Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:39 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
As usual, absolutely atrocious vocals. Has he never taken vocal lessons in the 30 years he's been doing this? Nails on a chalkboard. That being said, instrumentally it's better than I expected. Solos are well placed, short and sweet. Song overall is a little repetitive though.

His vocals have actually improved since he beat throat cancer. And have you listened to Youthanasia or Cryptic Writings? Loads of great vocal melodies on those albums.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
This is exactly what I want from Megadeth. The riff reminds me a little of Whiplash, but that's fine. It's fast, Dave sounds fucking pissed off, and it works. Probably their best single since Dialectic Chaos/This Day We Fight. I really hope that, unlike what they did with Endgame, that this isn't the only thrash track on the record, and they haven't lead off with the best track on the record.

Dave says there's a bunch of bands he wants to one-up and that's the why the new album is entirely fast and heavy;

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/megad ... crosshairs

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:41 pm 

great !!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:18 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Dave says there's a bunch of bands he wants to one-up

That's not a very good sign.

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:00 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Dave says there's a bunch of bands he wants to one-up

That's not a very good sign.

Depends on the bands he wants to "one up". The kind of bands he's been touring with, or that are popular "metal bands" for the last 20+ years? Then yeah, bad sign. The only band he really needs to "one up" is Megadeth. All bands really only need to "one up" themselves. Not listening to he newly released track yet. As already mentioned, Megadeth are notorious for releasing a first track before album release that is very much the exception to the rest of the album and fails utterly to represent the rest. I'll likely wait for the the album to drop to hear anything.

And I have to completely disagree with an assessment earlier in the thread. That's hands-down the worst Megadeth album cover to date. Yes, I'm including the (original) Killing is my Business... cover. It's the 2022 equivalent to Iron Maiden's Dance of Death. As stated, it looks like a video game. Except it's not a video game, it's an album cover. The concept is decent enough, but it needs an actual artist to to execute it. I know the idea is to aim at the target audience or Megadeth these days, but that doesn't mean it's good. In fact, it means it will only look worse over time. Certainly not what anyone would hope for regarding the music it's representing. This plays into my trepidation about forming any conclusions or expectations for the album based on a lead single.

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 pm 

I don't think its bad if Dave wants to lay other bands to waste...as long as he does it.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:23 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
As usual, absolutely atrocious vocals. Has he never taken vocal lessons in the 30 years he's been doing this? Nails on a chalkboard. That being said, instrumentally it's better than I expected. Solos are well placed, short and sweet. Song overall is a little repetitive though.

His vocals have actually improved since he beat throat cancer. And have you listened to Youthanasia or Cryptic Writings? Loads of great vocal melodies on those albums.

No like button. so yeah, exactly this. Youthanasia has some great vocal melodies.... possibly his best vocal melodies.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:22 pm 

I really enjoyed the single. Dystopia was a great album, and this one feels like a continuation to me.

I don't know how many albums Dave has left in him, and I realize he's kind of a nutcase, but these last few years of Megadeth have been a real return to form.

Spiral Architect
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 am 

Yeah that cover is pure dogshit... Were they going with Clint Eastwood and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Absolute trainwreck. The Dance of Death comparison is accurate.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:05 am 

Spiral Architect wrote:
Yeah that cover is pure dogshit... Were they going with Clint Eastwood and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Absolute trainwreck. The Dance of Death comparison is accurate.

I think you need to take another look at Dance of Death. This cover is comparable to Dystopia.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:12 am 

Spiral Architect wrote:

How is the latest Megadeth album cover even comparable to the horribly-aged CGI of Dance of Death?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:15 am 

the new cover kind of falls apart under scrutiny (check out those weird CGI faces, yeesh), but from a distance it looks very cool. Vic is done very well, at least.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:10 am 

With the way the font is written I'm surprised it's not followed by a bunch of WOW emojis.

But then again I like old Darkthrone covers, soooo.....

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:58 pm 

Very unfortunate that Ed Repka didnt do it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:45 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
With the way the font is written I'm surprised it's not followed by a bunch of WOW emojis.

But then again I like old Darkthrone covers, soooo.....

Yeah, the font was off-putting for me at first. Thinking about it some more, I feel Dave wanted it to look dramatic and sensationalized, like the text on an old movie poster. Given the subject matter, fingers crossed we don't have songs about the "plandemic." (Does anyone know if Dave still believes all that "endgame" crap?)

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Very unfortunate that Ed Repka didnt do it.

Repka has kind of lost it now anyway.

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
That's hands-down the worst Megadeth album cover to date. Yes, I'm including the (original) Killing is my Business... cover.

Surprised you said KIMB there rather than TWNAH...

Spoiler: show
It's bath time!

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 pm 

DeadKid wrote:
BackInTheVillage wrote:
That's hands-down the worst Megadeth album cover to date. Yes, I'm including the (original) Killing is my Business... cover.

Surprised you said KIMB there rather than TWNAH...

Spoiler: show
It's bath time!

Yeah that one's not great but it at least has the proper Megadeth logo, unlike Cryptic Writings and Risk.

KaiKasparek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:45 pm 

The World Needs A Hero cover is definitely worse than the new one. I don't mind the new one. But I'm wondering why he hasn't used Ed Repka in about 30 years.

Star_Fox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
The World Needs A Hero cover is definitely worse than the new one. I don't mind the new one. But I'm wondering why he hasn't used Ed Repka in about 30 years.

The concept for TWNAH is alright, especially after the Risk debacle. Ed's the guy who did Peace and Rust, right? Is it just the 2? The guy who did CTE and Youthanasia did a great job.

I actually like Kimbs original cover, but sure, The Final Kill version looks great. I think because the image is a picture of an actual model. This leads me onto the new album sleeve.

Deth have posted (on Twitter) the lyrics for 'The Sick, The Dying, and The Dead - looks like it's about the Black Death, which sort of resonates with this covid crap era. They also show a page from the album booklet, and it looks like model skulls and bones were created, painted, and photographed. The sleeve looks excellent!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:45 am 

There is a new track on Spotify called "Night Stalkers", which features Ice T. The video is arriving later today (at least in Canada... I think it's already out in some parts of the world).

I'm kind of medium-cool on the new song, and Ice T's part is pretty silly. The middle interlude of the song is pretty sweet, though.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 am 

Here's the newly released track from Megadeth's upcoming new album. The song guest features Ice-T. Currently listening to it.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:43 am 

Yeah Night Stalkers is better than We'll Be Back but I'm pretty impressed by both new songs so far.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:53 pm 

I'm not the biggest Megadeth fan, especially beyond Youthanasia, but that first single was not awful.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:59 pm 

The new music video is out. Someone gets Vicced... :wink:

Mitternachtswolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:07 pm 

I can already see the new compilation...

Sleepwalkers & Night Stalkers: The Best of Megadeth

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:43 pm 

I hated that. Mostly because it's just a shameless rip off of She-Wolf and nowhere as memorable as that song.

Mitternachtswolf wrote:
I can already see the new compilation...

Sleepwalkers & Night Stalkers: The Best of Megadeth

Ahahahahahaha....

Bonziepsycho wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I stopped reading at "Ultra Metal", sorry.

What is wrong with ultra metal?

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:20 pm 

Not a big fan of the new song. It's fine, but the riffs are pretty boring and there's a distinct lack of hooks. Definitely liked the first single a lot more.

Still, a mediocre Megadeth song from this era/lineup is pretty good compared to what a lot of bands put out.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:37 pm 

The new song sounded good to me. Ice-T was a weird inclusion but whatever. I'm still looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:44 am 

Mustaine's voice has a grit to it here....he sounds less like Popeye these days.
As for the song? Kinda digging it until Ice T rears his ugly head....ugh.

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:32 pm 

Such a killer tune. It seems the new Megadeth record will be the best thrash work from 2022. Ten out of ten so far. If the third song song keeps this kind of excellence and aggression, there will be no doubt that these will be a great comeback of Megadeth.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:41 pm 

Why does Ice T keep getting work in metal?

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:20 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Why does Ice T keep getting work in metal?

Because he is a huge fan of the genre, and part of the scene with his crossover thrash band Bodycount.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:41 pm 

I thought Body Count was a hardcore band.

Anyway, any time Ice T appears on a metal song, it always sucks. See Six Feet Under's One Bullet Left. "Is a fan of metal" does not equate to "can make good metal songs".

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:49 pm 

I'd argue that Ice T's verses on that SFU song is the best thing about it. Bodycount lean more to the hardcore side of crossover, but definitely have loads of metal in their sound too. Fit right at home with bands like Suicidal Tendencies. This track for example, is definitely metal:

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:31 pm 

Nothing says, "anti-government" and "anarchist" like writing a song about a covert military unit conducting clandestine (see also: illegal) operations in other countries that overthrow their leadership and send their citizens into a perpetual, generational death spiral in the name of American might-makes-right imperialism.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Star_Fox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:13 am 

As a general rule I'll listen to a song, then watch the promo video a bit latter. And with regards to 'Night Stalkers,' I thought it was pretty good, first time out. The second time watching the video, and it felt like it was too long. Maybe Ice-T's part wasn't necessary, and maybe that final verse was too much. The interlude and coda were pretty good, though.

Final thought - I'm pretty new to Megadeth and think his vocals were shot by Endgame. I like that album, and Dystopia, but I think it would been great if he had his C.T.E./Youthanasia era vocals, now. It would just make Endgame, Dystopia, and this new album sound even better.

Mitternachtswolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:14 am 

I always liked his vocals and any difference with age hasn't affected that. It has always added charm to the band.

Now if you mention that dude from Voivod....yeah I can't defend that.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:45 pm 

I don't really see the problem with Ice-T's part, really. I agree it's not necessary or adding much, but it kind of makes me laugh that people still get so agitated towards a respected oldschool rapper (and metalhead!) appearing on a metal record.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Oomph! - Ice Coffin - NEW 2022 cover!
Adder's Fork - The Fatalist (A Coming Dark) - music video!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Mustaine's voice has a grit to it here....he sounds less like Popeye these days.
As for the song? Kinda digging it until Ice T rears his ugly head....ugh.

Well, that's a offputting way of describing him, kind of sickening.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next