Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 am 

Sacred Son 'The foul deth of Engelond'. First non-touristy cover!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:14 am 

The new Aparthiva Raktadhara album is out for those looking for bands that sound like Angelcorpse.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:22 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Aparthiva Raktadhara album is out for those looking for bands that sound like Angelcorpse.

Just got done listening to it, and it rips! Definitely some nice Angelcorpse worship, alright!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:56 pm 

Lagartija wrote:

lol, not quite
Spoiler: show

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

Good Lord above, who are these savages?? This is so tasty! I wish more bands embraced this style / approach to death metal.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:53 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Lagartija wrote:

lol, not quite

Hahaha totally missed that! Cheeky bastard :-D

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:15 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
Lagartija wrote:

lol, not quite

Hahaha totally missed that! Cheeky bastard :-D

This guy is a genius.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:10 pm 

I am liking Blasphematory - The Lower Catacombs. Mostly mid-paced death metal that is reminiscent of Finnish DM like Abhorrence, Rippikuolu, Desecresy, etc or perhaps something like Moondark.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 am 

Sagor Som Leder Mot slutet - III

So, these guys have a new album out.
I remember that I got some positive feedback when I posted about them the last time.
And this is more of the same Post-Rock/Metal, Instrumental stuff, but even better.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:23 pm 

My favorite thing lately is the new Nechochwen album which I haven't seen anyone mention yet. Not what I usually go for, but this is just undeniably good music. Crushingly chill Black/Neofolk on Bindrune Recordings (Panopticon). Some of the songs are barely / not even metal. Song 2 "The Murky Deep" has the nastiest slow riffs with killer bass and acoustic guitars. The entire album from start to finish is perfect.

https://nechochwen.bandcamp.com/

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:33 am 

Enjoying the latest Predatory Light, "Death and the Twilight Hours" a lot. Like crossing Tribulation with a little bit of Negative Plane.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 pm 

The new Sadistic Ritual album kicks all sorts of ass, easily one of the best thrash releases out this year.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:56 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Sagor Som Leder Mot slutet - III

So, these guys have a new album out.
I remember that I got some positive feedback when I posted about them the last time.
And this is more of the same Post-Rock/Metal, Instrumental stuff, but even better.

This sounds alright. I recall the last one being not great, though. Perhaps my memory's off.

Gonemage - Master of Disgust...

If you like experimental black metal with chiptune, this EP could be up your 80's-and-90's-Nintendo-loving alley.

https://gonemage.bandcamp.com/album/master-of-disgust

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:06 pm 

The new Sadist album is pretty cool spacey, jazzy progressive death metal.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:02 pm 

Pretty good black/death metal from Venezuela. More on the straightforward side than bands like Selbst that are more well known from the country, but there is still a bit of dissoblack mixed in there.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:00 pm 

Solid Italian black metal. One of the members is also in the band A Repit and this sounds very similar in terms of being somewhat wistful, melancholic black metal with a focus on nature themes.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 am 

Змей и Радуга - Молекулярное воскрешение

Symphonic death metal from Russia. They generally make some great metal and this is no exception.

https://serpentandrainbow.bandcamp.com/album/-

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:36 am 

matras wrote:
Enjoying the latest Predatory Light, "Death and the Twilight Hours" a lot. Like crossing Tribulation with a little bit of Negative Plane.

I'm really digging this one, cheers! :thumbsup:

EDIT: That Sadistic Ritual is fucking phenomenal, I didn't know these guys before but they are definitely on my radar now!

Last edited by Lagartija on Mon May 23, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:21 am 

https://au-dessus.bandcamp.com/album/mend

New Au-Dessus EP - Mend - is one of the best releases this year.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:47 am 

Really good French BM from Hyrgal. Great balance of atmosphere and more straightforward riffing, kind of similar to the Hell Militia album that came out a couple of months back.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:52 am 

Lifvsleda 'Sepulkral Dedikation'. Swedish black metal combining the savage, the melancholy and the occult. Very nice surprise.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:11 pm 

I'm enjoying the debut release from Nattehimmel, featuring former In the Woods... members. If you like the newer In the Woods... stuff with James Fogarty on vocals but are looking for something a bit more conventional, this might be for you. This is actually pretty comparable to Old Forest, his other band.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:23 pm 

Finally got around to buying Ghost's new album, Impera. It's so good it hurts. Infectious melodies, dramatic interludes, fantastic riffs and solos.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Finally got around to buying Ghost's new album, Impera. It's so good it hurts. Infectious melodies, dramatic interludes, fantastic riffs and solos.

Welcome to the club, at first I just wrote it off as 80's bubble gum rock. Upon further listens, it is catchy as hell and I love how they tie it all together, in a short but sweet listen, of the album, using the intro riff as the ending riff of the record. I don't know, maybe we need a new genre, fast food metal? lol

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:03 pm 

Discovered this EP today, good stuff. The cover kind of reminds me of the cover of Celtic Frost's Monotheist. Somewhat raw, but still with a knack for catchy melodies that stuck in my head (at least).

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 pm 

The new Shed the Skin record is great if you're looking for OSDM with a noticeably melodic edge.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:33 pm 

Pretty cool melodic black metal from Switzerland. Kind of reminds me of early Naglfar, which is a plus in my book.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:45 am 

Great US style Power Metal.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:52 am 

rawsewage wrote:
Great US style Power Metal.

Pretty cool stuff with some not-so-typical approach to riffing and vocals.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:42 am 

More black metal, this time from Belgium. I really dig the prominent bass on this one, haven't heard a lot of BM bands feature it up and center in a while. Really interesting melodies and bit of death metal technicality in there as well.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:14 pm 

New Helsott came out last week.
They've moved farther away from the traditional Celtic style folk metal and made something much more uniquely American. Interesting mix of death metal with outlaw country and American folk music. Pretty good.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:40 pm 

Here's a new album from one of the many projects of Swartadauþuz. They actually have two albums out on Friday, this being one of them. Of all his projects this one reminds me the most of Gardsghastr, albeit this is more on the atmospheric side than the symphonic black metal of that band.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue May 24, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:12 pm 

Apologies for mini-modding, but Kalaratri, your nonstop posts from the same youtube channel are really ruining this thread. You don't even give any context or explain what's good about these releases. Saying "here's a black metal album" with a link to the same place isn't helpful, and you're doing it 3+ times a day. We're all very well aware of the Black Metal Promotion channel at this point.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:27 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Apologies for mini-modding, but Kalaratri, your nonstop posts from the same youtube channel are really ruining this thread. You don't even give any context or explain what's good about these releases. Saying "here's a black metal album" with a link to the same place isn't helpful, and you're doing it 3+ times a day. We're all very well aware of the Black Metal Promotion channel at this point.

I'm sure a lot of people who frequent the boards are subbed to BMP, but I don't necessarily think everyone checks out each and every upload from there (or from any promotional or label channel for that matter, and I've seen a lot of people post stuff from well known underground labels which most people here know about). It's not like I'm posting about every single upload from the channel, I listen to stuff from a variety of sources (BMP is just one) every day while working and I only bother posting stuff here that I like enough to give multiple listens. It just so happens that for whatever reason there have been several recent uploads (within the past 1-2 days) from BMP I've actually enjoyed a lot, which has resulted in me posting a lot more frequently in this thread than I normally would. Fair enough about not including context, I edited those posts to include more of an explanation about why I like the albums (or at least what I think they sound like/are comparable to, which is part of the reason I like them).

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:33 am 

Just to add, while it periodically seems you're just posting 9/10 video's from BMP, I personally have no problem with it other than the thread title is about already released albums, which none of your posts are. It if anything can cause confusion.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:02 am 

The new Darkened album has leaked two days early, should have been the 27th. More crushing Bolt Thrower-esque DM goodness with Andy Whale on drums (why oh why can't BT get back together with him?!).
First full listen, sounds more interesting and memorable than the first album, which I think lost a lot of steam after the killer opening track:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:52 am 

matras wrote:
Just to add, while it periodically seems you're just posting 9/10 video's from BMP, I personally have no problem with it other than the thread title is about already released albums, which none of your
posts are. It if anything can cause confusion.

Some (not all, most of the ones I've posted were after the official album release date) of them are premieres a few days before the albums are out but I figure if they're uploading the entire record it's close enough to count as being released. I could post them in the most anticipated albums thread but it makes more sense to keep the posts in that just to news and singles for albums that don't have their own dedicated threads.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
matras wrote:
Just to add, while it periodically seems you're just posting 9/10 video's from BMP, I personally have no problem with it other than the thread title is about already released albums, which none of your
posts are. It if anything can cause confusion.

Some (not all) of them are premieres a few days before the albums are out but I figure if they're uploading the entire record it's close enough to count as being released. I could post them in the most anticipated albums thread but it makes more sense to keep the posts in that just to news and singles for albums that don't have their own dedicated threads.

I know. Still not released. Now let's stop derailing the thread and keep to the thread's premise shall we?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:38 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Nattehimmel

I like this, sounds far too good to be a demo. I'll keep an eye out for these guys, and I guess I should check out In the woods..., I'm not familiar with their work.
Really digging that Livssyke EP too, it seems they're not on the Archives or on Bandcamp though...

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:08 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Check this if you're into symphonic black metal.

so good. really manages to continue the emperor sound. basically what a reunion album would sound like.

a quick search of the forum didn’t bring it up, so apologies if this was already posted but shadow dungeon’s gæstgeryne is quite poggers. kind of like a more modern, epic take on hvis lyset tar oss (though no doubt that comparison is weighted by the presence of a cover on the album)

also moonlight sword’s elfenwinter is a fun slab of raw, symphonic bm for those who still worship parnassus and the like

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next