then immediately to their low point with "G." Never saw anyone rank MA's discography like that.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:04 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
It's interesting you have Morbid Angel going from their pinnacle with "F" then immediately to their low point with "G." Never saw anyone rank MA's discography like that.

I've always felt that Gateways was alittle too plodding for my tastes. Also please note that I dont view this as a huge fall off, i'm not suggesting Gateways is a bad album, I just dont prefer it to some of their others, but I hold Morbid Angel in very high regard, so even their lesser albums IMO are great.

CreepingDeath16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:09 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

You think Gateways is worse than Illud? I agree that Formulas is their best.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

You think Gateways is worse than Illud? I agree that Formulas is their best.

No. I jokingly mentioned that Illud doesnt count because Its obviously their worst, although I really do love the song Nevermore. I also chose not to rank the live albums.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:43 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I like most In Flames record up until Colony, and I enjoy bits and pieces of Come Clarity. I love their early stuff, but Clayman always had a special place for me as it was their first record I ever got, and me and my friends in high school spent a lot of time listening to it together.

Same. Clayman will always be a "summer" album for me. Totally reminds me of the last summer of high school, and a lot of long, long car rides.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:44 pm 

Another band I thought of was Baroness. Not sure which album of theirs is generally considered to be the best so this might not apply, but I think Purple might actually be my favorite Baroness record (its SUPER close between that one and the Blue record).

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:50 pm 

I was gonna say Erosion of Sanity for Gorguts but I still haven't heard the whole of obscura, but once track 7 ripped off like track 4 or something like that, I just kinda stopped paying attention, Erosion is better to my tastes, thats just kinda the way it is lol

Def agree about Breeding being Suffos best album tho

Perhaps.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:15 pm 

It's a shame that Breeding the Spawn has such muddy production, the songs off of that album sound absolutely NASTY live. If it had the production value of the two albums that its sandwiched between, then I feel like it would be placed amongst their best works with most fans.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:29 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
It's a shame that Breeding the Spawn has such muddy production, the songs off of that album sound absolutely NASTY live. If it had the production value of the two albums that its sandwiched between, then I feel like it would be placed amongst their best works with most fans.

This is one of the few exceptions (at least for me) where I think a remixing of an album is warranted.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 pm 

Considered Dead is the best Gorguts album.
The Ultimate Incantation is the best Vader album.
Soulside Journey is the best Darkthrone album.
Harmony Corruption is the best Napalm Death album.
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka is the best Nile album.
The Infernal Depths of Hatred is the best Anata album.
Affiliated with the Suffering is the best Blood Red Throne album.
Temple of Knowledge is the best Kataklysm album.
The Crusher is the best Amon Amarth album.
With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness is the best At the Gates album.
Forever Underground is the best Vital Remains album.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:46 pm 

Megadeth - So Far, So Good......So What. Peace Sells and RiP get plenty of attention (rightly so as they are fantastic) however, I always pick SFSGSW over them when I spin Megadeth.
Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade. In a nearly flawless discography where Realm of Chaos, Those Once Loyal and ....For Victory seem to be the most popular, I'll always lean toward the IVth Crusade when spinning Bolt Thrower. It was the first album of theirs I heard and still my favourite.
Death - Individual Thought Patterns. I switch between Human and ITP almost daily as my preferred Death album. Like Bolt Thrower they have a nearly flawless catalogue. Today I'm leaning toward ITP. I feel it's more technical than Human whereas Human has a slightly heavier sound.
Kreator - Extreme Aggression. Most point to Pleasure to Kill or Coma of Souls as the best Kreator albums but for me it's always EA. Fast, aggressive, technical and just downright ferocious. Has everything I look for in a metal album.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:02 pm 

true_death wrote:
The Infernal Depths of Hatred is the best Anata album.

I fucking love this album. It sounds like they took the Florida and Gothenburg death metal scenes and smashed them together while adding a dose of late 90's/early 2000's tech-death. Such an intense and at times even emotional album.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:55 pm 

Engla Tocyme by Forefather. Everyone talks about Steadfast which is also fantastic
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:06 pm 

I love The Crimson Idol to death, and that's largely considered to be W.A.S.P.'s best album. But another contender for that space for me is Inside The Electric Circus; an album which most fans and even the band themselves tend to ignore.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:39 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
Gorguts - Obscura sucks ass. Erosion of Sanity is excellent.

Obscura is often regarded as their most influential/iconic for good reasons, but I also have a strong preference for Erosion of Sanity, which is among my all time favorite death metal records.

It's definitely super groundbreaking and influential, but it's incredibly goofy sounding and lame. Been shat on by pretty much every dissonant band to ever take influence from it.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:37 am 

Opeth's Ghost Reveries rather than Blackwater Park or MAYH. I don't hate either of those or anything, I just like Reveries a lot better. That album is a really harrowing roller coaster ride and I adore the motifs between songs

King Diamond's Voodoo. Maybe I got burnt out spinning Them a hundred million times in college, because whenever I want to listen to KD I will put Voodoo on. And maybe more controversially I don't really like Conspiracy all that much.

Forever Underground
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:19 am 

true_death wrote:
Forever Underground is the best Vital Remains album.

I totally agree on this one :p

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:58 am 

I tried to think albums that are nowhere near the top of the bands' discography in general consensus. I don't think naming Ghost Reveries from Opeth is all that good of an example for this thread.

Behemoth - Sventevith. This is a bit of a cheat choice because it represents a different era of the band but nevertheless, it's easily my favorite album of theirs.

The Ocean - Heliocentric. Granted, I haven't really delved into the two newest albums but I always loved The Ocean when they went for the lighter tone, since especially early the more aggressive parts were mired in bouncy metalcore riffs.

Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise. This isn't even a "different era" choice, I really like some of the later material, like Tragic Idol. Lost Paradise still packs the biggest punch and has that osdm feel to it.

JoeBradley
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:24 am 

For me it's "Old Mornings Dawn" by Summoning.

I see a lot of people who consider this album to be pretty middle of the road for Summoning's discography, that this album simply kept the sound of Summoning alive during the 2010's - standard stuff for what they were known for, but nothing too special.

However I view this album as their absolute best, I may have some bias here as it was the first Summoning album I had ever listened to- and it was absolutely magical. I was enthralled from beginning to end, the album completely sucked me in. I fell in love with the soundscape that they had built, it was so easy to get lost in the music- I loved it.

For me, this is an album that I can throw on an immediately be taken to another world - and that is why I love it so much. Of course it goes a further than the soundscape, there are moments on this album that I absolutely adore: the sharp contrast and beautiful transition between tracks one and two is absolutely electric, not to mention other songs such as track four, The White Tower

I have since returned to Summoning's full discography, but for me nothing has quite captured the enchanting charm that Old Mornings Dawn has for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!

I'm completely new to Metallum and this was my first post, hopefully I didn't make any mistakes :')

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:24 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
It's definitely super groundbreaking and influential, but it's incredibly goofy sounding and lame. Been shat on by pretty much every dissonant band to ever take influence from it.

I'll have to agree that Obscura was surpassed by the albums it influenced. It's a rare occurence to see bands outdoing those they took influence from, but this one fits the bill for me. I never really liked Obscura all that much to begin with, but with bands like Ad Nauseam releasing stuff like Imperative Imperceptible Impulse, I see less and less reasons to go back to Obscura, while I still spin Erosion of Sanity on a regular basis.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:27 am 

Korn-Life is Peachy
Therion-Secret of the Runes
Dio-Holy Diver
Anthrax-Spreading the Disease
Slayer-South of Heaven
Black Sabbath-Tyr
At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul

SkeetTheKid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:00 pm 

Municipal Waste - Waste ‘em All

Most would say that their best is Art of Partying and while that does have plenty of ragers that shred
Faces at their gigz, this one seems the most most fast and off the wall to me.

Dying Fetus - Purification Through Violence

The undeniable trademark of a Dying Fetus is the sudden switch from crushing riff to crazy solos and sweeps *makes guitar noises with mouth*. And while there are much more impressive renditions of these on other albums such as Reign Supreme or Wrong One To Fuck With I just enjoy the enraged feel of the lyrics vocal tone and instrumental over all which I really feel on this one.

Ivan Drago
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 pm 

Forbidden - Omega Wave
Such a brilliant comeback, vocals were outstanding, still hope they'll get back together and put out a worthy follow up

Cynic - Traced in Air
As good as Focus is I've always had a bit of a hard time with the production. TIA feels a much more cohesive album, I've always wondered how much of an input Tymon had in the song writing

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
I still prefer Barlow as a singer, but Gettysburg is by far the best song they ever made, others like Declaration Day, Waterloo and Atilla just automatically get my head banging

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:42 pm 

Cabecao wrote:
Kreator - Extreme Aggression. Most point to Pleasure to Kill or Coma of Souls as the best Kreator albums but for me it's always EA. Fast, aggressive, technical and just downright ferocious. Has everything I look for in a metal album.

Good call. Totally agree.
I love all of their 80s stuff, but this one is just a head above the others (although the gap is closing as I'm digging 'Terrible Certainty' more now, than ever).

klaar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:10 pm 

Katatonia - Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision

Darkthrone - everything they made after 2006's The cult is alive is better than their so called "classics". I really love how they managed to change their sound without lose their raw essence. Circle The Wagons and FOAD are top 10 of all time for me.

Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn is one of the best death metal albums ever. Their best for me. Everything is amazing on this album.

Anthrax - State of Euphoria. For me, is way better than Among the Living. Great song and the best riffs they ever made.

Opeth - Watershed. I really love Blackwater Park, but Watershed is an amazing album that most of time is ignored.

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind. Their best. They never made anything better than this absolute masterpiece.

Trivium - Vengeance Falls. A lot of people doesn't like this one, claiming that they sounded a lot like Disturbed, but I totally disagree. This is a solid album, with great songs, amazing guitar work and amazing vocals. Their best for me.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:52 am 

Depends on who you ask but I assume a part of the metal community may prefer later Corrosion of Conformity and DRI albums whereas for me their debuts are best. Napalm Death could be another one

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:04 am 

A few off the top of my head:

Amorphis - Am Universum, tied with Tuonela (there's something about these lighter, rockier albums that just clicks with me)

Coroner - Grin (I love all their albums, but this is the one I keep returning to most. I even wish they'd have gone further into the bleak, repetitive industrial direction)

Testament - Low (This is the one of their 90's albums where they got that groove/death style just right)

Enslaved - Below the Lights (not sure if an unpopular choice but most folks tend to prefer their earlier works)

Necrophobic - Hrimthursum (although the debut and the last two are amazing too, this is the most epic one)

In Flames - Subterranean (the overlooked sweet spot between the fat sound of the debut and carefully crafted melodies of the couple that followed)

Illdisposed - 1-800 Vindication (Sure, the old albums are great as well, but this one is a perfect example of "modern" melodeath done right)

Last edited by mirons on Fri May 27, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:07 am 

JoeBradley wrote:
For me it's "Old Mornings Dawn" by Summoning.

I see a lot of people who consider this album to be pretty middle of the road for Summoning's discography, that this album simply kept the sound of Summoning alive during the 2010's - standard stuff for what they were known for, but nothing too special.

However I view this album as their absolute best, I may have some bias here as it was the first Summoning album I had ever listened to- and it was absolutely magical. I was enthralled from beginning to end, the album completely sucked me in. I fell in love with the soundscape that they had built, it was so easy to get lost in the music- I loved it.

For me, this is an album that I can throw on an immediately be taken to another world - and that is why I love it so much. Of course it goes a further than the soundscape, there are moments on this album that I absolutely adore: the sharp contrast and beautiful transition between tracks one and two is absolutely electric, not to mention other songs such as track four, The White Tower

I have since returned to Summoning's full discography, but for me nothing has quite captured the enchanting charm that Old Mornings Dawn has for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!

I'm completely new to Metallum and this was my first post, hopefully I didn't make any mistakes :')

I absolutely fucking love Summoning for mostly the same reasons, cheers! It's my "portal to another world" as well :D While OMD isn't my personal favourite, it's a brilliant record and I feel like they explored a lot of new avenues on it while still remaining firmly within the Summoning sound. The only stupid thing about it is that the bonus tracks aren't always included, and it doesn't really feel "complete" without them imo. But that's on me since I bought and only listened to the deluxe version on release, which includes both in addition to the downscaled variants of the title track and Caradhras. Guess it would've been nice if they hadn't bonus trackified anything to begin with, but iirc both songs were leftovers from the Oath Bound sessions so I guess I'm just happy we got them at all!

Anyway, welcome to Metallum dude!

Kalimata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:45 am 

I consider the Black Album being Metallica most accomplished work. I don't get the hate of many for this album. The "it's not thrash anymore so it's bad" claims are so narrow-minded and stupid, as if all thrash was synonym of good. There's even one cunt here who described Master of Puppets in a review as the beginning of all nu metal. Well...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 am 

Kalimata wrote:
I consider the Black Album being Metallica most accomplished work. I don't get the hate of many for this album. The "it's not thrash anymore so it's bad" claims are so narrow-minded and stupid, as if all thrash was synonym of good. There's even one cunt here who described Master of Puppets in a review as the beginning of all nu metal. Well...

Can't say that I agree at all. Regardless of his over-the-top attitude, UltraBoris had a point once he claimed that Metallica were like Keanu Reeves with their good action scenes (thrash riffs). :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next