Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:51 am 

Greek symphonic death metallers Septicflesh will release their eleventh full length, Modern Primitive, on May 20 through Nuclear Blast. From the press release:

Quote:
"Hierophant" tells the first part of story written by guitarist and clean vocalist Sotiris Anunnaki V titled "Salvation". It depicts the experience of a high priest, acting as a human conduit between Heaven and Earth. Having never heard a single word from the mouth of God, he grows tired of preaching the preordained words of the clergy. He turns to performing primitive and powerful rituals that have been long forbidden, as he seeks the guidance of a chaotic elemental consciousness. The second part of the tale will be revealed with the track "Self-Eater".

Vocalist and bassist Seth Siro Anton comments: "'Hierophant' is the result of an experiment with ideas that have been haunting our minds for quite a long time. Eventually they matured, leading us to create one of our darkest compositions ever. It is a rhythmical song with profane heavy riffing, layered with melodies that bring to mind chants from mystical ancient civilizations like the Egyptians."

Guitarist and orchestrator Christos Antoniou states: "We found it appropriate to add an imposing ritualistic element to the song. So, from the first second until the end, the orchestration is focused 100% on its grim task, to create an awe-inspiring atmosphere and put the listener at the center of this forbidden ceremony."

Tracklisting:
1. The Collector (04:03)
2. Hierophant (04:05)
3. Self-Eater (04:27)
4. Neuromancer (05:01)
5. Coming Storm (04:50)
6. A Desert Throne (04:18)
7. Modern Primitives (04:11)
8. Psychohistory (03:34)
9. A Dreadful Muse (04:09)

Hierophant has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

The single sounds promising. They've definitely toned down the orchestral elements a lot compared to Titan and the album runtime is the shortest it's been since Communion. Codex Omega was really good so I'm hoping they continue on that trajectory and focus a lot on the riffs.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:19 am 

I agree that the single sounds promising. I need to listen to their previous couple of albums again. It's been way too long. Looking forward to hearing some more from this one.

I think the shorter run time of the album will be in its favour. Get in, knock us about, get out.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:59 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Codex Omega was really good so I'm hoping they continue on that trajectory and focus a lot on the riffs.

Perhaps I shouldn't expect anything else, since I'm only fan of their early stuff, but I'm still disappointed how the band turned out. They had some of the most evocative guitar chops back in the day and nowadays the guitars just don't convey much; based on this new track it sounds like they're not changing gears, either.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:14 pm 

Can't listen yet but can only agree with Colin - their prime was in their earlier days and apart from few songs, nothing stood out anymore. Too much dull chugging in recent years.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:35 pm 

I'd love to hear them do something of the quality of Sumerian Daemons again - what a fucking insane album. Everything after that hasn't done it for me - though the last album wasn't too bad.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:38 pm 

Gotta admit, I really like their more blatantly symphonic era. "Communion" was the album that introduced me to them, after all. The only album from this era that really disappointed me was "Titan" - other than that, I thought "The Great Mass" and "Codex Omega" were pretty damn good.

I like this new single. Not radically different from what they've been doing lately, but it sounds good and the video's actually really cool.

~Guest 1454256
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:40 pm 

Sumerian Daemons is my favorite as well, but the 2 after it I liked as well (not as much though). Titan was kinda weak and I probably need to revisit Codex Omega.

I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up to Revolution DNA, but I'm probably alone here. That obviously will never happen though (it would be cool as a side-project though). That album I didn't like at all at release, but it grew on me a lot over the years.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:07 pm 

Damn Spiros just sounds like an absolute beast as usual. I enjoyed this, seems to be in line with Codex Omega which is fine by me, just hope there’s some more riffs (which is something Codex did better than Titan).

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:03 pm 

Damn that single sounded good. I'm definitely checking this one out

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:25 pm 

I'm liking the stomp on this one. I also feel like I'm one of the rare few who really liked Titan, it had a real denseness and sense of unease that I would have liked to have seen more of.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:29 am 

The second single is out:

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:43 am 

Both singles sound good. Second is more badass.

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:53 am 

One of the riffs is reminding me of "Where the Slime Live".

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 am 

jdmunyon wrote:
One of the riffs is reminding me of "Where the Slime Live".

totally.
But this is a killer tune....better than anything ive heard from them in some years.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:59 am 

Second single out, "A Desert Throne". I like it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:21 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

I think this is my least favourite SF track in a while. The mallcore sounding staccato riffs and the schmaltzy instrumentation doesn’t do it for me. Spiro’s vocals on point as usual though. Neuromancer was WAY better.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:43 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

*Third single

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:42 pm 

miss the day that this band had riffs
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:50 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
miss the day that this band had riffs

My thoughts exactly. I'm fine with the punchy guitar tone and some of the leads of that last single remind me slightly of ''The Eldest Cosmonaut'', but otherwise the guitars themselves aren't doing much at all.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 pm 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:07 pm 

I don't know, I found it to be their best since The Great Mass, if only because it doesn't sound like an exact carbon copy of it. I like the fact that it's mid-paced and slower, since when they go for full-throttle blasting it sounds dull as hell (especially since they stopped writing good riffs). It brings to mind their late 90s output, which is a good thing in my book. At least this album has atmosphere, thing that Codex Omega didn't have.

The folksy melodies, 12-string guitars and more clean vocals are a nice touch, and diverted my attention from those stupid chugs. Still, it's a shame that the distorted guitars are almost a percussion instrument now.

Which makes me wonder why did they bring a second guitarist to chug along with those dumb, overtly simplistic excuses for riffs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:36 am 

This is probably a bit better than shit like The Great Mass, but man is it boring as fuck.

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:17 am 

colin040 wrote:
Perhaps I shouldn't expect anything else, since I'm only fan of their early stuff, but I'm still disappointed how the band turned out. They had some of the most evocative guitar chops back in the day and nowadays the guitars just don't convey much; based on this new track it sounds like they're not changing gears, either.

Mystic Places of Dawn and Esoptron, as you very rightly said, had the most evocative guitar melodies, and this unique desperate epic feeling that truly was something of their own. I'm not interested anymore since the beginning of the "orchestral arrangement upon chugging rhythmic guitars". Not bad but just sounding like hundreds of other bands.
I'll try to listen to this new one just by curiosity, but it's not really the same band anymore.
Still the early records are here for us to witness the "pale beauty of the past". :wink:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm 

Actually got up to the Coming Storm in my car and really enjoying it. Definitely better as a whole.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:02 pm 

I'm pretty new to these guys mind you (listened through their full discog after reading the first few posts of this thread) but I quite dig this album. Honestly I liked the switch towards a more percussive riffing approach because I'm not as into the "every single riff is harmonized" vibe of some of their early stuff. Granted, I'd probably still rank Esoptron as my favorite but Communion and Titan were both top tier for me too. Really dig the drums of their modern era and I think the orchestra is implemented in a properly sinister sounding way without over-dominating the mix. I do definitely miss their guitar solos though, no idea why they completely dropped them starting with Sumerian Daemons since prior to that both Christos and Sotiris were great lead players.

This album seemed a bit like the Domination of their modern era in that it had more mid-tempo riffs and almost "groovy" moments (Neuromancer reminded me of Where the Slime Live in a good way). It also had more of those spooky gothic interlude bits I like which was fun, definitely an improvement overall on Codex Omega which I found to be the weakest of the post 2008 era. First listen favorites are Neuromancer, Coming Storm, Psychohistory, and A Dreadful Muse.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:43 am 

sounds good this, but that album cover is very uninspired
feels like they've been using the same idea for years

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:46 am 

I like Communion and The Great Mass, but the next two albums were much weaker in my opinion. This follows the last couple, a few good songs but the album overall doesn't hold up. Too much chugging ...

I think they should change things up a bit. Maybe add a few more solos, or even go back to the sound they had on Revolution DNA with more of a Gothic metal influence. The last three albums have been bit disappointing.

Reply to topic