Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal_Lexicon
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:34 am
Posts: 9
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:39 pm 
 

With bands such as Sabaton & Powerwolf leading the way, amassing millions of monthly listeners on streaming platforms, headlining major festivals and each having arena based tours around Europe. Who'd have ever thought a Power Metal band could generate that kind of interest? Helloween's latest album reaching number 1 spot on album charts across various countries. And then with the influx of theatrical/ fantasy themed PM bands gaining more and more traction, all of which yielding strong numbers on Youtube, are we in somewhat of a Power Metal resurgence right now?

I made a video on the very subject if anyone's interested, would love to hear you guy's thoughts...

_________________
Metal Health Youtube Channel

Top
 Profile  
Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:16 pm
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:44 pm 
 

Would love to see power metal rule the charts. The positive, family friendly tales of heroic, noble warriors and elves can only be a step in the right direction

Top
 Profile  
yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am
Posts: 325
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:35 pm 
 

I don't know too much, but I'd say so far it's been relatively popular in Japan, especially with X Japan having such success, the music being featured in anime (eg. Galneryus in HunterxHunter and Linked Horizon in AOT), and the fact that 23% of Japanese bands in the Metal Archives belong in the genre (only Monaco surpasses this, a microstate with only five bands, one of which is still active and coincidentally also plays power metal). South Korea's pm scene isn't nearly as significant, but you gotta appreciate the fact that Emerald Sword made it to a baseball game:

Spoiler: show



I think power metal is more popular nowadays mostly due to the Internet, where even the most obscure music genres have a good following. But I don't think it'll become bigger than it is now, because much of the appeal in the genre is due to its usage of gimmicks, something that may turn others off. Especially if we're talking about the United States, where its style of pm is more aggressive and hasn't become as successful as the European style.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3489
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:24 am 
 

Globally, this could be the case. But at least from my vantage point in the US, it's still very much underground. It was probably briefly more popular in the mid-00s when Guitar Hero was a big deal, Dragonforce had a playable song for it, and the Nightwish iceberg briefly peeked out. Since then, mostly crickets here.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8692
Location: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:19 am 
 

I mean… possibly? The biggest sellers in power metal will still be, perhaps, the original Keepers albums back when Helloween were even outselling Maiden in certain territories (does power metal have any multi-million sellers?) Also, by that metric, record sales were obviously bigger in the 90s when PM did great business in parts of Europe and Japan. But the size of a band is different now and Sabaton can do well everywhere, the genre fits in well with what I call “Netflix metal”. Furthermore, the “mainstream mentality” is simply more accepted in power metal and often the people at power metal gigs are a completely different crowd to those you’d see at, say, a Saxon gig or those death metal stalwarts you went to see on a Tuesday night.

I went to see an up and coming power metal band in a local venue here, and I was baffled by the fact that I’d never seen any of them at other metal gigs and that they’d sold out a 200+ venue with a non-local crowd. It’s a different world is power metal: I feel like the fans are -pardon the expression - somewhat of a different breed to those you meet at an Immolation or even, say, a Slough Feg gig.
_________________
Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash


https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1387
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:24 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Globally, this could be the case. But at least from my vantage point in the US, it's still very much underground. It was probably briefly more popular in the mid-00s when Guitar Hero was a big deal, Dragonforce had a playable song for it, and the Nightwish iceberg briefly peeked out. Since then, mostly crickets here.


this.
It's seemingly a complete non-factor in the states.

Top
 Profile  
Ludorff
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:38 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 am 
 

Living in Quebec. I'd say that Power Metal is less popular than it was in the 2000s. Sure, a band like Sabaton can attract a good crowd, and all the classic bands like Blind Guardian or Helloween have their fans. But I don't see much interest in modern PM among the metalheads I talk to. Strictly speaking about newer bands, I'd say that cavernous death/black metal acts get more attention... Might be wrong though. Technical Death Metal is also doing well. Always been a good scene for this genre around here. Is there a new, younger generation, discovering metal with Sabaton ? Maybe.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 32320
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:51 am 
 

It seems like the really big bands like Avantasia, Sabaton, etc do very well outside the U.S., but many of the best bands are still pretty underground and niche. It's a fandom that some people really geek out on like a lot of stuff.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1843
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:19 pm 
 

Power metal has always been popular in Europe so that's not really a new thing, bands like Helloween and Blind Guardian have been headlining the big festivals and selling out shows for decades now. Even newer Europower acts like Beast In Black and Wind Rose are gaining a lot of popularity there. Obviously the big bands like Sabaton are big enough to sell out arenas as well.

In North America I don't think much has changed. Outside of the big names people don't really talk that much about power metal and I don't think it really gets that much attention from metal publications, media etc. There is somewhat of a trend of newer bands adopting the Europower sound, like Unleash the Archers for example, but most of those bands probably have much bigger fanbases in Europe and Japan than they do in North America.

The USPM style was never particularly popular after the 1980s so not much has changed there. The newer bands adopting the sound sort of got folded into the whole NWOTHM movement (I'm thinking of bands like Visigoth here) and have gotten a fair amount of attention, moreso than USPM did in the 1990s or 2000s, but it's still a fairly small (but hopefully growing) niche.

Top
 Profile  
Type VIIC
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:54 am
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:16 pm 
 

Last time I saw Hammerfall (2019) maybe 30 people showed up.

20+ years of hard word achieved nothing in the States.

Top
 Profile  
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 am
Posts: 437
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:55 pm 
 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I don't know too much, but I'd say so far it's been relatively popular in Japan, especially with X Japan having such success, the music being featured in anime (eg. Galneryus in HunterxHunter and Linked Horizon in AOT), and the fact that 23% of Japanese bands in the Metal Archives belong in the genre (only Monaco surpasses this, a microstate with only five bands, one of which is still active and coincidentally also plays power metal).

But why is power metal normie music in Japan?
_________________
recyclage wrote:
When a labeling of music gets stucked in the past, than germans are still nazi

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 3489
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:04 pm 
 

Ludorff wrote:
Living in Quebec. I'd say that Power Metal is less popular than it was in the 2000s. Sure, a band like Sabaton can attract a good crowd, and all the classic bands like Blind Guardian or Helloween have their fans. But I don't see much interest in modern PM among the metalheads I talk to. Strictly speaking about newer bands, I'd say that cavernous death/black metal acts get more attention... Might be wrong though. Technical Death Metal is also doing well. Always been a good scene for this genre around here. Is there a new, younger generation, discovering metal with Sabaton ? Maybe.


The problem is what we're comparing to in terms of popularity. Here, the average person has no idea who Sabaton is. A person super into obscure death and black metal probably knows who they are, but may not necessarily listen to them. Those may be the people you hang around, but they aren't typical. And cavernous death is even more niche. This is a forum where most people are going to be more familiar with those acts, but that doesn't mean that normal people or even casual metal fans know them. For example, Portal has 9k monthly Spotify listeners. Cruciamentum has 1k. Incantation has 23k. Tech death isn't much better. Obscura has 49k. Inferi has 26k. Archspire has 109k. By contrast, Sabaton has 2.5 million. Powerwolf 1.3 million. Battle Beast 764k. Beast In Black 1.1 million. So modern power metal has exponentially more, cavernous and tech death are a drop in the bucket. But even then, power metal is small potatoes compared to mega pop and rap stars. Drake is 63 million. Taylor Swift is 57 million. Imagine Dragons is 52 million.


Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 5415
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:12 pm 
 

Considering its continued popularity i'm surprised by the relative lack of mainstream attention that the currently popular PM bands get over here. If there is something in the media on metal it is much more likely to be a black metal band than a random power metal band. Nightwish got some attention in the Netherlands after the current singer started appearing in this Dutch TV show but that was it. A band like Doodswens seemingly appears as much in Dutch media as a band like Sabaton even though the latter are a billion times more popular.

Top
 Profile  
Ludorff
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:38 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:11 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
...A person super into obscure death and black metal probably knows who they are, but may not necessarily listen to them. Those may be the people you hang around, but they aren't typical. And cavernous death is even more niche. This is a forum where most people are going to be more familiar with those acts, but that doesn't mean that normal people or even casual metal fans knows them. For example, Portal has 9k monthly Spotify listeners. Cruciamentum has 1k. Incantation has 23k. Tech death isn't much better. Obscura has 49k. Inferi has 26k. Archspire has 109k. By contrast, Sabaton has 2.5 million. Powerwolf 1.3 million. Battle Beast 764k. Beast In Black 1.1 million. So modern power metal has exponentially more, cavernous and tech death are a drop in the bucket. But even then, power metal is small potatoes compared to mega pop and rap stars. Drake is 63 million. Taylor Swift is 57 million. Imagine Dragons is 52 million.


Yeah I totally get your point. I think the most popular PM bands reach a very large audience. By "cavernous" I did not mean any specific subgenre. Just pointing out that a lot of people listen to underground death and black metal bands. And there's so many of them! I didn't know that cavernous is a genre, haha.
But yeah I see way more attention given to extreme metal in North America.

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 1725
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:38 pm 
 

It'd be cool, but I wish it was Blind Guardian and Rhapsody leading the scene rather than Sabaton and Powerwolf.
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Ragemanistan
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:20 pm
Posts: 50
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:24 pm 
 

I know that people may hate me for saying this but Babymetal opened up Metal to many people over the last 10 years that didn't give a shit about any form of heavy music. As some of them started branching out, Power Metal would be the logical benefactor to receive a slight boost because they have singers, not vocalists. That's the closest connection to their previous musical interest. My 30 year old "hippy" neighbor only listens to Folk Music, mostly local, and Babymetal. My best friend lives next to her and her 15 year old daughter listens to Pop, Babymetal, Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica. She never listened to Metal until after seeing Babymetal on YouTube and my friend asked me for suggestions for a then 13 year old girl. So I threw her a list of 10 bands with non-assaultive lyrics, mostly Power Metal, and those were the two bands she liked.

Top
 Profile  
metroplex
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Peru
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:22 pm 
 

I still can't comprehend how a generic af band like Sabaton became a festival headliner above classic bands like Helloween.

Top
 Profile  
77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 pm
Posts: 253
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:30 am 
 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I don't know too much, but I'd say so far it's been relatively popular in Japan, especially with X Japan having such success, the music being featured in anime (eg. Galneryus in HunterxHunter and Linked Horizon in AOT), and the fact that 23% of Japanese bands in the Metal Archives belong in the genre


I can confirm that Power metal is absolutely huge in Japan. I believe that Helloween were outselling Iron Maiden for quite a while over here. Whenever I go to concerts, I often see Blind Guardian and Children Of Bodom (listed as melodic death/power metal on this site) shirts.

In fact, a good way to judge it is when you go to the second hand/used CD shops over here, particularly those that focus on metal. The biggest sections are often from the bands I mentioned above. That is probably a good indication of how many records they have sold in Japan.

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1475
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:46 am 
 

I'm here just to mention that Power Metal is very popular in South America, specially in Brazil.
_________________
I watch LotR on a monthly basis
__________
My wantlist / Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 1454256
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:39 pm
Posts: 256
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:52 am 
 

77hjrttfred wrote:
I can confirm that Power metal is absolutely huge in Japan. I believe that Helloween were outselling Iron Maiden for quite a while over here. Whenever I go to concerts, I often see Blind Guardian and Children Of Bodom (listed as melodic death/power metal on this site) shirts.

In fact, a good way to judge it is when you go to the second hand/used CD shops over here, particularly those that focus on metal. The biggest sections are often from the bands I mentioned above. That is probably a good indication of how many records they have sold in Japan.

And for that I am grateful (well, until Disk Union's website got hacked). Nailing boatloads of Japanese pressings of power metal CDs for relatively cheap in great condition (sometimes even sealed) is pretty nice - even factoring in using a proxy. I acquired most of Angra's CDs for cheap this way (that's another band that's pretty big in Japan last time I checked).

I checked Oricon and Sabaton and Powerwolf actually don't chart that well over there.

Top
 Profile  
thewrll
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 am
Posts: 446
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:03 am 
 

Ludorff wrote:
Living in Quebec. I'd say that Power Metal is less popular than it was in the 2000s. Sure, a band like Sabaton can attract a good crowd, and all the classic bands like Blind Guardian or Helloween have their fans. But I don't see much interest in modern PM among the metalheads I talk to. Strictly speaking about newer bands, I'd say that cavernous death/black metal acts get more attention... Might be wrong though. Technical Death Metal is also doing well. Always been a good scene for this genre around here. Is there a new, younger generation, discovering metal with Sabaton ? Maybe.


Certainly agree. Live in the states and I definitely feel that it's less popular now, and not just because I've fallen out of love with it.

Top
 Profile  
thewrll
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 am
Posts: 446
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:06 am 
 

Ragemanistan wrote:
I know that people may hate me for saying this but Babymetal opened up Metal to many people over the last 10 years that didn't give a shit about any form of heavy music. As some of them started branching out, Power Metal would be the logical benefactor to receive a slight boost because they have singers, not vocalists. That's the closest connection to their previous musical interest. My 30 year old "hippy" neighbor only listens to Folk Music, mostly local, and Babymetal. My best friend lives next to her and her 15 year old daughter listens to Pop, Babymetal, Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica. She never listened to Metal until after seeing Babymetal on YouTube and my friend asked me for suggestions for a then 13 year old girl. So I threw her a list of 10 bands with non-assaultive lyrics, mostly Power Metal, and those were the two bands she liked.



This seems extremely rare. I see it more that Babymetal is a one-off and after they won't explore further, not that Baby Metal is a gateway. Same thing applies to certain fans of Ghost.

Top
 Profile  
yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am
Posts: 325
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:27 am 
 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I don't know too much, but I'd say so far it's been relatively popular in Japan, especially with X Japan having such success, the music being featured in anime (eg. Galneryus in HunterxHunter and Linked Horizon in AOT), and the fact that 23% of Japanese bands in the Metal Archives belong in the genre (only Monaco surpasses this, a microstate with only five bands, one of which is still active and coincidentally also plays power metal).

But why is power metal normie music in Japan?


I believe East Asian music mostly goes for lighter and more melodic styles. Also a country that produces a lot of epic cartoons is also most likely gonna produce a lot of epic music to go along with it.

Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1387
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:46 am 
 

Ragemanistan wrote:
My 30 year old "hippy" neighbor only listens to Folk Music, mostly local, and Babymetal. My best friend lives next to her and her 15 year old daughter listens to Pop, Babymetal, Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica. She never listened to Metal until after seeing Babymetal on YouTube and my friend asked me for suggestions for a then 13 year old girl. So I threw her a list of 10 bands with non-assaultive lyrics, mostly Power Metal, and those were the two bands she liked.


This is great to see/read.

Top
 Profile  
quickbeam
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:09 am
Posts: 210
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:37 pm 
 

I remarked to my wife recently about how the Paw Patrol theme has a certain power metal feel to it. Could be a factor in OP's hypothesis. :lol:

Top
 Profile  
AxeCapitol
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Posts: 417
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:53 pm 
 

What are the USPM inspired bands. Omen, Manila Road, Attacker etc. Eternal Champion I suppose would fit, any others? I have no time for the Euro cheese variety.

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1843
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:04 pm 
 

AxeCapitol wrote:
What are the USPM inspired bands. Omen, Manila Road, Attacker etc. Eternal Champion I suppose would fit, any others? I have no time for the Euro cheese variety.


I already mentioned Visigoth. Sumerlands, Riot City, Glacier, Medieval Steel, Legendry and Gatekeeper all come to mind as newer bands. Witherfall is another one if you're into bands like Helstar and Nevermore/Sanctuary. Bands like Sacred Steel and Pharaoh have been around for a long time but are well known and respected.

Top
 Profile  
Type VIIC
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:54 am
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:18 pm 
 

Kalaratri wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:
What are the USPM inspired bands. Omen, Manila Road, Attacker etc. Eternal Champion I suppose would fit, any others? I have no time for the Euro cheese variety.


I already mentioned Visigoth. Sumerlands, Riot City, Glacier, Medieval Steel, Legendry and Gatekeeper all come to mind as newer bands. Witherfall is another one if you're into bands like Helstar and Nevermore/Sanctuary. Bands like Sacred Steel and Pharaoh have been around for a long time but are well known and respected.


Medieval Steel formed 40 years ago.

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1843
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:30 pm 
 

Type VIIC wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:
What are the USPM inspired bands. Omen, Manila Road, Attacker etc. Eternal Champion I suppose would fit, any others? I have no time for the Euro cheese variety.


I already mentioned Visigoth. Sumerlands, Riot City, Glacier, Medieval Steel, Legendry and Gatekeeper all come to mind as newer bands. Witherfall is another one if you're into bands like Helstar and Nevermore/Sanctuary. Bands like Sacred Steel and Pharaoh have been around for a long time but are well known and respected.


Medieval Steel formed 40 years ago.


True. They still register as a newer band in my mind for some reason, probably because they broke up several times and only released their first proper full length in 2013 (and the fact that I only discovered them fairly recently).

Top
 Profile  
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 7579
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:25 pm 
 

I think the mid-2000s were the peak of power metal popularity in the US. Some bands, like Symphony X, are playing to roughly the same crowds now as they were 15 years ago, but they definitely got bigger in the mid 00s between The Odyssey and Paradise Lost. Iced Earth were very popular, getting the singer from Judas Priest raised their profile a lot, the patriotic/jingoistic themes seemed to resound with a lot of more casual fans in those post-9/11 years. I recall seeing a lot of their shirts back then, and being surprised that a lot of folks wearing them were only into a handful of bands, and usually not at all into anything with harsh vocals.

The European invasion of the early 00s was going strong, too. Some bands, like Hammerfall, appealed along with melodeath of the time - Jesper Stromblad of In Flames wrote much of their first three albums, which is a neat fact. I saw Hammerfall play in Worcester, Massachusetts to a full Palladium, a venue which holds 2000+. A few years ago I recall seeing a flyer for them playing a venue in NYC which held ~250 and I was surprised to see they had fallen so far, though after looking it seems like they were back to bigger venues after that - no word on how full they were, as someone earlier mentioned only a handful showing up for them. I think they've just gotten stagnant and are way past their peak, though.

Sabaton are an anomaly, they've tapped a few large mainstream niches like gamers and war history buffs, their stage show has gotten quite a reputation, and they have a large following who otherwise aren't really involved in the metal underground, fandom of metal, or whatever you want to call it. I saw them to a pretty sizable crowd (coincidentally, at the same venue I once saw Symphony X and Iced Earth do a co-headline) and their show was entertaining, even though I'm not a fan of the band. There's certainly an aesthetic appeal to them that has gotten them into the nerd-o-sphere, at a much larger scale than bands like Gloryhammer, who tap into the same thing. I've known some folks who were into gaming and loved a handful of these bands while having never been to a show nor heard any sort of classic metal like Dio or Maiden. That's a reminder of how deeply entrenched in metal culture and deep down a rabbit hole we are, posting on an internet forum on a standalone site dedicated to metal. I can't think of anywhere but here that someone might think cavernous death metal is more popular than power metal in any way. :lol:

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 545
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:44 am 
 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Jesper Stromblad of In Flames wrote much of their first three albums, which is a neat fact.


Wow I had no idea about this and I only really like Hammerfall’s first three albums.

To put Sabaton’s rise in perspective: way back in around 2006 I went to see Edguy live, and opening for them were Sabaton and DragonForce, in that order. The order would 100% be reversed if the bands were to play together today. Possibly even if you switched switched out Edguy with Avantasia, depending on the territory.
_________________
True pioneers leave everything behind

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 am 
 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Sabaton are an anomaly, they've tapped a few large mainstream niches like gamers and war history buffs, their stage show has gotten quite a reputation, and they have a large following who otherwise aren't really involved in the metal underground, fandom of metal, or whatever you want to call it. I saw them to a pretty sizable crowd (coincidentally, at the same venue I once saw Symphony X and Iced Earth do a co-headline) and their show was entertaining, even though I'm not a fan of the band. There's certainly an aesthetic appeal to them that has gotten them into the nerd-o-sphere, at a much larger scale than bands like Gloryhammer, who tap into the same thing. I've known some folks who were into gaming and loved a handful of these bands while having never been to a show nor heard any sort of classic metal like Dio or Maiden. That's a reminder of how deeply entrenched in metal culture and deep down a rabbit hole we are, posting on an internet forum on a standalone site dedicated to metal. I can't think of anywhere but here that someone might think cavernous death metal is more popular than power metal in any way. :lol:


This is a particularly important point that I think people tend to overlook. As much as we all think Sabaton is just another power metal band, it's pretty clear that their fandom is based just as much on the history themes as the actual music, if not more. I think modern power metal is especially prone to the sorts of fandoms that stick to one band with a lot of internal culture and lore rather than as a starting point for deeper venturing. I've noticed it a lot with bands like Powerwolf and Nightwish back in the mid-2000s as well. Some people will see a gateway band and just stay at the gate.
_________________
Lavaborne (Power Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com
The Skyspeakers (Heavy Psych): https://theskyspeakers.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Element_man
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:37 am
Posts: 1006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:06 pm 
 

I feel like the modern wave of power metal (ie, the Napalm Records stars) connects to a different audience and probably has more crossover with gamers than with other metal fans. I feel like Dragonforce were the first and it's sort of taken time for it to become a "thing". So many of these bands feature hyper-glossy music videos with loads of special effects and have distinct visual and musical themes that tie together. Costumes, masks, the whole thing. Oh yeah, they write fucking BANGERS. Obviously Sabaton are the breakouts but Powerwolf, Wind Rose, Gloryhammer and Unleash the Archers are doing serious numbers for themselves too. Fellowship might be next if they keep the car on the road.

If you got watch one of these bands play in Canada/USA it'll be a jam-packed full of people you've never seen at any other metal show in your life.
_________________
Jeff Black
Heavy Metal Producer.
Gatekeeper
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Top
 Profile  
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 pm
Posts: 455
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:03 pm 
 

Element_man wrote:
I feel like the modern wave of power metal (ie, the Napalm Records stars) connects to a different audience and probably has more crossover with gamers than with other metal fans. I feel like Dragonforce were the first and it's sort of taken time for it to become a "thing". So many of these bands feature hyper-glossy music videos with loads of special effects and have distinct visual and musical themes that tie together. Costumes, masks, the whole thing. Oh yeah, they write fucking BANGERS. Obviously Sabaton are the breakouts but Powerwolf, Wind Rose, Gloryhammer and Unleash the Archers are doing serious numbers for themselves too. Fellowship might be next if they keep the car on the road.

If you got watch one of these bands play in Canada/USA it'll be a jam-packed full of people you've never seen at any other metal show in your life.

A common thread among those bands seems to be that the aesthetic is ironic or deliberately over the top, especially in the case of Alestorm and Gloryhammer. But I think it's kind of unfair to lump in Unleash the Archers with the rest of those. They're far less concerned with their image than the other bands you mentioned and musically they're probably a cut above. Though that's not to say they take themselves entirely seriously, I mean just look at this.
_________________
Sestren wrote:
CoffeeCat wrote:
Are you OK?

No. No am not.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7449
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:33 pm 
 

If it is, it's certainly not translating to new bands or albums. This year's been a fuckin' wasteland in terms of releases (or lack thereof) so far.
_________________
I occasionally write and give up on light novels!
And I've got an actual, full-length novel finished and awaiting a publisher!
Also have a few short-story ideas cookin' in the oven.
Currently seeking a way to make money off of these things...

Top
 Profile  
Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am
Posts: 290
Location: The Summerlands
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:30 pm 
 

Slater922 wrote:
It'd be cool, but I wish it was Blind Guardian and Rhapsody leading the scene rather than Sabaton and Powerwolf.


If only. Pretty much every band in this genre getting recognition these days is a bullshit gimmick band. It's all got such a click baity vibe. The older bands were nerdy and admittedly cheesy, but they at least had music that could stand on its own.
_________________
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
YEEEEP DIS DAT FAKE BATUSHKA

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 32320
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:15 am 
 

Element_man wrote:
I feel like the modern wave of power metal (ie, the Napalm Records stars) connects to a different audience and probably has more crossover with gamers than with other metal fans. I feel like Dragonforce were the first and it's sort of taken time for it to become a "thing". So many of these bands feature hyper-glossy music videos with loads of special effects and have distinct visual and musical themes that tie together. Costumes, masks, the whole thing. Oh yeah, they write fucking BANGERS. Obviously Sabaton are the breakouts but Powerwolf, Wind Rose, Gloryhammer and Unleash the Archers are doing serious numbers for themselves too. Fellowship might be next if they keep the car on the road.

If you got watch one of these bands play in Canada/USA it'll be a jam-packed full of people you've never seen at any other metal show in your life.


It's definitely a niche - everything you said is true and also I unfortunately find a lot of this shit to be totally unbearable.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Ankara
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:02 am 
 

PM is buried pretty deep in the US underground metal scene. Not much demand for it.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jester66, S9NE, sveik and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group