Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:14 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Shockingly, there's no explanation in this in depth essay showing Metal Elitism as "Important" and the guy that made this thread hasn't been back.

>Logs in
>Creates absolute carnage in a thread
>Refuses to elaborate
>Leaves

Also there are some worse takes in here than anything in the Unpopular Opinions thread lmao.

TheCloudMinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:16 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Shockingly, there's no explanation in this in depth essay showing Metal Elitism as "Important" and the guy that made this thread hasn't been back.

Hi : ) I believe I said all that I wanted to, and I think I basically can stand behind it. I get that there are a lot of assholes who give elitism a bad name, but I have a view about it that isn't like that.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Zdan wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:
The real based alpha test is, does he read the Archie Sonic comics while listening to death metal?

Does he read Sonichu while listening to goregrind?

Regardless of either of these answers, he's still more based than me, because I only played Sonic Adventure as a kid on the Xbox 360 as part of the "Dreamcast collection", instead of the actual Sega Dreamcast. My gaming is more basic than my metal taste. If elitism is a thing in gaming too, I'm doomed.

I'm the opposite. I'm much more knowledgeable about games than metal, I'd say I'm a metal noob.

Non Euclidean
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:58 pm 

Vadara wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
To a lesser degree, deathcore did have a significant impact on the death metal scene for quite some time, leading to some death metal bands dumbing down their sound to try and stay relevant

I am struggling to think of a single band that actually did this besides Cryptopsy.

Only other example I can think of is Suffocation on their "...Of the Dark Light" album. I think a couple of their new members came from deathcore bands? Which would explain the influence.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:30 pm 

I refuse to believe OP was serious making this thread. Vast majority of people aren't THAT lacking in self-awareness.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am 

Maggot penetration wrote:
Can you name an elite thrash band that was made up of lawyers?

If Cross Examination is not entirely made up of lawyers then by all means they are not elite thrash and are in fact a poser band.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:31 am 

Not thrash but The County Medical Examiners is a goregrind band comprised of legitimate M.D.'s.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:34 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I'll continue to enjoy nu-metal and mallcore trash, and nobody can stop me.

Same.

I unapologetically love Deftones. They are one my favorite bands. I'm not a "scene" person so I don't get into the real vs. false metal stuff.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:43 pm 

If you listen to any metal albums made after Budgie's 'Never Turn Your Back on a Friend', you don't listen to pure metal and should be ashamed of yourself.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 pm 

JCP524 wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I'll continue to enjoy nu-metal and mallcore trash, and nobody can stop me.

Same.

I unapologetically love Deftones. They are one my favorite bands. I'm not a "scene" person so I don't get into the real vs. false metal stuff.

Deftones don't even count, they're just one of the best bands ever.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:51 pm 

Hybrid Theory, Meteora, Sinner (Drowning Pool) and Satellite (P.O.D.) are still four of my favourite albums of all-time.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:13 am 

Deftones would be all right if their singer didn't insufferably suck. That being said, a few of their early songs are all right.

If there's any "scene" or "nu" heavy music that I enjoy, it's the occasional early 2000s butt rock song. I love Breaking Benjamin's Blow Me Away (because of Halo, mostly) and a few Three Days Grace songs.

Can you bring me back my guitar picks?

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:54 am 

Kinda sad in a way that even the best metal site on planet caves to the demand to be 100% woke.

Last edited by hakarl on Mon May 23, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cool story bro

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:01 am 

MetalVermont wrote:
Kinda sad in a way that even the best metal site on planet caves to the demand to be 100% woke.

You can go somewhere else if you don't like the fact that bigoted comments aren't tolerated here. Nobody forces you to use the site, or engage with the forum. ANUS or deathmetal.org might be more to your liking.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:09 am 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

You can go somewhere else if you don't like the fact that bigoted comments aren't tolerated here. Nobody forces you to use the site, or engage with the forum. ANUS or deathmetal.org might be more to your liking.

Lol, one time I remember this extremely long rant on ANUS saying that you there should be separate neighborhoods for "gays and stoners" because tolerance is "mediocre".

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Deftones would be all right if their singer didn't insufferably suck. That being said, a few of their early songs are all right.

I used to hate their singer too, but I got used to him after a while. I think you have to hear songs like "Entombed" before you can fully appreciate his voice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:52 pm 

MetalVermont wrote:

How does 'wokeness' even factor in here? I swear people just use this word to mean fucking anything now. Who's "catering" to what?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:30 pm 

Literally all that "woke" means is that you're aware that there is bigotry in the world and you are against its presence. Hardly anything to be ashamed of.

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:51 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

So go from one extreme to the other? How 'bout no? Brett Stevens' Stormfront 2.0 should have been nuked from orbit years ago. Hell, they thought Bruce Dickinson listened to Graveland when writing "The Writing On The Wall."

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
If you listen to any metal albums made after Budgie's 'Never Turn Your Back on a Friend', you don't listen to pure metal and should be ashamed of yourself.

So....the actual great Budgie albums? Half that album is filler.

Last edited by hakarl on Mon May 23, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edited for ableist language

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:25 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

Lol, one time I remember this extremely long rant on ANUS saying that you there should be separate neighborhoods for "gays and stoners" because tolerance is "mediocre".

Well, it's definitely not a "woke" place, for sure.
KaiKasparek wrote:
So go from one extreme to the other? How 'bout no? Brett Stevens' Stormfront 2.0 should have been nuked from orbit years ago. Hell, those retards thought Bruce Dickinson listened to Graveland when writing "The Writing On The Wall."

I wouldn't call this place politically extreme at all. That would be if it was filled with tankies or people of the sort, in which case you wouldn't find me here either.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

How does 'wokeness' even factor in here? I swear people just use this word to mean fucking anything now. Who's "catering" to what?

If you use woke in a condescending way I know to steer clear of you.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:01 am 

MetalVermont wrote:

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:56 pm 

thewrll wrote:
If you use woke in a condescending way I know to steer clear of you.

Yep. It's a bright red flag for someone holding abhorrent viewpoints.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:28 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

Politically Correct use to be the bogeyman term. Anything that might require a modicum of respect or consideration seems to be a real big problem for some. They hate the world and pray for a better one, but it's too much to ask to be mindful. 1+ million words in the English language, not to mention slang and phrases etc, but goddamnit, I only want to say it this one way.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
So go from one extreme to the other? How 'bout no? Brett Stevens' Stormfront 2.0 should have been nuked from orbit years ago. Hell, those retards thought Bruce Dickinson listened to Graveland when writing "The Writing On The Wall."

Maybe there is some amusing irony in how you seemingly cannot air your issues with hateful bigots without showing off your own hateful bigotry, but it's still rather unfortunate and pathetic.

I'll also say how calling this forum an "extreme" when this forum just generally seeks to minimize lots of nasty things is very telling of you and your own viewpoints.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:35 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

Politically Correct use to be the bogeyman term. Anything that might require a modicum of respect or consideration seems to be a real big problem for some. They hate the world and pray for a better one, but it's too much to ask to be mindful. 1+ million words in the English language, not to mention slang and phrases etc, but goddamnit, I only want to say it this one way.

That's still giving them too much credit. They're fascists. They don't act in good faith. They co-opted and weaponized "wokeness" just like they did for "cancel culture." They know what they're doing and it is a very intentional, violent thing.

yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:13 pm 

Depends on what you're gatekeeping against. If they are SJWs, then that's completely valid. If it's just some random guy wearing some Metallica shirt just because they think it's cool, then ignore it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:49 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Depends on what you're gatekeeping against. If they are SJWs, then that's completely valid. If it's just some random guy wearing some Metallica shirt just because they think it's cool, then ignore it.

What does the term "SJW" mean to you?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:58 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
yungstirjoey666 wrote:

What does the term "SJW" mean to you?

Yeah I think we know already where this is going.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3