Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:41 am 

What are some great albums that nobody really talks about?

Whilst thinking about Cult Of Luna 'Salvation' it dawned on me that while the album is often praised, well received and seen as a cornerstone of their career, it's one album that not very often is mentioned when talking about great albums or recommendations.

Any other albums that fit this weird senario?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:49 am 

I don't know how I came across Light Field Reverie and their 2020 debut Another World but I do know I haven't seen anyone talk about this absolute atmospheric gem of an album. The band consists of Sojourner members and Heike from Draconian fame. It doesn't seem to be their main gig, but damn this thing seems to have flown past people. Check em out if you can.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:21 am 

In The Woods - Omnio

One of the best records to arise out of the 90s Norwegian black metal scene. No, this album is not black metal...it's a retro-sounding prog album totally out of leftfield, and features some of the greatest songwriting of the decade.
Imagine a mellower, wiser Primordial...

CreepingDeath16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 am 

So kind of like underrated albums, but more underrated?

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:50 am 

Top-tier tech-thrash with EUPM elements. Basically Watchtower meets Forbidden meets Maiden meets Blind Guardian meets Virgin Steele, all on a thousand steroids. I've written a review on it, you have more info there.

I hope not

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 am 

The Angelic Process - Weighing souls with sand

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:38 am 

Kreator - Endless Pain
Phobia!

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:27 pm 

I’m gonna interpret this thread as like an “overlooked” albums rather than underrated.

Holocaust - The Sound of Souls (fantastic technical Thrash/Speed/Heavy with Voivod influence)
Holocaust - Covenant (very similar to the above but longer songs and less Thrash but slight Doom influences)
Agressor - Neverending Destiny (Death/Thrash with blistering speed throughout. Riffs take slight Destruction influence in addition to the more extreme riff style the genre usually uses)
Invocator - Excursions Demise (Technical Death/Thrash that is also extremely fast throughout. Great vocals which actually add to the album)
Necrodeath - Fragments of Insanity (Death/Thrash with Kreator esque vocals. TONS of riffs which vary from blistering to mid paced.

Can you tell Extreme Thrash is my shit? haha

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:47 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
In The Woods - Omnio

One of the best records to arise out of the 90s Norwegian black metal scene.

It is bizarre how few people talk about that record these days because:
a) It is perfect, and one of the best metal albums of all time.
b) It was well known and well celebrated when it came out (at least in the metal underground)

For some reason people remember the much less interesting Green Carnation and forget about the originators.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:12 pm 

I think maybe Gorement's 'The Ending Quest' and God Macabre's 'The Winterlong' are two that come to mind.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:26 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
I think maybe Gorement's 'The Ending Quest' and God Macabre's 'The Winterlong' are two that come to mind.

Gorement especially! You all also need to stop sleeping on Astrofaes's debut, as it's some brilliant Ukrainian black metal.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:03 pm 

Trouble - Manic Frustration
This is a masterpiece, IMO, and easily the best album by this fantastic band. I suppose it garners little attention due to how unique it is in comparison to the rest of their catalogue, but its uniqueness is what draws me to it. Easily the best album of 1992, IMO, and one that should have catapulted them to stardom. They should have rode this massive album to the opening slot on Metallica's Black Album tour, or in support of Ozzy's "No More Tours", or, perhaps even, co-headlining with an Alice in Chains or Soundgarden who were blowing up at the time. Should appeal to fans of all types of metal and hardrock.
it's that good.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:12 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
So kind of like underrated albums, but more underrated?

It's a little different, because people might talk about an album a lot even if it's underrated, and even a highly underrated album isn't necessarily a great album.

My vote is for Infernal Majesty's None Shall Defy. Yeah, people do talk about it a bit, but not nearly as much as other 80s thrash classics. None Shall Defy, however, is just a notch above almost everything else for me. Great hooks, intricate (but not overbearing) guitar work, terrific songwriting, and a level of extremity that at times almost makes it feel like blackened thrash. Hard to believe it came out in 1987. Probably my favorite thrash album of all time.

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:17 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Gemini 7 Rising wrote:

Gorement especially! You all also need to stop sleeping on Astrofaes's debut, as it's some brilliant Ukrainian black metal.

Personally I like more The Winterlong than The ending quest. And Im not sure about these two récords are overlooked, I mean anyone who likes old school death metal, has both albums in high steem, even The Ending Quest has a, high percentage here in metal review. Maybe both bands do not have the same impact as Dismember, Entombed, Grave, etc. And thats because they only released one LP and disappeared without a trace.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:33 pm 

Suppression - The Sorrow of Soul Through Flesh

Surprised more people aren't talking about this album. Ripping, ferocious death metal in the old school vein.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:58 pm 

Burton78 wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Gemini 7 Rising wrote:

Personally I like more The Winterlong than The ending quest. And Im not sure about these two récords are overlooked, I mean anyone who likes old school death metal, has both albums in high steem, even The Ending Quest has a, high percentage here in metal review. Maybe both bands do not have the same impact as Dismember, Entombed, Grave, etc. And thats because they only released one LP and disappeared without a trace.

I think 'The Ending Quest' was "re-released" and discovered by more people too. If you look, 7 of its 11 reviews were written within the last 5 years and that album came out in 1994. So maybe it's not as overlooked as it used to be, but yeah, nothing near the recognition of albums by Dismember, Entombed, Grave, etc. (which makes sense because they only have that one release).

And I'm with you- between the two, I think I like 'The Winterlong' more. But they're both pretty solid.

*I'll definitely check out Astrofaes. I'd never heard of them before your mention.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm 

I really think that first Gathering album Always is immensely underrated, ive always had quite a love for that one

Perhaps.

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15 am 

Lotta these are ones I see talked about all the time! Maybe y'all are just in the wrong communities- especially stuff like Gorement, God Macabre, Necrodeath, etc., are total stone cold classics.

Some of my picks to be made fun of for actually being super popular in your communties-

Diabolical Messiah - Demonic Weapons Against the Sacred. Really catchy death metal from Chile with really cool mid-'90s Morbid Angel-y longform tremolo melodies and absolutely savage drumming. Was released on CD by Dark Descent but basically vanished into the void right after release like most stuff from South America seems to. Definitely a modern favorite- sort of like a MUCH faster version of the similar-underrated (though better known) Domains from Spain.

Amorbital - Invidia. Great Slovak melodic death in the same school as Mi'Gauss / Arghoslent / etc. but perhaps with a bit more In Flames to it, like if Intestine Baalism tried their hands at bouncy death metal.

Ghost Story - The Image and the Reality. To my ears one of the absolute finest USPM demos out there. Some super deep-divers dig it but I don't think I've ever seen it brought up without me being the one that brought it up, with the exception of a couple really cool RYM lists that have it on there. I was able to get an original copy on tape for shockingly cheap on Ebay a few years ago. Tried to organize a reissue or a full demo compilation a while back and the band wasn't into the idea unfortunately so I suspect the band will continue to go unknown.

Bewitched - Dragonflight. Chilean heavy metal with a really pleasant and surprising blend of Mercyful Fate style unhinged stuff, Candlemass-esque epic doom, and early black metal that works way better than it should. Even a reissue from Iron Bonehead didn't seem to do anything to increase their profile.

Funeral Revolt - Burial. Outside of the person who recommended them to me and people I've recommended them to, this absolutely perfect Hellenic death metal release from the early '90s gets no love whatsoever. A really cool mixture of extreme thrash and the sort of stuff Septic Flesh and Horrified were doing at the time that stands out stylistically somewhat from many of their peers without losing that sweet Greek touch.
Guitars for Drawn and Quartered, death metal on Krucyator Productions.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm 

Two female fronted doom bands that I love:

Subrosa, specifically "More Constant than the Gods" album is a masterpiece for me...probably one of my favorite albums. The two violins bring a wall of sound that compliments the other instrumentation perfectly.

Recent album that was just released in 2021 that I don't see talked about at all - The Answer Lies in the Black Void's "Forlorn". The vocals are provided by Martina Horvath who sings on Thy Catafalque's albums and gives her a much deserved spotlight. It goes beyond doom, as there are elements of jazz and electronica, it almost enters the realm of avant-garde.

Enochian Crescent - Black Church
Eerie vocals, strong production with great guitar riffs. There's just an overall unsettling atmosphere to this album I can't put my finger on, but that I also love. It could be because it was released back in 2006, but I don't seem to see anyone bring this album up.

Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter II: Render unto Eden
One of my favorite releases in the last 5 years. Not a single review in MA and rarely do I see conversation about the band or this album (may have just missed it).

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Funeral Revolt - Burial.

Interesting, nice recommendation. Never heard this before. I might look into reviewing some of this band's stuff now.
My similarly obscure recommendation along such lines would be the two Cyanotic demos, both of which push the melodic/proggy death metal thing into interesting territory (unfortunately their album is less impressive).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YB-zD98P-s

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:44 pm 

Pist.On - Number One

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:01 pm 

robotiq wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:
Funeral Revolt - Burial.

Interesting, nice recommendation. Never heard this before. I might look into reviewing some of this band's stuff now.
My similarly obscure recommendation along such lines would be the two Cyanotic demos, both of which push the melodic/proggy death metal thing into interesting territory (unfortunately their album is less impressive).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YB-zD98P-s

https://toiletovhell.com/an-introductio ... ath-metal/

If you're digging that, try some of the other bands in this article I co-wrote with a buddy on that scene. It was really deep and full of great high-quality bands that largely just get completely ignored. Even more stuff outside the article, too!

Cyanotic's demos slay, agreed completely.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:46 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:

Dude Gorement's album has 11 reviews and is at an average of 98%. It's the exact opposite of underrated/overlooked.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:38 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Diabolical Messiah - Demonic Weapons Against the Sacred. Really catchy death metal from Chile with really cool mid-'90s Morbid Angel-y longform tremolo melodies and absolutely savage drumming. Was released on CD by Dark Descent but basically vanished into the void right after release like most stuff from South America seems to. Definitely a modern favorite- sort of like a MUCH faster version of the similar-underrated (though better known) Domains from Spain.

Maybe I need to revisit this one, but I wasn't blown away by it when I heard it a couple years ago. Some of the riffs were good as you mentioned, but overall the songs were nothing special to me. The band definitely seemed to have potential, however.

Another album I thought of is Destruktor's Opprobrium. Awesome black-death with a lot of variation and great songwriting. At first listen it seems a bit simple, but the album as a whole has only become more and more enjoyable since I first heard it upon its release in 2015. It's one of those records where everything complements everything else, making it far more than the sum of its parts. And yet, nobody seems to talk about the album or the band in general.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:01 am 

Itheus wrote:
Two female fronted doom bands that I love:

Subrosa, specifically "More Constant than the Gods" album is a masterpiece for me...probably one of my favorite albums. The two violins bring a wall of sound that compliments the other instrumentation perfectly.

Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter II: Render unto Eden
One of my favorite releases in the last 5 years. Not a single review in MA and rarely do I see conversation about the band or this album (may have just missed it).

SubRosa is awesome, and Panzerfaust have really hit their stride over the last few years. The last few records are phenomenal, and The Astral Drain is again strong as hell.

I'm gonna chime in with Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A. - one of the most unique but entertaining spacey black metal records ever made. It's like an intergalactic community, like Mass Effect, but....black metal. Was my top release of the 2010s in the poll a few years back.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:20 am 

Crystal Eyes's first three records (especially the debut) are great examples of power metal done excellently with riffs, solos, and all, but for whatever reason the band really never took off and still aren't that popular despite continuing on to make some pretty solid records, even if they aren't quite as good.

I just noticed someone wrote a review for Lacrimas Profundere's Memorandum (the first review since 2008), an album which I consider to be a great example of that melodic death/doom sound, but it never gets talked about at all. I don't care much for the band's later material but it is a shame that even their earlier stuff doesn't get much traction either.

Carcariass also has some pretty damn good albums (Sideral Torment being my favorite) that never get talked about. It's this kind of shreddy melodeath that gets the balance right, though I would say some of the songs are kind of samey. Still a shame they don't get more credit.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:01 am 

I feel like a broken record bringing this band up yet again, but I have to say Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata.

I saw them open for Belphegor back in 2008, had never heard of them, and they completely blew me away. I've been a huge fan of them and that album in particular ever since. I just find their song writing so interesting and if I were going to show someone a black metal album that keeps to the "traditional" second wave black metal formula but uses it brilliantly in a non-reductive way, this would be my pick. Great vocals, great riffs, intense atmosphere, intricate song writing, and great aesthetics. I couldn't want more from a black metal band and if I could pick one band to resurrect from the broken-up realm, it would be this one.

Okay, I'm done fan-girling.

Star_Fox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:44 pm 

Dad's got a big CD collection going back to when he was younger than I am now. I've listened to his copies of Rocks and Toys in the Attic, by Aerosmith, back-to-back. Fantastic albums, often forgotten (I think) because a lot of people percieve Aerosmith to be an '80s and '90s band. Especially because of that Armageddon movie soundtrack.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:32 pm 

Star_Fox wrote:
Dad's got a big CD collection going back to when he was younger than I am now. I've listened to his copies of Rocks and Toys in the Attic, by Aerosmith, back-to-back. Fantastic albums, often forgotten (I think) because a lot of people percieve Aerosmith to be an '80s and '90s band. Especially because of that Armageddon movie soundtrack.

https://www.metal-archives.com/search?s ... =band_name

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:53 pm 

Meliah Rage's debut is criminally unspoken of regarding classic 80's power / thrash. This might be because as a band they've been mostly mediocre at best à la Flotsam and Jetsam after their first two albums. But if you dig the early work from Metallica or Exodus with a side order of traditional and classic power metal, "Kill to Survive" is a choice you won't regret.

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:44 pm 

Lord Bane - Age of Elegance

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/L ... gance/4755

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:29 pm 

Do the two Angel Witch albums with singer Dave Tattum (Screamin' 'n' Bleedin' and Frontal Assault) count? I hardly ever hear them being discussed. I think they're actually pretty great and very underrated, especially the former.

They're not as iconic as the debut, but I do think that Dave Tattum is a technically superior singer to Kevin Heybourne. I'm probably in the minority on this, but Tattum seems to have had some proper vocal training and has a deep and smoothly satisfying voice. "Who's to Blame" is an awesome song.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:02 am 

Star_Fox wrote:
lot of people percieve Aerosmith to be an '80s and '90s band.

Amazing, if true. They have always been one of the few bands that truly defines the 70s (!). They were barely passable in the 80s and were utter shite in the 90s. But in the 70s? An amazing band that nearly sat on the mighty Zep's throne.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:44 am 

Prowler in the Yard is one of the best grindcore albums ever, and Pig Destroyer might be the most popular grindcore band besides Napalm Death themselves, yet I've never really seen much discussion about them. I've been listening to a lot of grindcore lately and they're the crown jewel of my playlist.

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:17 am 

Atrocity's 'Longing for death', the band's sophomore, a grand opus of uniquely crafted death metal of the highest caliber seems to dwell in the shadows for so many years that it makes me often wonder...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:16 am 

Sekrys wrote:
Crystal Eyes's first three records (especially the debut) are great examples of power metal done excellently with riffs, solos, and all, but for whatever reason the band really never took off and still aren't that popular despite continuing on to make some pretty solid records, even if they aren't quite as good.

I actually think their whole discography was solid. Chained was always my favorite one. Awesome hard hitting metal with a bit of rock flair for more style. I ought to play them again.

Ashes to Ashes - Cardinal VII is some amazing power metal with a gothy, doomy touch. Never really heard much like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxQO6hwec20

Crossbones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:10 pm 

Iron Maiden's 'Somewhere in Time', to the point where even the band themselves don't want to acknowledge it exists.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:25 pm 

^^^ That was the first Iron Maiden I ever heard. And I hated Maiden when I first heard them. But that album has grown on me to the point that I consider it one of my favorite albums by any band.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:45 am 

Crossbones wrote:
Iron Maiden's 'Somewhere in Time', to the point where even the band themselves don't want to acknowledge it exists.

You can buy that album at department stores. I've seen them perform songs from it. People talk about this album all the time, what the fuck rock do you live under?

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:47 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Prowler in the Yard is one of the best grindcore albums ever, and Pig Destroyer might be the most popular grindcore band besides Napalm Death themselves, yet I've never really seen much discussion about them. I've been listening to a lot of grindcore lately and they're the crown jewel of my playlist.

If it makes you feel better that's their most popular album and I'm shocked to hear anyone doesn't have it shoved down their throat constantly. I see it talked about all the time.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next