Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2761
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:47 pm 
 

pyratebastard wrote:
Deathdoom1992 wrote:
- Bonded by Blood - Paul Baloff was an awful, awful vocalist. End of.


I can relate to this. I much prefer the Rob Dukes-era re-recording, which is probably the most likely of my opinions to get me killed.


No judgement from me - because tastes and all that - but if I ever have seen a hot take this is it. I salute your bravery sir.

Top
 Profile  
Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:46 pm
Posts: 143
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 pm 
 

Definitely Black Sabbath's Sabotage for me. I like Hole In the Sky and Symptom of the Universe but the rest does nothing for me bar a few riffs here and there. I've never understood why its so lauded by fans. A lot even says its their best but all the previous albums blow it away in my opinion.


Last edited by Sunioj_Paul on Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:39 pm 
 

Zdan wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:
Deathdoom1992 wrote:
- Bonded by Blood - Paul Baloff was an awful, awful vocalist. End of.


I can relate to this. I much prefer the Rob Dukes-era re-recording, which is probably the most likely of my opinions to get me killed.


No judgement from me - because tastes and all that - but if I ever have seen a hot take this is it. I salute your bravery sir.


Hysterical.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 3736
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:57 pm 
 

Yeah, Paul Baloff was a terrible singer. I don't think Duke's version is better, but I don't think Bonded by Blood is a good album.

Top
 Profile  
Hexenmacht46290
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Posts: 515
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:51 pm 
 

Iron Maiden’s music is good, but I’m not that into them. I can’t take too much of their prog stuff, and I think Angel Witch is better, at the early style.

Benedict Donald wrote:
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
See note above. The crushingly heavy Celtic Frost influence should have made this a killer album. But the vocals are so high up in the mix it's overbearing and falls into self-parody.

Fenriz claims that he tracked the instruments, then, Nocturno Culto came to his house, to track vocals. They both opened a beer, and Fenriz had already been drinking. He tracked the songs in order, so he gets more drunk, as the album goes on. I think Fenriz said that he passed out, or doesn’t remember, the whole recording session, so Nocturno Culto himself might’ve mixed the vocals too loud, when he was drunk.
_________________
The only “-isms” you need, are individualism, and GISM.
I like Slayer solos
Spoiler: show
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Top
 Profile  
Dullahan
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 pm
Posts: 149
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:30 pm 
 

I've tried hard to get into Meshuggah (especially "Chaosphere" and "Nothing", and tried to listen to "Catch Thirtythree" at least once) because most of my friends couldn't shut the fuck up about how different the band's sound was, and how the drummer was ingenious. To me, it always sounded like heartless, repetitive "calculator metal" with a miserably boring singer. To this day I don't fully get their appeal.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 31854
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 pm 
 

Dullahan wrote:
I've tried hard to get into Meshuggah (especially "Chaosphere" and "Nothing", and tried to listen to "Catch Thirtythree" at least once) because most of my friends couldn't shut the fuck up about how different the band's sound was, and how the drummer was ingenious. To me, it always sounded like heartless, repetitive "calculator metal" with a miserably boring singer. To this day I don't fully get their appeal.


Yeah them, Gojira and Immolation are all sort of just weird "cold" spots for me; don't hate em or love em, just not really clicked at this time anyway. Immolation did have some good shit but I never played them like I did Morbid Angel, Entombed, etc.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2290
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:28 am 
 

Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Definitely Black Sabbath's Sabotage for me. I like Hole In the Sky and Symptom of the Universe but the rest does nothing for me bar a few riffs here and there. I've never understood why its so lamented by fans. A lot even says its their best but all the previous albums blow it away in my opinion.


i think you meant a different word, 'cause 'lamented' doesn't seem to make any sense in that context :confused:

anyway, obituary's first two are supposed to be death metal classics, but they tend to just leave me cold - i like them well enough for background music, but they never really clicked for me
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:46 pm
Posts: 143
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:33 am 
 

joppek wrote:
Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Definitely Black Sabbath's Sabotage for me. I like Hole In the Sky and Symptom of the Universe but the rest does nothing for me bar a few riffs here and there. I've never understood why its so lamented by fans. A lot even says its their best but all the previous albums blow it away in my opinion.


i think you meant a different word, 'cause 'lamented' doesn't seem to make any sense in that context :confused:

anyway, obituary's first two are supposed to be death metal classics, but they tend to just leave me cold - i like them well enough for background music, but they never really clicked for me


Yeah I meant 'lauded', don't know why I typed 'lamented'! Changed now.

I always thought The End Compmete was by far the best Obituary album. Best riffs, songs, guitar/drum sound, vocals, atmosphere. Miles better than Cause of Death for me.

Top
 Profile  
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1404
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:17 am 
 

Hibria - Defying the Rules for me. this has gotten me a lot of shit with my friends but i just dont see what everyone else does in this album. i definitely dont hate it, but whenever i listen to it the whole record starts to blend together and im getting bored about halfway through. every song sounds exactly the same to me, with every chorus doing more-or-less the same thing, and they dont do much to differentiate from each other. it's like, i like Tiger Punch, but i dont want to listen to Tiger Punch 9 times in a row, you know? about once a year i give it another chance and so far nothing has clicked for me.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5818
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:01 pm 
 

pyratebastard wrote:
Deathdoom1992 wrote:
- Bonded by Blood - Paul Baloff was an awful, awful vocalist. End of.


I can relate to this. I much prefer the Rob Dukes-era re-recording, which is probably the most likely of my opinions to get me killed.


I actually think Dukes does fine enough on the re-recording, it's the rhythms that kill it for me. It's all so stiff and stilted, which works fine for their 2000s material but makes songs like And Then There Were None sound absolutely lifeless.
_________________
Christopher Steve (Doom Folk/Americana): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Power Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com
Spirit Division (Stoner Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't think Bonded by Blood is a good album.


In another thread, someone mentioned that Anthrax's "Among the Living" hasn't aged well, and sounds dated. I think the same might be true of "Bonded". It's odd for me because I still love both records, but there's something atypically "80s sounding" in both.
At the time, both were landmark releases and lauded as such, but these classics seem to have lost some momentum unlike other classics from thrash era. I can easily imagine folks hearing these for the first time now and not being as impressed as I was waaaay back then.

Top
 Profile  
ZenoMarx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 454
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:23 pm 
 

When I first heard Bonded by Blood, I couldn't hack the vocals, but I also felt the same way about Fistful of Metal. I've since changed my tune. When I could only afford an album every 4-6 weeks, they were real bummers.

Top
 Profile  
pyratebastard
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:05 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Chula Vista/San Diego, CA, USA
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:02 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I actually think Dukes does fine enough on the re-recording, it's the rhythms that kill it for me. It's all so stiff and stilted, which works fine for their 2000s material but makes songs like And Then There Were None sound absolutely lifeless.


I suppose I should clarify my statement by pointing out that it is not among my favorite Exodus albums, but I found I enjoyed the Dukes version better than the original. It did feel stale often, but the vocals were great, and there are some fantastic riffs in there. The original feels stale to me with terrible rhythm and boring vocals. No offense to Baloff, for he is a legend - it's just not my thing.

It does absolutely qualify as a major album that I've tried many times to like, but I could just never "get it".
_________________
Thrash, Death and early Black Metal Fanatic

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Top
 Profile  
Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:53 pm
Posts: 253
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:55 pm 
 

LilTito wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:
LilTito wrote:
Literally anything by Iron maiden. Man i hate that band

Don't burn yourself on that hot take.

It's only a hot take on this site. IM is dried glorified power pop for boomers and kids new to metal, i thought this was common sense

This opinion is not new, or interesting. We've seen it countless times here, particularly with young people trying to make an impression with reviews about "overrated classics". Anyone can dislike Maiden for any reason, it's just that your petulance about it is tiresome, cliché, and eyeroll-worthy. That's what people take exception to, nobody here actually cares about your thoughts on Maiden. Why would they?
_________________
Boychev wrote:
The only two options are to listen to Pantera or be an arsonist. Fact.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1435
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:05 pm 
 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Hibria - Defying the Rules for me. this has gotten me a lot of shit with my friends but i just dont see what everyone else does in this album. i definitely dont hate it, but whenever i listen to it the whole record starts to blend together and im getting bored about halfway through. every song sounds exactly the same to me, with every chorus doing more-or-less the same thing, and they dont do much to differentiate from each other. it's like, i like Tiger Punch, but i dont want to listen to Tiger Punch 9 times in a row, you know? about once a year i give it another chance and so far nothing has clicked for me.


Oh man, I LOVED this album when I first heard it. Also, I really wasn't listening to any metal like this at the time, so it was a brand new world to me. I never even bothered with the 2nd album, so I think I burned out on this as fast as I originally loved it.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:24 am
Posts: 628
Location: Quebec City, Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 pm 
 

Dullahan wrote:
I've tried hard to get into Meshuggah (especially "Chaosphere" and "Nothing", and tried to listen to "Catch Thirtythree" at least once) because most of my friends couldn't shut the fuck up about how different the band's sound was, and how the drummer was ingenious. To me, it always sounded like heartless, repetitive "calculator metal" with a miserably boring singer. To this day I don't fully get their appeal.


I enjoy the band's music fair enough, but man, would it kill the singer to try to add a minimum of variation to his monotone barks? I'd rather have an instrumental version of their albums.
_________________
"Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me"

Top
 Profile  
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1404
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:37 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:
Deathdoom1992 wrote:
- Bonded by Blood - Paul Baloff was an awful, awful vocalist. End of.


I can relate to this. I much prefer the Rob Dukes-era re-recording, which is probably the most likely of my opinions to get me killed.


I actually think Dukes does fine enough on the re-recording, it's the rhythms that kill it for me. It's all so stiff and stilted, which works fine for their 2000s material but makes songs like And Then There Were None sound absolutely lifeless.

And Then There Were None specifically is slowed WAAAAAY down from the original. Testament did this too on First Strike Still Deadly and i just don't get it. slowing down thrash songs never works. listen to the original and/or the Another Lesson in Violence version(s) and then the LTBB one and the difference is crystal clear. FWIW i'd almost prefer LTBB as well if it werent for those occasional, confusing decisions.

Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1595
Location: Catalunya
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:38 pm 
 

pyratebastard wrote:
Deathdoom1992 wrote:
- Bonded by Blood - Paul Baloff was an awful, awful vocalist. End of.


I can relate to this. I much prefer the Rob Dukes-era re-recording, which is probably the most likely of my opinions to get me killed.

I have yet to hear that, but I'm really quite interested. I'll second (third?) the opinion that Baloff ruins the original, I totally get the whole 'passion over ability' thing but I do find it very grating sometimes.

I'll add 'Pleasure to kill' and 'Seven churches'. Again, I totally respect both records' historical importance and the bands' intention to really push the envelope (and helping trigger extreme metal), but on their own musical merits, I just find them messy, awkward and difficult to listen to, to be honest.
_________________
Maggot penetration wrote:
Nothing wrong with not liking shit music

TheLoneForest wrote:
Boomerism off the mf charts

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2761
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:07 pm 
 

Baloff is not a good vocalist in any sense but I loved his approach on the original. Wild, rapsy, yelling, howling, stumbling - all of it is part of the charm of that record to me. It is just a early thrash album and I do not expect technical mastery - in terms of vocals also. It has tons of energy, passion and riffage to boot so that is enough to me.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 3736
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:18 pm 
 

I guess I could say I don't really like any of the classic death metal albums people seem to love. You know, early Death, Entombed, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower, Demilich...

Altars of Madness is probably the only exception but it's not one of my favorite death metal albums either. I prefer Death and Immolation when they got more technical and complex. My favorite Incantation album is Diabolical Conquest, not a great fan of Onward to Golgotha even though I don't think it's a bad album. I think you get the point. It's stuff I respect a lot but it's just not for me. I've always been a black metal guy so I like my death metal with strong atmosphere and/or much more modern approach, which is something I've always thought post 2010s death metal copied from black metal and did better.

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 am 
 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:


- Eternal Nightmare - Ditto but with Sean Killian.



I actually just revisited this album yesterday because I also remembered it as having awful vocals. It's really too bad, 'cause the album is fucking excellent, but the vocals are so terrible
_________________
Listen to BONEJAMMER
crusty metalpunk for fans of skeleton warriors and machine guns

Top
 Profile  
Terri23
Veteran

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 2950
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:47 am 
 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Judas Priest - Firepower
The idea of this album is better than the execution. This is just so generic.....no spark at all. It underscores how important Tipton and/or Downing were to their formula. (I'm assuming Tipton wrote very little for this.)


I feel this. I'm in the minority that like Nostradamus, but this one was to me very metal-by-numbers. I feel the same about Redeemer also, which was extremely generic and forgettable. I think that they've really lost something when KK left that Richie hasn't been able to replace.
_________________
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
American isn't a nationality

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:15 am 
 

Terri23 wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:
Judas Priest - Firepower
The idea of this album is better than the execution. This is just so generic.....no spark at all. It underscores how important Tipton and/or Downing were to their formula. (I'm assuming Tipton wrote very little for this.)


I feel this. I'm in the minority that like Nostradamus, but this one was to me very metal-by-numbers. I feel the same about Redeemer also, which was extremely generic and forgettable. I think that they've really lost something when KK left that Richie hasn't been able to replace.


Pretty much the same for me. Everyone I know loves Firepower, but apart from a few songs it sounds too generic to me. Almost like any of the countless bands that try to sound like Judas Priest.
_________________
Listen to BONEJAMMER
crusty metalpunk for fans of skeleton warriors and machine guns

Top
 Profile  
BlackMetalanarchist
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 6:50 pm
Posts: 47
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am 
 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't think Bonded by Blood is a good album.


In another thread, someone mentioned that Anthrax's "Among the Living" hasn't aged well, and sounds dated. I think the same might be true of "Bonded". It's odd for me because I still love both records, but there's something atypically "80s sounding" in both.
At the time, both were landmark releases and lauded as such, but these classics seem to have lost some momentum unlike other classics from thrash era. I can easily imagine folks hearing these for the first time now and not being as impressed as I was waaaay back then.



I’m definitely not one of those folks. I just listened to Bonded for the first time last month. Was so impressed I went to see them live with Death Angel and Testament just a few weeks ago. In fact, after hearing Bonded once it immediately competed with Reign in Blood as my favorite thrash album.
I haven’t listened to Among the Living in quite some time so I don’t remember much about it but I do recall thinking it was pretty good after hearing it for the first time back in 2014/15. So yeah, this is definitely a hot take.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:05 am 
 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Anyways for me one that came right to mind is Obituary's Cause of Death. I've attempted to listen to that album on about 5 different occasions and never once does it click for me. I love that type of death metal from that era but I just can't get into this album, nor even the band really.


I feel pretty much the same. I love the other stuff that was coming out around the time Obituary released Slowly We Rot and Cause Of Death, like Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy, Human, Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, War Master, Altars of Madness, They Key, Consuming Impulse, Testimony of the Ancients, Unquestionable Presence, Eaten Back to Life, Effigy of the Forgotten, name it. But I can't seem to get into the most popular Obituary records. I don't hate them and they aren't bad records by any stretch of the imagination, but they simply don't click with me.

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 am 
 

BlackMetalanarchist wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't think Bonded by Blood is a good album.


In another thread, someone mentioned that Anthrax's "Among the Living" hasn't aged well, and sounds dated. I think the same might be true of "Bonded". It's odd for me because I still love both records, but there's something atypically "80s sounding" in both.
At the time, both were landmark releases and lauded as such, but these classics seem to have lost some momentum unlike other classics from thrash era. I can easily imagine folks hearing these for the first time now and not being as impressed as I was waaaay back then.



I’m definitely not one of those folks. I just listened to Bonded for the first time last month. Was so impressed I went to see them live with Death Angel and Testament just a few weeks ago. In fact, after hearing Bonded once it immediately competed with Reign in Blood as my favorite thrash album.
I haven’t listened to Among the Living in quite some time so I don’t remember much about it but I do recall thinking it was pretty good after hearing it for the first time back in 2014/15. So yeah, this is definitely a hot take.


I'm happy to hear this. "Bonded's" energy is enough to power a small city.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:14 am 
 

draconiondevil wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Dimensions Hatross is what got me into Voivod.


This. For those who don't "get" Voivod, listen to Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss 100 times and eventually it'll click. I've always liked those records but only clicked with me fairly recently how much I love Voivod as a whole.


I also 100% agree with this. Voivod is very much out there, and is not something that's easily digestible. It took a long time for me to enjoy their stuff. I kept trying and even if I could appreciate bits and pieces, it didn't click. It just eventually fell in place at some point, and now I'm glad I kept coming back to it. Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss and Nothingface are all amazing records!

soulonfire wrote:
I can't get into any Death post Scream Bloody Gore. Especially the later, proggy stuff. It just feels too sterile and clinical with no feeling or anything.


I can understand this kind of criticism being targetted at 00's technical death metal records, but stuff like Human lacks everything but feeling. It was litteraly written and recorded by some of the youngest, most creative kids in the scene at the time, and they blew up boundaries to create some of the most refreshing death metal there was. If you ever revisit that record, I recommend focusing your attention on Reinert's drumming. It's nothing short of magnificient.

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2761
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:40 am 
 

Benedict Donald wrote:

I'm happy to hear this. "Bonded's" energy is enough to power a small city.


I totally agree with this as stated previously. What "Bonded..." lacks in technical refinement and songcraft it makes up with TONS of youthful energy, exuberance and sheer rage. Plus the riffs are nothing to sneer at.

Top
 Profile  
Rico McPato
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pm
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:58 am 
 

Agree with the Meshuggah mention, I've tried several of their best rated albums but it just doesn't work for me.
Same with Dream Theater.
Both just bore me.

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 2187
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:19 pm 
 

Dark Funeral - Secret of the Black Arts

The one album the true black metal crowd usually praise from an otherwise not well like band from the in crowd. It's not that it's bad it's just one of those albums where I find myself growing tired of it before it reaches the end. I think the band did great with the following two albums as well as the two latest albums but always found Secret of the Black Arts to be overrated.
_________________
The Goat Fucker.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Top
 Profile  
Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am
Posts: 246
Location: The Summerlands
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:25 pm 
 

There's a few, but: Deicide - Deicide, Cryptopsy - None So Vile, Obituary - Cause of Death, Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness, Possessed - Seven Churches are the main ones.

Top
 Profile  
Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am
Posts: 246
Location: The Summerlands
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm 
 

Zdan wrote:
Baloff is not a good vocalist in any sense but I loved his approach on the original. Wild, rapsy, yelling, howling, stumbling - all of it is part of the charm of that record to me. It is just a early thrash album and I do not expect technical mastery - in terms of vocals also. It has tons of energy, passion and riffage to boot so that is enough to me.


Took me a while to get this album, and Baloff's vocals were the roadblock for me that whole time. I agree with what you're saying here: he's one of those musicians who managed to get by and be appealing through pure energy and enthusiasm/love for metal alone. I wouldn't change a thing about that record, it's a time capsule of Bay Area thrash in a way few other records are, in my opinion.

Top
 Profile  
goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:35 pm
Posts: 178
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:16 pm 
 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Man where to begin. I’ve tried the following to no avail (save the odd one off song here and there):

Cheap Trick (not metal but still)
Cannibal Corpse
Darkthrone (revoke my card, please)
Morbid Angel (yes, I’ll leave the hall)
Helloween

I will agree with you on Helloween. Then again, I generally have difficulty getting into anything power metal so it's not surprising. But you never know! There have been cases where it took me YEARS to get into an album or band.
_________________
elitist / n. 1. person with ostentatious likes and dislikes based on pretentious standards of excellence.

Top
 Profile  
In_Zane
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:32 am 
 

For me, I guess Iron Maiden. I've tried - and the only songs I enjoy is ''The Wicker Man'', and ''2 Minutes To Midnight'', but even those are a bit meh.

I don't find Iron Maiden bad tho, nor hate them - I just dont enjoy their sound and thus just aint for me.
_________________
Paranoia,
Coming from within, taking over,
Symptoms of an everlasting...
Phobia!

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1080
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:43 am 
 

add me to the Voivod and Meshuggah lists. Tried multiple times over the years (especially with Voivod) but nothing ever clicks.

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2697
Location: Not in Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:44 am 
 

Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical

As far as I remember - and it's been several years -, this was more like some lazy folk rock album than doom. I don't mind some lighter stuff every now and then, but this one was clearly just not for me.

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2761
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 am 
 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical

As far as I remember - and it's been several years -, this was more like some lazy folk rock album than doom. I don't mind some lighter stuff every now and then, but this one was clearly just not for me.


I would a folk rock fanatic if more of it sounded like this ;)

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 31854
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:12 am 
 

I can't imagine how that Pagan Altar album is "lazy" is all - some of the more eloquent, sophisticated, labored music of that style really. Beautiful, emotive guitars and writing. If you only wanted straight doom I guess I can see not being into it, but I'm not sure the band ever promised that's what it was.

For me, Enforcer has to be one; I just don't get it at all. Very pedestrian and the vocals are bad.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2697
Location: Not in Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:22 am 
 

Yeah, should probably try it again one more time. I really tried it like a decade go, just didn't click back then.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ace_Rimmer, colin040, Google [Bot], Korpgud, lurkist, LycanthropeMoon, Sestren and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group