Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:57 am 

Schmier says:
"I have received several messages, why we have played with a different guitarist in Austria at Area 53 Festival and I understand your concern. As much as I know, Mike is doing ok. Thanks for writing and asking!" He then clarified: "Well he is not really answering my e mails, communication is difficult at this point. So I m not sure how he is doing.

"There was a problem that lead to the decision to carry on without him for now and there will be a statement in August explaining the situation.

"I am in this weird situation to lead the band in difficult Covid-times and we have been very productive and have already recorded the new album and are fully confident & ready for the festivals coming up.

"Please understand that this is a super difficult situation for me and we will release the statement when all things are sorted and clear. (Planned is August 19th for this) Nevertheless Destruction will continue to Thrash till Death ...

"Sorry about these uncomfortable news, it was not my decision, he decided to leave the band. Please stay tuned for the official statement ASAP!!!"

https://blabbermouth.net/news/destructi ... -explains/

Although he says there will be a statement in August, he also says "he decided to leave the band." So all this seem very strange. Also, anyone know who the replacement was for the gig? Also interesting to know that they've recorded a new album, though I wonder whether that was done with Mike.

Last edited by Dembo on Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 am 

Mike has looked like the Crypt Keeper for years and he has said in the past that he struggles to play their more difficult older songs - I can't help but wonder if it's due to failing health.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:40 pm 

Shame if true.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:02 pm 

From the statements it kind of sounds like Mike didn't want to risk getting COVID-19 by playing shows and fests while Schmier wants to go full steam ahead. Only speculation of course.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:54 am 

My initial knee-jerk thought was something along the lines of Mike not wanting to get vaccinated because I'm so conditioned to just expect the worst from people these days...

That's nothing but BASELESS SPECULATION of course. Do hope he's doing alright health-wise. Who knows maybe he just lost his passion for playing or got fed up with the rigors of the road. Interested to read the August 19th statement to clear the air.

Any way you slice it, it definitely appears to be the end of an era.

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:44 pm 

no mike no destruction to me

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:28 pm 

Regardless of the circumstances, it looks like Mike is no longer in Destruction and frankly, that sucks.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:40 pm 

This is terrible news, I don't necessarily think this means the end of Destruction, but it's definitely not going to be the same. I'm definitely curious to see whether they will just revert back to being a 3 piece or if they'll recruit another guitarist. Either way, it was an amazing run with the exception of the mid to late 90s "modern" crap.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:32 am 

I'd be down to have Harry Wilkens come back, he brought a lot of interesting new things to the band that I wish they had pursued further.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:29 pm 

From the sounds of it, Mike played on the new Destruction album. It's scheduled for release in early 2022 and they're putting the first single out on August 19, the same day the statement regarding Mike is supposed to be released, as per Schmier:

Quote:
"For a long time, I wasn't ready. And last year, I didn't even try to think about a new album. But then the beginning of this year, I was kind of motivated. After the livestream, basically, I sat down and started writing new stuff. And then in February, we started to do the first demos and everything. And we've [been] going to the studio ever since now. At this moment right now, I'm gonna go to the studio tomorrow again to do the final mixes. So the new album will be done this summer — like, at the of August, the mixes are done. And we will also release a new single very soon. But the album is coming the beginning of next year. Our label said right away, this year there's no more space for a new album; there's so many other bands coming [out with new releases] this year. Everybody pushed back [their releases]. But we will release some singles this year, so the fans will know a new album is coming soon. We have written a lot of great songs, I think, and the first one will be out in about two or three weeks — on the 19th of [August]."

Regarding how difficult it is to plan a new album release while the pandemic is still going on, Schmier said: "The problem is that when you can't tour, [releasing] a new album is kind of not very good. Because you wanna present the new songs to the fans, you wanna play them live. With 'Born To Perish', we could only do two European tours, and that's it. We couldn't go to the [United] States, to Asia, to South America, where we have the most fans. So it feels kind of weird. The next tour, we have to basically show two albums to the crowd — it's not just one; it's two albums we haven't presented yet.

"For me, once I was in the studio again, writing with the guys new songs [and] recording, it felt like being a musician again — something that we were missing the whole last year when the pandemic was at full force and we started getting depressed about the future," he continued. "And this year felt different. And I think the new album really had a big part of it for me, that I could feel it. We have to move on. You have to think positive, move forward. And it was good. So the new album really helped me through the pandemic. And now we're gonna have some first shows also. We already had the first festival, and we're gonna play six more now in August. Of course, you've gotta expect the unexpected, but on the other side, you're trying to stay positive and look into the future. We know that there's not gonna be real tours before next year. This year will be spontaneous gigs. We'll try to play as much as possible. But we don't expect full tours to happen this year."

If I had to make a guess I'd say they're just going to replace Mike and keep the two guitar lineup. They went back to two guitars specifically because it opened up more avenues in terms of songwriting and also allowed them to play songs from older albums live that they wouldn't have otherwise been able to play, and I can't imagine them wanting to give that up.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:28 pm 

I may be wrong but he’s been the only member who’s been with them from day 1 right?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:05 am 

des91 wrote:
I may be wrong but he’s been the only member who’s been with them from day 1 right?

Correct.

Cyrdarxes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:37 pm 

https://blabbermouth.net/news/destructi ... -the-band/

Looks like he's semi-officially out of the band. Guess we'll know for sure in two weeks, according to Schmier.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 pm 

Apparently, Mike didn't contribute to the new album at all. And seeing as they've had a lot of guests on the past couple albums, not looking promising.

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:32 am 

Of course this is disappointing, but they have been treading water for quite a while now. I haven't liked the last few albums, a couple of good tracks along with heaps of filler and recycled riffs. They also have overly slick and modern productions that kind of sucks the life out of the music.

It is interesting to not that Schmier has written most of the music on recent albums. In any case, I hope Mike's health gets better in the future.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:10 am 

He had a very unique riffing style compared to a lot of other thrash guitarists. A lot of those manic, busy riffs with a really cool sense of melody. Release From Agony or Eternal Devastation or The Antichrist - they wouldn't be what they are without him. Safe to say the band's gonna sound very different without him, it's going to be difficult to find a worthy replacement.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 am 

swine_brothers wrote:
Apparently, Mike didn't contribute to the new album at all.

Correct, it's even explicitly stated by Schmier:
"we went to the studio and recorded a new album, and he just didn't come. We did demo sessions, writing new songs, and he didn't come to write songs with us."

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:55 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:
He had a very unique riffing style compared to a lot of other thrash guitarists. A lot of those manic, busy riffs with a really cool sense of melody. Release From Agony or Eternal Devastation or The Antichrist - they wouldn't be what they are without him. Safe to say the band's gonna sound very different without him, it's going to be difficult to find a worthy replacement.

If what Schmier said about him being involved in all of destruction's songs to date is 100% true then this aspect shouldn't be missing at all from a songwriting standpoint, as it's obvious all songs, riffs included, are the brainchild of Schmier. Of course I don't think that's completely true since the band's signature sound is, for the most part, due to Mike's particular riffing style. That said, they haven't come up with a decent riff in more than a decade so they're pretty much dead in that regard.

Cyrdarxes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:41 am 

It's official. He's gone and his replacement has been announced:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/destructi ... placement/

blackblood666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 pm 

I dig the new track, but I hope this isn't the best this new album has to offer. Schmier sounds much closer to his old self than he has in years, so I'm on board for it, but it still sounds too close to everything else Destruction has been doing for the last twenty years.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:49 pm 

Since man don't click on links, the replacement is Martin Furia and here's the new track:

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:40 pm 

blackblood666 wrote:
I dig the new track, but I hope this isn't the best this new album has to offer. Schmier sounds much closer to his old self than he has in years, so I'm on board for it, but it still sounds too close to everything else Destruction has been doing for the last twenty years.

Exactly. The song is okay but it could have been off any of the last seven or eight albums. I guess it is too late to change things up but it is getting a bit repetitive. I'm sure I've heard those riffs before ...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:07 pm 

The new album is called Diabolical and will be released on April 8th via Napalm Records. A second song:

1. Under the Spell
2. Diabolical
3. No Faith in Humanity
4. Repent Your Sins
5. Hope Dies Last
6. The Last of a Dying Breed
7. State of Apathy
8. Tormented Soul
9. Servant of the Beast
10. The Lonely Wolf
11. Ghost from the Past
12. Whorefication
13. City Baby Attacked by Rats (GBH cover)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:37 am 

New song:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:01 am 

Released today and available for full listening here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... kLJQxt7iS8

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:58 pm 

The album is surprisingly good, considering Mike had no involvement, however as with other recent Destruction albums it has too many tracks and a bit too long.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:48 am 

Not bad at all. Prefer this to the latest Kreator.

ZiltoidAndroid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:00 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
The album is surprisingly good, considering Mike had no involvement, however as with other recent Destruction albums it has too many tracks and a bit too long.

I think the dual guitar work does add to Destruction. They played for years as a trio when they came back.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:

What tracks would you remove from the album? Would you resequence the whole thing? I just listened to the album today and wasn't blown away, but there was definitely something there.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:

I agree, the strength of the music actually surprised me, considering I was quite underwhelmed by State of Apathy.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:42 am 

I actually think the album is a lot better than I expected. I think, as someone else stated, the dual guitar work has added quite a lot to the sound.

Mitternachtswolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:17 pm 

The main problem is that nobody cares about Destruction. Schmier soldiers on with a new lineup, puts out a great album but it's still Destruction - in one ear and out the other in a few months. This will not be on anybody's year-end lists. Unfortunate with all the effort into keeping the band alive...but true.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:11 am 

In the most recent issue of Zero Tolerance Schmier says that Mike isn't really into thrash anymore, and is more of a classic rock guy, "So sometimes it was hard to write with him because he didn't feel the music anymore."

Reply to topic