Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:28 pm 

Do you know any great albums that are forgotten by the majority of the bands' fanbases and even the bands' themselves?

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
People always argue if Killers, The Number of the Beast or Powerslave is the best Maiden album. For me, Somewhere in Time blows them all away. Deja Vu is the band's best song, the solo at 3:25 of The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is the best the band had ever written, the opening track's intro leads are impossible to get tired of, and the sci-fi atmosphere is insane.

Kamelot - Siége Perilous
Just as good as the four albums that came after it. Sure, this one is cruder and murkier, but that just gives it a unique charm that, to me, is just spellbinding. Millennium, King's Eyes, Where I Reign, Parting Visions, Irea, Kamelot never wrote anything like those songs again.

Manilla Road - Atlantis Rising
If you liked Spiral Castle or Voyager, you can't go wrong with this one. Just as huge, crushing and monolithic as those two albums.

I hope not

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:51 pm 

Black Sabbath - Sabotage
I consider Heaven & Hell to be their masterpiece by a wide margin, but this is right behind it, and certainly my fav of the Ozzy era, for sure. "The Writ" may be their best song, IMO. Amazing record that's progressive AND aggressive. It's got an elegance to it, but a vitriolic anger is brewing beneath that classy veneer.

Death - Spiritual Healing
I love their first four, but tend to visit this one the most. The title track is Chuck's defining moment, IMO.
Yet this record always seems to stand in the shadows of Human, Leprosy, and the debut.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Most folks tend to prefer "Awake" or "Images", or even "Scenes From A Memory". And while those are all great, "Black Clouds" represents their zenith, to my ears. The songwriting reached a new level of greatness (sadly not seen since), encapsulated by "Best of Times" and the mighty "Count of Tuscany".

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Fans of early Enslaved usually boast about "Frost" or "Eld". Fans of modern Enslaved have a score of great albums to cite, but their debut remains one of the best things to rise of the Norwegian BM scene. It's hard to believe how such young fellows can compose such otherworldly, entrancing music. An absolute classic.

Judas Priest - Defenders
Until Painkiller came along, Defenders was held in very high regard by Priest fans. But it was seemingly knocked off its perch by Painkiller, as well as overshadowed by their iconic 70s material and even "Screaming", which was a massive hit which crossed over to mainstream audiences. But Defenders may be the best example of all that is/was great about the Priest, revealing a band at the very height of their powers. A 10/10 records, IMO.

Last edited by Benedict Donald on Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:56 pm 

Never been a big fan of SiT but I hear it tossed around as their best all the time on forums.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:56 pm 

Gojira - Maciste all Inferno

I was shocked to find this live album on YouTube, cause I'd never heard of it. It's pretty decent, I imagine it was really fun live.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:59 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Never been a big fan of SiT but I hear it tossed around as their best all the time on forums.

My fav Maiden by a healthy margin which, to your point, is seemingly not an uncommon opinion amongst their fans. But that opinion seems not to be shared by the band itself.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:10 pm 

Slayer's Divine Intervention and Undisputed Attitude are painfully slept on by fans. Not the best, but still fantastic records nonetheless.

CreepingDeath16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:12 pm 

Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions

Forgotten at least by the band themselves, it seems. When they played with the Norwegian Radio Orchestra and Choir, they included nothing from it.

I'm kinda shocked to see Somewhere in Time and Defenders of the Faith mentioned here, since those are among my top favourites with Maiden and Priest.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:13 pm 

Napalm Death - Words from the Exit Wound

I like it a lot. I'm more of a death metal guy than a grindcore fella, anyway... It gets a pretty good score here (75% !!) but somehow I feel the album has been more or less forgotten in time.

Slayer's 'Divine Intervention' actually is one of my faves from the band... Yes, I cannot understand why it's left under all the dust. But NOT in this flat!!!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:21 pm 

I have a bit of nostalgia for "Somewhere in Time" as it was the first tour of theirs where I actually got to go see them live. I was too young to have seen their earlier concerts, but had been a fan since "# of the Beast." And, I was a long distance runner in high school at that time, so that particular track resonated with me. I don't know if that's their "Best" album, but it is certainly a good one, better (in my opinion) than the one that preceeded it or the one they did after it.

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:36 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
I consider Heaven & Hell to be their masterpiece by a wide margin, but this is right behind it, and certainly my fav of the Ozzy era, for sure. "The Writ" may be their best song, IMO. Amazing record that's progressive AND aggressive. It's got an elegance to it, but a vitriolic anger is brewing beneath that classy veneer.

Death - Spiritual Healing
I love their first four, but tend to visit this one the most. The title track is Chuck's defining moment, IMO.
Yet this record always seems to stand in the shadows of Human, Leprosy, and the debut.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Most folks tend to prefer "Awake" or "Images", or even "Scenes From A Memory". And while those are all great, "Black Clouds" represents their zenith, to my ears. The songwriting reached a new level of greatness (sadly not seen since), encapsulated by "Best of Times" and the mighty "Count of Tuscany".

Fans of early Enslaved usually boast about "Frost" or "Eld". Fans of modern Enslaved have a score of great albums to cite, but their debut remains one of the best things to rise of the Norwegian BM scene. It's hard to believe how such young fellows can compose such otherworldly, entrancing music. An absolute classic.

Judas Priest - Defenders
Until Painkiller came along, Defenders was held in very high regard by Priest fans. But it was seemingly knocked off its perch by Painkiller, as well as overshadowed by their iconic 70s material and even "Screaming", which was a massive hit which crossed over to mainstream audiences. But Defenders may be the best example of all that is/was great about the Priest, revealing a band at the very height of their powers. A 10/10 records, IMO.

Sabotage is also one of my favorite Ozzy Sabbath albums, second only to Master of Reality. Symptom of a Universe is a milestone, and Megalomania and The Writ are epic masterpieces.

Spiritual Healing used to be one of my favorite Death albums back when I was a Schuldiner fanboy. I only disliked the uninteresting drumming, flat production and a few moments of Low Life. But yeah, the title track is brilliant. And Altering the Future is evil as fuck.

Defenders is also a masterpiece. Love Bites and Heavy Duty are a bit boring and too arena-ish for my taste, but the rest is metal in its purest form. Freewheel Burning, Jawbreaker, The Sentinel, no arguing about these songs: they are classics. And Night Comes Down is a pretty underrated ballad.

As for DT and Enslaved, never listened to them all that much, so I can't comment on them.

Slater922 wrote:
Slayer's Divine Intervention and Undisputed Attitude are painfully slept on by fans. Not the best, but still fantastic records nonetheless.

I've gotta check out Divine Intervention once more. It kinda went in through one ear and out of the other (and quite honestly, I was never all that crazy over Slayer, so maybe that's why it did nothing for me), but I don't remember it being bad. Undisputed Attitude I can live without. The distorted vocals alone ruin it for me.

I hope not

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:52 pm 

What the heck is going on in this thread!? Sabotage, Somewhere in Time, Spiritual Healing, and Defenders of the Faith are some of the most famous metal albums of all time. Not only are they not "forgotten" by the bands, they have massive public praise and love to this day.

And just about every black metal and Enslaved fan loves Vikingligr Veldi. Including the band themselves. They even played the album in full FOUR DAYS AGO :lol:

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:04 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
What the heck is going on in this thread!? Sabotage, Somewhere in Time, Spiritual Healing, and Defenders of the Faith are some of the most famous metal albums of all time. Not only are they not "forgotten" by the bands, they have massive public praise and love to this day.

this. those are all albums that are mentioned in every other thread here all the time

also, i've felt like kreator's debut, endless pain seems to never be mentioned when everything between pleasure to kill and coma of souls get their praise

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:20 pm 

Same thing going on as in that other thread, people just seem to desperately want to feel like their favorite album is UNDERRATED or UNKNOWN regardless of the reality of the situation.
Guitars for Drawn and Quartered, death metal on Krucyator Productions.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:15 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Same thing going on as in that other thread, people just seem to desperately want to feel like their favorite album is UNDERRATED or UNKNOWN regardless of the reality of the situation.

Not exactly.
These albums are highly rated on metal sites such as this one, but are far less heralded out in the broader world, or by the bands themselves.

Sabotage material was rarely played live during their various reunions with Ozzy......same for Maiden with SIT.
I am surprised to see Spiritual Healing defended so, being that their earliest and later progressive stuff garners more praise.

I was not, however, aware of the fact that Enslaved is performing their debut in full. That's great to see. Glad it's getting the attention.

HighwayCorsair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:23 pm 

These are super well known classics in any circle but whoever cares about the Grammys....this is a metal forum, not Rolling Stone. Surely there needs to be some cap on whatever audience you're looking at or anything selling worse than Metallica is an underground, underrated gem in comparison.
Guitars for Drawn and Quartered, death metal on Krucyator Productions.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:54 pm 

I really want whatever drugs some of y'all are on, cause if it makes you think an album like "Spiritual Healing," which has been reissued as recently as last year, is "forgotten," that's some crazy shit.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:

Meh, it has a decidedly "untrue" circus music aura about it. If there were at least two more tracks with the quality and atmosphere of "Vetrarnott", I'd grant it the "classic" tag as well.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:29 pm 

Amon Amarth's The Crusher always seems to be ignored, seen them a few times and nothing from that album was ever played, and for me it's in their top 3

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:34 pm 

Of all the albums mentioned above, Sabotage is my least favourite. It is weird because it begins so powerful with Hole in the sky and Symptom of the universe but then it looks like they pretend to sound a little bit progressive with long songs and some constant changes during the length of each one. It does not work for me to be honest. I tend to think Killers is the álbum forgotten by Maiden. At least they still play Heaven can wait and Wasted Years on stage until now.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:29 pm 

Burton78 wrote:
I tend to think Killers is the álbum forgotten by Maiden. At least they still play Heaven can wait and Wasted Years on stage until now.

Yeah, it seems that only Wrathchild is ever played regularly from that album.

No. No am not.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:03 am 

orphy wrote:
I really want whatever drugs some of y'all are on, cause if it makes you think an album like "Spiritual Healing," which has been reissued as recently as last year, is "forgotten," that's some crazy shit.
That doesn't count for much when you hardly see any discussion of it when it comes to Death's body of work, though...

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:55 am 

Grave Digger's best albums, namely the debut and especially the sophomore Witch Hunter are two albums I have never seen mentioned almost anywhere; two albums I like very much and the only couple of recordings from Grave Digger I actually care for or could ever listen to.

kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:03 am 

Smalley wrote:
orphy wrote:
That doesn't count for much when you hardly see any discussion of it when it comes to Death's body of work, though...

Which seems odd, given the fact how good this transitional period album is, how catchy and ear-friendly relatively to Death's other albums it is, and the buzz is generated back at the day upon its release; this album was a big deal in the underground!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:28 am 

Maybe not as much by the fans, but Belphegor don't seem to acknowledge their first three in their live sets. On setlist fm you need to go back to 2014 before you see their third album, and then they only played the title track 4 times in 26 shows

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:05 am 

Ultimate Sin.

Not forgotten by fans, but Sharon and Ozzy are trying to forget it exsists. Which is a shame.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:13 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Ultimate Sin.

Not forgotten by fans, but Sharon and Ozzy are trying to forget it exsists. Which is a shame.

They were around the time of the reissue campaign in 2002 due to issues over Shot in the Dark. That song was the problem, not the album. They're more accepting of it these days, so I assume any issues are sorted / no longer problematic.

Shot in the Dark has been a setlist staple for around a decade I think. We got Killer of Giants in the set regularly in the Gus era, as well as the title track getting a play once or twice. From a live perspective, other albums are overlooked more these days, such as Bark at the Moon (except for the title track, nothing has been played since the supporting tour as far as I know) and later solo albums (pretty much ignored).

Last edited by lordcatfish on Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kovner1972
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:14 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Ultimate Sin.

Why is/are he/they trying to forget it exists?

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:59 am 

If we're talking aboyt forgotten albums from well known bands, I think these are prime examples:

- Iron Maiden: No Prayer For the Dying
- Mayhem: Wolf's Lair Abyss
- Saxon: Killing Ground, Metalhead, Unleash the Beast
- Helloween: Chameleon, Pink Bubbles Go Ape
- Opeth: Orchid
- Anthrax: State of Euphoria (minus Antisocial)
- Crimson Glory: Strange & Beautiful
- Kreator: Cause for Conflict
- Gamma Ray: Powerplant

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:51 am 

Power Metal is the best Pantera record. Reissue the glam-era records, you cowards.

I also find Chapter VI to be rather overlooked in Candlemass's discography. Where the Runes Still Speak seems to be recognized as a staple but the rest of it isn't as prominent.

Benedict Donald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 am 

Paka01 wrote:
If we're talking aboyt forgotten albums from well known bands, I think these are prime examples:

- Saxon: Killing Ground, Metalhead, Unleash the Beast

Good calls. Killing Ground is probably their most well-rounded album and perfectly encapsulates the 'modern' iteration of the band.
But all three of these are stellar.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 am 

Smalley wrote:
orphy wrote:

People talk about it all the time? I dunno, I really don't think this is a forgotten album at all. It does have the least amount of reviews out of all the Death albums, but it still has 21 reviews, which hardly makes it forgotten IMO.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:54 am 

On Through the Night by Def Leppard. I would argue this album is pretty forgotten since if it wasn't, then people wouldn't complain about the band's presence on this site. Same goes for Contradictions Collapse by Meshuggah.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23 pm 

At one with the Shadows by Skeletonwitch.

It's their first album, it has a different logo, some of the songs are also found on Beyond the Permafrost; the album feels like it's a demo, given all these factors.

It's not for sale on iTunes, hard copies are hard to find (or used to at least), it's not on iTunes. Apart from the songs that appear on BtP, I've never heard them play these songs live. There are t-shirts with the CD cover, that's about it (and if I'm not mistaken, they're a relatively recent addition because I was looking for one a few years ago and there was no official t-shirts with that image).

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:41 pm 

Paka01 wrote:

- Kreator: Cause for Conflict

From a live perspective, I believe this is never represented due to the drumming. I've heard Ventor doesn't like the playing style - it's a lot more lively and involved than his. Hearing any rendition Lost after he rejoined the band, they're probably right in swerving the album, as it really lacks the energy of the studio version due to his playing.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:02 pm 

kovner1972 wrote:
Space_alligator wrote:
Ultimate Sin.

Ozzy was in rehab when the writing and pre-production was occurring, he had little involvement with that project, which happens to be one of his best works.

Wahn_nhaW
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:54 am 

It's so strange seeing "Spiritual Healing" cited here. Any discussion I've ever heard about Death in my life has had the album marked as THE moment when the band became the technical beast it remained until the end. Hell, some people hate it for it and have a clear cut-off point after "Leprosy". But, whether they love it or hate it, everyone pretty much agrees it is one of the band's major turning points, maybe even their most important turning point. Even when highlighting "Human" as the full-blown realization of the band's technical approach, the debt to "Spiritual Healing" is always acknowledged. Very much the opposite of an overlooked album.

"Cause for Conflict" by Kreator was mentioned. That's a great example. Probably the biggest blind spot for most people. Love the album, btw.

Voivod's trilogy with Jason(ic) is kinda overlooked. The self-titled was fairly prominent when it came out, being a comeback for Snake, but people seemed to be disappointed in it and forgot about it soon. I don't think the band plays any of this live, right? Ok, Katorz and Infini are what they are due to the circumstances, but the self-titled one is great. The straight punk influences really come to the fore here. It's the most similar to "Angel Rat" and "The Outer Limits". The songs are not quite as good, but it's more energetic.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:21 am 

kovner1972 wrote:
Space_alligator wrote:
Ultimate Sin.

Mainly royalties, hence why it hasn't be released.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:16 am 

Paka01 wrote:

- Anthrax: State of Euphoria (minus Antisocial)

They' ve played 'Be All, End All' quite a bit live, too.

Scott Ian does not love the album, as he's said that most of the songs are practically unfinished. Too tight spot between tours for recording that album...

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am 

Re: Sabbath.... They haven't played anything off Sabotage since the Ozzy reunion because Ozzy can't hit the high notes anymore. In fact, the only two post MOR songs they ever played post reunion were Snowblind and Dirty Women. I think the most overlooked Ozzy era Sabbath albums are Vol 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. The most overlooked Sabbath albums regardless of era/vocalist I would say are Born Again and Tyr.

For Priest I would definitely say Rocka Rolla. Pretty fucking great album.... People tend to use the piss-poor excuse that its not as good as Sad Wings so it deserves to be overlooked.... with that logic almost every metal album ever made deserves to be overlooked.

I think Therion's two transitional albums Symphony Masses and Lepaca Kliffoth are really overlooked.... Most people treat Theli as their first really worthwhile album, while a small minority say everything after Beyond Sanctorum sucks. Where's the love for the two albums in between?

Ace_Rimmer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:54 am 

Speaking of Siege Perilous. For some reason that one has never clicked with me. I should give it more spins as every Khan album after that is great.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next