Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 3490
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:09 pm 
 

^ I know, right? It's crazy how perfect this record is! I reviewed it 10 years ago and gave it a perfect 100% score, and I think I'd do the same if I reviewed it today.

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 3700
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:57 pm 
 

MARSDUDE wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
9. Alchemist - Spiritech (1997)


Now I can rest easy knowing this won't end up in the rando corner.


Such an amazing album, ain't it? I could've placed it higher.


This just reminded me of their amazing cover of "Eve Of The War"

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 2229
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:30 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
One Hour By The Concrete Lake by Pain of Salvation is one of the best prog metal albums of the '90's and was still stunning even in a time where Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and Tool were most celebrated. I expect The Divine Wings of Tragedy and Images and Words to perform better...and even A Social Grace but I like it better than those albums - or the 90's works of Threshold, Fates Warning, Opeth etc.


It was a tough decision whether I wanted Entropia or Concrete Lake on my list. I ended up opting for Entropia, but you're absolutely right.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm
Posts: 698
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 pm 
 

This was kind of a bitch to get together...but fun though. Over 30 potential albums painstakingly cut down to 10. I really wanted to include the likes of everyone from Bewitched and Cannibal Corpse to Hammerfall and W.A.S.P. , but alas, only 10 may reign. My list:

10.) Dio- Lock Up the Wolves

9.) Carcass- Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious

8.) Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence

7.) Deceased- Fearless Undead Machines

6.) King Diamond- The Eye

5.) Megadeth- Rust in Peace

4.) Demolition Hammer- Epidemic of Violence

3.) Dissection- Storm of the Light's Bane

2.) Kreator- Coma of Souls

1.) Judas Priest- Painkiller

Top
 Profile  
RememberTomorrow80
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:54 pm
Posts: 6
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:46 pm 
 

Xymosys wrote:
RememberTomorrow80 wrote:
Stuck to 1 album per band. Otherwise it would have ended up an Alice In Chains and Type O list with a few stragglers.

1. Alice In Chains - Dirt (1992)
2. Type O Negative - October Rust (1996)
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace (1990)
4. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994)
5. At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (1995)
6. Sepultura - Arise (1991)
7. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss (1990)
8. Emperor - In the Night Side Eclipse (1994)
9. Fear Factory - Demanufacture (1995)
10. Queensryche - Empire (1990)



Damn, that's some nice list you have there sir!


Obvious stuff. But sometimes it’s obvious or popular for a reason.

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 3490
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:50 am 
 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
9.) Carcass- Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious
4.) Demolition Hammer- Epidemic of Violence
1.) Judas Priest- Painkiller


My man!

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 1669
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:51 am 
 

Whew! Finally submitted my final list to BH. Easily one of the hardest lists I had to make, and I feel really sad having to kick out so many albums for the final one, but I think I'm pretty proud of how it came out overall :thumbsup:
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 2284
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:23 pm 
 

Metal_Jaw wrote:

10.) Dio- Lock Up the Wolves


A rando pick for sure. 90s Dio albums don't receive any love in this so far haha
_________________
Benedict Donald wrote:
It is interesting to consider that old school death metal is effectively granddad music now.

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 5712
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:19 pm 
 

1. Sabbat - The Dwelling
2. Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma
3. Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
4. Lunar Aurora - Weltenganger
5. Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 2
6. Cryptopsy - None So Vile
7. Blut Aus Nord - MV1: Fathers of the Icy Age
8. Paysage d'Hiver - Steineiche
9. Borknagar - The Olden Domain
10. Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
_________________
RYM
Stygian Narcosis - My concert photography Facebook page - Instagram too

Top
 Profile  
Durag
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:51 pm
Posts: 149
Location: Republic Of Ireland
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:21 pm 
 

1. Cradle Of Filth - Cruelty And The Beast
2. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
3. Emperor - In The Nightshade Eclipse
4. Neurosis - Time Of Grace
5. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
6. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
7. Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
8. Carcass - Necroticism
9. Burzum - Filosofem
10. Alice In Chains - Dirt

Would have really liked to fit in:

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Type O Negative - World Coming Down
Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth
Ulver - Bergtatt
Cradle Of Filth - Principles Of Evil Made Flesh

What a fucking decade for metal btw

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 924
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:23 pm 
 

Durag wrote:
10. Alice In Chains - Dirt

I forget Alice in Chains counts around here, maybe that should have been on my list.
_________________
Nobody wrote:
I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm
Posts: 698
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:35 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:

10.) Dio- Lock Up the Wolves


A rando pick for sure. 90s Dio albums don't receive any love in this so far haha


I'm sure, and it's a shame too. I think LUtW is on par with, if not even a little superior, to his four (?) previous solo outings.

Top
 Profile  
milosh111
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 7:22 pm
Posts: 62
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:24 am 
 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:

10.) Dio- Lock Up the Wolves


A rando pick for sure. 90s Dio albums don't receive any love in this so far haha


I'm sure, and it's a shame too. I think LUtW is on par with, if not even a little superior, to his four (?) previous solo outings.


I's say the same for Strange Highways (one of my honorable mentions). 90s Dio is underrated...

Top
 Profile  
mornox
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:09 pm
Posts: 257
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:44 pm 
 

Alright, the list has been sent. I had an easier time of it than the previous few lists, but I guess most of these albums have been a fixture for me since I've started listening to metal around '96 or thereabouts.

1 Emperor – In The Nightside Eclipse 1994
2 Master's Hammer ‎– Ritual 1991
3 Type O Negative - October Rust 1996
4 Cradle Of Filth – Cruelty And The Beast 1998
5 Fear Factory - Demanufacture 1995
6 Bal-Sagoth – Starfire Burning upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule 1996
7 Neurosis - Souls at Zero 1992
8 Septic Flesh – Ophidian Wheel 1997
9 Samael - Passage 1996
10 Vlad Tepes/Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust 1995

Top
 Profile  
Sick6Six
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 1932
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:49 am 
 

Lee Harrison wrote:
This is my list(since it is impossible make with all genres I choose only black metal)

1 Darkthrone Under a funeral fullmoon (my fav album and the most influential)

2 Necrophobic The Nocturnal Silence (stunning exordium of legendary band)

3 Vinterland Welcome to my last chapter (melody and sorrow never sound better)

4 Kvist For Kunstten…..(overlooked album)

5 Nargaroth Herbstleyd (hate or love him this is a masterpiece)

6 Horna Kohti yhdeksan nousua (that album started the new wave of finnish black metal)

7 Mutiilation Vampires of Black Imperial Blood(romanticism never sound better)

8 Sorhin I Det glimrande morkrets djiup (more cold than Transilvanian Hunger)

9 Forgotten Woods The curse of mankind (no words can’t describe this album so listen yourself)

10 Judas Iscariot Distant Solitary Night(nihilism is perfect for bm)

I leave at least 100 others wonderful album like Sacramentum,Obtained Endlavement,Enslaved,Windir only being part of black metal,understand that make a list of ‘90 best 10 album is sadism…


This is a pretty great list. Love the Sorhin and Forgotten Woods albums especially. I was considering that Mutiilation album and something by Judas Iscariot as well.
_________________
My Bandcamp collection

Top
 Profile  
senya
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:09 am
Posts: 7
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:51 pm 
 

Didn't realize I had so many albums from 1990 until I listed them out. Also even though I like a lot of stuff post 95 the only album I put there was None So Vile.

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2716
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:58 pm 
 

It was agonizing, and I sure had to leave off a lot of classics, but ultimately this is what my list boiled down to.

Spoiler: show
1. Soulfly - Soulfly (1998)
2. Sepultura - Roots (1996)
3. Pitchshifter - http://www.pitchshifter.com (Windows 98)
4. Machine Head - The Burning Red ('Ninety nine)
5. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)
6. Six Feet Under - Maximum Violence (1999)
7. Metallica - Load (aka The Cum Album)
8. Metallica -ReLoad (aka The Pee Album)
9. Black Sabbath - Forbidden
10. Korn - Self-titled

[This post contains hidden content. Quote to reveal it.]
_________________
Openly LGBTQ+
In defiance of Christofascists

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Top
 Profile  
Amerigo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 491
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:19 pm 
 

Okay, I've settled on a top 10.

1)Sentenced - Amok
A perfect marriage between hard rock and heavy metal that, to my ear, has never been replicated with the same down-on-your-luck nothing-to-lose attitude packed in such varied yet catchy songs. I've listened to this album near-religiously for two decades and running, I don't think I'll ever get sick of this magnificent record.

2) Hypocrisy - Abducted
Impeccable atmospheric death metal that skirts the line between brutality and a perversely lulling lugubriousness. By far the best record Hypocrisy ever put out. Just sublime.

3) Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics
Early Wizard records are all pretty quality, but I felt Come My Fanatics is the one most worthy of the title "heaviest band in the universe."

4) Bolt Thrower - IVth Crusade
Glad this record has gotten so much love. It's my favorite Bolt Thrower album and one of the most unique pieces of slower paced death metal that stands out from the rest with a strange kind of elegance.

5) Death - Human
Like the Wizard hard to pick a Death record from the 90s, but after a re-listen I felt Human was by far the most consistent, avoiding the tendency toward navel-gazing of SoP but with much of the same engaging complexity.

6) Winter - Into Darkness
At first, I almost punted it to the honorable mentions from the get-go, but a relisten gave me a much needed kick in the head. This is such a fucking heavy mammoth of a record. Some riffs are just veritable gut-punches.

7) Tiamat - Clouds
The muted production gives this album such a seance feel. While I can understand the appeal of the more Pink Floyd-y direction of Wildhoney and Deeper Kind of Slumber, Clouds will always be my favorite Tiamat record.

8) Lavra - bluenothing
Total waste of a vote, I know, since nobody seems to know about this band. I visited one of the biggest metal stores in Helsiniki, asked about this Finnish band and the guy hadn't even ever heard of them. So what chance have they got here? But I put this record on again and I instantly remembered why I found it so memorable. Shoegazy post-punk mixed with doom is debilitating depression made sound. There's no melodrama, romanticization a la more theatrical doomsters (say My Dying Bride). Instead it's very ordinary, plain, but gut-wrenchingly true in a let-the-current-carry-you-away mood.

9) Karma to Burn - Wild Wonderful Purgatory
I hate how instrumental bands generally underperform in these best-ofs. But if there was ever an instrumental metal band I'd pick to listen to on any day of the week it'd be K2B. Such a shame that their guitarist died so young, because this band and particularly this album epitomized a West-Virginia-take on stoner metal. You can almost hear that bluegarassy-twang between the lines.

10) Железный Поток - Знамение
Probably another waste of a vote, but with Aspid getting so much love, I feel like this Soviet thrash record I'd put above all the rest. It suffers from shitty production, but it's such a varied, meticulously composed piece that channels both Vendetta's Brain Damage and something punkier like Suicidal Tendencies.


Honorable Mentions:
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Tiamat - Wildhoney
God Macabre - Winterlong
Einherjer - Dragons of the North
Haggard - And Thou Shalt Trust... the Seer
Death - Symbolic
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Grave Digger - Excalibur
Infernal Majesty - Unholier than Thou
Gehennah - Hardrocker
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One
Carpathian Forest - Bloodlust and Perversion
Mythic - Mourning in the Winter Solstice
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
_________________
"The answer cannot be found
In the writing of others"

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Top
 Profile  
Amerigo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 491
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:31 pm 
 

MARSDUDE wrote:
4. Tiamat - Skeleton Skeletron (1999)

Kudos to this vote. It always struck me that goth-era Tiamat has been rather unpopular on this forum, but, frankly, I think Skeleton Skeletron (and the two albums that followed) were a helluva lot better than Astral Sleep--never quite understood the hype around it given that Clouds came out just a year later!
_________________
"The answer cannot be found
In the writing of others"

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Top
 Profile  
Bastarex
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:44 am
Posts: 16
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:11 am 
 

Okay, I've settled for a top ten!
But damn, this was a difficult one to pull off!

1. Vader - "The Ultimate Incantation" (1992)
2. Thergothon - "Stream from the Heavens" (1994)
3. Enthroned - "Prophecies of Pagan Fire" (1995)
4. dISEMBOWELMENT - "Transcendence into the Peripheral" (1993)
5. Esoteric - "The Pernicious Enigma" (1997)
6. Winter - "Into Darkness" (1990)
7. Bolt Thrower - "The IVth Crusade" (1992)
8. Sacrilegium - "Wicher" (1996)
9. Dornenreich - "Nicht um zu sterben" (1997)
10. My Dying Bride - "As the Flower Withers" (1992)

Top
 Profile  
Zephirus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:37 pm
Posts: 539
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:02 am 
 

Bastarex wrote:
Okay, I've settled for a top ten!
But damn, this was a difficult one to pull off!

1. Vader - "The Ultimate Incantation" (1992)
2. Thergothon - "Stream from the Heavens" (1994)
3. Enthroned - "Prophecies of Pagan Fire" (1995)
4. dISEMBOWELMENT - "Transcendence into the Peripheral" (1993)
5. Esoteric - "The Pernicious Enigma" (1997)
6. Winter - "Into Darkness" (1990)
7. Bolt Thrower - "The IVth Crusade" (1992)
8. Sacrilegium - "Wicher" (1996)
9. Dornenreich - "Nicht um zu sterben" (1997)
10. My Dying Bride - "As the Flower Withers" (1992)


nice to see enthroned in the mix. love their albums with sabathan

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 3700
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:57 am 
 

Went through my list and realized what a basic bastard I am. The 90's is the decade that I got into metal, hence so many of my choices are the big names. Nostalgia is such a significant part of this for me.

1. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory (1999)
In my opinion, the greatest concept album of all time. The songs are progressive and interesting - and in my opinion, nothing DT ever did after this even came close. I'm still amazed by parts of this record and listen to it in full at least once every year (around the autumn, which is when I found it for the first time)

2. Metallica - Reload (1997)
The first Metallica record to be released while I was a fan, and actually my third favourite Metallica record in their career (next to MOP and AJFA, although, sometimes in the summer, I think Reload is my absolute favourite). Super nostalgic for me - as it reminds me of the first summer my older brother got his licence and we would spend hours driving around with this CD in the deck, listening to it front-to-back. The second half of Reload is one of the most underrated things. It has potentially Metallica's most interesting song (Where The Wild Things Are), their best ballad (Low Man's Lyric), their most underrated deep-cut banger (Prince Charming) and one of their best emotional epics (Fixxxer). So glad I got to see Fixxxer live at MET40.

3. Anathema - Alternative 4 (1998)
The record that got me into Anathema, and holds some of my favourite cuts from the band (Regret being one of my favourites). As cheesy as it sounds, Alternative 4 helped me through some dark, dark times when I felt really alone and depressed. I can now hear it objectively and still enjoy it.

4. Edguy - Vain Glory Opera (1998)
Probably my favourite PM album of all time. If Edguy ever reforms and announces they are playing this front-to-back, I will travel anywhere in the world to be there. So many epic hooks, and not a lot of the really awful lyrical humour that turns me off from some other Edguy stuff.

5. Anathema - Judgement (1999)
I debated if I wanted to put 2 albums from a single artist on this, and then I thought - well, what the fuck, if these are your favourites, they are your favourites. Judgement is pretty spectacular and that opening four-pack of songs that flow into each other is incredible.

6. Opeth - Still Life (1999)
Lives in the shadow of Blackwater Park for me sometimes, but holds probably my favourite Opeth track (Godhead's Lament). One of my favourite album covers of all time, too.

7. Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction (1992)
Yeah, Rust In Peace. I get it. But Countdown was one of the first metal albums I ever owned, and even though a song like Captive Honor makes me grimace now, and Symphony/Sweating Bullets are super overplayed, I love the way the album sounds and flows. Skin O My Teeth is such a smoking opener.

8. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)
Say whatever you want, but to me, hearing the intro to the title track for the first time opened my ears to more extreme metal. Songs like Suicide Note Part 2 are the reason I became a fan of black/death metal due to the extreme vocals. Floods is one of the best Pantera songs ever.

9. Demons & Wizards - Demons & Wizards (1999)
While some of Blind Guardian leaves me a little cold, because of the over-the-top fantasy/medieval imagery/lyrics, this was dialled back just enough for me to enjoy the pure power of Hansi. Fiddler on the Green? One of the best ballads in metal history.

10. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss (1990)
Sometimes I think Seasons is my favourite Slayer album. The overplayed Warhorses on the album are pretty much the best songs (Dead Skin Mask is probably my favourite Slayer song), but one deep cut I truly adore is "Skeletons Of Society".

Top
 Profile  
Lee Harrison
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 6:28 am
Posts: 198
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:43 pm 
 

Sick6Six wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
This is my list(since it is impossible make with all genres I choose only black metal)

1 Darkthrone Under a funeral fullmoon (my fav album and the most influential)

2 Necrophobic The Nocturnal Silence (stunning exordium of legendary band)

3 Vinterland Welcome to my last chapter (melody and sorrow never sound better)

4 Kvist For Kunstten…..(overlooked album)

5 Nargaroth Herbstleyd (hate or love him this is a masterpiece)

6 Horna Kohti yhdeksan nousua (that album started the new wave of finnish black metal)

7 Mutiilation Vampires of Black Imperial Blood(romanticism never sound better)

8 Sorhin I Det glimrande morkrets djiup (more cold than Transilvanian Hunger)

9 Forgotten Woods The curse of mankind (no words can’t describe this album so listen yourself)

10 Judas Iscariot Distant Solitary Night(nihilism is perfect for bm)

I leave at least 100 others wonderful album like Sacramentum,Obtained Endlavement,Enslaved,Windir only being part of black metal,understand that make a list of ‘90 best 10 album is sadism…


This is a pretty great list. Love the Sorhin and Forgotten Woods albums especially. I was considering that Mutiilation album and something by Judas Iscariot as well.

Try to make a different list respect the more known classic of’90…

Im curious to see your choice
_________________
Let this art(bm)forever be your escape from modern world
(Akhenaton)

Top
 Profile  
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 1337
Location: Behind the wall of fire v.2
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:37 am 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
It was agonizing, and I sure had to leave off a lot of classics, but ultimately this is what my list boiled down to.

Spoiler: show
1. Soulfly - Soulfly (1998)
2. Sepultura - Roots (1996)
3. Pitchshifter - http://www.pitchshifter.com (Windows 98)
4. Machine Head - The Burning Red ('Ninety nine)
5. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)
6. Six Feet Under - Maximum Violence (1999)
7. Metallica - Load (aka The Cum Album)
8. Metallica -ReLoad (aka The Pee Album)
9. Black Sabbath - Forbidden
10. Korn - Self-titled

[This post contains hidden content. Quote to reveal it.]

It actually took me a really long time to get the joke, because I was just looking at the artists and thinking: " Okaaaay, fair, sure, uh-huh, hmm?" And then I started reading the years... Good one!
_________________
Osore wrote:
like late Monet with hints of blood

Top
 Profile  
lordcatfish
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 1165
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:14 am 
 

jimbies wrote:
4. Edguy - Vain Glory Opera (1998)
Probably my favourite PM album of all time. If Edguy ever reforms and announces they are playing this front-to-back, I will travel anywhere in the world to be there. So many epic hooks, and not a lot of the really awful lyrical humour that turns me off from some other Edguy stuff.

I can now rest, safe in the knowledge that this won't be in the rando corner.
_________________
last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Terri23
Veteran

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 2973
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am 
 

jimbies wrote:
Spoiler: show
Went through my list and realized what a basic bastard I am. The 90's is the decade that I got into metal, hence so many of my choices are the big names. Nostalgia is such a significant part of this for me.

1. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory (1999)
In my opinion, the greatest concept album of all time. The songs are progressive and interesting - and in my opinion, nothing DT ever did after this even came close. I'm still amazed by parts of this record and listen to it in full at least once every year (around the autumn, which is when I found it for the first time)

2. Metallica - Reload (1997)
The first Metallica record to be released while I was a fan, and actually my third favourite Metallica record in their career (next to MOP and AJFA, although, sometimes in the summer, I think Reload is my absolute favourite). Super nostalgic for me - as it reminds me of the first summer my older brother got his licence and we would spend hours driving around with this CD in the deck, listening to it front-to-back. The second half of Reload is one of the most underrated things. It has potentially Metallica's most interesting song (Where The Wild Things Are), their best ballad (Low Man's Lyric), their most underrated deep-cut banger (Prince Charming) and one of their best emotional epics (Fixxxer). So glad I got to see Fixxxer live at MET40.

3. Anathema - Alternative 4 (1998)
The record that got me into Anathema, and holds some of my favourite cuts from the band (Regret being one of my favourites). As cheesy as it sounds, Alternative 4 helped me through some dark, dark times when I felt really alone and depressed. I can now hear it objectively and still enjoy it.

4. Edguy - Vain Glory Opera (1998)
Probably my favourite PM album of all time. If Edguy ever reforms and announces they are playing this front-to-back, I will travel anywhere in the world to be there. So many epic hooks, and not a lot of the really awful lyrical humour that turns me off from some other Edguy stuff.

5. Anathema - Judgement (1999)
I debated if I wanted to put 2 albums from a single artist on this, and then I thought - well, what the fuck, if these are your favourites, they are your favourites. Judgement is pretty spectacular and that opening four-pack of songs that flow into each other is incredible.

6. Opeth - Still Life (1999)
Lives in the shadow of Blackwater Park for me sometimes, but holds probably my favourite Opeth track (Godhead's Lament). One of my favourite album covers of all time, too.

7. Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction (1992)
Yeah, Rust In Peace. I get it. But Countdown was one of the first metal albums I ever owned, and even though a song like Captive Honor makes me grimace now, and Symphony/Sweating Bullets are super overplayed, I love the way the album sounds and flows. Skin O My Teeth is such a smoking opener.

8. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)
Say whatever you want, but to me, hearing the intro to the title track for the first time opened my ears to more extreme metal. Songs like Suicide Note Part 2 are the reason I became a fan of black/death metal due to the extreme vocals. Floods is one of the best Pantera songs ever.

9. Demons & Wizards - Demons & Wizards (1999)
While some of Blind Guardian leaves me a little cold, because of the over-the-top fantasy/medieval imagery/lyrics, this was dialled back just enough for me to enjoy the pure power of Hansi. Fiddler on the Green? One of the best ballads in metal history.

10. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss (1990)
Sometimes I think Seasons is my favourite Slayer album. The overplayed Warhorses on the album are pretty much the best songs (Dead Skin Mask is probably my favourite Slayer song), but one deep cut I truly adore is "Skeletons Of Society".


Interesting list. You approached it differently than most people here. But it's subjective, so fuck it. ReLoad was also my first Metallica record, though I don't share the same sentiments to you about most of that record. Indeed, Better Than You, Slither, Carpe Diem Baby and Bad Seed just might be the worst run of 4 songs on any Metallica ever. I remember watching a show called Rage, which is the closest thing Australia ever got to MTV in its heyday, when I was a young teen, and at something like 2 or 3 in the morning, Fuel came on. It was the first time the music video had aired in Australia, and it was completely different to everything else that was out at the time. I had all 3 Fuel singles that were released at the time, and picked up ReLoad about a month later. By the end of 1998, I had every record Metallica had put out.
_________________
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
American isn't a nationality

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Top
 Profile  
Prairieshadow
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:01 am
Posts: 408
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:56 pm 
 

I wasn't gonna post....but here it is.

1. Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood (1996)
2. Agalloch - Pale Folklore (1999)
3. Neurosis - Times of Grace (1999)
4. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler (1995)
5. Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse (1998)
6. Burzum - Filosofem (1996)
7. Melvins - The Maggot (1999)
8. Metallica - Metallica (1991)
9. ISIS - Mosquito Control (1998)
10. Mr Bungle - Mr Bungle (1991)

Top
 Profile  
totalthrash
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:17 am
Posts: 21
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:36 am 
 

Here is my list

1. Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
2. Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black
3. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
4. Skid Row - Slave to the Grind
5. Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune
6. Sodom - Tapping the Vein
7. Deicide - S/T
8. Vio-lence - Oppressing the Masses
9. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth
10. Stygian - Planetary Destruction

Honorable Mentions

Sadus - Swallowed in Black
Protector - A Shedding of Skin
Dark Angel - Time does not Heal
Deicide - Serpents of the Light
Heathen - Victims of Deception
Razor - Shotgun Justice
Devastation - Idolatry
Desultory - Into Eternity
Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence

Sadus and Razor, I think would probably be 11 and 12 but it might change next week. TE would
probably be 8, 9 or 10 but wanted to include more different bands. EoV has always been easily my fave
album released after the 80s so that was an easy number one. Then 2, 3, 4 are a clear next group. Then
4-10 are pretty interchangeable and if I did another list next year, I can't say for certain, it would be the same order from 4-10.

Top
 Profile  
Jebator
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:11 am
Posts: 179
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:34 am 
 

My list:

1. CRADLE OF FILTH – Cruelty and the Beast (1998)
2. EMPEROR – Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (1997)
3. DISSECTION – Storm of the Light’s Bane (1995)
4. DISMEMBER – Like an Everflowing Stream (1991)
5. AMORPHIS – Elegy (1996)
6. DREAM THEATER – Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)
7. LABYRINTH – Return to Heaven Denied (1998)
8. CROWN OF THORNS (THE CROWN) – Eternal Death (1997)
9. NAGELFAR – Huenengrab im Herbst (1997)
10. ROTTING CHRIST – Triarchy of the Lost Lovers (1996)

There are bands on the list I couldn't care less about today (Amorphis, Rotting Christ), but had life-altering classic in their formative years.

These almost missed the last spot:

TIAMAT – Wildhoney
DEATH – Human
GARDENIAN – Soulburner
GOREFEST – Soul Survivor
MALIGNANT ETERNAL – Far Beneath the Sun

Top
 Profile  
Forever Underground
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:35 am
Posts: 144
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 am 
 

Jebator wrote:
9. NAGELFAR – Huenengrab im Herbst (1997)


Yeeey some Nagelfar love

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1425
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:42 am 
 

jimbies wrote:
Went through my list and realized what a basic bastard I am. The 90's is the decade that I got into metal, hence so many of my choices are the big names. Nostalgia is such a significant part of this for me.

9. Demons & Wizards - Demons & Wizards (1999)
While some of Blind Guardian leaves me a little cold, because of the over-the-top fantasy/medieval imagery/lyrics, this was dialled back just enough for me to enjoy the pure power of Hansi. Fiddler on the Green? One of the best ballads in metal history.


Nice pick! I totally forgot about that album as I keep thinking it's from 2000. I think some version I had (maybe iTunes, as that's where I originally got the album, in 2009) said such? Or I'm just dumb. Wouldn't have quite made my top 10 either way, but I feel it's quite underrated and certainly the best D&W record (and better than any Iced Earth record). It's really the middle where "Path of Glory" and "Blood on my Hands" leave me a bit cold, otherwise every track is killer. Aside from the obvious "Fiddler on the Green," "The Whistler" has always been a personal favorite.
_________________
Check out my new Comprehensive Guide to USPM!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 3873
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:20 am 
 

Jophelerx wrote:
jimbies wrote:
Went through my list and realized what a basic bastard I am. The 90's is the decade that I got into metal, hence so many of my choices are the big names. Nostalgia is such a significant part of this for me.

9. Demons & Wizards - Demons & Wizards (1999)
While some of Blind Guardian leaves me a little cold, because of the over-the-top fantasy/medieval imagery/lyrics, this was dialled back just enough for me to enjoy the pure power of Hansi. Fiddler on the Green? One of the best ballads in metal history.


Nice pick! I totally forgot about that album as I keep thinking it's from 2000. I think some version I had (maybe iTunes, as that's where I originally got the album, in 2009) said such? Or I'm just dumb. Wouldn't have quite made my top 10 either way, but I feel it's quite underrated and certainly the best D&W record (and better than any Iced Earth record). It's really the middle where "Path of Glory" and "Blood on my Hands" leave me a bit cold, otherwise every track is killer. Aside from the obvious "Fiddler on the Green," "The Whistler" has always been a personal favorite.

Yeah, definitely better than anything Iced Earth ever did. Blood on My Hands is a perfect track in my opinion.

Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1651
Location: Catalunya
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:37 pm 
 

Very interesting reading everyone's lists, mini-reviews and comments, cheers. I'm picking up on a lot of great stuff that slipped under the radar :thumbsup:

Top
 Profile  
anarchoquietist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:58 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:20 pm 
 

Prairieshadow wrote:
9. ISIS - Mosquito Control (1998)

Oh, maybe I should have included this one. I assumed EPs didn't count. Even though I prefer later Isis (Panopticon is my favorite album of all time) I absolutely love mosquito control. Poison eggs in particular is such an amazing song, the way it builds up makes it sound so fucking heavy

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 3490
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:59 am 
 

I was going to wait until the end of the month to actually decide on the final composition of my top 10, like I did with the end of the year poll last time, but after spinning the same few albums over and over for the last three weeks, I figured that my top 10 was as ready as it would ever be, and that I couldn't possibly be a 100% satisfied as I would definitely have to leave out some of my favorite records of all time, due to the extreme amount of quality records released in the 90's.

Top 10
1. Death – Human (1991)
2. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)
3. Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory (1994)
4. Bolt Thrower - War Master (1991)
5. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)
6. Agalloch - Pale Folklore (1999)
7. Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (1997)
8. Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated (1992)
9. Ulver - Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler (1995)
10. Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (1992)


Honorable mentions
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity (1993)
Demilich – Nespithe (1993)
Nocturnus - The Key (1990)
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops (1994)
Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade (1992)
Children of Bodom – Hatebreeder (1999)
Timeghoul - Tumultuous Travelings (1992)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991)
Immortal - Pure Holocaust (1993)
Megadeth - Rust In Peace (1990)
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun (1992)
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky (1992)
Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh (1994)
Carcass – Heartwork (1993)
Cynic – Focus (1993)
Cryptopsy - None So Vile (1996)
Timeghoul - Panaramic Twilight (1994)
Sigh - Scorn Defeat (1993)
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (1994)
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (1999)
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)
Alice in Chains – Dirt (1992)
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence (1992)
Borknagar - The Olden Domain (1997)
Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied (1998)
Cannibal Corpse – Bloodthirst (1999)

Of all the records I had to cut out of the top 10, The Erosion of Sanity, Nespithe, and The Key really hurt a lot. All are amazing records that could have easily made it in the top 10 on any other given day. But in the end, I had so many death metal records in there, and I really felt like La Masquerade Infernale, Bergtatt, and Sleep's Holy Mountain all deserved spots in there, as they are all truly brilliant records!

In the end there are still a ton of death metal records in there, but it's my favorite subgenre and I had to make the most honest picks. If we had 20 or 30 picks, there would have definitely been more diversity in the subgenres represented, but hey, it is what it is.

As always, it was a lot of fun to revisit these records and go through the pain of trying to rank albums, even if they can hardly be compared. Thanks a lot for this BH! And I can't wait to see the final results!

Top
 Profile  
Ravenlord266
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:18 pm
Posts: 1441
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:53 am 
 

Took me a while but here it is. RiP is a great album but I figured it got enough love for me to not need to put it in my top 10. To be fair, i'm not sure it would have made it anyhow.

1. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth (1998)

2. Type O Negative - October Rust (1996)

3. WASP - The Crimson Idol (1992)

4. Savatage - Ghost in the Ruins LIVE (1995)

5. Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)

6. Death - Human (1991)

7. Agalloch - Pale Folklore (1999)

8. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day (1996)

9. Gamma Ray - Somewhere out in Space (1997)

10. Anthrax - Persistence of Time (1990)
_________________
Yonder - Old School Dungeon Synth

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Top
 Profile  
Prairieshadow
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:01 am
Posts: 408
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:55 am 
 

anarchoquietist wrote:
Prairieshadow wrote:
9. ISIS - Mosquito Control (1998)

Oh, maybe I should have included this one. I assumed EPs didn't count. Even though I prefer later Isis (Panopticon is my favorite album of all time) I absolutely love mosquito control. Poison eggs in particular is such an amazing song, the way it builds up makes it sound so fucking heavy

I never get tired of it, the guitar tone is so sick.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 10452
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:08 am 
 

Nobody in particular but I'm sure quite a few are thinking wrote:
Hey asshole, I sent you my ballot like three weeks ago and it's still in the outbox! What gives??


Yeah I've currently got 91 unopened PMs dating back to the seventh right now. You guys have been incredible and I haven't been able to keep on top of everything this round. This month really has turned out to be an endless shit-tornado that has given me basically no free time at all. Everything that has demanded my time has all been very unique things that aren't recurring problems in my life, but a lot of really stupid chickens came home to roost over the last few weeks. When I saw the backlog yesterday I just wanted to burn the ballot box and run away rather than try to get everything entered properly. I'm genuinely considering just stepping down from the polls in the future because I have a ton of fun with them, but it's becoming pretty impractical for me to hog all of the resources and insist on just doing it all myself when I'm also like, a real adult human being with a house and a job and shit. Historically the mid-year polls always wind up on more of a time crunch for me so maybe I'll just give up the June polls, but who knows, I could feel totally different next year or change my mind an hour from now.

HOWEVER! Completely coincidentally, it just dawned on me the other day that I genuinely haven't taken anything more than one day here or there off from work since 2019 at least, and I'm so used to America being a hellhole country with no guaranteed labor rights that I just never even bothered looking at my accrued PTO since I know I wouldn't need to worry about it if I didn't life in a failed state. Turns out I've got like a month and a half of time off stored up so I gave work the finger and I'll be off for the next two weeks. I didn't do it for the poll (I love you guys but I'm not that much of a hypernerd) but it worked out pretty well. Hopefully y'all'll finally see your shit get opened and taken care of and everything will be posted on time as usual. For once in my life I ain't got fuck all else to do so I can finally knuckle down and figure out how much Rust in Peace is gonna win by.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST THING: BH AWARDS 2021
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 3873
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:34 am 
 

We definitely know you did it so you can count votes while drinking a margarita from Hawaii.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 10452
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:48 am 
 

The only human being on the planet who is sweatier than I am is Patrick Ewing. If I ever went to Hawaii I'd need to be in some self-cooling space suit just to avoid melting like the bad guys in Raiders of the Lost Ark :lol:
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST THING: BH AWARDS 2021
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Benedict Donald, Smoking_Gnu, Velmu and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group