Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
overtenmy
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 296
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 am 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
5 Swallowed - Lunarterial
0 Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

The Swallowed and Spectral Voice albums are great! I really liked the Spectral Voice “Necrotic Doom” demo.

1. Drawn and Quartered-Congregation Pestilence
2. Incantation-Blasphemy
3. Immolation-Close To a World Below
4. Morbid Angel-Gateways to Annihilation
5. Bolt Thrower-…For Victory
6. Slugathor-Circle of Death
7. Hyperdontia-Nexus of Teeth
8.Desecresy-The Doom Skeptron
9. Spectral Voice-Eroded Corridors of Unbeing
10. Binah-Phobiate

Top
 Profile  
Runko
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:38 pm
Posts: 386
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:07 am 
 

1. Entombed - Clandestine

Top
 Profile  
KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:06 pm
Posts: 259
Location: Suomi Finland Bukkake
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:34 am 
 

I always love these. I wish we could redo the M-A official greatest sub-genre albums of all time list so I could contribute to it.

1) Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness
2) Morbid Angel- Blessed Are The Sick
3) Deicide- Deicide
4) Death- Scream Bloody Gore
5) Possessed- Seven Churches
6) Carcass- Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
7) Autopsy- Mental Funeral
8) Obituary- Slowly We Rot
9) Dismember- Like An Ever Flowing Stream
10) Repulsion- Horrified
_________________
hakarl wrote:
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Top
 Profile  
pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Posts: 617
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:14 pm 
 

This list is nearly impossible to make so i'm not going to put numbers on them.

Breeding the Spawn by Suffocation - Maybe the greatest album ever if not for the production.
Formulas Fatal to the Flesh by Morbid Angel - Morbid's best album
Covenant by Morbid Angel - Nostalgia
Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse- One of the few albums i can literally recite word for word the whole way through
In Their Darkend shrines by Nile - IMO this is the best Nile has ever sounded
Demigod by Behemoth - Such a powerful drum performance and I loved the vocal layering, Slaves Shall Serve might be best death metal song
None So Vile by Cryptopsy - Ferociously catchy
Souls to Deny by Suffocation - Such an underrated album, great production, plus Mike Smith
Anatomy is Destiny by Exhumed - Prefer this slightly over Gore Metal due to the production
Chapters of Repugnance by Defeated Sanity - That monstrous tone and the aggression of AJ Magana

Honorable mentions to albums that IMO belong but arent straight up death metal.
This is Exile by Whitechapel - Absolutely great album, has all the hooks
Senseless Order by Signs of the Swarm - Very similar to Breeding the Spawn in that the only flaw to this album is the production
Absolvere by Signs of the Swarm - Relatively new album so we'll see if it stands the test of time, but nasty from start to finish
Soul of a New Machine by Fear Factory - equally industrial but powerful album lots of memorable moments
Enemy of the Music Business by Napalm Death - This probably will get lumped more with grind than death metal but such an energetic and masterfully catchy album

Top
 Profile  
Judas Maiden
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Posts: 508
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:47 pm 
 

In no particular order and 10 isn't enough!

Morbid Angel - Covenant
Obituary - Cause of Death
Death - Human
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Entombed - Clandestine
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated
Bolt Thrower - For Victory
Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious
Deicide - Legion

Top
 Profile  
JCP524
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:37 pm
Posts: 54
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm 
 

10. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh-Morbid Angel
9. The Jester Race-In Flames
8. Slaughter of the Soul-At the Gates
7. Cause of Death-Obituary
6. With Vilest of Worms to Dwell-Hollenthon
5. Black Seeds of Vengeance-Nile
4. In Their Darkened Shrines-Nile
3. Clandestine-Entombed
2. Covenant-Morbid Angel
1. Blessed Are the Sick-Morbid Angel

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1608
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:13 pm 
 

KaiKasparek wrote:
I always love these. I wish we could redo the M-A official greatest sub-genre albums of all time list so I could contribute to it.

1) Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness
2) Morbid Angel- Blessed Are The Sick
3) Deicide- Deicide
4) Death- Scream Bloody Gore
5) Possessed- Seven Churches
6) Carcass- Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
7) Autopsy- Mental Funeral
8) Obituary- Slowly We Rot
9) Dismember- Like An Ever Flowing Stream
10) Repulsion- Horrified

Great list but I'm not sure why that thrash metal album from Possessed is in there. Great album tho.
Fear Factory should have no place on any of these lists too, no matter how good SOANM is.

Judas Maiden wrote:
In no particular order and 10 isn't enough!

Morbid Angel - Covenant
Obituary - Cause of Death
Death - Human
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Entombed - Clandestine
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated
Bolt Thrower - For Victory
Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious
Deicide - Legion

I knew you'd have a excellent list JM.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3345
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 pm 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Great list but I'm not sure why that thrash metal album from Possessed is in there.


A lot of people consider that the first death metal album. It's not like Scream Bloody Gore is all that much further, it's just a question of where you draw the line. And equally if not more valid as the Bathory, In Flames, At The Gates, Opeth, Hypocrisy, Carcass, Edge of Sanity, Fear Factory, Cattle Decapitation, Fallujah, Misery Index, Terrorizer, Gojira, Repulsion, Napalm Death, Exhumed, Children of Bodom, or even later Death albums mentioned and such.

Top
 Profile  
Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am
Posts: 246
Location: The Summerlands
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:16 pm 
 

Let's see:

1. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
2. Behemoth - The Apostasy
3. Cannibal Corpse - Kill
4. Vader - Litany
5. Dead Congregation - Promulgation Of The Fall
6. Dyscarnate - And So It Came To Pass
7. Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
8. Suffocation - Despise The Sun
9. Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
10. Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1608
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:44 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Great list but I'm not sure why that thrash metal album from Possessed is in there.


A lot of people consider that the first death metal album.

Yep, some do (hi Hells), however I don't. I think it's just the poor demoish production and performance that give it the illusion of being death metal. Without a doubt it's a stepping stone to death metal tho.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
It's not like Scream Bloody Gore is all that much further, it's just a question of where you draw the line.

Yep, SBG is where I draw the line...pretty much...tho Leprosy for me is where it's fully defined, imo.

Top
 Profile  
KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:06 pm
Posts: 259
Location: Suomi Finland Bukkake
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 pm 
 

I'm not sure what's sillier, considering Seven Churches a thrash album or a black metal album. Do people consider Revelations of Oblivion a thrash album?
_________________
hakarl wrote:
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Top
 Profile  
Oheao
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm
Posts: 125
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 pm 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Great list but I'm not sure why that thrash metal album from Possessed is in there.


A lot of people consider that the first death metal album.

Yep, some do (hi Hells), however I don't. I think it's just the poor demoish production and performance that give it the illusion of being death metal. Without a doubt it's a stepping stone to death metal tho.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
It's not like Scream Bloody Gore is all that much further, it's just a question of where you draw the line.

Yep, SBG is where I draw the line...pretty much...tho Leprosy for me is where it's fully defined, imo.

Not just some, a lot of people call Seven Churches the first death metal album. Not that it should meet anyway because it's their list.

Top
 Profile  
Nazgul1974
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 am
Posts: 46
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 pm 
 

Here´s my list:

1. Pestilence - Consuming Impulse.
2. Autopsy - Severed Survival.
3. Death - Leprosy.
4. Desultory - Into Eternity.
5. Immolation - Dawn of Possession.
6. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten.
7. Entombed - Left Hand Path
8. Deicide - Deicide.
9. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick.
10. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth.

Special mentions:

Carcass - Necroticism-Descanting the Insalubrious
Vader - Black to the Blind
Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene
Immolation - Unholy Cult
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Gorefest - Mindloss

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1608
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:02 am 
 

KaiKasparek wrote:
I'm not sure what's sillier, considering Seven Churches a thrash album or a black metal album. Do people consider Revelations of Oblivion a thrash album?

I'll tell ya what's sillier Kai, actually using the word sillier.
But seriously, I've been a fan since the late 80's and I don't recall them being called anything other than thrash back then. Sure, they were used as an example of an influence on death metal but you'd never see them on DM lists, you'd see them on thrash lists.
However there has been a fair bit of metal revision since and I'm happy to call em death/thrash, maybe even proto death and certainly happy to use them as an example of early black metal.
I think that the difference between say Death and Possessed is that Death progressed their sound in a heavier direction from the demo's through SBG and Leprosy to be unquestionably death metal, but Possessed refined their sound to be thrash from the demos through to Eyes Of Horror, tho the vocals are where the lines blur, but the music is rough aggressive thrash to me. As for the fantastic Revelations album it's definitely death/thrash.

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1608
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:24 am 
 

Nazgul1974 wrote:
Here´s my list:

1. Pestilence - Consuming Impulse.
2. Autopsy - Severed Survival.
3. Death - Leprosy.
4. Desultory - Into Eternity.
5. Immolation - Dawn of Possession.
6. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten.
7. Entombed - Left Hand Path
8. Deicide - Deicide.
9. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick.
10. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth.

This list kicks fuckin ass too. Interesting call putting Desultory in there.

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:49 am 
 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Souls to Deny by Suffocation - Such an underrated album, great production, plus Mike Smith

Chapters of Repugnance by Defeated Sanity - That monstrous tone and the aggression of AJ Magana



Hell yeah, Chapters of Repugnance is some of the heaviest death metal ever produced.
Also really love Souls to Deny, oddly enough my favourite Suffocation album.
_________________
Listen to BONEJAMMER
crusty metalpunk for fans of skeleton warriors and machine guns

Top
 Profile  
Kalimata
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 am
Posts: 192
Location: France
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:15 pm 
 

Deicide - Deicide
Obituary - The End Complete
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Morbid Angel - Gateway to Annihilation
Loudblast - Sublime Dementia
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth
Death - Leprosy
Septic Flesh - Esoptron
Massacra - Enjoy the Violence
Angel Corpse - Exterminate

Top
 Profile  
King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 pm
Posts: 371
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:45 pm 
 

^
Finally, someone else who puts Massacra in their top 10! The End Complete is an interesting choice as well.

Top
 Profile  
Kalimata
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 am
Posts: 192
Location: France
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:15 am 
 

Slowly We Rot or Cause of Death are sure great classics but The End Complete has always been my favorite Obituary album. It's massively heavy, dark and groovy, and the riffs and drums are insane.
As for Massacra, I'm French so it felt more obvious to me to put them in the list. I could have chosen Final Holocaust too for its chaotic rage and violence but Enjoy the Violence is slightly better composed and produced.

Top
 Profile  
Pizzasmasher
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:16 pm
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:32 am 
 

Venenum - trance of death

The crown - deathrace king

Chapel of disease - Mysterious arts...

Morgoth - cursed

Edge of sanity - The spectral sorrows

The chasm - farseeing...

Stargazer - a merging...

Morbus Chron - Sweven


Are albums that are pretty much missing in the lists above ( i, myself, couldnt chose ten; though Symbolic, leprosy, blessed are..., cause of.. and clandestine would be surely part of it)

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 2145
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:54 pm 
 

Top 10 favorites, mix of personal relevance and overall quality. Sub-genre irrelevant.

10. Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
The first death metal album that I ever owned, and what sent me down the path back in 2000.

9. Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
While there are other prog death bands that are better overall, this album (and its virtually flawless title track) always stands out to me as the sub-genre's pinnacle.

8. Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation
Maybe not their best, but as I said, it's my favorite of their work. It did away with some of the weaker aspects of their last few albums (I think "God of Emptiness" and "Caesar's Palace" are both fairly weak, personally), and just delivers on a summation of their career up to that point.

7. Krisiun - Conquerors of Armageddon
Another early favorite of mine, I'd honestly say that Krisiun influenced what I look for in death metal more than any other band, and this still stands as their best work 22 years later.

6. Misery Index - Heirs to Thievery
The album that made me a fan, and the one I come back to the most.

5. Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory
I almost said Gore Metal, but this is not only one of the best comeback albums I've ever heard, but also the point where I believed that Exhumed had cemented themselves as the best Carcass clone, and maybe even exceeded the original gore masters.

4. The Crown - Crowned Unholy
A bit of a cheat because it's a re-recording of Crowned in Terror, but the Johan versions of each song stand out more for me because of how much better his voice fits the melodic death/thrash n' roll feel of the band.

3. Dying Fetus - Stop at Nothing
A fantastic band with a unique style, and this is where they "clicked" for me.

2. Suffocation - Pierced From Within
The album that codified BDM. All that needs to be said.

1. Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead
Like Exhumed above, I thought about tossing the album that introduced me to them, Foreshadowing Our Demise, but this one is just such a perfect encapsulation of what I love about the band to not call it my favorite album of theirs, and my favorite period (as of this list, anyhow). Just the way "Overlord" starts the album with that Conquest of the Planet of the Apes sample, wild and meandering in its message but direct and primal in its delivery, is everything great about this album.
_________________
Dembo wrote:
It just dawned on me that if there was a Christian equivalent of Cannibal Corpse, they could have the song title I Cum Forgiveness.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
praey
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 am
Posts: 858
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:00 pm 
 

In no particular order:

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Deicide - Deicide
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Death - Human
Possessed - Seven Churches
Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

I tried to keep this to "pure" death metal and left out bands that play hybrid genres like black-death, death-thrash, deathgrind, etc. To be honest, I'm not that interested in pure death metal, so this was actually kind of tough to put together.

Top
 Profile  
Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 443
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:52 am 
 

Death: Human
Monstrosity: Imperial Doom
Morbid Angel: Covenant
Sorrow: Hatred and Disgust
Obituary: Cause of Death
Dismember: Death Metal
Bolt Thrower: The IVth Crusade
Suffocation: Pierced from Within
Immolation: Majesty & Decay
Nile: Annihilation of the Wicked
_________________
[My Soundcloud || My Last.fm || Concerts I've Attended]

Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1599
Location: Catalunya
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:37 pm 
 

One album per band and in no order (I love them all equally):

1) Bolt Thrower 'Those once loyal'
2) Morbid Angel 'Altars of madness'
3) Deicide s/t
4) Death 'Scream bloody gore'
5) Obituary 'The end complete'
6) Napalm Death 'Harmony corruption'
7) Suffocation 'Pierced from within'
8) Entombed 'Left hand path'
9) Benediction 'Scriptures'
10) Terrorizer 'World downfall'
_________________
Maggot penetration wrote:
Nothing wrong with not liking shit music

TheLoneForest wrote:
Boomerism off the mf charts


Last edited by Lagartija on Fri May 27, 2022 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1599
Location: Catalunya
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:50 pm 
 

Zerberus wrote:
War Master - Pyramid of the Necropolis (2011)
Trenchrot - Necronomic Warfare (2014)

Discovered that War Master album recently and it does indeed rule. Not familiar with Trenchrot, will give them a whirl, cheers :thumbsup:

Top
 Profile  
collingwood77
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 pm
Posts: 334
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:48 pm 
 

These are obviously the best I've heard of rather than any kind of literal, absolute best - you can't rate what you haven't heard.

1 Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated
2 Vital Remains - Forever Underground
3 Deicide - Stench of Redemption - I want to comment on this one - the songwriting, energy and passion were back; Ralph Santoll's power metal style solos were interesting and enjoyable and the other members of the band were outstanding. I'm surprised few mention it here - it is like it has just been forgotten in more recent years, while s/t and Legion are still as Big as ever.
4 Deicide - Serpents of the Light - melodic, well-produced, catchy and with some interesting sociological and theological lyrcs (eg Blame it on God) - prinbably their best album lyrically.
5 Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth - outstanding and interesting Death Metal from 1992 - can hold its own against anything released that year, strong philosophical type lyrics and interesting sound effects (the spoken vicar's voice on Death Requiem, the forest sounds on Nocturnal, turning a disease name into a cool DM chorus - Lymphosarcoma, etc.) Don't judge them by their later material.
6 Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent - Another early Christian DM album with an unusual vocal style. The band had just come out of its Slayer phase and were experimenting, but i think they created something brilliant almost by accident.
7 Saffar - Mandatory El Arshy - Brutal Death metal from a (then) young Indonesian band with pro-Islamic lyrics.
8 Malevolent Creation - Warkvlt - some outstanding and motivated work, Shock and Awe is killer. And a cover of Jack the Ripper by Hobbs Angel of Death.
9 Immolation - Shadows in the Light - one of their only albums that I can enjoy.
10 Suffocation self-titled, 2006 - Mike Smith, a ball of fire behind the kit, good clear production, Bind torture kill and Abomination reborn are clear highlights.

Just missed out:
11 Extol - Burial.
12 Sacrificium - Cold Black Piece of Flesh.


Last edited by collingwood77 on Sat May 28, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
LilTito
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:50 am 
 

I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 706
Location: Purgatory
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 am 
 

LilTito wrote:
I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

Here's one without ANY names from 80s or 90s. 3 of them were in my all time list as well

Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
StarGazer - The Scream That Tore the Sky
Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crépuscule
Gouge - Beyond Death
Death Breath - Stinking Up the Night
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Abscess - Through the Cracks of Death
The Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3345
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 am 
 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
LilTito wrote:
I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

Here's one without ANY names from 80s or 90s. 3 of them were in my all time list as well

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked


Nile has numerous releases in the 90s.

If I amended mine to include only first releases in '00 or later, I'd keep Sulphur Aeon, Entrails, Bloodbath, and Hour of Penance, and add:

Aeon - Rise To Dominate
Angerot - The Divine Apostate
Demonical - World Domination
Hail of Bullets - ...Of Frost and War
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Puteraeon - The Cthulhian Pulse: Call From the Dead City

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 3748
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:17 pm 
 

LilTito wrote:
I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

I already did.

Gravetemplar wrote:
1 Teitanblood - Death
2 Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
3 Chaos Echoes - Transient
4 Ad nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
5 Necros christos - Domedon doxomedon
5 Swallowed - Lunarterial
7 Gorguts - Colored Sands
8 Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
9 Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
0 Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

Honorable mentions because it's a 10 list album (in no particular order): Black Curse, Triumvir Foul, Antediluvian, Concrete Winds, Grave Miasma, Irkallian Oracle, Mitochondrion, Nile, Pyrrhon, Stargazer.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2721
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:34 pm 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
LilTito wrote:
I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

I already did.

Gravetemplar wrote:
1 Teitanblood - Death
2 Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
3 Chaos Echoes - Transient
4 Ad nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
5 Necros christos - Domedon doxomedon
5 Swallowed - Lunarterial
7 Gorguts - Colored Sands
8 Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
9 Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
0 Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

Honorable mentions because it's a 10 list album (in no particular order): Black Curse, Triumvir Foul, Antediluvian, Concrete Winds, Grave Miasma, Irkallian Oracle, Mitochondrion, Nile, Pyrrhon, Stargazer.


Close but Gorguts was a big name in the 90s. Especially when Obscura hit.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 3748
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:57 pm 
 

cultofkraken wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
LilTito wrote:
I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

I already did.

Gravetemplar wrote:
1 Teitanblood - Death
2 Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
3 Chaos Echoes - Transient
4 Ad nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
5 Necros christos - Domedon doxomedon
5 Swallowed - Lunarterial
7 Gorguts - Colored Sands
8 Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
9 Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
0 Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

Honorable mentions because it's a 10 list album (in no particular order): Black Curse, Triumvir Foul, Antediluvian, Concrete Winds, Grave Miasma, Irkallian Oracle, Mitochondrion, Nile, Pyrrhon, Stargazer.


Close but Gorguts was a big name in the 90s. Especially when Obscura hit.

Were they? I don't know, I can think of at least 10 bands from the 90s that were bigger than Gorguts. Not saying they weren't influential, that's a completely different thing. They weren't even the biggest Canadian death metal band, Cryptopsy were way bigger.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2721
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:30 pm 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Were they? I don't know, I can think of at least 10 bands from the 90s that were bigger than Gorguts. Not saying they weren't influential, that's a completely different thing. They weren't even the biggest Canadian death metal band, Cryptopsy were way bigger.


Well I do know. Yes they were. They were about as big as Cryptopsy when Obscura came out. They were all over metal media when Obscura came out and on top 10 lists that year. Largely regarded at the time as the biggest innovator in death metal. It was the late 90s but stilll counts.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
LilTito
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:59 pm 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
LilTito wrote:
I'll do you one better, make a top 10 list without the biggest names from 80s and 90s ;)

I already did.

Gravetemplar wrote:
1 Teitanblood - Death
2 Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
3 Chaos Echoes - Transient
4 Ad nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
5 Necros christos - Domedon doxomedon
5 Swallowed - Lunarterial
7 Gorguts - Colored Sands
8 Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
9 Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
0 Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

Honorable mentions because it's a 10 list album (in no particular order): Black Curse, Triumvir Foul, Antediluvian, Concrete Winds, Grave Miasma, Irkallian Oracle, Mitochondrion, Nile, Pyrrhon, Stargazer.

You did in fact, great list

Top
 Profile  
Oheao
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm
Posts: 125
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:45 am 
 

Has someone made a similar thread for black metal? I'm curious what the results would be.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3345
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:21 pm 
 

We did that three years ago.

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124420

Some turnover in active membership since then, but I imagine it would still be broadly similar.

Top
 Profile  
robotiq
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:08 am
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:46 pm 
 

cultofkraken wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Were they? I don't know, I can think of at least 10 bands from the 90s that were bigger than Gorguts. Not saying they weren't influential, that's a completely different thing. They weren't even the biggest Canadian death metal band, Cryptopsy were way bigger.


Well I do know. Yes they were. They were about as big as Cryptopsy when Obscura came out. They were all over metal media when Obscura came out and on top 10 lists that year. Largely regarded at the time as the biggest innovator in death metal. It was the late 90s but stilll counts.


True, I'm not a fan of "Obscura" at all, but Gorguts were the biggest name in Canadian death metal in the nineties because of the Morrisound/Roadrunner connection, and "Obscura" was a critical darlings record. Cryptopsy and Kataklysm were the young upstarts.

Top
 Profile  
Weerwolf
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:19 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:52 pm 
 

Below my preferred death metal albums (I assume this is the point of the topic):

Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness
Derketa - Goddess of Death
Rottrevore - Iniquitous
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Cruciamentum - Convocation of Crawling Chaos
Bastard Priest - Ghouls of the Endless Night
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
Necrowretch - Putrid Death Sorcery
Excoriate - On Pestilent Winds...
Asphyx - Last One On Earth

Top
 Profile  
Le_Lendemain
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:43 am
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:16 pm 
 

1. Autopsy | Mental Funeral (1991)
2. My Dying Bride | Turn Loose The Swans (1993)
3. Blood Incantation | Hidden History Of The Human Race (2019)
4. Gorement | The Ending Quest (1994)
5. Morbid Angel | Alters of Madness (1989)
6. Repulsion | Horrified (1989)
7. Immolation | Dawn of Possession (1991)
8. Autopsy | Severed Survival (1989)
9. Entombed | Left Hand Path (1990)
10. Rush | Caress of Steel (1975)

stc except #1 & #4

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1608
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:48 pm 
 

Le_Lendemain wrote:
1. Autopsy | Mental Funeral (1991)

Fuck yeah. Great to see Mental Funeral in anybodies list, let alone number 1.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Prairieshadow and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group