Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 pm 

For anyone who loves the Weather Systems as much as me, this is interesting.

Not sure if it should be in "metal discussion", as I highly doubt this project will be considered metal, but since we don't know for sure yet...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPEAjSjq_rc/

"Verified
Hello all. Just to make you aware that following ‘cellar door’ will be a new project entitled WEATHER SYSTEMS. Taking the name from the album, the music will be a continuation of the previous band’s legacy, So far this is a project by Daniel but it can expand..

Many blessings to all."

Considering Weather Systems is my favourite Anathema album, I am cautiously optimistic about this. Didn't really like much of what Anathema or Daniel released after Weather Systems, but there is always one or two great tracks on each release.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 pm 

I'm very curious what will come out of this, but I am trying to be careful with any expectations. There's been lots of very weird shit happening around him and I hope all the outlandish rumours are just that. I hope things will finally start heading for the better and I guess this is a decent indication of that, but we'll see.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm 

I'm not sure what to make of this. Vincent and Lee's voices are arguably my favorite thing about Anathema, so if they're not apart of it I'm not sure I'll be quite as interested unless he procures some other high-powered vocalists. Daniel's own voice just isn't suited to driving a band.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 am 

Somehow I get the feeling that we'll see several of these post-Anathema projects of Daniel, while we'll never really hear from the other ex-members again (maybe Cardoso, seems very active in other projects). I find it hard to believe they could stand on their own feet as noticable musicians without the shoulders of Anathema. I hope I'm wrong, I hope they just need the time out.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:47 am 

Great news - I liked the collaborative stuff he did with Anneke van Giersbergen, so here's hoping his new project turns out well.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:38 am 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
There's been lots of very weird shit happening around him and I hope all the outlandish rumours are just that. I hope things will finally start heading for the better and I guess this is a decent indication of that, but we'll see.

What's to this? What are some of the rumours/weird shit?

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:20 am 

If it sounds like Weather Systems and is a continuation of that record, then count me in. If not, then I have little hope of it being any good. The band's post WS material has been worse than dreadful.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Thu May 20, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:38 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of this. Vincent and Lee's voices are arguably my favorite thing about Anathema, so if they're not apart of it I'm not sure I'll be quite as interested unless he procures some other high-powered vocalists. Daniel's own voice just isn't suited to driving a band.

This.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:43 am 

jimbies wrote:
There's been lots of very weird shit happening around him and I hope all the outlandish rumours are just that. I hope things will finally start heading for the better and I guess this is a decent indication of that, but we'll see.

We had a whole thread about them rumors and other weird shit. Dig in;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131587

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
If it sounds like Weather Systems and is a continuation of that record, then count me in. If not, then I have little hope of it being any good. The band's post WS material has been worse than dreaful.

Don't know what to expect if that is the case, since that album already went in many different directions.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:09 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Great news - I liked the collaborative stuff he did with Anneke van Giersbergen, so here's hoping his new project turns out well.

Anneke herself is a large portion of the reason I like that material though. This for example is a great rendition of an Anathema tune, with Anneke's vocals topping Lee's, but Daniel's don't hold a candle to Vincent's.

Helvede wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
If it sounds like Weather Systems and is a continuation of that record, then count me in. If not, then I have little hope of it being any good. The band's post WS material has been worse than dreaful.

Don't know what to expect if that is the case, since that album already went in many different directions.

WS is my favorite album of theirs. I don't see the massive gap in quality with TO, which is my second favorite, but DS other than a few specific tracks feels like WS C-sides.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:29 pm 

WS was actually b-sides from We're Here Because We're Here.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:59 pm 

That's another vexing phenomenon, I frequently find B-sides and bonus cuts from bands that I prefer to much of what actually makes it onto an album. It's part of why I don't always agree with the philosophy of making albums short and "cutting the fat", because sometimes what the band or producer thinks is "fat" is the meat of the album for me.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm 

Helvede wrote:
Somehow I get the feeling that we'll see several of these post-Anathema projects of Daniel, while we'll never really hear from the other ex-members again (maybe Cardoso, seems very active in other projects). I find it hard to believe they could stand on their own feet as noticable musicians without the shoulders of Anathema. I hope I'm wrong, I hope they just need the time out.

Vincent apparently already has a solo project called Radicant, it's just pretty quiet so far (I think it's more electronic). Not sure about the others.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
jimbies wrote:

We had a whole thread about them rumors and other weird shit. Dig in;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131587

I just can't highlight my post there enough, that so far all there is is a bunch of bizarre sightings on Facebook and a reddit war of sockpuppets, no concrete allegations by anyone signed with their real name have been made*. And the whole thing seems to have been bubbling for about a year by now. I hope the album/project announcements mean the beginning of the end and whatever substantial was there is close to a resolution.

[* I guess I stand slightly corrected... see below.]

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Before "Monochrome" I'd agree with you, but frankly that album has some of Danny's pretty great vocal performances and he pulled them off live not long after (despite being visibly not in great shape). He definitely doesn't have that big dramatic quality that Vincent has, but he's definitely a more than competent lead singer for that kind of more restrained material.

Last edited by ~Guest 1195014 on Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:46 am 

Helvede wrote:
WS was actually b-sides from We're Here Because We're Here.

The suite of songs beginning with The Gathering of Clouds was, the rest was new material.

Danny has always been the main songwriter for the band, so musically the album should be closely related to WS. I have no issues with Danny going out on his own from a musical perspective, he's done it before, and a lot of it is very good. I have commented elsewhere on the rumours and the allegations levelled at Danny, and I await to see what happens here. If the rumours ae true, as it comes out in court, then my thoughts on his music will probably change. Then again, Varg killed a guy, and people still listen to Burzum with a clear conscience.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

naudr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:44 am 

Quote:
I just can't highlight my post there enough, that so far all there is is a bunch of bizarre sightings on Facebook and a reddit war of sockpuppets, no concrete allegations by anyone signed with their real name have been made. And the whole thing seems to have been bubbling for about a year by now. I hope the album/project announcements mean the beginning of the end and whatever substantial was there is close to a resolution.

Not completely correct, the leader of the French club did stand up publically. And so has Darren, but Duncan seems to be mainly silent although several things he's posted do insinuate a few things. Supposedly the police is involved for some things hence the silence otherwise. Danny's battles before have been relatively public and no secret.

I thought WS was pretty weak and the start of Danny using the exact same songwriting tricks in every single song. The orchestration was pretty decent but Danny didn't do that.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm 

naudr wrote:
Not completely correct, the leader of the French club did stand up publically. And so has Darren, but Duncan seems to be mainly silent although several things he's posted do insinuate a few things. Supposedly the police is involved for some things hence the silence otherwise. Danny's battles before have been relatively public and no secret.

I thought WS was pretty weak and the start of Danny using the exact same songwriting tricks in every single song. The orchestration was pretty decent but Danny didn't do that.

First time I heard about the French fan club post, I just found it and... fuck. That's actually really bad.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:44 pm 

Where can I read about the French fan club, whatever the F that is?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:55 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

This exactly. It's frustrating that there's a lack of information about all these things Danny has done. The past thread about this didn't have any links either outside of the Anathema subreddit or something like that, which I took the advice of not checking out cause it was sock-puppets and flame wars galore over there and that didn't sound like fun at all. It's kinda spiralling into conspiracy theory and misinformation, I've heard Danny is the master of sock-puppets at reddit and somehow manipulating this whole thing and we still don't know what the hell is ACTUALLY going on.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Last edited by Metal_On_The_Ascendant on Fri May 21, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:56 pm 

I wish someone could just do a short write up about what the allegations are. I tried looking into the Facebook comment sections and reddit threads, but it's an incoherent mess with posts and threads deleted and no single post giving context to the others.

I'm (usually) not a drama whore, but when everyone writes as if they are in the know it gets annoying.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 pm 

raumr wrote:
I wish someone could just do a short write up about what the allegations are. I tried looking into the Facebook comment sections and reddit threads, but it's an incoherent mess with posts and threads deleted and no single post giving context to the others.

I'm (usually) not a drama whore, but when everyone writes as if they are in the know it gets annoying.

Yeah, I also don't understand what is going on. It's a mess.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:37 pm 

My understanding isn't great either, but what I know, I'll try to sum up in an understandable way:
- Darren White (Anathema's ex-singer from the Serenades era, but he also appeared on some special shows they did in 2015) seems to be at the centre of this whole thing, but it is not exactly clear what his point is. Apparently they had some major falling out with DC last year, with some sources insisting it was personal, but rumour is there is some legal case involved. There's an interview with Mick Moss from Antimatter who said something along the lines of "some people close to him dug up some very old shit" and "one guy crossed the line with his behaviour and caused a shitstorm, while another one showed he knows no limits in manipulating the truth and making himself a victim", read into that what you will.
- All along there's been rumours of a legal case in general. Daniel Cardoso shut that down hard last year and called all the rumours "basically character assassination".
- Either way, Anathema have been selling out merch hard since early 2020 and DC has been selling some pretty significant instruments. Whether that's just the fallout of COVID and tour cancellation or something to do with the above, hard to tell.
- That subreddit had a ton of pretty far-fetched claims, including something about molestation and "multiple accusations of abuse from various areas of the world". But given that it's really mostly a sockpuppet war, I really don't believe anything there until someone makes a claim signed with their real name.
- Finally, there's that post pinned on the Facebook page Anathema France apparently written by the founder - which is literally the first substantial thing I have read regarding DC's apparent misconduct. He says that before a gig last year, DC started yelling insults at him unprovoked in front of his daughter (who was really shocked). That was apparently in March, he added in December that he tried to get an explanation from DC and never got an answer. (Although he adds that Vincent did come out to support him - as in, the page owner.)

So yeah, most of it really is a clusterfuck of rumours and conjecture, except that last one which is pinned on top of one of the biggest Anathema fan pages and is the first substantial (and for me pretty damn depressing) accusation against him I've seen.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:16 am 

DC could stand for Daniel Cardoso as well as for Daniel Cavanagh.. but I get the point.

To be frank, I've been a long time fan of the band (since the mid 90s) and I never bothered to find out who was Danny and who was Vincent. To me, since DW left, it's always been one of the Cavanagh brothers who's been singing and writing most stuff (I know very well that Jamie is the occasional bassist though). Living in Canada I never got to see them. Since Youtube came around I checked a few videos, but never really bothered to learn who's who. Never bothered to buy a DVD or stream a full concert.

When DP left the band I felt something important was gone, and it's been hit and miss ever since. I think I'll enjoy this Weather System project less than I do enjoy Antimatter.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am 

My understanding isn't great either, but what I know, I'll try to sum up in an understandable way:
- Darren White (Anathema's ex-singer from the Serenades era, but he also appeared on some special shows they did in 2015) seems to be at the centre of this whole thing, but it is not exactly clear what his point is. Apparently they had some major falling out with DC last year, with some sources insisting it was personal, but rumour is there is some legal case involved. There's an interview with Mick Moss from Antimatter who said something along the lines of "some people close to him dug up some very old shit" and "one guy crossed the line with his behaviour and caused a shitstorm, while another one showed he knows no limits in manipulating the truth and making himself a victim", read into that what you will.
- All along there's been rumours of a legal case in general. Daniel Cardoso shut that down hard last year and called all the rumours "basically character assassination".
- Either way, Anathema have been selling out merch hard since early 2020 and DC has been selling some pretty significant instruments. Whether that's just the fallout of COVID and tour cancellation or something to do with the above, hard to tell.
- That subreddit had a ton of pretty far-fetched claims, including something about molestation and "multiple accusations of abuse from various areas of the world". But given that it's really mostly a sockpuppet war, I really don't believe anything there until someone makes a claim signed with their real name.
- Finally, there's that post pinned on the Facebook page Anathema France apparently written by the founder - which is literally the first substantial thing I have read regarding DC's apparent misconduct. He says that before a gig last year, DC started yelling insults at him unprovoked in front of his daughter (who was really shocked). That was apparently in March, he added in December that he tried to get an explanation from DC and never got an answer. (Although he adds that Vincent did come out to support him - as in, the page owner.)

So yeah, most of it really is a clusterfuck of rumours and conjecture, except that last one which is pinned on top of one of the biggest Anathema fan pages and is the first substantial (and for me pretty damn depressing) accusation against him I've seen.

Cool. So, in other words, there's nothing going on, and this is all a big load of Covid 19-induced boredom run amok in a bunch of basement dwellers.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:50 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Cool. So, in other words, there's nothing going on, and this is all a big load of Covid 19-induced boredom run amok in a bunch of basement dwellers.

No. It's something obviously pretty important if it forced a successful band with a large following into hiatus while they were on their way to record a new album, but I guess that interpretation doesn't sound edgy enough.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:58 am 

will be checking this out, hopefully it's something substantial
i don't think we've heard the end of Anathema, once we're back to normality i can see them surface again

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

No. It's something obviously pretty important if it forced a successful band with a large following into hiatus while they were on their way to record a new album, but I guess that interpretation doesn't sound edgy enough.

You make assumptions. The official press release announcing their hiatus states:

"We've all - every one of you included - faced unpredictable challenges, which impacted both our professional and personal situations. In this hardest of times, events over the last year have left us with no option to go on indefinite hiatus."

Until there is any concrete evidence to substantiate claims mentioned in above posts, the most likely explanation of their hiatus is Covid19 and the consequential financial situation(s) the band and its members were put in.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

if you put anathema in the search box in fb and filter to "groups", it's there. though screens from it have travelled far and wide...

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

You make assumptions. The official press release announcing their hiatus states:

"We've all - every one of you included - faced unpredictable challenges, which impacted both our professional and personal situations. In this hardest of times, events over the last year have left us with no option to go on indefinite hiatus."

Until there is any concrete evidence to substantiate claims mentioned in above posts, the most likely explanation of their hiatus is Covid19 and the consequential financial situation(s) the band and its members were put in.

Pretty much every band suffered somehow from Covid, some worse than others, especially when cancelled tours were involved. Anathema needing a fundraiser was nothing weird or hard to understand.

The fact that they more or less vanished from the face of the earth (besides Daniel Cardoso, who also doesn't say one word about Anathema) after the hiatus, aggressively sold out merch without making any new ones (unlike almost every other band I'm aware of) and weird rumours flying around which hit no other band I'm aware of are not normal things. Neither is DC suddenly announcing a pretty much post-Anathema project if the band is "just on hiatus for financial reasons". I don't claim to know anything concrete and I've been the one to advise caution when dealing with any of those rumours since the previous much more "sensational" thread - which was the only reason I even brought these things up to begin with - but there obviously is something wrong here and that condescending tone of yours is a bit annoying in the context of someone trying to separate the sensational bullshit (which was already floating beforehand) from things that may be actually worrying. (Since, you know, this band means quite a lot to a lot of people.)

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm 

I agree that we need to separate the signals from the noise. But by your own words, the "things that may be actually worrying" amount to DC insulting someone in front of his daughter. Rude, yes. Indicative something larger, perhaps (?) but who knows. As of now, my point stands that there really isn't anything credible to go by, so it's pointless to make assumptions. But yes, I do understand that the band means a lot to a large number of ppl. I meant no disrespect in that regard. I am curious to see how things play out.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:06 pm 

Good, then I think we're on the same boat. I do hope it's nothing more and that he will sort himself out.

Yogidaz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:58 pm 

There's an interview with Mick Moss from Antimatter who said something along the lines of "some people close to him dug up some very old shit" and "one guy crossed the line with his behaviour and caused a shitstorm, while another one showed he knows no limits in manipulating the truth and making himself a victim"

Please tell me where you saw this interview with Mick Moss

Last edited by hakarl on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed the quote for you

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:43 am 

According to the official Anathema Facebook page yesterday, Danny attempted suicide recently. Luckily he survived it, but it sounds like he's got a long road ahead of him for recovery. It makes me sad thinking about this, since he's such a talented songwriter and musician, along with an inspiration to a lot of people. Reading the post below also makes it more clear why Anathema went into hiatus. If he wasn't being himself for the last 4+ years, it was probably difficult for the rest of the band to continue to work with him. I wish him all the best and hope he gets better.

We want to let you know that unfortunately life has been very tough on one of our band members, Dan, in the last two years, and He has attempted suicide.
He has has been under a chronic and profound depression for years.
He survived the suicide attempt and is getting better. It’s a miracle he survived the last two years at all. He never left the house for a year, and contrary to theories, he was never institutionalised in any way and has never in his life had contact from the police, or the psychiatric services.
Dan is a reasonably decent human being who seems to have become lost. Hasn’t been himself at all for years.
He did go voluntarily to hospital once for a few days, to avoid the ability to commit suicide, but apparently the NHS facility was even more depressing. The NHS need help and we are pledging 10% of our GoFundMe to the mind charity.
We are now working to bring something good to the world and Dan wants to improve as a human being and be a better man, and never do anything so stupid again. His doctor is also trying his best to prevent suicide happening again.
He is under professional mental health care and is very dedicated to 12 step of addiction recovery, of which he is very active. Dan has been diagnosed with profound depression, daily chronic horrific anxiety, complex post traumatic stress disorder for 25 - 30 years, and he has ADHD. He has not been himself at all for 4 years now, at least.
Many of you share this type of struggle. Maybe music is part of healing.
Hard lessons have been well learned. This was the hardest. Lessons were learned. Maybe that’s why we have hard times.
We wish Dan a good recovery. Obviously we were not sure if posting this was a good idea, but the truth is the truth, and perhaps it’s time you heard it.
Blessing and love and forgiveness ✨
We truly hope all of you , every single one of you without exception, live happy and blessed lives.
Yours in healing
Weather Systems band and management

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 am 

Evoken wrote:
According to the official Anathema Facebook page yesterday, Danny attempted suicide recently. Luckily he survived it, but it sounds like he's got a long road ahead of him for recovery. It makes me sad thinking about this, since he's such a talented songwriter and musician, along with an inspiration to a lot of people.

Very sad.
thanks for sharing.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:53 pm 

I saw it on Facebook earlier. Very sad, and I hope he recovers in his own time. Many fans of Anathema have sensed that there were troubles going on beneath the surface of their public presence.

I am a bit mixed on the disclosure of all his medical diagnoses. I get that they are being open with it, but it seems like a very private thing to share with the public. I hope they cleared it with Dan before posting that (I assume they did).

kadaverousau
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:08 am 

Saw this today, and I agree, there's a lot of personal information disclosed. Just seems odd.

Does anyone else find this part of the statement insensitive? -
Quote:
...and never do anything so stupid again

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:08 am 

It reads like "Weather Systems band and management" is just a pseudonym for DC himself

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:33 am 

That whole statement seems rather insensitive to me. 'Relatively decent human being' especially sounds like a backhanded compliment.
'Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.' - Isaiah 1:18

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 am 

matras wrote:
It reads like "Weather Systems band and management" is just a pseudonym for DC himself

Yeah this is bizarre and a little suspect.

No doubt that Daniel appears to be mentally unwell, and that’s never a good thing.

But this statement is written in pseudo-third person, as if “Weather Systems band and management” is some person or persons other than Daniel himself.

Also, isn’t it known that Daniel took over (possibly hijacked?) the official Anathema FB to use for whatever Weather Systems was going to be? All of the post history in at least the last few months are for Weather Systems (“WS”), and there’s really no real Anathema content being posted outside of new WS versions of Anathema songs.

I don’t think the Anathema band members (however defined) had anything to do with this statement, and Daniel wrote it about himself.

Not to pile on at all, I hope he gets the help he needs.
Obliteration

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:24 pm 

The more I read it, the more I feel like Dan himself wrote all or parts of this post. It's hard to believe that the others would refer to him as a "reasonably decent human being" and refer to his suicide attempt as something "so stupid".

It really feels like Dan expressing disappointment in himself and deciding to tell the fans what's been going on with his life. If it is, then it's a step in the right direction. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step in getting help.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next