Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:34 am 

This is one of those rare occasions where it is fine to cut people some slack, because like I said earlier, it's not like Metallica continue to do this to this day. It's gonna be interesting to see what they say in their defense, if anything at all. That will be a telling moment. If they do respond and own up and express regret, no matter how long ago it happened, that'll be at least worthy of respect. If they dig in their heels and Lars starts crying about being cancelled, that'll be eyebrow-raising.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:59 am 

It's an article based off some posts from not particularly influential tiktok and twitter users. Bottom of the barrel clickbait journalism technique - "People on Twitter were saying this about x/y/z popular cultural figure" - find a couple tweets and bang, your job is done; it's just filler content. This would have to gain way more traction than it has now to even be a blip on Metallica/their agents' radar.

Crossover_Kid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:38 am 

Just wait until she finds out about AxCx and The Mentors.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:14 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
If they do respond and own up and express regret, no matter how long ago it happened, that'll be at least worthy of respect.

Isn't this attitude kind of condescending?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:35 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:
Even if this stuff is true, it was 30 years ago. People can't change in 30 years?

I feel like metal culture (well, music culture at large tbh) has an odd double standard where we deify people for the art they made thirty years ago, but the things they actually said and did thirty years ago are totally not applicable because they "are a totally different person now." I'm not gonna cancel Metallica just for being a bunch of edgy dipshits like most of us were in our youth, especially when Dave Mustaine is much lower hanging fruit. But still, which is it, guys?

Is there an issue with Master or Puppets? Is it a neonazi album? Does is have the n-word in it's lyrics?
Is there an issue withe the guys in Metallica nowadays? Are they using the n-word in their interviews? Are they throwing the Nazi salute on their pictures?

Where is that double standard you are talking about?

It seems pretty obvious why we still respect Master of Puppets and the musicians who created it, while still understanding that we shouldn't judge men in their 60s for edgy shit they did in their 20s, especially if it's not representative of who they are now.

Obviously the music itself isn't a problem, at least in this context. But there's still an angle of hero worship, which is what I find curious for a culture that claims to "separate the artist from the art" and all that noise. So a person is still the same person that made a classic album however many years ago, but they aren't the same person that said and did whatever edgy bullshit at the same time. That's what boggles my mind. Maybe I'm not articulating this as well as I could.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:41 am 

I don't have a problem with saying whatever they did was shitty, say whatever you want about that stuff. I just think the canceling rhetoric is out of control at this point. Any time someone says they don't like something, it's "they're trying to cancel that thing." Like many have said, it's become a hack clickbait trick, very easy low hanging fruit for people who have nothing of substance to complain about.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 am 

This is hilarious. TikTok kids looking into every single thing every single member of every single band ever did or said at some point in the past? Good luck with finding anyone NOT to cancel. In the meantime, get a life.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:54 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't have a problem with saying whatever they did was shitty, say whatever you want about that stuff. I just think the canceling rhetoric is out of control at this point. Any time someone says they don't like something, it's "they're trying to cancel that thing." Like many have said, it's become a hack clickbait trick, very easy low hanging fruit for people who have nothing of substance to complain about.

at this point people deliberately try to bait others into "cancelling" them because it's good business to go on a "woe is me" tour complaining about how you're being silenced, which should be all the confirmation you need that the whole thing is a joke.

LefterisK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:59 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
This is one of those rare occasions where it is fine to cut people some slack, because like I said earlier, it's not like Metallica continue to do this to this day. It's gonna be interesting to see what they say in their defense, if anything at all. That will be a telling moment. If they do respond and own up and express regret, no matter how long ago it happened, that'll be at least worthy of respect. If they dig in their heels and Lars starts crying about being cancelled, that'll be eyebrow-raising.

They don't have to own anything or cry about being cancelled or anything in between. They did something--most probably as an edgy joke--in the past, just like Max Cavalera wore a T-shirt with a swastika on sometime during the late 80s. Actually, if Metallica bother to answer any of this bullshit that would lower them in my eyes; they don't have to waste their time on stupid childish this like this and they don't have anything to apologise for.

Also this:
Lagartija wrote:
This is hilarious. TikTok kids looking into every single thing every single member of every single band ever did or said at some point in the past? Good luck with finding anyone NOT to cancel. In the meantime, get a life.

Yes it is.

Last edited by LefterisK on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:00 am 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

at this point people deliberately try to bait others into "cancelling" them because it's good business to go on a "woe is me" tour complaining about how you're being silenced, which should be all the confirmation you need that the whole thing is a joke.

It's even sillier here though since Metallica's place in the cultural zeitgeist is pretty much set. Short of murdering someone or one of the members being outed as a rapist or something, it's literally not possible that anything changes because of this stuff.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:02 am 

Obviously the music itself isn't a problem, at least in this context. But there's still an angle of hero worship, which is what I find curious for a culture that claims to "separate the artist from the art" and all that noise. So a person is still the same person that made a classic album however many years ago, but they aren't the same person that said and did whatever edgy bullshit at the same time. That's what boggles my mind. Maybe I'm not articulating this as well as I could.

Well, I can't speak for the guys of Metallica, but I know I regret some of the things I did in the past, while I'm still proud of things that I have done in the past. I'm not 100% the same person I used to be, but the fact that I made mistakes in the past, shouldn't mean that I can't be proud of other things I did at around the same time in my life. So yeah, we still respect/are proud of the guys from Metallica for Master of Puppets, but not so much for their teenage edgyness and using the n-word in interviews. And I'm assuming that's also how they feel about themselves. Or maybe not, but again, this is something that happened almost 40 years ago and that has nothing to do with the musicians they are now.

I'm all for holding people accountable for the things they do, but it should still be a case by case thing. James Hetfield is not Varg Vikernes.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:44 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:
Even if this stuff is true, it was 30 years ago. People can't change in 30 years?

I feel like metal culture (well, music culture at large tbh) has an odd double standard where we deify people for the art they made thirty years ago, but the things they actually said and did thirty years ago are totally not applicable because they "are a totally different person now." I'm not gonna cancel Metallica just for being a bunch of edgy dipshits like most of us were in our youth, especially when Dave Mustaine is much lower hanging fruit. But still, which is it, guys?

Is there an issue with Master or Puppets? Is it a neonazi album? Does is have the n-word in it's lyrics?
Is there an issue withe the guys in Metallica nowadays? Are they using the n-word in their interviews? Are they throwing the Nazi salute on their pictures?

Where is that double standard you are talking about?

It seems pretty obvious why we still respect Master of Puppets and the musicians who created it, while still understanding that we shouldn't judge men in their 60s for edgy shit they did in their 20s, especially if it's not representative of who they are now.

Gravetemplar wrote:
There are far better reasons for cancelling Metallica than what some random Tik Tok user said. For example, their last good album was 31 years ago. That should be reason enough

You think people should be cancelled because you don't like their music?

Cancelled as in "I really don't care about them anymore", but it was meant to a tongue-in-cheek.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:35 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Cancelled as in "I really don't care about them anymore", but it was meant to a tongue-in-cheek.

Haha! I know, I figured you didn't mean "cancelled" like that. But I had to say something. I don't get the hate for their post St.Anger stuff. Well, except for LuLu, but you know what I mean.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:55 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Haha! I know, I figured you didn't mean "cancelled" like that. But I had to say something. I don't get the hate for their post St.Anger stuff. Well, except for LuLu, but you know what I mean.

I don't really hate them either to be honest, I just think they are unremarkable.

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm 

CANCEL CULTURE SUCKS!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm 

No, it doesn't. This case is a complete anomaly.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:13 pm 

Yes, Metallica did shit in the past, the guys from Darkthrone too, even Justin Bieber did, but they've moved on, apologized, did symbolic gestures as an apology and became better people ever since. What's new? Every single one of us did a bunch of shit we certainly regret, when we were younger and for youngsters who had the spotlights on themselves, just like the Metallica dudes, the tendency is to demonstrate even more edgy behaviours.

Incredible how some people will literally just scatter around someone else's life curricula so they can find a tiny and irrevelant information to denigrate whomever their targeting, on their current self. Whomever job recruiter is going to find me whenever I need, I seriously hope it isn't a metalhead.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:52 pm 

Metallica doesnt face been 'cancelled'. Not sure which is worse, the people who complain about cancel culture or the people that spend their free time scouring the internet, desperately looking for something a famous artist or musician did or said 30 years that might be considered 'problematic' 30 years later, and then make a tiktok video about it. Not sure how these people function in a normal society.

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:14 pm 

The thought of Lars being in an online struggle session is kind of amusing.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:00 am 

Quote:
Not sure which is worse, the people who complain about cancel culture or the people that spend their free time scouring the internet, desperately looking for something a famous artist or musician did or said 30 years that might be considered 'problematic' 30 years later, and then make a tiktok video about it.

The latter is worse, obviously.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:49 pm 

I feel like this thread has just become a magnet for people to crawl out of the woodwork and complain about cancel culture as a whole.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:22 pm 

Axl Rose accusing someone of racism is pretty funny. That guy really is one in a million.

untappd: patrick_g

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:07 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Axl Rose accusing someone of racism is pretty funny. That guy really is one in a million.

Nice play on words!

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:37 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I feel like this thread has just become a magnet for people to crawl out of the woodwork and complain about cancel culture as a whole.

As well as people complaining about people complaining about cancel culture.

No. No am not.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:25 am 

We really don't need a thread about what stupid Tiktoker drama.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2