Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:07 pm 

Pretty much every Gothenburg melodeath band I ever heard was absolute garbage.

Also almost any extreme metal in general that's too melodic... Septicflesh's last 15 years or so, Dimmu Borgir, Batushka, Watain, it's very hard to get this stuff right and all these bands just suck to me.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Thrash, all of Brutal Death, Grind, Heavy (other than old Maiden and Priest), Doom unless it's Funeral and some Death/Doom or Drone, Groove, Nu, Most Progressive, Festival Folk, Speed, Alternative, Power

So just black metal for you then?

I kid, I kid. I'm sure there are plenty of other genres to be into, those just seem to be all of the major genres I can think of. Well, other than regular death metal obviously.

Yeah and even then, mostly atmospheric black and blackgaze and post black. Death metal has to be the classic stuff, especially OSDM, and the revival stuff on like Maggot Stomp.

Most of my listening is in electronica and shoegaze/post genres
Eh Pop is meant for money garbage to be honest. You can really tell that the mainstream society are truly obsessed with it. They can really just love the very clean vocals and all the time they don't even use guitars.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:22 pm 

I find it hard to truly "hate" any one style of music. It's a waste of energy and hard to do because there's fine material to be found just about everywhere, some areas more than others. However, my two least favorite (not hate) types of metal are thrash and black. Thrash, because I feel like it got stale the quickest out of any metal genre. Black, because not much black metal I've heard held my attention for very long and it's hard to push past the deliberately crappy recording choices that many acts make. And also, it tends to attract the worst people.

My favorite Burzum album I've heard is Dauthi Baldrs.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:49 pm 

There are, as has been said, hidden gems in every genre, even those in genres I, well, generally strongly dislike.

"Celine Dion Metal" as someone said, really doesn't do it for me either. Same with most incel-lyric goregrind crap and nazi bullshit as well; which goes without saying for most people. (As it probably should.) Though ever once in a while, very rarely, I'll discover some modern gore-grind that I kinda dig, albiet in small doses. After all, Carcass's first album "Reek of Putrefaction" was among my top favorite records, once a really long long time ago.

The whole Meshuggah math-rock thing- That's probably my least favorite as far as listenability. And any of that tough-guy open e-chord chugging tough guy "Marine Corps Metal" stuff I could live without; it appeals to a certain demographic I guess, but not me.

I'm still an old thrasher/old school death metal guy at heart, I guess.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:04 pm 

I guess there is something for me in about every subgenres. However, I tend to avoid cheesy power metal although there is some exceptions (Blind Guardian, Tad Morose, Savatage, etc). I pretty much also steer clear from grindcore, not that I have anything against it mind you, but because I don’t know anything about it.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'll never get why people like The Voice of Steel. It's super cheesy, I'd rather listen to power metal.

For me it's not even in the top 3 of their discography but it's the most loved by the fans so that's why I highlighted it.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 pm 

I'm not sure exactly what genre to classify it as, because sometimes it bridges between prog metal, symphonic/folk metal and metalcore, but the extremely poppy stuff that Nuclear Blast and Napalm shit out with bands that have up to 12 members, an extreme overuse of synths and edgy I'm-14-and-this-is-deep lyrical themes annoys the shit out of me. I used to hate straightforward metalcore but it can be and has been done very well, this style on the other hand is insufferable.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:50 pm 

I forgot to mention melodeath. The "melodic" riffs always have the most uninteresting melodies possible. What's even the point?

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:28 pm 

Nu-metal and progressive, Nu-metal includes bands that belong to other genres like limp bizkit(which i like cause of the truth about the creation of the band), most nu metal bands are dark and depressing emo wristcutting bullshit(like korn). dont even get me started on prograssive when it comes to musicians and listeners(rush? you kidding me, they just an influence)

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 pm 

Melo death in general is just shit

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:31 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
It's the non-metal/barely metal stuff for the most part, but only because said bands seem to end up at more and more metal festivals. There's no need for Slipknot or FFDP to be at Wacken. Download in the UK is and always has been full of that shite, but like Hellfest I guess it was never marketed as a metal specific festival, but even Bloodstock is more and more overrun with bands like Hatebreed, Ghost, Lorna Shore, Malevolence, Thy Art is Murder, Parkway Drive, Ice Nine Kills and bands of that ilk year on year. Would be great to have a camping metal festival in my own country I'd actually want to go to.

Nothing I love more than terminally online metalheads, upon categorical, real-life proof that their weird genre segregation windmills are a thing solely restricted to isolated online communities, instead of thinking "huh, maybe this shit is actually pretty stupid" (I must stress: every time I have explained this thing to friends who aren't metalheads, their first opinion is "wow, that sounds obnoxiously stupid for no reason", and of the quite large number of close metalhead friends I have, none of them care about this either) just immediately double down on it

Always a treat. It's like how giving people proof that their opinions are objectively wrong makes them just believe them even harder.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:56 pm 

There was a period, maybe 20 years or so ago now, where I was really into the Gothenburg melo-death stuff- At the Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, and bands of that ilk.

I got tired of it pretty quickly though. It just all started sounding the same after a while, too many copycat bands, and then a ton of generic tough-guy-bro metalcore bands started taking influence from that sound and basically, lamed it up even worse.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:25 pm 

Vadara wrote:
It's the non-metal/barely metal stuff for the most part, but only because said bands seem to end up at more and more metal festivals. There's no need for Slipknot or FFDP to be at Wacken. Download in the UK is and always has been full of that shite, but like Hellfest I guess it was never marketed as a metal specific festival, but even Bloodstock is more and more overrun with bands like Hatebreed, Ghost, Lorna Shore, Malevolence, Thy Art is Murder, Parkway Drive, Ice Nine Kills and bands of that ilk year on year. Would be great to have a camping metal festival in my own country I'd actually want to go to.

Nothing I love more than terminally online metalheads, upon categorical, real-life proof that their weird genre segregation windmills are a thing solely restricted to isolated online communities, instead of thinking "huh, maybe this shit is actually pretty stupid" (I must stress: every time I have explained this thing to friends who aren't metalheads, their first opinion is "wow, that sounds obnoxiously stupid for no reason", and of the quite large number of close metalhead friends I have, none of them care about this either) just immediately double down on it

Always a treat. It's like how giving people proof that their opinions are objectively wrong makes them just believe them even harder.

Nah, he's being totally reasonable. If you go to a metal fest, you shouldn't be subjected to mallcore and chugcore bands. It's moronic to lump it in with everything else because it's "heavy".

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:58 pm 

Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but "mallcore" is a term that should have died in the early 2000s and stayed there. It baffles me that some still haven't grown past that. I mean, I did. And it hasn't been that long.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:16 am 

I'm not bothered by the term, I think it's funny. But I guess I didn't have object permanence yet in the early 2000s, so it's a lot less burnt out for me.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 am 

even Bloodstock is more and more overrun with bands like Hatebreed, Ghost, Lorna Shore, Malevolence, Thy Art is Murder, Parkway Drive, Ice Nine Kills and bands of that ilk year on year.

Why's Ghost lumped in with those bands?

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:24 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but "mallcore" is a term that should have died in the early 2000s and stayed there. It baffles me that some still haven't grown past that. I mean, I did. And it hasn't been that long.

I just hate the "real" name of the genre to the point I'd prefer to not call it that because it's so dubious and inaccurate.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:26 am 

I've yet to come across any Power Metal that I truly enjoy, I'm afraid to say.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:10 am 

Smalley wrote:

Which bands have you heard?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:13 am 

Southern metal or whatever it's called...Well, I do not hate it per se, just I don't feel absolutely none connection with it...I just don't get it nor feel it!

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:58 am 

colin040 wrote:
Smalley wrote:

Which bands have you heard?
Helloween, Blind Guardian, Kamelot... it's just not my thing.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:23 am 

I find it hard to sit through an entire Brutal Death metal or Slam album.

Having said that, I really love seeing those bands perform live.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am 

Heavy/traditional metal made after the 1980s. It feels really dated and also because nobody gives a shit about that style anymore. It’s kind of embarrassing honestly.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:11 am 

jimbies wrote:
I find it hard to sit through an entire Brutal Death metal or Slam album.

Having said that, I really love seeing those bands perform live.

i cant say i HATE any genre of metal, but BDM and slam are the closest i come. i dont understand it, at all. i cant comprehend what anyone gets out of it. i cant even say i like these bands live because theyre frequently just as unintelligible live as they are on record, and rarely put on an energetic enough performance to make up for it.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:53 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Black and death metal. They're strangling the landscape, intent on forcing themselves into everything. Fuck that. I'm not going to "learn to like" you--I'm just going to get my fix in some other genre, like punk.

I'm sorry but it seems you have some personal vendetta against extreme metal, as it's not the first time you voiced your distaste for black / death metal in such enthusiastic manner. Fair enough, of course, the heart wants what the heart wants, but it's ludicrous to think these two peculiar genres (that have done more to keep metal relevant than any other, but that's a tale for another time) are "strangling the landscape and forcing themselves into everything". How is that even possible, I wonder...
Also, punk is so different from both black and death metal, just as black and death metal can be worlds apart, it's just...

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:19 am 

I know I'm in the minority but I can't listen to black metal at all, not even a little.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Pretty much every Gothenburg melodeath band I ever heard was absolute garbage.

I'm deep into other Swedish music, so it's funny how irritating it can be.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:56 pm 

Smalley wrote:

That's not a very large or even representative sample...

pentium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 pm 

Crossover Thrash. Especially the revival stuff. There are some very rare exceptions (of old and new) but in general I can't stand it.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Smalley wrote:

That's not a very large or even representative sample...
Not "representative"? Those are literally three of the biggest/oldest/most influential bands in the genre...

ThStealthK wrote:

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:19 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 am 

Oh god, yeah, the bouncy folk stuff like Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, etc is just so awful.

The happy PM can be great if you got solid enough riffs and choruses that aren't annoying. But everyone's mileage will vary on that. It's a polar extreme to some other kinds of metal.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:43 am 

Funeral Doom

Boring, overly long. Who cares about atmosphere when your songs are 15-20+long? Its a chore to get through and thank god its a style of metal I haven't revisited in over a decade

Most Prog metal as well the production and riffs just dont really do it for me

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:13 am 

- Drone "Metal" - This shit isn't metal. It has little to no music happening let alone being a "metal" genre. You've got almost half an hour of "music" that there's nothing just "Brrrrrrrrrrrr" all the way. WHERE'S THE MUSIC? WHERE'S THE SO-CALLED METAL???

- Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal - This is the reason why Death Metal is more superior to Black Metal. I name it Bathtub Metal. It's some jackass screaming in the bathtub with three chords apart but hey, I'm supposed to believe that this is METAL???

- Funeral Doom - Slow, plodding, no energy, no metal.

- Ambient - Why the fuck this shit is here? This crap belongs in souvenir stores where they sell CDs of nature that nobody buys. Why the hell many black metal "musicians" resort to this? Are you that lazy?

- Some Black Metal - I'm REALLY losing interest in Black Metal, as a whole. That said, I still listen to the genre but not as much as I used to. I'm kinda growing out of it and I'm preferring genres that have more energy like heavy, power, thrash, death etc... I like the Venom/early Kat kinda black metal that has some speed metal in them. Those have energy unlike many of the 2nd wave. There are many bedroom black metal that are completely useless.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:28 pm 

I really can't get into groove, djent, nu-metal, or metalcore stuff.

There are a few subgenres that I'm generally indifferent towards (power, prog, thrash, speed) but can still find something to like about... but I genuinely dislike those that I've listed.

I actually heard their albums are just field recordings of penguin colonies slowed down 99%

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:55 pm 

Djent is the worst, by far. Nu metal has good bands, that actually put effort into their music. Groove can be okay(if they’re not confederate battle flag waving illiterates), metalcore, if it’s not scene kid pop, or douche gang/crew HxCx. European pop music “gamer” power metal deserves to get shoved into a locker by jocks, but Djent is an abomination.

What is it again? Progressive? Uhh…yeah, uhh, song structures, or something. Technical? At least tech death is actual music. Primitive, heavy stuff? Lol, no.

It’s just the most boring music ever! Seriously, it’s just calculated to be as lame as fucking possible! It is anti-life. It’s a bunch of nerds being “ironic.” Whereas, a lot of “tough guy” metal seeks to break out of one’s situation, by becoming powerful, and originates, as a reaction, to being victimized, djent is slave morality. NSBM is slave morality, but it’s effective as propaganda, because it hides it. Djent is just the lamest people, being lame, unfunny, unentertaining, and making stuff that is an affront, to music.

If metal is about nerd shit, it’s about reading fantasy books, and getting inspired to lift weights, to study the blade. It’s about reading occultism, to power up, to the next level, rather than servitude, to cults of weakness. Manowar is cringey, but, they once made good shit, and they have the right attitude, towards life. Djent can’t say any of that. Because the nerd shit they’re into, is math, and “meme” anti-culture. I’ve read before, that it’s supposed to be the first metal style, that was ‘born on the internet.’ But that’s literal! Because other newer scenes and trends, were made by people that have friends, because they go outside! Make fun of D&D worshipping bands all you want, at least playing dungeons and dragons requires you to actually have friends.

Metal is primitive, barbaric music. Even if the musicians aren’t violent, it’s desires/intentions are. Even the Emo sad stuff is. My Dying Bride and Type O Negative are about sadness, which is a real, powerful emotion, not “lol, memes.” Post metal may get a lot of shit, for not being “tough,” or hyper masculine enough, or whatever, but it’s real metal,because it’s made with passion. Metal is supposed to be heroic music, not a fucking joke.

Not once, have I met anyone, who was into djent, who was actually cool. Wait a minute…I’ve never met anyone into it, ever. I don’t care about Misha Mansour’s Instagram posts of status symbol money worship bullshit. I don’t want to hear about how it’s “innovative.” It’s an evolutionary dead end. It’s lame, it’s unlistenable, it’s not the fucking future of metal! It’s like a Tarantino film, the boredom, of hipster art avant-garde shit, mixed with the stupidity of lowbrow knuckle dragger shit. The worst of both worlds.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:11 pm 

I dunno... hating something I can choose to not engage with seems like a waste of attention and energy to me.
That said there's elements of metal culture that I absolutely and utterly loathe.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:36 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Djent is the worst, by far. Nu metal has good bands, that actually put effort into their music. Groove can be okay(if they’re not confederate battle flag waving illiterates), metalcore, if it’s not scene kid pop, or douche gang/crew HxCx. European pop music “gamer” power metal deserves to get shoved into a locker by jocks, but Djent is an abomination.

What is it again? Progressive? Uhh…yeah, uhh, song structures, or something. Technical? At least tech death is actual music. Primitive, heavy stuff? Lol, no.

It’s just the most boring music ever! Seriously, it’s just calculated to be as lame as fucking possible! It is anti-life. It’s a bunch of nerds being “ironic.” Whereas, a lot of “tough guy” metal seeks to break out of one’s situation, by becoming powerful, and originates, as a reaction, to being victimized, djent is slave morality. NSBM is slave morality, but it’s effective as propaganda, because it hides it. Djent is just the lamest people, being lame, unfunny, unentertaining, and making stuff that is an affront, to music.

If metal is about nerd shit, it’s about reading fantasy books, and getting inspired to lift weights, to study the blade. It’s about reading occultism, to power up, to the next level, rather than servitude, to cults of weakness. Manowar is cringey, but, they once made good shit, and they have the right attitude, towards life. Djent can’t say any of that. Because the nerd shit they’re into, is math, and “meme” anti-culture. I’ve read before, that it’s supposed to be the first metal style, that was ‘born on the internet.’ But that’s literal! Because other newer scenes and trends, were made by people that have friends, because they go outside! Make fun of D&D worshipping bands all you want, at least playing dungeons and dragons requires you to actually have friends.

Metal is primitive, barbaric music. Even if the musicians aren’t violent, it’s desires/intentions are. Even the Emo sad stuff is. My Dying Bride and Type O Negative are about sadness, which is a real, powerful emotion, not “lol, memes.” Post metal may get a lot of shit, for not being “tough,” or hyper masculine enough, or whatever, but it’s real metal,because it’s made with passion. Metal is supposed to be heroic music, not a fucking joke.

Not once, have I met anyone, who was into djent, who was actually cool. Wait a minute…I’ve never met anyone into it, ever. I don’t care about Misha Mansour’s Instagram posts of status symbol money worship bullshit. I don’t want to hear about how it’s “innovative.” It’s an evolutionary dead end. It’s lame, it’s unlistenable, it’s not the fucking future of metal! It’s like a Tarantino film, the boredom, of hipster art avant-garde shit, mixed with the stupidity of lowbrow knuckle dragger shit. The worst of both worlds.

I don't like djent either but this is just a bunch nonsense.

This one is kind of cool though.

Also, since when is Tarantino hipster art avant-garde shit? Have you ever watched a Tarentino movie? I can't think of a filmmaker that is further removed from avantgarde than Tarantino.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:02 pm 

I really hate NY scene of core
Biohazard, Life of Agony, Sick of it All - this kind
ALL OF THEM!

There are many genres I don't find it interesting for me, but the one above is a proper and cold hate.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:04 pm 

Yeah I usually don't like djent either, especially when it gets mixed with metalcore. But I do enjoy bands like Vildhjarta, I come back to Måsstaden all the time. It's interesting, heavy, and atmospheric, what's not to like?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next