Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 am 

https://www.newsweek.com/metallica-stra ... ts-1731829

Spoiler: show
Metallica experienced a recent surge in popularity after a new generation of music fans discovered them when Netflix's Stranger Things used their 1986 song "Master of Puppets" during a pivotal scene. However, now they're being scrutinized by many of those young fans after a TikTok video that alleges "problematic" past behavior went viral.

A TikTok user who goes by the name Serena Trueblood has been posting videos discussing various artists and past controversies associated with them. Over the weekend, Trueblood featured Metallica. She shows video footage of former bassist Jason Newsted appearing to do a Nazi salute onstage, as well as band members making jokes onstage about the then-recent death of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain.

Metallica singer James Hetfield was also accused of racism in Trueblood's TikTok post. One clip shows Roberta Freeman, a backup singer for Guns N' Roses when the two rock acts toured together in 1992, alleging Hetfield used the N-word to describe Ice-T. Another video included by Trueblood showed an archival MTV News segment that reported Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose also accused Metallica of racism in regards to Ice-T and his band Body Count.

Trueblood's TikTok video quickly filled up with comments, such as one person writing, "I wish I watched this before I bought my Metallica shirt." The debate carried over to Twitter, where many people defended the heavy metal act from being "canceled."

(...)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 am 

At this point, the people who complain about "cancel culture" are getting to be more insufferable than the people perpetuating it. Metallica isn't going anywhere, calm down.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 am 

I swear people are so fucking bored to make these stories into anything.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 am 

Now, now. TikTok is a garbage platform full of garbage content and shit-stirrers, but there's nothing reprehensible in the slightest about acknowledging this behavior.

And yeah, Metallica's the biggest metal band in the world. No way they're going anywhere.

Crossbones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:32 am 

Ah, the online witch hunts continue, as brought to you by Gen Z. Can't wait for them to grow and mature.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:41 am 

Anything to get clicks and views is all that matters for these online creators.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 am 

No they're not. It's clickbait as always. Three people saying a thing on TikTok is not news.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:55 am 

I mean, it's kinda always been an open secret in the metal community that Metallica dabbled in some edgy shit like that back then. There's that infamous picture of James and Lars doing the Nazi salute. Is it immature and reprehensible at best? Yes. Is there anything wrong with acknowledging it? No. However, even though I almost always side with the people doing the "cancelling", this is probably the case in which I am most likely to dismiss what this TikToker is talking about as being in the past and not representative of the band as people today. I mean, Lars is still a giant douchebag. But it's not like Metallica goes on rants against liberals on Twitter and throws their support to right wing political candidates all the time, in which case this "revelation" would be more questionable.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:05 pm 

Watching hundreds if not thousands of idiots get outsmarted for clicks and engagement is probably one of the best things I could hope for these days. The trash taking itself out. Looking forward to more of it.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 pm 

Just wait until people find out about what Metallica did when fans shared some of their songs online!

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
At this point, the people who complain about "cancel culture" are getting to be more insufferable than the people perpetuating it. Metallica isn't going anywhere, calm down.

100%

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:27 pm 

Imagine if they used Ace of Spades or Raining Blood instead of Master of Puppets

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:51 pm 

Good. Lock them up.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:50 pm 

one, ONE person on TikTok is posting these things, but because they'll get a juicy "cancel culture" article they run it like it's a much bigger deal. it's total nonsense. "cancelling" isnt a thing and with a few exceptions has never been. Metallica are just fine, and the GRAND majority of fans both before and after Stranger Things won't know or care about this.

is what they did back then stupid? yeah. are they terrible people? i mean they could be, but not because of this stuff. do they deserve to be blasted about it? i guess that's opinion but i'd say no. they did some dumb, edgy shit in the 80s and 90s when the consequences of those edgy behaviors werent fully considered.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:55 pm 

A wannabe-influencer on social media wrote:
I Don't Like Metallica

Click-desperate web outlets of struggling print media wrote:
Metallica Is Getting Cancelled

Perspective-deprived observers on social media wrote:
The World Has Gone Mad

Get off the internet and chill the fuck out.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:26 pm 

Waiting for kids on Tik Tok to discover St. Anger and Lulu.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:37 pm 

Crossbones wrote:
Ah, the online witch hunts continue, as brought to you by Gen Z. Can't wait for them to grow and mature.

Geez, what's with this ageist crap?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:13 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Crossbones wrote:

Geez, what's with this ageist crap?

I'm kind of feeling left out, millennials aren't targeted as much anymore. But I guess even the youngest millennials are out of college now, so it was time for a new target.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:15 pm 

orphy wrote:
Just wait until people find out about what Metallica did when fans shared some of their songs online!

Yes, because wanting to get paid for what you do, even if it's music, is a bad thing. I find it bizarre that people still think Metallica was in the wrong with that lawsuit.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:27 pm 

Some random person points out some shitty shit that Metallica did back in the day, and all of a sudden there's a news report on it?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:39 pm 

Well, Internet journalism is mostly based on sensationalism, maximizing clicks, and drawing eyes. Remember when Loudwire picked up that parody Twitter account of Chris Barnes that said "every death metal singer sucks except me" and reported that Barnes himself actually said it? And then they sheepishly published a retraction a short time later?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:43 pm 

Yeah this kinda just happens. Kids are bored. They'll forget about Metallica in a week or two.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:59 pm 

Even if this stuff is true, it was 30 years ago. People can't change in 30 years?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:09 pm 

This reminds me of kids losing their shit when they brought back Friends on Netflix.

It's just a handful of kids who have not done their homework properly getting pissed at stuff that happened decades ago and that's most definitely not representative of the band that Metallica is today.

This is hardly "news" and it's most definitely not going to affect Metallica negatively.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:14 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Even if this stuff is true, it was 30 years ago. People can't change in 30 years?

I feel like metal culture (well, music culture at large tbh) has an odd double standard where we deify people for the art they made thirty years ago, but the things they actually said and did thirty years ago are totally not applicable because they "are a totally different person now." I'm not gonna cancel Metallica just for being a bunch of edgy dipshits like most of us were in our youth, especially when Dave Mustaine is much lower hanging fruit. But still, which is it, guys?

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:27 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
orphy wrote:

Yes, because wanting to get paid for what you do, even if it's music, is a bad thing. I find it bizarre that people still think Metallica was in the wrong with that lawsuit.

Fucking WOOSH, dude.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:33 pm 

There are far better reasons for cancelling Metallica than what some random Tik Tok user said. For example, their last good album was 31 years ago. That should be reason enough

Nobody is cancelling Metallica btw, this is just alt-right clickbait.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:39 pm 

This shit's old news and it pops up every 4 or 5 years it seems. They'll be fine
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:42 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:

I feel like metal culture (well, music culture at large tbh) has an odd double standard where we deify people for the art they made thirty years ago, but the things they actually said and did thirty years ago are totally not applicable because they "are a totally different person now." I'm not gonna cancel Metallica just for being a bunch of edgy dipshits like most of us were in our youth, especially when Dave Mustaine is much lower hanging fruit. But still, which is it, guys?

Is there an issue with Master or Puppets? Is it a neonazi album? Does is have the n-word in it's lyrics?
Is there an issue withe the guys in Metallica nowadays? Are they using the n-word in their interviews? Are they throwing the Nazi salute on their pictures?

Where is that double standard you are talking about?

It seems pretty obvious why we still respect Master of Puppets and the musicians who created it, while still understanding that we shouldn't judge men in their 60s for edgy shit they did in their 20s, especially if it's not representative of who they are now.

Gravetemplar wrote:
There are far better reasons for cancelling Metallica than what some random Tik Tok user said. For example, their last good album was 31 years ago. That should be reason enough

You think people should be cancelled because you don't like their music?

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:02 pm 

Metallica couldn't cancel themselves even if they wanted to. Hell, Lulu probably sold more than the average band could hope for. They and many generations of their families will never have to scrape to pay for groceries.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 pm 

This is "news" because of the 24/7 cycle and necessity for constant copy in the newsroom.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:18 pm 

I like how this tik tok girl heard a little bit of Master in ST and immediately went and bought a t-shirt like who does that lmao

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:19 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Gravetemplar wrote:

that was a pretty obvious joke.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:57 pm 

VaderCrush wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Gravetemplar wrote:

that was a pretty obvious joke.

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:36 pm 

Newsweek is such a rag.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:55 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Jokes are supposed to be funny.

LOL

I know you were being serious but that was actually pretty funny. Harsh but funny.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:56 pm 

I boycotted them decades ago for bad music. Meh.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:06 am 

pyratebastard wrote:

100%

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 am 

Anyone who complains about cancel culture or being "woke" GTFO.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:59 am 

Bottom line: Almost everyone at some point, during some drunken monologue, or just as a product of being young, stupid and thoughtless, has probably put their foot in their mouth or said or done something utterly stupid, inappropriate, and which they have later regretted.

While I agree that anyone who complains about cancel culture or being "Woke" should indeed "GTFO" I would also argue that, to an extent, we can cut some people some slack once in a while, and forgive them for such occasional gaffes. Especially if it was long enough ago. Lord knows, when I was a kid, I said some pretty stupid crap which I certainly regret, and would never say now.

Because there is a huge difference between an occasional thoughtless or dumb/inappropriate comment that you later regret, and people who shamelessly spout off that kind of crap on a regular basis, and have utterly no remorse about it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next