Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:38 pm 

I'm trying to go through and get complete vinyl Discographies together for a few bands and I've come around to Dissection.

What a fucking mess.

It seems like every release has been handled by multiple labels at different times, some of them claiming to be definitive releases. Some remasters. Some with terrible artwork. Some with supposedly inferior sound. Some without an official repress in over a decade. I've even come across some claiming bootleg versions sound better.

Is anyone in the 'know' in regards to which versions to get? And how did this happen to one of the most important Black Metal bands? Sure, Jon is dead but you'd think his family/brother would have some interest in maintaining the legacy.

It's mentioned on unisounds website that there are LP remasters being done but I can't find any additional information. Or even which albums.

peber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:41 am 

I have the Black Horizon releases, I think they are good. Released by Jon. Only release worthwhile not from Black Horizon is Live Legacy.

Stay away from https://www.discogs.com/master/451800-D ... kholm-2004. Shit release, songs are cut and not complete. Official release of same show is this one https://www.discogs.com/master/234774-D ... ve-Rebirth.

Sidenote: really a shame we didn't get the Live Midsummer Massacre DVD. Can't remember why it never happened, something wrong with the audio?

Kutulu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:33 pm 

Thanks for the feedback!

There is a rehearsal of that show that exists, probably the closest we will get to it.

Don't understand how this gets made:

https://darknessshallrise.de/product/di ... 16fd43adaa

But we can't see the same for vinyl.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:16 am 

Was anyone quick enough to snag the replica gatefold lp of Storm of the Lights Bane from Nuclear War Now?
It was in stock according to their instagram for a few hours and then out of stock again.
I think i scored one but not recieved a confirmation email yet though the payment definately went through.
If any interest in getting one of these then keep an eye on their Instagram or twitter as they are getting more in.
Heard good things about this bootleg version so interested to hear it for myself.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:36 pm 

That replica bootleg is back on the NWN webshop as of this post. I don't care enough for the album to pull the trigger, especially considering I have the 2CD version put out by The End records, but figured others that post here would be interested in knowing about its availability.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:43 pm 

40 bucks US for a bootleg LP? Meh.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:

Anyone who collects vinyl knows bootlegs can be just as well produced as official releases, sometimes even better.

Some albums you can only get via bootlegs, Samhain's discography for example.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:32 pm 

Kutulu wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

Anyone who collects vinyl knows bootlegs can be just as well produced as official releases, sometimes even better.

Some albums you can only get via bootlegs, Samhain's discography for example.

No shit? Yeah I’m aware, but with the exchange rate what it is I’ll wait for an official. Whenever that happens.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:45 pm 

Not sure what the exchange rate is for Canadians but I just spent 60 bucks getting a vinyl from Red Creek so :scratch:

The only time I've spent sub 30 for an LP was local.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:38 am 

Kutulu wrote:
Not sure what the exchange rate is for Canadians but I just spent 60 bucks getting a vinyl from Red Creek so :scratch:

The only time I've spent sub 30 for an LP was local.

Exchange rate is rough right now. It’d cost me around 70-75 bucks for it CAD. I’m ok with paying 40-50, heck maybe 60 CAD pending on how much I want it, but more than that for a bootleg is hard to justify no matter how good it is. For instance I preordered the new Katharos Limited LP and it only cost me like 43 CAD after shipping. That I can live with.

I’ve spent over a 100 for vinyl before but those were for limited hand numbered Judas Iscariot Sombre Recs LPs.

I guess it’s all about how you perceive value.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:59 am 

Ah, I see. That does suck.

Most I've spent was around 250 for a Perturbator Blood-Filled.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:41 am 

The Somberlain is seeing multiple reissues (also on digipak, amongst other versions) on Season of Mist. Hell, even a pop-up edition :nono: Makes you wonder how long it'll take until labels come up with pinata versions of albums, and which band is going to be the most likely prey of such an atrocity.

Reply to topic